Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Sound system upgrade

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have the base sound system, and I am thinking about upgrading it to maybe the BO system, or another aftermarket system. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Established Member Two Rings jdfelda's Avatar
    AZ Member #

what kind of music do you listen to

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jdfelda View Post
    what kind of music do you listen to
    My two favorite genres are rock and rap, which have two very different needs in terms of speakers. I'd prefer a quality speaker over sheer power (Quality and depth over volume).

Site Moderator Four Rings Stubek's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Honda Element SC

Don't do the B&O. See my build thread for all my stereo mods because the B&O sucked.
    Kevin - Moderator, Audizine

2011 A4 Avant Meteor Grey/Black, Titanium Package, Prem+ Nav, B&O. Euro LED Tail Lights, Tint, LED license plate lights, LED interior lights, custom sub, lots of VAG updates, Eurocode Alu Kruez, Hotchkiss F/R Swaybars

Build thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ead?highlight=

Established Member Two Rings jdfelda's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 2011B8 View Post
    My two favorite genres are rock and rap, which have two very different needs in terms of speakers. I'd prefer a quality speaker over sheer power (Quality and depth over volume).
    a full b&o conversion is gonna cost more than it's worth imo... i'd suggest upgrading the current sub (you could go with the b&o one) or getting a sub in the trunk. this will add an amazing amount of depth over the stock sound. i've also heard that a good upgrade for higher frequencies is to change the little speakers that are on your dash. i think they're 3" but don't quote me on that

AZ Member #

a full b&o conversion is gonna cost more than it's worth imo... i'd suggest upgrading the current sub (you could go with the b&o one) or getting a sub in the trunk. this will add an amazing amount of depth over the stock sound. i've also heard that a good upgrade for higher frequencies is to change the little speakers that are on your dash. i think they're 3" but don't quote me on that
    How much do you think that would run?

Veteran Member Four Rings 00SantorinS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Since I'm totally a noob when it comes to the sound system in our cars can you fill me in on a couple things?

We have one rear mounted sub? where's the exact location, decklid?

B&O stock sub would drop right in, no issue if my car has the stock Audi sound system?
    Part# for the B&O sub?

If it's worth it I may pick one up to throw in.
    2010 Audi A4 Premium 2.0TQM ** Brilliant Black - aFe Pro Dry Filter|Audi R8 Coils|ECS Trans Mount Insert|BFI GS2|35% Tint

Site Moderator Four Rings Stubek's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Honda Element SC

Stock BO sub sucks. Don't waste your money on it. It is under the spare tire.
    If you just want a little more low end there are lots of ways you can do that for about $500 for amp, sub, and install that won't take up much space in your trunk.
    I have a flush mounted sub in my trunk. See my build thread in my sig.

As for the dash, those are 3". Easy to replace and you can get much better than stock for about $150/pair. Easy install you can even do yourself
    Kevin - Moderator, Audizine

2011 A4 Avant Meteor Grey/Black, Titanium Package, Prem+ Nav, B&O. Euro LED Tail Lights, Tint, LED license plate lights, LED interior lights, custom sub, lots of VAG updates, Eurocode Alu Kruez, Hotchkiss F/R Swaybars

Build thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ead?highlight=

Veteran Member Four Rings b6onboost's Avatar
    AZ Member #

In my experience, simply adding a dedicated sub & amp and turning down the bass on the rest of the speakers makes a huge overall improvement in sound. The powered sub gives you full, powerful, clear, bass and the factory speakers sound so much clearer and can be pushed louder when you tune out the muddy bass.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro, 2014 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line

There's a thread in the audio upgrade forum about the Alpine X701D-A4. It's the only aftermarket system that fully integrates with the Audi MMI system. It's built for the European market but works fine for U.S. models. It's got an integrated Nav system that can be adapted for North America. It's a direct replacement for the Audi Concert sound system. You cannot use it as a replacement for the B&O system or MMI with navigation. Details are in the linked thread.

Senior Member Three Rings IHave2Turbos's Avatar
    AZ Member #

are there any slim deck mount subs that are plug and play?
    Mods : HPA\\\ K04 / Manifold / HFC / Tune | CTS FMIC / DP / Catch-Can | R8 Coils | CR-15 | ECS Inserts | Rear Muffler Delete
    Retrofits: MMI3G High | Color DIS Swap | MMI Stalks
    Safety : Timing Bomb Removed OUT: 06H109467 IN:06K109467