Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    May 10 2017
    AZ Member #
    399254
    Location
    Seattle

    About to get into a CPO 2014 RS5 - Common problems to look out for

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    As in the title, I'm 90% of the way into closing a deal on a CPO 2014 RS5 with my local Audi dealer. Going in for a test drive tomorrow, and bringing a mechanic friend with me. He is a great mechanic, although not an Audi expert. Again, the car is CPO so I'm not really too concerned, but wanted some tips from fellow long time owners about common/easy to spot problems that I can be on the lookout for.

    Issues I already have heard/read about:

    -Issues with premature brake and rotor wear
    -Fuel door not opening properly
    -Rear spoiler does not deploy smoothly
    -Squeaky sunroof
    -Carbon buildup causing cylinder misfires
    -Squeaky exhaust valves

    Thanks for any advice. I'm super excited since this has been my dream car every since it came out, but don't want the excitement to cloud my judgement.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Two Rings SeattleiteA6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08 2015
    AZ Member #
    331800
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Items for Sale

    oh you found one - nice! Audi Seattle or Audi Lynnwood? I think the two key ones are the rotor wear (esp fronts) and the carbon buildup due to the direct injectors. The first one is easy for your mechanic to spot, the second not so much :)
    2013 [R]S5//Ibis w Black Int//TiOptics//B&O//vagcom tweaks//20" HRE FF01 //Conti DWS06 285/30
    --To Do List: Euro tails, x-pipe, KW HASs, etc etc
    2013 Q7 3.0T S-Line Prestige//Lava Grey Pearl w Black Int//Tech Pkg//S-Line Plus Pkg//Black Optics// (Wife's)
    ====
    2012 A6 3.0T Prestige//Sport//Quartz Gray w Black Int//Full LEDs//Black Optics//S6 Carbon Trim//Injen Intake (SOLD)

  3. #3
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 05 2014
    AZ Member #
    270905
    Location
    Westchester
    Items for Sale

    I have a 2013

    -Issues with premature brake and rotor wear- I replaced mine at 28,000 and so far so good at 40k
    -Fuel door not opening properly- I had an issue with pumping gas and audi had to replace something to fix it.
    -Rear spoiler does not deploy smoothly- Nevr had this issue
    -Squeaky sunroof- The replaecd the rails in my sun roof due to the sound.
    -Carbon buildup causing cylinder misfires- This is normal with any V8 . You will need a cabron cleaning every 45/45k
    -Squeaky exhaust valves- I had my exhaust replaced duee to this.

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Three Rings mcbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 21 2010
    AZ Member #
    56405
    My Garage
    couple of Jeeps and a 328 cab
    Location
    NC

    Congrats, you will love the RS!


    -Issues with premature brake and rotor wear - I bought the car used. Pads were replaced but not the rotors. Have put 30K on pads, still good. Best guess from service records of PO, I have 60K on the rotors. Slightly below spec, but no issues.
    -Fuel door not opening properly - nope
    -Rear spoiler does not deploy smoothly - nope
    -Squeaky sunroof - nope
    -Carbon buildup causing cylinder misfires - nope, though I should probably take a look at some point. My philosophy - a redline a day keeps the carbon away.
    -Squeaky exhaust valves - nope

    I would add to be prepared for costly regular maintenance. The brake rotors are not cheap and the DSG and rear sport diff fluid changes are costly, but you pay to play.

    Post pics!
    BUCK
    2013 RS5 Daytona Grey Pearl, X-pipe, 20% tint, Arc Audio/Alpine, interior/backup LED, 034 RSB, H&R sport, 10mm, V-FF 103
    GONE - B7 A4 quatro, 2.0T, 6MT, 250K....dropped, tuned, and everything else

  5. #5
    Senior Member Four Rings namvar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 10 2014
    AZ Member #
    263032
    My Garage
    2013, Q7 Prestige, Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, Cabinet full of Adam's Polish Products
    Location
    SF Bay Area

    Quote Originally Posted by chiahal View Post
    As in the title, I'm 90% of the way into closing a deal on a CPO 2014 RS5 with my local Audi dealer. Going in for a test drive tomorrow, and bringing a mechanic friend with me. He is a great mechanic, although not an Audi expert. Again, the car is CPO so I'm not really too concerned, but wanted some tips from fellow long time owners about common/easy to spot problems that I can be on the lookout for.

    Issues I already have heard/read about:

    -Issues with premature brake and rotor wear
    -Fuel door not opening properly
    -Rear spoiler does not deploy smoothly
    -Squeaky sunroof
    -Carbon buildup causing cylinder misfires
    -Squeaky exhaust valves

    Thanks for any advice. I'm super excited since this has been my dream car every since it came out, but don't want the excitement to cloud my judgement.
    good luck..


    I have a 2015 with 37K miles on it


    -Issues with premature brake and rotor wear- Replace front pads and rotors at 25K. Rears still going string
    -Fuel door not opening properly - The little metal flap broke off. At the shop getting replaced now
    -Rear spoiler does not deploy smoothly- First time I am hearing anyone has had an issue with this
    -Squeaky sunroof- No
    -Carbon buildup causing cylinder misfires- no
    -Squeaky exhaust valves- no

    It's a CPO with a 100K mile warranty. you should not be worried.

    2015 RS5: Mythos Black, Tech, Dynamic steering, Black Optics packages, Folding side mirror upgrade, internal LED lights, Eventuri Intake
    Planned, Funds permitting: Akrapovič exhaust. ECS Tuning Rotors
    2013 3.0T Prestige Q7: Sport pedals, LED interior lights

  6. #6
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 15 2013
    AZ Member #
    111423
    Location
    Waipahu, Hawaii

    Good luck with the process! I have a 2013 RS5

    -Issues with premature brake and rotor wear- I'm @27k and original brakes. Dealer wanted my first born to do all 4. I'll purchase and do them myself.
    -Fuel door not opening properly- My issue was the fuel door was not locking along with my doors. New fuel door actuator fixed that along with a new fuel pocket.
    -Rear spoiler does not deploy smoothly- No
    -Squeaky sunroof- No
    -Carbon buildup causing cylinder misfires- Letting it take deep breaths daily
    -Squeaky exhaust valves- N/A, AWE track installed
    Last edited by RSenvy808; 08-12-2017 at 03:59 PM.

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Four Rings Beast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 25 2011
    AZ Member #
    78778
    Location
    GTA

    n/a to any of these
    2015 Audi []RS5: Sepang Blue | Black Optics |
    AWE | Ecodes | Modulare | CF AERO | VF TUNE
    Past: 2012 Audi A5. Sline: P.Blk


    IG@ RS_Five

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Four Rings shonseb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 04 2010
    AZ Member #
    62259
    My Garage
    '16 Audi A4 P+ competition plus, '15 Audi A3, '05 Camry
    Location
    Queenz/Westchester

    No to all
    I did have my thermostat go out, got stuck closed, replaced under warranty
    I have the rear bumper squeak that I haven't got around to tightening yet because I have a sub in the cubby
    You should also look for interior driver/passenger leather wear/damage around the bolsters, common in all 5 models with sport seats

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Four Rings Beast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 25 2011
    AZ Member #
    78778
    Location
    GTA

    Quote Originally Posted by shonseb View Post
    No to all
    I did have my thermostat go out, got stuck closed, replaced under warranty
    I have the rear bumper squeak that I haven't got around to tightening yet because I have a sub in the cubby
    You should also look for interior driver/passenger leather wear/damage around the bolsters, common in all 5 models with sport seats
    all about entering/exit technique. When I exit I use the steering wheel to lift myself out of the seat. I have 0 wear on bolster etc. I do clean the leather regularly though which might help
    2015 Audi []RS5: Sepang Blue | Black Optics |
    AWE | Ecodes | Modulare | CF AERO | VF TUNE
    Past: 2012 Audi A5. Sline: P.Blk


    IG@ RS_Five

  10. #10
    Senior Member Four Rings namvar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 10 2014
    AZ Member #
    263032
    My Garage
    2013, Q7 Prestige, Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, Cabinet full of Adam's Polish Products
    Location
    SF Bay Area

    Quote Originally Posted by shonseb View Post
    No to all
    I did have my thermostat go out, got stuck closed, replaced under warranty
    I have the rear bumper squeak that I haven't got around to tightening yet because I have a sub in the cubby
    You should also look for interior driver/passenger leather wear/damage around the bolsters, common in all 5 models with sport seats
    I forgot... I had the bumper squeak also. There's a TSB for that.

    2015 RS5: Mythos Black, Tech, Dynamic steering, Black Optics packages, Folding side mirror upgrade, internal LED lights, Eventuri Intake
    Planned, Funds permitting: Akrapovič exhaust. ECS Tuning Rotors
    2013 3.0T Prestige Q7: Sport pedals, LED interior lights

  11. #11
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    May 10 2017
    AZ Member #
    399254
    Location
    Seattle

    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Unfortunately the deal fell through. Went in for the test drive and something was definitely off about the brakes on the car. Not sure if it was the common warped rotors issue, but whenever the car braked from anything above 45-50 mph there was a noticeable shudder through the steering wheel. The salesman said the brakes were checked and they were fine, chalking it up to the car having a "lot of torque", which was pretty lame to me so I just walked out. Oh well, the search continues...

  12. #12
    Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12 2017
    AZ Member #
    399355
    My Garage
    needs cleaned
    Location
    Land of Archaic Anachronisms

    Quote Originally Posted by chiahal View Post
    The salesman said the brakes were checked and they were fine, chalking it up to the car having a "lot of torque".........
    bogus bs

    .......so I just walked out.......
    smart move....
    Bill

    Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

    2011 A5 2.0t coupe
    2012 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
    Avatar Chart

  13. #13
    Senior Member Four Rings namvar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 10 2014
    AZ Member #
    263032
    My Garage
    2013, Q7 Prestige, Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, Cabinet full of Adam's Polish Products
    Location
    SF Bay Area

    Quote Originally Posted by chiahal View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Unfortunately the deal fell through. Went in for the test drive and something was definitely off about the brakes on the car. Not sure if it was the common warped rotors issue, but whenever the car braked from anything above 45-50 mph there was a noticeable shudder through the steering wheel. The salesman said the brakes were checked and they were fine, chalking it up to the car having a "lot of torque", which was pretty lame to me so I just walked out. Oh well, the search continues...
    Lots of Torque??? The only thing I would change about my RS5 is the LOW torque. Every mod I am doing is to ad a little more. So the salesman is obviously full of crap and does not know the RS5. Is it audi seattle?

    2015 RS5: Mythos Black, Tech, Dynamic steering, Black Optics packages, Folding side mirror upgrade, internal LED lights, Eventuri Intake
    Planned, Funds permitting: Akrapovič exhaust. ECS Tuning Rotors
    2013 3.0T Prestige Q7: Sport pedals, LED interior lights

  14. #14
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Jul 29 2015
    AZ Member #
    345768
    Location
    Anaheim, California

    If the car's mileage is low enough, make sure they include Audicare in the deal. I bought a CPO 2014 with 3K miles two years ago and did not think of it. I ended up buying it for $1K to avoid the high cost of service thru 45K miles of use.

  15. #15
    Veteran Member Three Rings Racedoc11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 26 2012
    AZ Member #
    101186
    My Garage
    2013 Rs5 , 2008 M3 Vert
    Location
    PA USA

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCB8S4 View Post
    I have a 2013

    -Issues with premature brake and rotor wear- I replaced mine at 28,000 and so far so good at 40k
    -Fuel door not opening properly- I had an issue with pumping gas and audi had to replace something to fix it.
    -Rear spoiler does not deploy smoothly- Nevr had this issue
    -Squeaky sunroof- The replaecd the rails in my sun roof due to the sound.
    -Carbon buildup causing cylinder misfires- This is normal with any V8 . You will need a cabron cleaning every 45/45k
    -Squeaky exhaust valves- I had my exhaust replaced duee to this.
    2013 with 28k miles
    -Brake is defiantly a problem although many guys resolved it by just going with Hawk pads.
    -Squeaky roof only when opened in my case.
    -Rear spoiler doesn't go all the way down on its own (sometimes).
    -Fuel gas tank door stuck.
    -Check engine light at 700 miles and again at 25000 related to fuel pump/system issues.
    -Thermostat issue made the car act as if it was overheating while it was not. Replaced at 16k miles
    -Squeaky exhaust valves only when it opens - It does not bother me.
    -The car consumes oil - dealer checked and I was told it is within Audi standards.
    Last edited by Racedoc11; 08-14-2017 at 07:44 AM.

  16. #16
    Veteran Member Four Rings chrissurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 26 2005
    AZ Member #
    6244
    Location
    Houston
    Items for Sale

    the brake issues will never go away with any of the cars. I replaced mine with ECS rotors - problem solved. Best $1200 I've ever spent. I went through 4 sets of Audi rotors before that in less than 25k miles. Fucking insane.
    2017 Cement Grey TRD Pro 4runner
    2014 Suzuka Grey RS5 >:)
    • Lots of black satin wrapped stuff
    • AWE Track Exhaust with center muffler straight piped
    • H&R Street Coilovers
    • BBS CH R - Titanium finish
    • eCode headlights
    • funky floormats
    • Eventuri intake
    • Carbon fiber seat trim
    • Carbon fiber dash trim


  17. #17
    Senior Member Four Rings namvar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 10 2014
    AZ Member #
    263032
    My Garage
    2013, Q7 Prestige, Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, Cabinet full of Adam's Polish Products
    Location
    SF Bay Area

    Quote Originally Posted by chrissurfr View Post
    the brake issues will never go away with any of the cars. I replaced mine with ECS rotors - problem solved. Best $1200 I've ever spent. I went through 4 sets of Audi rotors before that in less than 25k miles. Fucking insane.
    and they look so much better!!!

    2015 RS5: Mythos Black, Tech, Dynamic steering, Black Optics packages, Folding side mirror upgrade, internal LED lights, Eventuri Intake
    Planned, Funds permitting: Akrapovič exhaust. ECS Tuning Rotors
    2013 3.0T Prestige Q7: Sport pedals, LED interior lights

  18. #18
    Active Member Two Rings Ape Factory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 24 2017
    AZ Member #
    401666
    Location
    San Antonio, TX

    Quote Originally Posted by chiahal View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Unfortunately the deal fell through. Went in for the test drive and something was definitely off about the brakes on the car. Not sure if it was the common warped rotors issue, but whenever the car braked from anything above 45-50 mph there was a noticeable shudder through the steering wheel. The salesman said the brakes were checked and they were fine, chalking it up to the car having a "lot of torque", which was pretty lame to me so I just walked out. Oh well, the search continues...
    I'm in the hunt as well and I've now test-driven five different RS5's and hoping to test three more tomorrow. MOST of them haven't had the issues you've mentioned (can't really tell on the carbon issue) but most HAVE had brake issues. And most of the dealers play the ignorant game. I drove well over an hour on Saturday to a certain Austin dealership and their sales team had all the panache of a Buick dealership.

    Car was nowhere near what it appears to be in the photos (and overpriced to boot) and the trim/tires/side view mirrors had all been plasti-dipped black. Brakes were SHOT but they whipped out their supposed quality checklist and it had the rotor measurements (I think they were 31mm off the top of my head) but they were severely grooved and there was a massive lip on the outer/inner portion of the brake rotors. If they were in spec, it was by the thinnest of hairs.

    The brakes had zero feel and didn't possess the serious stopping-power I know they should have.

    Moral of the story, you can't trust an Audi dealership more than any other dealership and you'll need to seriously consider that you'll have to replace the rotors with aftermarket units from ECS or elsewhere. Just make sure to get a pricing discount for a car with less-than-ideal brakes. I've also decided to be more patient and just wait for the right car. There are enough out there and prices are dropping rapidly.

  19. #19
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    May 10 2017
    AZ Member #
    399254
    Location
    Seattle

    Quote Originally Posted by Ape Factory View Post
    I'm in the hunt as well and I've now test-driven five different RS5's and hoping to test three more tomorrow. MOST of them haven't had the issues you've mentioned (can't really tell on the carbon issue) but most HAVE had brake issues. And most of the dealers play the ignorant game. I drove well over an hour on Saturday to a certain Austin dealership and their sales team had all the panache of a Buick dealership.

    Car was nowhere near what it appears to be in the photos (and overpriced to boot) and the trim/tires/side view mirrors had all been plasti-dipped black. Brakes were SHOT but they whipped out their supposed quality checklist and it had the rotor measurements (I think they were 31mm off the top of my head) but they were severely grooved and there was a massive lip on the outer/inner portion of the brake rotors. If they were in spec, it was by the thinnest of hairs.

    The brakes had zero feel and didn't possess the serious stopping-power I know they should have.

    Moral of the story, you can't trust an Audi dealership more than any other dealership and you'll need to seriously consider that you'll have to replace the rotors with aftermarket units from ECS or elsewhere. Just make sure to get a pricing discount for a car with less-than-ideal brakes. I've also decided to be more patient and just wait for the right car. There are enough out there and prices are dropping rapidly.
    I'm with you there. My dealer didn't even want to work with me on the price. Funny enough the car sold immediately the same night that I test drove, so I guess part of the problem is that they are in such high demand that the dealers don't have to really sell them. I feel sorry for the guy(or gal) who bought it.

    Were all the cars you drove CPO? I'm thinking about even going out of state just to find one. The closest CPO to me now is in the bay area.

  20. #20
    Veteran Member Three Rings Racedoc11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 26 2012
    AZ Member #
    101186
    My Garage
    2013 Rs5 , 2008 M3 Vert
    Location
    PA USA

    Good to know. I'm on my 3rd set oem and the problem is still there.

  21. #21
    Veteran Member Four Rings chrissurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 26 2005
    AZ Member #
    6244
    Location
    Houston
    Items for Sale

    guys - just factor in the price of needing new brakes into the "after the sale needed things" list.

    I wouldn't let the shuttering brakes take you away from a sale. You will need to change them to ECS regardless at one point or another.

    My brakes are amazing with ECS rotors and hawk pads :)
    2017 Cement Grey TRD Pro 4runner
    2014 Suzuka Grey RS5 >:)
    • Lots of black satin wrapped stuff
    • AWE Track Exhaust with center muffler straight piped
    • H&R Street Coilovers
    • BBS CH R - Titanium finish
    • eCode headlights
    • funky floormats
    • Eventuri intake
    • Carbon fiber seat trim
    • Carbon fiber dash trim


  22. #22
    Active Member Two Rings Ape Factory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 24 2017
    AZ Member #
    401666
    Location
    San Antonio, TX

    Quote Originally Posted by chiahal View Post
    I'm with you there. My dealer didn't even want to work with me on the price. Funny enough the car sold immediately the same night that I test drove, so I guess part of the problem is that they are in such high demand that the dealers don't have to really sell them. I feel sorry for the guy(or gal) who bought it.

    Were all the cars you drove CPO? I'm thinking about even going out of state just to find one. The closest CPO to me now is in the bay area.
    Only one was a CPO. There's enough of them out there, not sure if they're in high demand. It's a big leap of faith to buy a car like the RS5 with no warranty. I had FIVE in my town for sale (two still left) and a CPO 2014 went for UNDER $48K.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2017 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.