Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Oil Consumption on a 2009 A4 2.0T Quattro Convertible

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Looking for some advice here.

I am currently looking at buying a 2009 A4 2.0T Quattro Convertible (yes it's on a B7 platform )with 87,500 miles from a private seller. I did my research and read up on the oil consumption issues that have plagued these engines so I called the dealership where the original owner bought and serviced the car to see what if anything had been done. They told me that the original owner had complained about oil consumption and the 1st 'test' step was carried out however it passed and they only thing they found was an issue with the valve cover which they replaced so the 2nd step was never carried out.

While looking at the car I have the sneaking suspicion that it's burning oil (oil was on Min and he had 2 quarts in the trunk), he also told me that he has had to keep it topped up. What recourse if any would I have with Audi if I purchased the car?

Thanks

Dayton4x4

Veteran Member Three Rings Luis_Heineken's Avatar
    AZ Member #

the next step on my B7 is a valve cover change. about keeping up the engine oil, no big deal, i always verify it twice a month. parts are cheap. ecs.com fcpeuro.com rockauto.com

Veteran Member Four Rings Crucible35's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    13 Lawnmower Prem. Quattro

I would stay away from that one. My '09 was showing the same oil consumption issues at around the same mileage and it meant a $6-7K engine rebuild was right around the corner. AofA will not cover the rebuild if purchasing from a private seller. If you buy this car, you will likely be positing a "misfire thread" within 5,000 miles then another asking for advice on how to get AofA to cover stage 2 of the oil consumption fix.
    '15 A4 S Line Q Tip Monsoon
    '09 A4 Premium Q Tip Meteor (Gone)

AZ Member #

Hi Crucible,

Thanks for replying.

So I'd be screwed even though this has been fully serviced by Audi, the last service was (80k) was completed at 83k. This beautiful Audi would be destined for the scrap yard because of A of A.

Thanks

Dayton4x4

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Yes. Sure you might get lucky, but the risk is huge. If you can get into something '13+ where the oil consumption was dealt with, you'd be better off,.

AZ Member #

Hi Crucible,

As this is a 2nd car for me I'm capping the budget at $11k, what about 08's and prior?

Thanks

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dayton4x4 View Post
    Hi Crucible,

As this is a 2nd car for me I'm capping the budget at $11k, what about 08's and prior?

Thanks
    I'm not sure on the older model years. I had an '09 A4 so I know the pain you would experience if you bought that particular car.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Crucible35 View Post
    I'm not sure on the older model years. I had an '09 A4 so I know the pain you would experience if you bought that particular car.
    Thanks for your help.

I've found another '09 2.0T A4 Cab, non Quattro :( with only 76k on the clock. It's not from an Audi dealer so would this be covered under the lawsuit?

Another option I've seen is an '09 A5 Cab with 120k on the clock, do you think that's worth a look?

Both cars have part of the servicing done by Audi.

Thanks again

Established Member Two Rings B8_Dude97's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Thanks for your help.

I've found another '09 2.0T A4 Cab, non Quattro :( with only 76k on the clock. It's not from an Audi dealer so would this be covered under the lawsuit?

Another option I've seen is an '09 A5 Cab with 120k on the clock, do you think that's worth a look?

Both cars have part of the servicing done by Audi.

Thanks again
    Don't do non Quattro
    The saying I've heard is"it's like drinking a warm beer, you can do it but whyyyyyy?"

09s are fine if you fix the tensioner and related 8 year old car maintenance items. I got a a4 with 65k for a steal and it didn't have tensioner fixed but I'm working on fixing it before 80 k. Audi covered my piston and rings at 45k but PO didn't get timing done so that's on me now

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

I meant to say a '10 A5 but it's the same difference, so 09 A4 with 76k or '10 A5 with 118k?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I meant to say a '10 A5 but it's the same difference, so 09 A4 with 76k or '10 A5 with 118k?
    The risk still applies to the cars you've mentioned. If it has a 2.0T in it and falls between '09-'12 model years, stay away.

Veteran Member Four Rings Zach L's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Crucible35 View Post
    The risk still applies to the cars you've mentioned. If it has a 2.0T in it and falls between '09-'12 model years, stay away.
    Not true. The generation is important (B7 vs B8), not the model year. For the 2009 model year, the convertible version of the A4 was built on the B7 chassis with a B7 engine. Much of the information discussed in this thread is irrelevant to the B7 2.0T in question. The B7 uses an EA113 engine, commonly called an "FSI" engine. Other than engine size, that engine is COMPLETELY different from the EA888 Gen2 "TSI" engine used in our 2009+ B8 generation cars.

I currently own both of these engines in my different cars. Your B7 2.0T should have engine code BWT for 2007-2009 model year. That's a good term to search to find out more info. Similar is the BPY used in GTI/Jetta/A3 and the BPG used in 2006 A4. The B7 EA113 engines did not have a faulty piston ring issue like is being discussed in this thread. Only the newer EA888 engines (code CAEB) used in 2009+ B8 cars has the faulty piston ring issue, and thus oil consumption issues.

The older EA113 is a great engine. It's actually much stronger than the newer EA888 engines, and much more reliable in many ways. The newer engines have much more problems with the intake manifold, timing chain tensioner. The earlier B7 EA113 is not plagued with those same issues. Things to watch out for on the older EA113 engine include replacing the camshaft follower in the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP). This cost about $35, takes less time than doing an oil change, and should be replaced every 40k miles on a factory engine. Tuned engines need it replaced more often.
    Last edited by Zach L; 08-18-2017 at 10:22 AM.
    Daily Driver: B8 A4 Quattro 6MT, Aruba Blue on Black, Premium Plus, Sport Package, Bang & Olufsen
    Current Projects: 2006 VW GTI 2.0T 6MT 1997 VW Golf 1982 VW Rabbit Diesel 1972 VW Bay Window Bus