Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Q5 burning oil post piston ring replacement

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Ill try and keep this brief. I own a 2012 Q5 2.0 PP with approx 115000 miles The month I paid it off (last dec) the car began burning oil at a very fast rate. My car was just over the extended warranty I purchased also. When I took in the car for a small recall they informed me there was another recall. Some valve don't remember what its called but I knew through research of the oil burning it was part of the oil consumption test. I hoped it would fix the problem to no avail. Was informed they couldn't do anything. Spoke with everyone until I reached the GM. I explained and had to be THAT costumer you don't want to talk too. The GM spoke with Audi corp and agreed to do and pay for the oil consumption test. It failed. They agreed to replace the pistons and rings at no cost to me which I was very grateful BUT it did not fix the problem. My wife has since driven 5000 miles and is on her third top off. She is burning approx 1100 miles per qt. I just emailed the corp rep helping me and informed them the problem was not fixed. Their work has 12000 or 1 yr warranty. Standing by to hear what the next step is. Sounds like this problem extends into the 2012 2.0s and not just the 2011 and older.
    Does anyone have this issue? Also wondering what the next step will be.

Established Member Two Rings BierJager's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Highlander

I don't have your year or engine but I would say they possibly misdiagnosed the rings as being the problem and the next step will be whatever Audi service diagnostic procedure recommends. They will determine next step. A leak down / compression test sounds wise.
    The valve you speak of sounds potentially like something related to the PCV system - a PCV valve. I plugged or defective one can allow crankcase pressure to build and force oil places you don't want it. This becomes particularly problematic in power adder cars with worn rings.
    Assuming the ring and cylinder hone job was done correctly, cylinder head and things like valve stem seals seems like the next place to look.
    I am however far from an Audi motor guru so take that with a grain of salt.
    Maybe somebody else with more 2.0 motor rebuild experience can chime in here.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thnx for the reply. You are correct it was the PCV they replaced. Today my wife went to top off for the third time. It burned 1 qt in 1400 miles. The audi corp rep told us to make a diagnostic appt and from what it sounded like to my wife possibly another oil consumption test. The manager at the dealership was very helpful with my wife and under his breath said that they might have to change the engine block or possibly the engine. Of course depending on what they find. thnx again

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

if I were you I would trade in if the problem not fixed. basially the piston ring replacement/engine block replacement will reduce the resale value dramatically.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by lucio_liu View Post
    if I were you I would trade in if the problem not fixed. basially the piston ring replacement/engine block replacement will reduce the resale value dramatically.
    If it's not fixed, definitely the resale is shot because anybody running a carfax will see all this work and ask WTF is going on with it.
    I bet they can figure it out.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

So audi is doing another oil consumption test at no cost to me. So far it doesn't look like it'll pass. It's been 600 miles and the mmi is showing a drop. Have to wait until the light goes off to return it for part 2. Really hope they fix this and not leave me with a car thats resale value is shot.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by coolwat3r79 View Post
    So audi is doing another oil consumption test at no cost to me. So far it doesn't look like it'll pass. It's been 600 miles and the mmi is showing a drop. Have to wait until the light goes off to return it for part 2. Really hope they fix this and not leave me with a car thats resale value is shot.
    Curious which dealer you are working with. Sounds like you are dealing with a pretty good service department. I'm also in SoCal and trying which dealership I want to start using for all my service work.
    TIA

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

We just got word today that the second consumption test failed. Looks like we will be in a loaner for a while. They said they will be checking the pistons again. A recent email from the corp person I'm working with basically said the plan is to return my vehicle to the proper audi specs. no matter the repair needed. It's great to hear they are owning the problem with the 2.0's My faith in audi is being restored.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

The problem ended up being a bad engine block. Apparently the cylinders were oval instead of round. New block, pistons and rings were the fix.
    I've had the car a couple days and looks like the fix worked! Very excited to be done with this mess. So happy Audi owned the problem.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by coolwat3r79 View Post
    The problem ended up being a bad engine block. Apparently the cylinders were oval instead of round. New block, pistons and rings were the fix.
    I've had the car a couple days and looks like the fix worked! Very excited to be done with this mess. So happy Audi owned the problem.
    They told you the bores were oval? That's literally unbelievable. Congrats on your fix.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '14 Quattro A4

Quote Originally Posted by lucio_liu View Post
    I disagree- 115k and a the oil problem fixed? sounds to me like its worth more not less
    Steve

'15 SQ Monsoon

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Highlander

Basically an almost new shortblock!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk