Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jul 08 2016
    AZ Member #
    375924
    Location
    Wausau, WI

    Quattro works-even through concrete

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    The other night getting on to the freeway was no different than any other night. Construction, mess of cones and merge to median lane..so i thought. Seen a water truck at the bottom of the on-ramp, and then the car in front of me looked as if it drove through a 6 inch pond of water. No time to react, i to hit this "water."

    Heres the dilemma, it wasnt water. The mess was a mix of concrete that must have been cut with a wet saw, pooled up on the freeway. Almost hit the traffic cones but after 5 swipes of wipers i could kind of see again. 2 car washes, 3 thunderstorms later my car is covered in this mess! When its dry its powder but wet it turns gray, much like wet concrete. I cant get this shit off without scratching the hell out of my paint. To make matters worse, ive got a chipped windshield, busted fog light and broken passenger headlight upper bracket.

    Any ideas how to get this cleaned off, or has anybody had something like this happen in which highway dept. Has remedied. Bullshit! But hey, Quattro!!

  2. #2
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 17 2017
    AZ Member #
    401261
    My Garage
    2003 A4 Quattro 3.0 6MT
    Location
    Omaha

    ONR? DA and M105/205?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 26 2015
    AZ Member #
    339463
    Location
    Tampa, FL

    Quote Originally Posted by more_power View Post
    ONR? DA and M105/205?
    You can't use a DA with crap on the car.

  4. #4
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 17 2017
    AZ Member #
    401261
    My Garage
    2003 A4 Quattro 3.0 6MT
    Location
    Omaha

    Clay bar?

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20 2010
    AZ Member #
    59252
    My Garage
    Wrecked B7 A4
    Location
    Maryland
    Items for Sale

    Sounds like a comprehensive claim to me. Talk with the insurance folks and see if they can take care of it, especially with the damage to the vehicle. If this was in the section that wasn't coned off, you shouldn't be on the hook for it.

    If this is not an option, you may want to give the car a wash with a solution of a car wash and vinegar. I say this because concrete is quite alkaline, and most car washes, etc, try to be fairly neutral. So vinegar will hopefully be able to react and knock off the concrete. You'll need something a bit stronger to remove it. Be gentle, and see about remove as much buildup as possible with your hands/mitt/sponge without rubbing it everywhere. After you knock it back, try using [many] clay bars to pick up any of the remaining concrete. It's going to take a LONG time to get this right.

    One you've clayed the whole car down so you're not picking up anything on the clay bar, you should be ok to do paint correction and DA.

  6. #6
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jul 08 2016
    AZ Member #
    375924
    Location
    Wausau, WI

    Just to put the mess into perspective. The shit was like a title wave over the hood and windshield Thanks for the advice!

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Registered Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 10 2015
    AZ Member #
    314531
    Location
    seattle

    Quote Originally Posted by J.kaseno View Post
    Just to put the mess into perspective. The shit was like a title wave over the hood and windshield Thanks for the advice!

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    fuck, try some vinegar i mean alot of vinegar and a pressure washer on light pressure

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Four Rings Nollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03 2011
    AZ Member #
    83391
    My Garage
    B6 Avant 420-R
    Location
    077, Audiville

    Wow. I didn't know it was this bad.

    Limestone is hard to shift, without damage to the paintwork underneath. I have a feeling regardless of how gentle you are, you're going to require a paint job.
    2003 Audi B6 A4 Quattro Sport Avant, 3.0 | 6-Speed Manual Swap | BOSE | Rear PDC | Factory Votex Kit | OEM B6 S4 Black Optic Grille | Rear Tints | Black Leather | Cruise | H&R Spacers 12/15mm Front / Rear | B7 S4 OEM Alloys

    B6 420-TS Avant - RS6 4.2 BiTurbo, (BCY). B6/7 Hybrid "RS4" OEM Widebody Coming Soon.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Three Rings treysgreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2014
    AZ Member #
    137910
    My Garage
    02 A4 1.8t Quattro
    Location
    Atlanta
    Items for Sale

    I would call my insurance and file a claim. Thats insane!
    02 A4 5spd 1.8T Quattro ///
    01 S4 6MT /// - SOLD
    Instagram - s4mods ///
    http://s4mods.com ///

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Four Rings heywier427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 08 2010
    AZ Member #
    53108
    My Garage
    - Dolphin '02 A4 1.8tQ, 91 Q45, 02 caddy ext, 85 datsun 720, 71 datsun 510, 08 Ducati 848, Mk1 TD
    Location
    CT Shoreline

    How did you even drive away with out a police report? Its the town/states problem.

    That needed to be washed off immediately. You are f*cked.

    What does your radiator and condenser look like?

    Try concrete stripper, but its going to do damage to the paint. Maybe warm it up and hand apply with a soft touch, and soap off immediately.
    Be Friends with the BEST in CT

    REVOLUTION MOTORSPORTS CT

    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...rts.ct?fref=ts

  11. #11
    Established Member Three Rings BG SQ5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 21 2016
    AZ Member #
    369079
    My Garage
    '07 CBR1000RR
    Location
    PA

    Holy shit. Sorry for your luck. That's no small task. I wouldn't waste any of my time working on it at this point and would be in contact with insurance, local authorities, and professionals.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '15 SQ5 Daytona Gray
    APR stage 2 (93 v4) - Fluidampr w/iABED 187mm - aFe filter/034 tube/modified box - MercRacing stacked h/x - AWE Touring
    21" Forgestar CF10s w/295s - 034 mounts, RSB & end links - ecodes - deAuto LEDs - VCDS
    12.054 @ 113.27 (-224 DA)

  12. #12
    Veteran Member Four Rings LINDW4LL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 10 2011
    AZ Member #
    85071
    My Garage
    Stage 3 S4, E46 M3
    Location
    WI ✈ NC
    Items for Sale

    Wow. That car is ruined.

    File a claim.
    -Hayden


  13. #13
    Veteran Member Four Rings Spike00513's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 05 2013
    AZ Member #
    110766
    Location
    Earth
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by heywier427 View Post
    How did you even drive away with out a police report? Its the town/states problem.

    What does your radiator and condenser look like?

    Try concrete stripper, but its going to do damage to the paint. Maybe warm it up and hand apply with a soft touch, and soap off immediately.
    Condenser is in front of the radiator. It probably wasn't designed to be covered in concrete.
    The radiator is behind it, and might be nice to replace by now anyway, as preventative maintenance.

    I reported a local pothole I hit; it was shortly fixed afterward by a road crew.
    But my tire is still bubbled.
    Supposedly the city can pay out to fix it. If so, I wonder how to go about this.


    As for OP, never dealt with concrete yet. Not sure if this is something you take to insurance, and after they fix it, they figure out where to get the money from.
    There normally shouldn't be pools of wet concrete unmarked.

  14. #14
    Active Member Two Rings Hard-Knocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04 2017
    AZ Member #
    389855
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by J.kaseno View Post
    The other night getting on to the freeway was no different than any other night. Construction, mess of cones and merge to median lane..so i thought. Seen a water truck at the bottom of the on-ramp, and then the car in front of me looked as if it drove through a 6 inch pond of water. No time to react, i to hit this "water."

    Heres the dilemma, it wasnt water. The mess was a mix of concrete that must have been cut with a wet saw, pooled up on the freeway. Almost hit the traffic cones but after 5 swipes of wipers i could kind of see again. 2 car washes, 3 thunderstorms later my car is covered in this mess! When its dry its powder but wet it turns gray, much like wet concrete. I cant get this shit off without scratching the hell out of my paint. To make matters worse, ive got a chipped windshield, busted fog light and broken passenger headlight upper bracket.

    Any ideas how to get this cleaned off, or has anybody had something like this happen in which highway dept. Has remedied. Bullshit! But hey, Quattro!!
    The best opportunity you would have had to removed it, without or resulting in limited paint damage, was when it was still wet and had not cured/hardened. Now that it has bonded to your clear coat, only chemicals could be used to remove it and these will also damage your paint. You could try low pressure washing in a hidden area to see what happens and to determine how strong the bond between the cement paste and clear coat is. The weaker or more water the original concrete had the weaker the bond.

    Good luck but this will likely turn into an insurance claim and a new paint job.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  15. #15
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jan 02 2017
    AZ Member #
    389711
    Location
    Ontario, Canada

    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mean-Klea...28OZ/203074598

    Have never used the above nor know its chemical composition so cannot attest to its efficacy. Vinegar is a waste of time IMO- it's 5% acetic acid by volume. Post #10 and #14 sum up my thoughts on this thread.

  16. #16
    Veteran Member Four Rings Spike00513's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 05 2013
    AZ Member #
    110766
    Location
    Earth
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by Chemmie View Post
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mean-Klea...28OZ/203074598

    Have never used the above nor know its chemical composition so cannot attest to its efficacy. Vinegar is a waste of time IMO- it's 5% acetic acid by volume. Post #10 and #14 sum up my thoughts on this thread.

  17. #17
    Registered Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 10 2015
    AZ Member #
    314531
    Location
    seattle

    Quote Originally Posted by Chemmie View Post
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mean-Klea...28OZ/203074598

    Have never used the above nor know its chemical composition so cannot attest to its efficacy. Vinegar is a waste of time IMO- it's 5% acetic acid by volume. Post #10 and #14 sum up my thoughts on this thread.
    20 years as a mason and i will tell you that shit wont work, some type L muratic or vinegar will net better results and only damage (acid mainly) raw metal areas, all plastic and paint will be fine minus scrubbing in any gravel, sand or dirt.

    But like others said INSURANCE CLAIM FIRST!

    Sorry man thats a real fuckstory :(

  18. #18
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jan 02 2017
    AZ Member #
    389711
    Location
    Ontario, Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by b1337 View Post
    20 years as a mason and i will tell you that shit wont work, some type L muratic or vinegar will net better results and only damage (acid mainly) raw metal areas, all plastic and paint will be fine minus scrubbing in any gravel, sand or dirt.
    Yeah I had my doubts. The reviews were mixed, figured it'd be mild on the paint if he was going down THAT hole. The clear is so soft on these cars I can't see how you'd remove this without destroying the paint regardless of using a strong or weak acid. Spike: lmao.

  19. #19
    Registered Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 10 2015
    AZ Member #
    314531
    Location
    seattle

    Quote Originally Posted by Chemmie View Post
    Yeah I had my doubts. The reviews were mixed, figured it'd be mild on the paint if he was going down THAT hole. The clear is so soft on these cars I can't see how you'd remove this without destroying the paint regardless of using a strong or weak acid. Spike: lmao.
    ya i feel for the dude, i would be gutted, hopefully he can get it sorted out for the better

  20. #20
    Established Member Two Rings dillysd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04 2016
    AZ Member #
    387505
    Location
    Chicago

    Quote Originally Posted by b1337 View Post
    fuck, try some vinegar i mean alot of vinegar and a pressure washer on light pressure
    Ditto on this one.


    2015 S4 DSG - CTS Intake, APR CPS, 034 Trans/Diff Mounts, RS Grille, RS Fog Grilles, ECS Boost Gauge

  21. #21
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 16 2016
    AZ Member #
    370330
    My Garage
    '16 959 Ducati Panigale
    Location
    Sarasota Florida

    I worked as a concrete tech for a number of years. If even tiny bit got dried on my truck they wouldn't come off unless the bit was tall enough to sortve snap off. A thin layer of cement and sand like that won't be coming off unless it's thick enough to snap (attempt to dent your panel; or rather pop it inward and back out don't actually leave a dent lol)

    Otherwise you're kind of screwed. If you know which construction company was working there you can probably get them to pay for it; my company settled a claim for concrete that splashed onto someone's car. They're definitely not given a pass to just get caustic shit everywhere.

    Also it's caustic, so even if you do get it off in some miraculous way there is a fair chance that the paint beneath will be modified in some unfortunate way.

    Sorry man


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  22. #22
    Senior Member Four Rings eljay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13 2015
    AZ Member #
    348695
    Location
    NS

    Oh, that's horrible. Unfortunately, the car is ruined. :(
    Do your best to make a claim and hope they pay for a paint job, new headlights, new condenser, rad, wheels etc. I hope the other insurance company doesn't just total the car and cut you a check.
    2005 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Avant / 6-speed / Ultrasport - Unicorn rescue operation in progress.
    WTB: Mint condition silver B6 passenger fender.

  23. #23
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Jul 23 2017
    AZ Member #
    403469
    Location
    Indiana

    I work for a mason that started a pleasure washer company when he kept getting laid off in the winter. 30+ years later, this guy still does masonry, and has invented some machines that have traveled around the world. We do a lot of masonry and concrete work, but I am the head technician for the pressure washer side. I have successfully removed/cleaned this type of mess many times using a 1500PSI hot water pressure washer. The key is the hot water. I've used this many times on epoxied floors and enameled walls with zero damage. I can't guarantee it won't damage your paint, bit it's a place to start. Call around and see if anyone local rents hot water pressure washers.

    Like others have suggested, I'd get the insurance company involved too. The beauty of that is, once the adjuster comes out, then they can use their means to go after the city or construction company to recoup their losses.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 26 2015
    AZ Member #
    339463
    Location
    Tampa, FL

    Quote Originally Posted by tirefryr View Post
    I work for a mason that started a pleasure washer company
    Go on...

  25. #25
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Jul 23 2017
    AZ Member #
    403469
    Location
    Indiana

    Lol! Typing>me.

  26. #26
    Veteran Member Four Rings BARRY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 02 2007
    AZ Member #
    22288
    My Garage
    AE86 20v, UZZ30 LS2, 2002 A4 B6 1.8t, E63 AMG
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Items for Sale

    i'd lawyer up...file a lawsuit against either the county or the construction company.

    also...work with your insurance company because as others have mentioned...would effectively count as a total loss if you report it.
    2007 Mercedes E63 AMG - Nardo Grey, Pano, LTH X-Pipe, Res Del, ROW Box Mod, Programa ELM, UPD Arms
    2003 Audi A4 1.8t Q Avant - Maestro, 225TT Inj, TP, FMIC, Thermal R&D Exh, KW V3, BBK / Ferrodo DS2500
    1992 SC400 - LS2 6.0, LTH, Tomei 2-Way, KW V3, BattleVersion Arms
    1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S SOLD - 20 Valve, Haltech E8, Toda 272 8.5mm, Toda Cam Gears, Silkroad High Rise Headers, TRD 2-Way, TRD SS Race

  27. #27
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jul 08 2016
    AZ Member #
    375924
    Location
    Wausau, WI

    Feels like a game of phone tag. Called village, then county hwy department, then regional manager of DOT, then will probably be redirected to contracted company. Im hesitant to attept to clean it as if i do any more damage they may claim they arent liable.

    Doest pay to lawyer up as cost of that outweighs resolving the problem. The car is an older vehicle. I do not have full coverage insurance anymore so may just have to chalk it up as a loss. Thanks for all the advice! Also the comedy. I still need to figure out what this "pleasure washer" thing is. Sounds like a good time!

  28. #28
    Senior Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 27 2015
    AZ Member #
    339585
    Location
    buffalo ny

    Hope you get a good outcome but fear the car will be wrote off and they will cut you a cheque

  29. #29
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 12 2008
    AZ Member #
    25194
    Location
    Michigan
    Items for Sale

    I'm curious what the underside looks like, all the suspension bits and bushings and underside of engine. Looks like it was thin enough to get above the plastic undercarriage trays, not the type of rust proofing you want to have. Might even require a dead weight hammer to get the wheels off

  30. #30
    Established Member Two Rings BoostFreeak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 11 2012
    AZ Member #
    102034
    My Garage
    B5 S4 Stage 2 Imola Yellow
    Location
    Tacoma wa

    Quote Originally Posted by tirefryr View Post
    I work for a mason that started a pleasure washer company when he kept getting laid off in the winter. 30+ years later, this guy still does masonry, and has invented some machines that have traveled around the world. We do a lot of masonry and concrete work, but I am the head technician for the pressure washer side. I have successfully removed/cleaned this type of mess many times using a 1500PSI hot water pressure washer. The key is the hot water. I've used this many times on epoxied floors and enameled walls with zero damage. I can't guarantee it won't damage your paint, bit it's a place to start. Call around and see if anyone local rents hot water pressure washers.

    Like others have suggested, I'd get the insurance company involved too. The beauty of that is, once the adjuster comes out, then they can use their means to go after the city or construction company to recoup their losses.
    THIS!
    Ive detailed cars professionally for over 5 years and this is by far your best bet. I would take the car to a place that details and has a high reputation rather than taking advice from people on the forum who have more then likely never dealt with something of this measure before (no offense guys). Ive dealt with cars covered in different kinds of paint but never concrete. If the hot water pressure washer doesn't work I would test a small area of paint with acetone and see how badly the paint is scratched after the concrete comes off, if its light scratching then it could most likely be polished out. Put some acetone on a microfiber towel and very lightly rub the area to be done. Don't worry, it won't remove your paint or clear coat. The downside is that you can't use it on windows or any trim. The concrete can easily be taken off the windows by carefully using a razor blade, though. No matter what it will be a lot of work.

    Good luck!
    Daily: B6 A4 Ultrasport 6-Speed 3.0
    Baby: 2001.5 B5 S4, EPL tuned stage 2, 3" magnaflow exhaust, Gutted downpipes.
    IMOLA YELLOW

  31. #31
    Veteran Member Four Rings Spike00513's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 05 2013
    AZ Member #
    110766
    Location
    Earth
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by BoostFreeak View Post
    THIS!
    Ive detailed cars professionally for over 5 years and this is by far your best bet. I would take the car to a place that details and has a high reputation rather than taking advice from people on the forum who have more then likely never dealt with something of this measure before (no offense guys).
    None taken. Good point.

  32. #32
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 26 2015
    AZ Member #
    339463
    Location
    Tampa, FL

    Quote Originally Posted by J.kaseno View Post
    Feels like a game of phone tag. Called village, then county hwy department, then regional manager of DOT, then will probably be redirected to contracted company. Im hesitant to attept to clean it as if i do any more damage they may claim they arent liable.

    Doest pay to lawyer up as cost of that outweighs resolving the problem. The car is an older vehicle. I do not have full coverage insurance anymore so may just have to chalk it up as a loss. Thanks for all the advice! Also the comedy. I still need to figure out what this "pleasure washer" thing is. Sounds like a good time!
    Go there. I know it's inconvenient but they are less likely to just push you aside if you are in their face making a scene.

  33. #33
    Established Member Two Rings yanni6556's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 03 2016
    AZ Member #
    375634
    Location
    Sydney Australia

    Feel so sorry for you man. Have you got onto the insurance yet? Someone has most likely done the same thing before wonder what happened to them.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2017 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.