Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings Seinsmeld13's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    16 S3, 09 Porsche Boxster S & 2007 GTI

2016 S3 AWD traction issue

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I had issues with my AWD last winter. My car is equipped with 4 new winter tires on 18" rims. During the first snow fall which amounted to a few inches I got stuck while attempting to get on the highway. My front tires were spinning with no reaction at all from the rear tires. I eventually shut down the traction control and rocked it out of the snow. I made my way back home. A few days later I had the car examined at the Audi dealer. At this time there was no snow on the ground. The service department was unable to replicate the issue. I was simply told to return the car when there was snow on the ground. The snow condition never occurred again that season, therefore the problem was never corrected. Now I have to wait for the next snow fall to return the car for an inspection. Has anyone else had this problem? My previous Audis were like tanks in the snow. They were all equipped with winter tires. I appreciate any reply to this problem.
    2016 S3 with 35% window tint
    Weekend summer drive 2009 Porsche Boxster S, Winter beater/wife's ride a 2007 DSG GTI/prior rides 2013 S4 Stronic, 2010 S4 Stronic/2008 S2000/2005 TT 225 ya da, ya da, ya da...........................

Senior Member Two Rings bakedcorn's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 White A3 Teknic S-Line with 19's

Quote Originally Posted by Seinsmeld13 View Post
    I had issues with my AWD last winter. My car is equipped with 4 new winter tires on 18" rims. During the first snow fall which amounted to a few inches I got stuck while attempting to get on the highway. My front tires were spinning with no reaction at all from the rear tires. I eventually shut down the traction control and rocked it out of the snow. I made my way back home. A few days later I had the car examined at the Audi dealer. At this time there was no snow on the ground. The service department was unable to replicate the issue. I was simply told to return the car when there was snow on the ground. The snow condition never occurred again that season, therefore the problem was never corrected. Now I have to wait for the next snow fall to return the car for an inspection. Has anyone else had this problem? My previous Audis were like tanks in the snow. They were all equipped with winter tires. I appreciate any reply to this problem.
    Haldex issue as reported in other forums - here is the link to one of them - http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...failure-thread

Thanks
    His - 2015 Audi S3 Technik Florett Silver Metallic on 19's
    Hers - 2016 Audi A3 Technik S-Line Glacier White Metallic on 19's

"I have nightmares that I'm going to wake up, and everyone's driving a Prius and living in a condo, and we're all getting health insurance".
    - Kid Rock

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thanks for your excellent reply Bakedcorn. I'll post a further reply once I have her checked out at the dealer. The car is parked now until the first sign of snow.
    Weekend summer drive 2009 Porsche Boxster S, Winter beater/wife's ride a 2007 DSG GTI/prior rides 2013 S4 Stronic, 2010 S4 Stronic/2008 S2000/2005 TT 225 ya da, ya da, ya da...........................

Senior Member Two Rings bakedcorn's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 White A3 Teknic S-Line with 19's

Quote Originally Posted by Seinsmeld13 View Post
    Thanks for your excellent reply Bakedcorn. I'll post a further reply once I have her checked out at the dealer. The car is parked now until the first sign of snow.
    That's patience!

If at all possible, grab a camera (gopro or other digital video camera) and attempt to spin your tires and then playback your footage in slow motion, if your front wheels continue to spin then there is the proof or do what this youtube poster did:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I0ozc0Awd4

You can hear the front tires squealing as he rips through the gears
    His - 2015 Audi S3 Technik Florett Silver Metallic on 19's
    Hers - 2016 Audi A3 Technik S-Line Glacier White Metallic on 19's

"I have nightmares that I'm going to wake up, and everyone's driving a Prius and living in a condo, and we're all getting health insurance".
    - Kid Rock

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bakedcorn View Post
    That's patience!

If at all possible, grab a camera (gopro or other digital video camera) and attempt to spin your tires and then playback your footage in slow motion, if your front wheels continue to spin then there is the proof or do what this youtube poster did:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I0ozc0Awd4

You can hear the front tires squealing as he rips through the gears
    I'll give that a try tomorrow. The car hasn't been started since October 31st. I've got her on a trickle charger. If I have that car on the road my insurance would triple as my son then would be considered a principal driver. I have two on the road now so he is considered an occasional driver. Later..........

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Big tarp, water, dish soap.

There, now you have a low friction surface to test out your AWD system. No beating on the car needed, no waiting a year (seriously?) for snow.

I did a Motor Trend driving event in Philly several years back (it was a Cadillac event), and they did this very thing with RWD cars like BMW 5 series to compare to the AWD Caddy, and demonstrate to drivers how much more sure footed the AWD was.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kretrop View Post
    Big tarp, water, dish soap.

There, now you have a low friction surface to test out your AWD system. No beating on the car needed, no waiting a year (seriously?) for snow.

I did a Motor Trend driving event in Philly several years back (it was a Cadillac event), and they did this very thing with RWD cars like BMW 5 series to compare to the AWD Caddy, and demonstrate to drivers how much more sure footed the AWD was.
    My car is off the road primarily to keep my insurance rates down. My son is an occasional driver on our policy. We have 3 cars. My son doesn't have a car therefore having 2 cars on the road he is listed as an occasional driver. If I had all my cars fully insured he would be a full-time driver and my rates would double. My S3 goes back on the road when my Boxster gets put away for the winter. That is all I have to say today. Thanks for your reply.