Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Car Seat in RS5

AZ Member #

Car Seat in RS5

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Just posting this here as a reference for someone else in the future. Some info I tried to find with no luck while figuring this out.

So I have a newborn, now 3.5 months old and needed to start picking up from daycare in my 2015 RS5.

Ended up going with the Britax Boulevard ARB. It fits, but just barely. Passenger seat is effectively all the way forward, and has a little recline, to where it's livable for my wife who is very short < 4'10". Normal person might not find it enjoyable but I don't ever usually have anyone in the car besides me and occasionally my wife.

Getting the car seat in and installed was not very difficult, did need to use a pool noodle to prop up the seat to get the proper small infant angle. I'll be able to move the seat back more and more as we can sit the car seat more upright, and then of course once switching to forward facing.

Another thing I did, was swap out the rear seats for some 2014 A5 rear seat. Should be the completely basic comfort style seats looks like. Did this so I wouldn't worry about messing up the RS5 rear seats. Couldn't find any info on anyone doing this to confirm these would fit, but saw no reason why it wouldn't so just went ahead and found some really good condition rear seats at a junkyard for $230.

Used service manual for the, but not really needed. You can figure it out just looking at the parts explosion or reading other threads on the topic. Just needed to get the replacement grommet part that gets broken when taking out the bench 4L0886373, which most all other sources don't mention, guessing they just don't replace it and have a loose rear seat.

Veteran Member Three Rings Audiforumuser's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 A4 Avant S-line

This is great info and I respect your dedication here.

There is a thread on this topic somewhere here as I remember reading it and thinking, it's all great that the seat fits back there but how the heck do you get the kid in it or out of it? With an infant seat it's easier as the whole thing clips in and out but once they're in a convertible seat, it would be a struggle.

I have a 2 and 4 year old now and opt to drive a different vehicle on the days I need to cart them somewhere as there is no way i'd get them in the back of this car or would even want them to be back there.

09 A5 S-line Monza Silver / Incurve IC-S10 20x10.5 / KW H.A.S.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Really nice info. I chose to sell my Mk1 Audi TT because I knew I wouldn't be able to fit a rear-facing seat in that car.
    I really liked the A5, and also the fact that I could fit a child seat in it worked out good.
    From my scouring of the internet on what fits, I chose the Graco SnugRide 30 QuickConnect.

I don't take my son (2 months old) out much in the car yet, but in the few occasions that I will need to, I know that the A5 will work
    I can't wait for him to grow up to a front-facing seat.. and then I'll get back to a Porsche

@jasonh: If your wife is short (mine is as well ), then wouldn't it be better for her to sit at the back with the kid?

AZ Member #

Yeah, definitely more room if she sits behind me, and does that if she is with me with the baby, if it's just us though she'll sit up front...but it's rare that it's not just me driving alone.

As for getting in and out, as others have said on other threads, just have to hold the baby, and find a way to get in and sit down in the back seat, and then easy to place in the car seat and buckle in. So if you can sit yourself in the backseat using only one hand and with a little room to be holding a baby in front of you it can work. I had to make more room in the garage so that I can open the door all the way to make this easier.

Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

2011 A5 2.0T Old Man Project
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (Modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo

Senior Member Three Rings ip428's Avatar
    AZ Member #

great info!
    B8 A5 6MT Prestige/Black Optic/3M/ABT/Rieger/B&O/Airlift/Rotiform/AWE/IE/ECS/034/Eurocode/Unitronic Stage2/SPC/CF Splitter/Euroimpulse/CF Trunk Lid/ etc etc
    MK4 Jetta - Lowered Daily

IG: @infamous_m0
    ACNA Member

Veteran Member Three Rings YelloJello's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Starting using my S5 for my daughter for daycare duty. She's 23 months old, so her being able to climb into the seat and stand makes it much easier. I just set her into the rear passenger seat from outside vehicle. She climbs in. I climb in back and buckle her up. Then to get out, I just go in the back, unbuckle, set her in the back passenger, climb out, and she stands up and leans toward me to grab her out. Seems like a lot of trouble, but it only takes a minute or less once you get the hang of it.

Since I had two coupes (other is E36 M3), I was thinking of selling the S5 for a sedan... but now this is working fine, I'm going to hold off. Baby #2 on the way might be a different story though lol

'13 | 6MT | sepang blue | black silver nappa | cf inlays | sports rear differential | plastidip grill | 20x10 vorsteiner vff-101 - 275/30/20 re760 | matte black window trim tape | kw v1 | alu kreuz | smoked fogs | piaa yellow H8 fogs | eurocode intake | retrofitlab pwy24w signal leds | apikol rear diff mount | eurocode meisterwerk ssk | 034motorsport tranny mount
    RIP '08 S5 6MT H&R springs stasis arb awe track exhaust plastidip grill awe intake filter jhm ssk
    '99 E36 M3

Veteran Member Three Rings Audiforumuser's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 A4 Avant S-line

Quote Originally Posted by jasonh View Post

As for getting in and out, as others have said on other threads, just have to hold the baby, and find a way to get in and sit down in the back seat, and then easy to place in the car seat and buckle in. So if you can sit yourself in the backseat using only one hand and with a little room to be holding a baby in front of you it can work. I had to make more room in the garage so that I can open the door all the way to make this easier.
    Ok makes sense. I'm 6'6" so sitting in the back seat, child or not, is not really going to work.

Ps - Congrats on the new babies guys. Being a father is a pretty surreal experience.

09 A5 S-line Monza Silver / Incurve IC-S10 20x10.5 / KW H.A.S.

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

put the child seat in the middle.. i had mine in my S5 for 2 years worked great

Registered Member One Ring sebmr2's Avatar
    AZ Member #

RS5 & TTRS Child seat

rs5 2 sièges arrière 1 position renversé.jpgrs5 2 sièges arrière #21.jpgrs5 espace pieds enfant.jpgTT RS 2012 interior backseat.jpgTT RS 2012 with child seat.jpg

Here's my RS5 with 2 child seat (the first 3 pics). Diono Rainer child seat are the smallest seat avaible here in Canada. Got a 4 1/2 and 1 1/2 years old in the back and there's no real space problem for the passager or the driver. (If the child seat in the RS5 if rear facing.. it will fit only at the back of the passager seat, the front seat will be completly forward little recline)

BTY if some of you want to put a child seat in a TT RS (mine is a 2012 The last 2 pics): the child will fit at the back of the passager seat (either front or rear facing). In the case of rear facing child seat, forget completly the front seat. In the case of a front facing child seat the front will be forward (a passager will fit but will not be very happy for long). And if you try to fit a second child seat at the rear of the driver seat (i've try) the legs of the children will be way to close to the seat or the driver will have no space between him and the steering wheel (The backseats of a TTRS are not as deep as in a normal Audi and i’m guessing it’s the same for all TT model).
    One other important thing to keep in mind is the height of the child seat. Diono will just fit in term of height. If you take a normal child seat either you won't be able to close the hatch or you will brake the glass trying to close it.