Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: B5 AWM

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

B5 AWM

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys! So i need some help, over this past weekend i replaced my thermostat, this was my only issue as i found out there was not one there. I put my new one and put it all back together and start the car, i now have all these codes i have never had before. Does anyone know why or how this could have happened or what could be my issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If it's running ok, just clear the codes and then see what comes back after a week or 2.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    2006 Passion Red Volvo V50 T5 AWD 6MT
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Did that 4 times its not running okay it was before i switched the thermostat now its running very rough

AZ Member #

Is it actively misfiring while idling now? Only when warm? Only when driving? Please elaborate.
    Is the Check Engine Light flashing?
    What was exactly involved in the recent service? For example, did the service involve the car sitting for 6 months prior? Were the ignition coils removed or any other wiring touched?

You do have a code that is concerning:
    - O2 sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1. This is the important o2 sensor that is used to adjust fuel mixture. On an AWM it relies on this sensor a lot as it is a wideband sensor. Because you have misfires in several cylinders, it is likely that the fuel mixture is incorrect and that is what is causing the misfires.
    - Based on this code, I would investigate your fuel trims using VCDS or another scan tool that can read both long term trims (idle and part throttle trims, also called "additive" and "multiplicative", respectively).
    - I might also check target vs actual AFR (block 034 as I recall)
    - Another good thing to check would be spark plug condition. Not only to check the gap (wear), but to look at the color of the deposits on the end. Will tell you what kind of AFR it's been running recently (rich, lean, or reasonable).
    - Obviously inspect the primary o2 sensor and it's wiring and connector plugs. See if there are any obvious problems.

The other codes aren't of immediate concern, I don't think.
    The misfire codes could be just symptoms of the mixture issue. (but 3 coil packs failing in the same weekend can also happen. These are Audi's).
    The Cam over-retarded code is not such a big deal. Just means that the VVT cam advance feature isn't working. Not necessary for good running. It's just for emissions. But it might be worth checking the VVT advance readings using VCDS. Just to make sure it is just failing to advance and camping out at "zero", as opposed to being stuck in the middle of the advance range or something.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Its actively misfiring at all times, when we replaced the thermostat i had to take off the throttle body so that gasket got replaced, when we started the car it first said 2 cyl were misfiring so we changed all the spark plugs and narrowed down to the 2 coils then replaced those, then it said misfire on all cyl so we reset it again and then it gave me those codes, the CEL is not flashing and the car has been daily driven for about 2 months now so it was not sitting prior.

Established Member Three Rings thedanplasse's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I always like to point out that the CTS has weird effects on these engines. Walky usually has the answers, and knowledge though, so definitely listen to him.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Oh and also currently coil 2 and 4 are brand new and 1 and 3 are not burned out at all and should be making contact without issue.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Its deff running lean

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    98 Civic CX Hatch, 2012 CBR250R
    Items for Sale

My 02 did this to me too. It ran fine until it got hot then it would read way rich and then the Ecu would pull a bunch of fuel and run lean. A new 02 fixed the issue.

AZ Member #

Does it run good on cold start, then get worse as it warms up? Or crap straight off the bat?

thedanplasse is correct, the coolant temp sensor can also fail and cause mixture issues. It is one of the sensors that has a dramatic effect on air/fuel mixture - especially at startup (before the oxygen sensor is warmed up).

One thing you might try is to unplug the primary oxygen sensor. If it runs better without it, then you probably need to replace it. Same for coolant temp sensor.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

It shut off a few times this morning cold start its crap off bat. As far as i know my coolant temp sensor is fine because it was accurate with my thermostat issues i had. Also with nothing coming up anymore on my dash about coolant. So if i unplug bank 1 and runs better thats my issue? If not what may be my other options?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99.5 A4 Avant Quattro, 2000 GMC Sonoma

Throttle body adaptation?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mtigue61 View Post
    It shut off a few times this morning cold start its crap off bat. As far as i know my coolant temp sensor is fine because it was accurate with my thermostat issues i had. Also with nothing coming up anymore on my dash about coolant. So if i unplug bank 1 and runs better thats my issue? If not what may be my other options?

Temperature gauge performance is not an indicator for coolant temp sensor accuracy. The temperature sensor is actually 2 separate sensors in 1 housing. The sensor for the dashboard gauge, and a sensor for the engine computer. One side can work fine, while the other can be faulty. To rule it out, you would want to compare both sensor readings (cluster and ECU) at cold start while the car is running poorly. Both sensors should read approximately ambient temp. Then check as they warm up. Readings should stay relatively close and top out at ~90C.

Your engine only has 1 bank. There are 2 oxygen sensors: primary wideband (bank 1 sensor 1), and secondary narrowband (bank 1 sensor 2). The first steps I would do is to look at the long term fuel trim data with VCDS (block 032) and the live AFR data (block 034). I'd also physically look at the spark plugs to get an idea of how the thing is running. If you feel things are pointing toward a bad primary sensor, you can try running the car with that sensor unplugged and see how it behaves. It should probably run on the rich side, but reasonable.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

This is a issue but i dont believe its the issue i believe the CTS has something to do with it

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I changed my O2 and now im getting these codes with no change to how my car is running

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by mtigue61 View Post

It's definitely running lean. Also, I would check all your cool packs. And by the look in these pictures, your connectors for you cool packs are shot. Check all connections to coils. I see atleast two broken tabs. Maybe it's something ass silly as they aren't pushed on far enough. Unplug your coils and look at where the 4 pins go into the connector on the harness. If they are all gauged up you may need to redo them.

Veteran Member Four Rings seanf86's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    97 B5A4 1.8tqm, 94 Cavalier, 02 B6A4tq tiptronic (wifes) 01 B5 S4 project
    Items for Sale

If you had the thermostat out and had to take the throttle body off check the vac lines under the intake manifold for crankcase ventilation as well as for the N112 and N249. I've had a car where the lines got disconnected from someone doing some work under the intake, as well as check the suction jet pump at the back of the engine.

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Do you have a boost gauge?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

No i dont but its stock

AZ Member #

P0170 is usually a fairly large intake leak, or a faulty MAF. Try unplugging the MAF (everything else plugged in) and see how it runs.

Really wish you VCDS Lite. It would really help diagnose this. Being able to actually view temp sensor data, all pending/intermittent codes, log the MAF, etc. It's only like 10 dollars on Amazon Prime, plus a reasonably working Windows laptop.

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

2x on the VCDS lite. Get a cord and download the file. Also, you can do a decent boost gauge for under 100$ My car was stock tune when I got mine and I mainly have it so I know when I have a boost leak, not for looks or anything like that.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

X2 on the throttle body adaptation after you rule out the obvious vacume leaks.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Update my CTS gasket was demolished and pouring out coolant from there so that was also an issue, i am a little new to this mechanic on my own thing what is a VCDS lite?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Changed the cts runs flawless no codes now! Thank you guys!!!!

Established Member Three Rings thedanplasse's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Always the cts.

AZ Member #

^ Nice diagnosis, sir.