Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: '14 Estoril S6

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

'14 Estoril S6

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Good morning all,

I received my '14 Estoril S6 a couple of days ago, and like a previous thread stated, looked like it had been attacked by a mountain lion. Tons of fine clearcoat scratches need correction, as well as the glass is all water etched and even has some wiper scratches. This was not a surprise to me, and I'm actually looking forward to taking care of it.

Right now I have a GG orbital headed my way, but my polishes were of the Autozone variety and really were bought for guitar finish work, so I'm looking for some corrective polishes. The amount of choices is dizzying, to say the least. I do have some nice fine/medium grade clay, ONR, 2+1 bucket system with grit guards already, so I'm not starting from scratch (see what I did there? )

The side mirrors even have water etching, and I know the RO won't fit on there, so it'd be good to have a hand solution. Can you clay glass? That might be enough...

I'm going to pick up a drying MF, and some pads, but would prefer to use a one-step solution. I'm not looking for concurs, as I already keep my car cleaner than most of the lazy bums around here, so the car already looks good.

TL;DR: what one-step correction for Estoril, and what to use to fix the glass and side mirrors?

Thanks for reading through this, and I'll take add some pics as we go along.

Examples:

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    11 Second Turd, Satan's Chariot aka Minivan

Quote Originally Posted by mperfct View Post
    Good morning all, I received my '14 Estoril S6 a couple of days ago, and like a previous thread stated, looked like it had been attacked by a mountain lion. Tons of fine clearcoat scratches need correction, as well as the glass is all water etched and even has some wiper scratches. This was not a surprise to me, and I'm actually looking forward to taking care of it.
    Congrats on the new ride! You have a good mindset on attacking it too. Stay positive and even if/where some of the imperfections don't come out, stay strong and realize it is a 3-4 year old vehicle.

Right now I have a GG orbital headed my way, but my polishes were of the Autozone variety and really were bought for guitar finish work, so I'm looking for some corrective polishes. The amount of choices is dizzying, to say the least. I do have some nice fine/medium grade clay, ONR, 2+1 bucket system with grit guards already, so I'm not starting from scratch (see what I did there? )
    There are indeed a multitude of products that will tackle the job and each of us has various go-to products. Not sure on "autozone variety" means but keep in mind Meg's makes top-notch products and thankfully for folks in a pinch they are typically available at Autozone I would personally start by ditching clay-bar. Move to nano sponges as they are safer, more effective and more cost effective. Clay and waxes are what I would consider old-school in 2017. Nano sponges are best used with very soapy water and done as part of the clean up process here:

Wash: Give it a good bath with some Meg's Gold Class wash and a microfiber mitt. I'm not a two-bucket guy only because it's cumbersome and you can just as easily if not more effectively spray your MF Sponge off with a hose nozzle between sections. Keep the process simple where you can.

Decontaminate it with a Ferrous metal remover like Car Pro Iron-X. This is the first stage of decontamination and will prove safer and greatly effective. Just be sure to never do this step in the sun.

Clean the windows. I like to strip them down completely using 3D-Eraser Gel and a Magic Eraser. Follow instructions on the gel closely as if you leave it on too long it can etch the glass. Excellent at removing any and all spots and sediment from the glass thus you may not have to really do much to them other than seal them after. However, I'll cover some options on that later.

Deonaminate it with Nano Sponges. Mix up a very concentrated small 1gal pale of Meg's Gold Class and have at it. I like sponges or Nano Mitts vs using a pad on a rotary as they are easier, allow for a tactical "feel" of the surface and they are far less messy as you're not splattering water and soap all over yoursefl.

Dry thoroughly. I like to use a little ONR or better yet, Wolfgang Uber Rinseless mixed up as a drying aid to help prevent even further marring. At this point the car will have near zero hydrophobic properties so I like a little extra drying aid help here. Otherwise and I would use a leaf blower to clean it up and get the water out of all the seams. Do that after if you're going to move to polishing it so you don't get any water mixed in with the compounds which in turn could have a spec or more of grit in the drips which would them be disastrous.

The side mirrors even have water etching, and I know the RO won't fit on there, so it'd be good to have a hand solution. Can you clay glass? That might be enough...
    Use the 3D-Eraser gel there too. Very safe to use. Just be careful buffing on them with any compounds. Polish is fine.

I'm going to pick up a drying MF, and some pads, but would prefer to use a one-step solution. I'm not looking for concurs, as I already keep my car cleaner than most of the lazy bums around here, so the car already looks good.
    Not entirely clear on what you mean here but if you're looking to use an All in One (AIO) type product to clean, polish and protect, you're not going to remove all those larger scratches, thus you may only end up either working more than you expected or end up with about 80% correction. Nothing wrong with not fully correcting it on attempt one, but I would strongly suggest you use the following to just knock-it-out and be done with things:

Pad wise, either Microfiber - I love Griot's black MF pads or better yet, Lake Country's Purple Wool pads. I use both on details I do (detailer here) for customer cars. Purple wool on our paint is awesome and will barely leave a haze that will polish right out. After that correction, use either a white light polishing pad or even a green polishing pads to polish it out. Not sure your level of experience overall, but the key to corrections is to use the proper number of pads. Compounding you'll need 5-6 pads and polishing about 4-5 pads for a car that size.

TL;DR: what one-step correction for Estoril, and what to use to fix the glass and side mirrors?
    One Step: If you do really want to use a one-step, move up to an Orange Pad - medium cut and use either HDSpeed, Menzerna's AIO product or something like Sonax Hybrid NPT Paint Cleaner which is an excellent product too. It's not just a cleaner but a very effective polish with nano fillers/glaze properties, which again, if you're not going to fully correct the vehicle, will benefit you greatly.

Back to the glass, if the 3D Eraser Gel doesn't work out to remove some of the very heavily etch water marks, move to Ceriglass Glass Polish and start with a very stiff grey or yellow or even an old orange pad. Of course NEVER re-use those pads for paint. I keep a couple yellow and grey pads marked "glass only" and use them. I suggest this over a true glass-polishing pad for anyone not skilled with polishing glass as they are very safe to use. Glass pads - you have to use CarPro's glass pads if you go that route, but again, start with foam. It's all you'll need for what you have described. You may have to move to a glass pad on the wiper marks but perhaps not.

There are a ton of ceramic glass coatings and options, but lately I've really grown to love Rust Oleum's Never Wet for glass. Excellent hydrophobic properties and it last a good while too. Very good product.

Keep us posted. Happy to help.
    2014 Brilliant Black S4 | S-Tronic | 187mm APR Stage 2 Dual Pulley & APR TCU Tunes | APR CPS | Technology Package | Bang & Olufsen | Sports Differential | Adaptive Damping Suspension | Nappa Leather | Carbon Inlays | 19" Niche M131's on PSS | Peelers on LM32's for Winter | ECS TRUFit Air Intake | Strut Tower Brace | Premium Shield Elite Clear Bra | Ceramic Tint | VLED VX3 LED Fogs | Cquartz Ceramic | RS4 Grille | Viper Smart Start

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks for the great response. I've read it like 3x to try and let it soak in. Just a few points I'd like to clarify:
    - There seems to be a stigma that Autozone stuff isn't that great, although the O'Reilly's I usually go to does carry lots of Meg's and GG as well. I have some Meg's NXT 2.0 as well as a Medium Cut Compound that I've thought about using as well.
    - I just bought some good clay, and am comfortable with that. I'm not against Nanoskin, but I'd like to learn more and probably will switch once I see the light. I'm almost old enough to be stuck in my ways.

This is kind of pricey getting all this stuff on hand, between the RO, pads, washing/drying stuff, polishes, etc. I suppose it always is in the beginning, but should level out especially if I'm just doing personal/family cars.

Thanks again!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mperfct View Post
    Thanks for the great response. I've read it like 3x to try and let it soak in. Just a few points I'd like to clarify:
    - There seems to be a stigma that Autozone stuff isn't that great, although the O'Reilly's I usually go to does carry lots of Meg's and GG as well. I have some Meg's NXT 2.0 as well as a Medium Cut Compound that I've thought about using as well.
    IMO the stigma is from mainly consumers not those that do detailing on a regular basis. Take it with a grain of salt. I'm a part time pro as I have been detailing for over 25yrs but have a full time career job of course and really only do 1-2 details per week to help supplement fun-money and show my son, who helps, how he can make good money on weekends vs his friends making $8hr elsewhere. He loves it. Griot's and Meg's make some of the better products really. Hit any of the major detailing forums and those doubting it will see. I no longer use NXT as a product but back in the day it was good stuff. Still is really but there are other options for what it is. Mike Phillips at AutoGeek was personally involved in the creation and launch of NXT.

- I just bought some good clay, and am comfortable with that. I'm not against Nanoskin, but I'd like to learn more and probably will switch once I see the light. I'm almost old enough to be stuck in my ways.
    No worries. It will work. Just kneed it often to avoid marring that clay typically induces. That and longevity are the benefits of Nano.

This is kind of pricey getting all this stuff on hand, between the RO, pads, washing/drying stuff, polishes, etc. I suppose it always is in the beginning, but should level out especially if I'm just doing personal/family cars.
    Thanks again!
    Yep. But the reality is you're buying products and supplies that last for years. Pads are about $9-12 each but I have pads that have done 50 cars and are like new. I believe in buying top-notch tools, so the Flex 3401 or a strong Rupes will always be in my cabinet. Big time savers. You can keep the products to a minimum though as many do the same things.

If I had you're car, I'd use Lake Country Purple Wool pads with Meg's Ultimate Compound. Yes U.C. is the stuff from autozone :) Has a longer working time and just a tad less cut than their Pro level M101/105. Working time is key. I'd then polish with either Meg's M205/Ultimate Polish or Menzerna SF3800 on a white pad. You'll have a blue mirror when done. Seal it up with whatever you like. I personally do coatings thus prep is slightly different. I use CarPro Essence as my polish then a good SiO2 Ceramic Coating. In your case and with many dark colors, ceramics will create a "wet candy" look to the paint and darken it up noticeably for depth. I did a few spot touch-ups on my car this weekend then re-coated those areas and the difference once the coating was removed was very noticeable. Here's a reflection of my drivers door on a cell phone. I did the best I could to reduce glare/haze by shielding the lens.

My parting advice is to go slow, practice and don't get frustrated and certainly don't stress about not achieving total correction right away. Drive and enjoy that baby! Can't wait to see it done.
    2014 Brilliant Black S4 | S-Tronic | 187mm APR Stage 2 Dual Pulley & APR TCU Tunes | APR CPS | Technology Package | Bang & Olufsen | Sports Differential | Adaptive Damping Suspension | Nappa Leather | Carbon Inlays | 19" Niche M131's on PSS | Peelers on LM32's for Winter | ECS TRUFit Air Intake | Strut Tower Brace | Premium Shield Elite Clear Bra | Ceramic Tint | VLED VX3 LED Fogs | Cquartz Ceramic | RS4 Grille | Viper Smart Start

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Sorry to thread-jack, but I see some orange pads that say med-heavy cut and others that are light-med...are there really different orange pads?

You've got me curious about the purple wool, but I've heard nightmares about wool.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

The color of the pad and cut of each pad varies by manufacturer and the type of buffer. I typically use Lake Country. Rupes and Meguiars use different color pads for their individual systems

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Three Rings SlickMachine's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Friggin 2015 Honda Odyssey

Plenty of advice on here regarding product, my choice of polishes is Menzernas. I've been thru Megs (don't like). Looks like you need some pretty aggressive polish..
    I will say also that I think you will need a rotary machine to get it done. A RO will be a bitch on that level of damage.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by justcallmeblade View Post
    Sorry to thread-jack, but I see some orange pads that say med-heavy cut and others that are light-med...are there really different orange pads?

You've got me curious about the purple wool, but I've heard nightmares about wool.
    Here are a handful of examples corrected with the above noted purple wool and meg's products. I've corrected all kinds of vehicles and paints with them. The only real exceptions are Subaru's and Honda's where Scholls finishes out on the soft paint better. Occasional Nissans too. Nightmares on wool are on the very old out-dated wool. LC's Purple wool finishes out very well. Microfiber and Purple wool work great on DA Polishers. For the record, I use forced rotation Flex 3401's in my correction work.

Black FJ

Black AMG

Camaro

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Started last night with getting the glass clean. I used Larry/AmmoNYC's technique of using Invisible Glass with a razor blade followed by a clar bar, and that didn't work, so I used polish with my GG DA and that all the spots out. I then put Rain-X on the windshield as well because it works great and I had it handy. Now the windshield and sunroof look great, but still need to hit the back glass and side view mirrors.

I went ahead and tried to compound/polish out a bike handlebar scratch running down my wife's MDX and although I didn't get it, the rest of the paint looks Bonzo. I'll post up some crappy iPhone pics in a bit.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Pics as promised, albeit a little late.

Water stained sunroof

Clean Sunroof

Clean window

Wiper scratch I still have to figure out (tough to see)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Looks good thus far. Rust Oleum never wet for glass is awesome stuff too. Try that vs rain x and you'll thank me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk