Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member Four Rings durfA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Q5 3.0T SLine

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    It is a full swap, no way to do half. All A8 parts or none.
    2012 A7 3.0t
    2005 allroad 2.7 STUKLR tuned

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Any reason you didn't install the brakes other than the bleeding?
    Florett Silver/Black/Black Headliner
    S-Line Sport Pkg, LED Headlamps, 55% PhotoSync Tints ,S6 Oem Trunk Spoiler.
    Sport pedals,S6 Diffuser,AWE Touring Exhaust,S Line Flatbottom, S7 Wheels.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Q5 3.0T SLine

380mm A8 Brake Upgrade for A6/A7

It is a nice looking upgrade, but I would rather have better rotor options. I hoped that the rotors will be fine. I didn't see anything that would prevent me from running them, but I have had cheap rotors rust quick and last for 2 years. So I was gonna clean oil off and then spray the hats with 2000 degree paint.

With oem 2piece rotors I would have cleaned/smoothed the calipers and powdercoated to a very clean finish.

I am still gonna clean/powder coat them but I'll wind up selling instead of install. I feel that Q5,A4,S4 owners will see a bigger improvement than I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2012 A7 3.0t

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by durfA4 View Post
    It is a nice looking upgrade, but I would rather have better rotor options. I hoped that the rotors will be fine. I didn't see anything that would prevent me from running them, but I have had cheap rotors rust quick and last for 2 years. So I was gonna clean oil off and then spray the hats with 2000 degree paint.

With oem 2piece rotors I would have cleaned/smoothed the calipers and powdercoated to a very clean finish.

I am still gonna clean/powder coat them but I'll wind up selling instead of install. I feel that Q5,A4,S4 owners will see a bigger improvement than I would.

I see, i'm with you on the rotor options.. I like the ECS 365mm 2 piece wave rotors for the RS5 though, I thought about tackling that or even the RS brake setup from killer brakes, I just don't know what i want to do with this car so i'm reluctant to buy anymore parts just yet until i'm sure what i'm doing.

Veteran Member Three Rings A6sport's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 A6, D4 A8L, MK1 TT Roadster, Lexus RX 400h

Quote Originally Posted by p3u View Post
    Interesting...I knew they shared the same caliper, but didn't realize it was a larger rotor.
    This is what they look like behind 20" wheels...
    2012 A7 PP| S Exterior| RS Carbon Optics| Carbon spoiler| Carbon diffuser| Aluminum mirrors/ carbon pods| V6T badges| Smoked tail, side markers| 21" High-Gloss Black Blade wheels| S sport exhaust| APR Stage II 93 dual pulleys| RS7 intake| S Sport Brembos Ft/RR| TAG B/O rings

Alcantara Exclusive Interior| Super sport seats| FB Steering wheel| S door sills| RS shifter| quattro puddle lights
    S Aluminum Pedals| RS floor mats| S start button| Piano Black inlays| RS Seat belts| Ambient lighting|

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Can you be more specific on what exactly rubbed with the D4 carriers and C7 caliper?
    C7 A6 3.0T, Stage 2 EPL Dual Pulley, E85, 189mm Fluidampr, Autotech HPFP, Merc Quad Pass HX, RS7 airbox, 034 Motorsports hose, Front A8 Calipers, 380mm rotors, Rear S6 Caliper Carriers, 356mm rotors, E-codes, RS6 Grill, RS6 Pedals, H&R Springs, 17mm F, 20mm R spacers.

Past B6 S4 Avant
    C5 RS6 Stage 2+
    B5 S4 Stage 3+
    B6 S4
    MKIV R32

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Q5 3.0T SLine

The rotor touched the caliper, you can see the scuffs and marks. It was pretty close but it bolted on. Maybe the combination for 365mm wave rotors.

I think the difference is the clearance required for the larger pads.

I bolted the A8 caliper right on and it had an extra few mm for clearance. Minor but enough.

Used calipers are pretty cheap and cost less than carriers alone. Bleeding isn't that hard anyway but I was test fitting to see if it's an easy bolt up.

2012 A7 3.0t

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Ill be performing this swap later this week. Ill report back once complete.
    C7 A6 3.0T, Stage 2 EPL Dual Pulley, E85, 189mm Fluidampr, Autotech HPFP, Merc Quad Pass HX, RS7 airbox, 034 Motorsports hose, Front A8 Calipers, 380mm rotors, Rear S6 Caliper Carriers, 356mm rotors, E-codes, RS6 Grill, RS6 Pedals, H&R Springs, 17mm F, 20mm R spacers.

Past B6 S4 Avant
    C5 RS6 Stage 2+
    B5 S4 Stage 3+
    B6 S4
    MKIV R32

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Q5 3.0T SLine

My wife asked why I was thinking of selling the big brakes I bought.

I said well I didn't know if I would see or feel a big difference.

So I started to clean them up for powdercoat and then she said you should go ahead and install them, if you need to get the expensive rotors so be it.

Like a good husband I decided to listen to my wife and install a big brake kit.

So here is the beginning of prepping.

I painted the hats and baked them up to 600 as per the directions. The paint doesn't cure until it is heated, silicone ceramic solids in spray bond at high temp similar to powdercoat but in a spray can.

Then I started to prep the calipers.
    I smoothed out the casting marks on the calipers.

Completely disassembled them them all pistons and all fittings.

A few hours of cleaning all the brake dust out. I need to do a out gas bake to get the final residue off all the caliper.

Red powdercoat is ordered I just need to buy the akebono pads

Last edited by durfA4; 09-13-2017 at 04:45 PM.
    2012 A7 3.0t

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Ah, the games a foot! I'll play your game rogue.

Past B6 S4 Avant
    C5 RS6 Stage 2+
    B5 S4 Stage 3+
    B6 S4
    MKIV R32

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Q5 3.0T SLine

Those are much cleaner than mine were. Oh well, 80grit on a orbital sander will knock of the ridges easy.

I am guessing that you will paint them. I recommend VHT spray over G2 epoxy. Because the epoxy needs to be thinned to lay down smooth.

I am hoping that the high temp paint prevents he rotors from rusting to much. I don't truly believe that they will last 20k without developing serious pad deposits and rust flakes. I have brembo coated rotors and akebono pads for the rear so no cool wave rotors or exotic finishes for me.

If your powdercoating then the level of prep goes up. I don't like baking the calipers with the pistons and seals installed.

The seals are good to 425 degree but easy to remove and reinstall after verifying everything is good. Mine looked good and the boots were I good shape as well.

Also a powdercoat oven in the garage is a luxury most car guys should have.

Audizine
    2012 A7 3.0t

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

What size are the bolts holding the carrier to the steering knuckle?

Past B6 S4 Avant
    C5 RS6 Stage 2+
    B5 S4 Stage 3+
    B6 S4
    MKIV R32

Established Member Three Rings scmtkings4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What exactly is needed to prep the calipers for paint? Brake cleaner, towel and sand paper? For those that use vht spray, do you guys use hi temp primer first?

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Audizine mobile app
    2014 S5

AWE Touring Exhaust l ECS Intake l EPL Dual Pulley 93 l AMS Alpha Cooler

Veteran Member Four Rings ZipMeUpJ's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    hologram R8

The same way you would prep any dirty aluminum surface for painting. Clean, dry, scuff, primer (optional I believe?), paint, clear. Dont skip the clear, install will chip so much of the paint. Ask me how I know.
    2012 A6 3.0T prestige | Midnight Blue Metallic | Nougat | ACC | Stock stock stock stock stock (for now)
    2003 1.8t 5spd FW(trash) Quattro swap (in progress) | audiUP snub | Depo Ecodes | Mini H1 retro | 4300k | 07k FSI coils | BKR6E | de-badged | BC Type BR | Swift Springs | BBS LM Reps 18x9.5 | 25FTG F+R | Tasteful poke

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ZipMeUpJ View Post
    The same way you would prep any dirty aluminum surface for painting. Clean, dry, scuff, primer (optional I believe?), paint, clear. Dont skip the clear, install will chip so much of the paint. Ask me how I know.
    How do you know?

Haha only kidding. Yeah I have the clear coat ready. Does vht have a large selection of caliper paints? When I do a search I only see the standard red, black or gold color. I'm looking for a dark grey finish but can't seem to find any. Can anybody point me to any other caliper paints?

Do engine enamel paints have a high enough temp rating for calipers?

2014 S5

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Q5 3.0T SLine

What size are the bolts holding the carrier to the steering knuckle?
    Same as stock
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ach/n91147601/

Quote Originally Posted by scmtkings4 View Post
    How do you know?

Haha only kidding. Yeah I have the clear coat ready. Does vht have a large selection of caliper paints? When I do a search I only see the standard red, black or gold color. I'm looking for a dark grey finish but can't seem to find any. Can anybody point me to any other caliper paints?

Do engine enamel paints have a high enough temp rating for calipers?

VHT engine paint is very similar to the brake paint, but the brake paint is formulated to resist the added dust and corrosives from the pads and cleaners, if you use the brake caliper clear you can use pretty much any VHT ~500 degree paint, as the clear will provide the protection from the dust and oils. I always recommend to use same company products. I believe VHT is owned by duplicolor. Just use straight acetone to clean the calipers before you paint and let dry completely.

Dont use the super high temp paint unless you have an oven to cure the parts at 450 -600 degrees for 30 min.
    2012 A7 3.0t

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

To clarify, what size socket do I need, 18mm?

Also, do you happen to know the brake line size as well?

Thanks!

Past B6 S4 Avant
    C5 RS6 Stage 2+
    B5 S4 Stage 3+
    B6 S4
    MKIV R32

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Q5 3.0T SLine

tool list

carrier to hub needs a 21mm short 6 point, a 12 point with a breaker bar may round the edges when it slips. you will need a breaker bar.

brake line is a 14, open end wrench pretty basic,

t45 Torx bit for the pad spring and cover

t30 for rotor alignment screw

9mm allen socket for caliper to carrier

11mm open end wrench for bleeder valve

brake bleeder check valve and container for excess fluid

clamps to compress caliper pistons

vice grips to pinch off brake line

turn wheel so that caliper is furthest out when jacking up the car

anti-sieze

brake lube

use jack stands
    2012 A7 3.0t

AZ Member #

Same as stock
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ach/n91147601/

VHT engine paint is very similar to the brake paint, but the brake paint is formulated to resist the added dust and corrosives from the pads and cleaners, if you use the brake caliper clear you can use pretty much any VHT ~500 degree paint, as the clear will provide the protection from the dust and oils. I always recommend to use same company products. I believe VHT is owned by duplicolor. Just use straight acetone to clean the calipers before you paint and let dry completely.

Dont use the super high temp paint unless you have an oven to cure the parts at 450 -600 degrees for 30 min.
    Great, thanks for this. I do have vht caliper clear coat.

When you say to not use super high temp paint, you would not classify 900* as super high temp right? I believe thats what vht paint is rated to

2014 S5

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Q5 3.0T SLine

Great, thanks for this. I do have vht caliper clear coat.

When you say to not use super high temp paint, you would not classify 900* as super high temp right? I believe thats what vht paint is rated to

check the label, if it require heating to cure then yes, I don't think the less than 1000 degree paints do. That makes a huge difference in the longevity of the paint, basically it is dry to the touch but doesnt cure until it has be hot and then oil stains or it abosorbs dust. Basically wasting your time. THe only reason I painted my rotor hats is that I knew I could heat them up. they are not as high quality as brembo or zimmerman and just feel they will rust if I look at them wrong. the pad area is always cleaned by the pads, but the hub look nasty after a week why spend the money and time to make the brakes 1" larger. it should be noticable increase in leverage and pad size, so I expect a nice grip but no change in pedal feel.
    2012 A7 3.0t

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Done.

I'll report back how they work tomorrow.

Installation was easy enough, with me taking my time it took just over 2 hours to complete. More time was spent cleaning and painting the parts.

Past B6 S4 Avant
    C5 RS6 Stage 2+
    B5 S4 Stage 3+
    B6 S4
    MKIV R32

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Done.

I'll report back how they work tomorrow.

Installation was easy enough, with me taking my time it took just over 2 hours to complete. More time was spent cleaning and painting the parts.

Awesome, can't wait for feedback.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Q5 3.0T SLine

FYI ecs two piece RS4 stage 4 380mm rotors are in sale https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...03755ecs01akt/

2012 A7 3.0t

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

If I didn't just buy some e codes I'd consider grabbing a set. Great deal!

Past B6 S4 Avant
    C5 RS6 Stage 2+
    B5 S4 Stage 3+
    B6 S4
    MKIV R32

AZ Member #

So did yo use the A6 caliper with the A8 bracket or the complete A8 caliper & bracket setup for the front setup?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by bonafyd View Post
    So did yo use the A6 caliper with the A8 bracket or the complete A8 caliper & bracket setup for the front setup?
    I believe the a6 caliper is the exact same as the a8 caliper. Only the bracket is the different

2014 S5

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Both caliper and carrier are different. You need the complete set.

Past B6 S4 Avant
    C5 RS6 Stage 2+
    B5 S4 Stage 3+
    B6 S4
    MKIV R32

AZ Member #

Both caliper and carrier are different. You need the complete set.
    Cool..

Veteran Member Three Rings A6sport's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 A6, D4 A8L, MK1 TT Roadster, Lexus RX 400h

I'm just loving following this thread! C7 guys after my own heart!
    2012 A7 PP| S Exterior| RS Carbon Optics| Carbon spoiler| Carbon diffuser| Aluminum mirrors/ carbon pods| V6T badges| Smoked tail, side markers| 21" High-Gloss Black Blade wheels| S sport exhaust| APR Stage II 93 dual pulleys| RS7 intake| S Sport Brembos Ft/RR| TAG B/O rings

Alcantara Exclusive Interior| Super sport seats| FB Steering wheel| S door sills| RS shifter| quattro puddle lights
    S Aluminum Pedals| RS floor mats| S start button| Piano Black inlays| RS Seat belts| Ambient lighting|

AZ Member #

I picked up a caliper off an a7 that had 79k miles....whats the life expectancy of a caliper? Its about 6 years old now

What are some of the things I should look out for when inspecting it? Obviously the rubber boots is easy to inspect. Should I just do a re-build immediately upon receiving the calipers or is there a chance I might be okay keeping it as is and just cleaning it up?

Last edited by scmtkings4; 09-16-2017 at 11:10 PM.
    2014 S5

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Q5 3.0T SLine

I picked up a caliper off an a7 that had 79k miles....whats the life expectancy of a caliper? Its about 6 years old now

What are some of the things I should look out for when inspecting it? Obviously the rubber boots is easy to inspect. Should I just do a re-build immediately upon receiving the calipers or is there a chance I might be okay keeping it as is and just cleaning it up?

I am guessing you have an S4

First your question about whether to rebuild or not. That is definitely a judgement call. The caliper is very well machined and is all aluminum with close tolerances.

There is one O-ring and one dust boot. There are rebuild kits very cheap, but I definitely prefer OEM rebuild kits. That being said calipers are simple hydraulic presses. No wear and if the seals are in good condition I'll clean them up and re use seals and dust boots.

Well the A7 calipers will not work with 380mm rotors. You can buy the 356 rotors A7/A6 and have a very nice setup. 356 has a lot more rotor options. And the pads are similar.

If you are trying to 380 rotors then you need A8/SQ5 calipers. The A8 calipers are larger pads and slightly larger overall. You can use A8 carriers and fit a smaller rotor maybe the 365 RS5? I'm not sure where the pads will sit on that. But I know that 380 rotor will hit the A7 caliper with the A8 carrier.

2012 A7 3.0t

AZ Member #

I am guessing you have an S4

First your question about whether to rebuild or not. That is definitely a judgement call. The caliper is very well machined and is all aluminum with close tolerances.

There is one O-ring and one dust boot. There are rebuild kits very cheap, but I definitely prefer OEM rebuild kits. That being said calipers are simple hydraulic presses. No wear and if the seals are in good condition I'll clean them up and re use seals and dust boots.

Well the A7 calipers will not work with 380mm rotors. You can buy the 356 rotors A7/A6 and have a very nice setup. 356 has a lot more rotor options. And the pads are similar.

If you are trying to 380 rotors then you need A8/SQ5 calipers. The A8 calipers are larger pads and slightly larger overall. You can use A8 carriers and fit a smaller rotor maybe the 365 RS5? I'm not sure where the pads will sit on that. But I know that 380 rotor will hit the A7 caliper with the A8 carrier.

Right, didn't mean to cause confusion. I will be going with the 356mm rotor. I've just been following this thread as it closely relates to what I'm doing.

How do I tell if seals are still good? Once I remove the pistons, what should I look for in the seals to determine whether or not they should still be re-used? Is it basically just tears/damage on the rubber seal?

2014 S5

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quick update.

I'm still breaking in the new setup, so I'm unable to provide any useful feedback yet.

Right now I'm just reflecting on my caliper color choice. Not sure I'm digging the red. May go to a more subtle black or silver.

Thoughts?

Past B6 S4 Avant
    C5 RS6 Stage 2+
    B5 S4 Stage 3+
    B6 S4
    MKIV R32

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Q5 3.0T SLine

I went black 17z calipers on my black allroad, they were hidden, and always dirty. Not to bad looked better than dirty aluminum. So I get that but you have a nice black car with aluminum wheels. So I like the contrast.

Do you have the supercharged badges? I felt that they complemented the red calipers.

As for braking improvement, does it feel basically the same? I would bet that pad compound would have a larger feel difference than this "upgrade". The differed will be reduced stopping distance a reduction of fade.

As for visual inspection of the the caliper seals. These calipers are almost half a Brembo caliper. They have larger bores and pistons but functionally similar.

Fluid enters through brake line, fluid pressure pushes on back of pistons. Silicone Square O-ring seals loosely fit in boot groove. Piston seals against and then topped off with dust boot. Very simple and minimal wear.

If you want to take them apart, I would be surprised if there is any wear or damage. You will likely need to reassemble with a little film of grease to pop the pistons into the seal and bore.

Watch brembo rebuild videos on YouTube.

You are looking for consistency, no tears, no rips, no obvious damage.

Last edited by durfA4; 09-17-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    2012 A7 3.0t

AZ Member #

Do you have the supercharged badges? I felt that they complemented the red calipers.

As for visual inspection of the the caliper seals. These calipers are almost half a Brembo caliper. They have larger bores and pistons but functionally similar.

Fluid enters through brake line, fluid pressure pushes on back of pistons. Silicone Square O-ring seals loosely fit in boot groove. Piston seals against and then topped off with dust boot. Very simple and minimal wear.

If you want to take them apart, I would be surprised if there is any wear or damage. You will likely need to reassemble with a little film of grease to pop the pistons into the seal and bore.

Watch brembo rebuild videos on YouTube.

You are looking for consistency, no tears, no rips, no obvious damage.

Yup, i've watched several of the rebuild clips on youtube. Pretty straight forward.

I guess I'll make a judgment call when I see it. I'd hate to spend all that time disassembling only to find that there's nothing wrong with it. Perhaps a good cleaning might be all that's needed

2014 S5

AZ Member #

Quick update.

I'm still breaking in the new setup, so I'm unable to provide any useful feedback yet.

Right now I'm just reflecting on my caliper color choice. Not sure I'm digging the red. May go to a more subtle black or silver.

Thoughts?

I like a more subtle look. For my caliper I'll be going with a shade of grey influenced by the picture below:

Then again, my car is monsoon gray. Not sure how it would look on a black car

2014 S5

AZ Member #

Quick update.

Thoughts?

They definitely fill out the wheel a lot more. I would personally go with a cleaned up OEM silver color.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Yup, i've watched several of the rebuild clips on youtube. Pretty straight forward.

I guess I'll make a judgment call when I see it. I'd hate to spend all that time disassembling only to find that there's nothing wrong with it. Perhaps a good cleaning might be all that's needed

I like red a lot when I first got my RS7 i wished it had red. That said the black has definitely grown on me and it fits with the slightly subtle sports look I like. If I had to choose again I would keep the black.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Q5 3.0T SLine

I get that. I powdercoated a set of 17z in warlock grey, they looked amazing.

So I feel that the options are really- plain bare aluminum, black or red.
    I'm not a fan of the crazier colors like yellow, blue and orange.

I know red is overdone but I like the way it pops out from behind he wheels.

Easy to spray the calipers black over the red. All the hard work is done. Only thing is if it chips it'll be red.

2012 A7 3.0t

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Yeah, I'm going to change to color. Too flashy for my likening.

Past B6 S4 Avant
    C5 RS6 Stage 2+
    B5 S4 Stage 3+
    B6 S4
    MKIV R32