Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Two Rings ranchos's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Well Pre-sense scared me

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quiet side street, parallel parking, another car was coming up behind me, I know he saw me and he slowly went wide to give me room to swing into the space. Pre-sense suddenly hits the brakes and I thought I hit something I couldn't see. Thanks for the heart attack Audi.

AZ Member #

Similar situation happened to me while in stop and go traffic...except seat belt suddenly tightened up and pushed me against the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

yep, me too, was backing up a little to straighten up my parking angle, pre-sense slammed the breaks, flashed lights, bell dinged, seatbelts tightened all for a passing car 75 foot away.
    2017 Audi A4 Premium Plus - Mythos Black - Tech & Cold weather pack - H&R sport springs - 50% 3M tint

Established Member Two Rings NC_Detail_Garage's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Mine hasn't tripped and it's set to medium sensitivity. Are yours set to high?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Mine's set to medium, and I've had 800 miles where nothing happened.

AZ Member #

I've had it go off on me a few times already.

The most annoying one was when I was slowly backing into my driveway, and it senses a somewhat taller weed at the very end of it (like a foot high) at which point it immediately slammed on the brakes.

At least I know it works.

Veteran Member Four Rings b6onboost's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Annoying, but a little shot of adrenaline is better than hitting something.

Veteran Member Three Rings ignus99's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Loathing View Post
    The most annoying one was when I was slowly backing into my driveway, and it senses a somewhat taller weed at the very end of it (like a foot high) at which point it immediately slammed on the brakes.
    Better than the alternative for sure! I'd rather it false kick in 100 times and save me from one real hit, than to not kick in at all and damage my car.
    - Karl

Engine: GT28RS by ATP / Turbosmart 38mm dual BOV/Recirc / Carbonio CAI / APR TBE / APR Testpipe / REVO St2+ / Snow Performance ST2 / APR HPFP
    Body/Suspension: KW V2 / DPE ST-10 19x8.5 et35 / Thor Skid Plate
    Pretty Stuff: AWE Vent Boost Gauge / OEM Bixenon + V4 LED / Supertones / Votex SS / CF Hood & Mirrors / RS4 Grille & Fogs

AZ Member #

Oh for sure! I was actually pretty excited when I read that the car comes with the feature...but ended up forgetting about it until the first time it kicked in.

Active Member One Ring Sc4rCrow's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm from New York City, so pre sense gives me heart attacks all the time. I wish I could make it always off. It keeps turning back on everytime I start the car. So I make sure to turn it off in the morning. It's become a ritual already.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Audizine mobile app

Registered Member One Ring Scoobrel's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The 1st time i experienced it, i was parking close to a curb and a small wall and then i heard a grinding sound and the car stopped. I thought i scratched my rims but i saw nothing.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobrel View Post
    The 1st time i experienced it, i was parking close to a curb and a small wall and then i heard a grinding sound and the car stopped. I thought i scratched my rims but i saw nothing.
    Yup, for a second I thought I crunched my brand new car! Didn't even have plates on it yet.

Registered Member One Ring Scoobrel's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ranchos View Post
    Yup, for a second I thought I crunched my brand new car! Didn't even have plates on it yet.
    You must have been relieved to see the car was fine.

Active Member Two Rings Sojournin's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobrel View Post

I was going to post about this....it happened to me while I was parallel parking and a pedestrian on the side walk walked by....why does it grind instead of brake quietly? Is it a different mechanism for stopping rather than brake pads?
    2017 A4: Prestige/Quattro/Scuba Blue Metallic/Nougat brown/Gray oak/Sport seats/Audi Beams // Previous: '13 Estoril Blue Crystal S4 / '06 Acura TSX

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Sojournin View Post
    I was going to post about this....it happened to me while I was parallel parking and a pedestrian on the side walk walked by....why does it grind instead of brake quietly? Is it a different mechanism for stopping rather than brake pads?
    I think it's full ABS braking - because that's what ABS feels like. But seems way overkill when I'm backing up at 2mph....

AZ Member #

Agreed. I've had it happen for absolutely no reason either. Kinda ticks me off. But at the same time I have to agree that it is better than hitting something or someone. The only time I can see it eventually posing a problem is if the sudden stop actually puts me in harm's way when I'm trying to avoid and oncoming car thereby being placed directly in the cars path at a dead stop. Yeah. Not an exciting proposition but it is one I eventually expect to happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Established Member Two Rings cameraz's Avatar
    AZ Member #

My Pre-Sense has come on on three separate occasions, each time while I was driving forward, not parking. In each case, it was a warning on my VC screen only. The first time it happened, I was doing about 65 mph on the New Jersey Turnpike. There was not another car anywhere near me. Another time I was driving down a side street, about 25 mph, and the warning came on. There were parked cars on either side of me, but no moving vehicles. The third time I was driving down a secondary road at about 35 mph, and again, no moving vehicles near me.

I'd love to know what is triggering Pre-Sense because it can be a little disconcerting to expect that your car is going to slam on its brakes or something.