Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established Member Two Rings AudiC5S6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 Audi A6

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Okedokey View Post
    I appreciate it mate!

Ps sanding sucks
    KEEP SANDING!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 Audi A6

If we all took that attitude, this forum wouldn't exist :)
    I'm just curious to see if it's possible to get a professional job in a garage, because I wimped out, and took mine to a pro. I'm obviously pulling for you. Also, by your logic, we could just slap some pieces on a Honda and call it an Audi...... no offense at all. I'm just skeptical and think that is ok. keep sanding

Active Member Two Rings joe biker's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Last car I painted I had over 40 hrs in spray work
    And color sanding .
    Results were better than I
    Expected everyone wanted me to do their paint work.
    I told them they couldn't afford me.
    It's a labor of love to do it
    Right!!!!!

Established Member Four Rings Okedokey's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yeah, I'll keep sanding I have a lot to do. You don't sand base coat though.
    A4 B7 2.0L TSFI (Mauritius Blue) | KO4 + Autotech HPFP upgrade + BSR Stage II tune - 2.5" BSR CAT-back - CAI| S3 Inj. DW300c LPFP | GFB DV+ | 19" Audi 2015 RS4 rims | R8 Coils | 034 RSB, control arms, end links, street density engine & CVT mounts - snub nose - HFC | Cupra R lip | 7" Erisin 2028AM - Polk Audio PA D5000.5 - 4 x DB6502 + db840DVC sub + Pioneer 10" sub| Yellow Fogs, LEDs throughout | CXRacing FMIC - B12 Bilstein Suspension + H&R Springs | S4 brake upgrade and braided lines.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 Audi A6

Yeah, I'll keep sanding I have a lot to do. You don't sand base coat though.
    No you don't, I just got mine back and it will need clear sand/color sand. It's not bad but even out of the professional booth I found about five or six tiny spots with trash/lint, which will need to be buffed out after the clear cures. From what I learned, clear could take moths to cure. Stoked you're doing the jambs! Aren't you?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 Audi A6

Quote Originally Posted by joe biker View Post
    Last car I painted I had over 40 hrs in spray work
    And color sanding .
    Results were better than I
    Expected everyone wanted me to do their paint work.
    I told them they couldn't afford me.
    It's a labor of love to do it
    Right!!!!!

40 hrs? That's it?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AudiC5S6 View Post
    No you don't, I just got mine back and it will need clear sand/color sand. It's not bad but even out of the professional booth I found about five or six tiny spots with trash/lint, which will need to be buffed out after the clear cures. From what I learned, clear could take moths to cure. Stoked you're doing the jambs! Aren't you?

Yeah everything bar engine bay
    A4 B7 2.0L TSFI (Mauritius Blue) | KO4 + Autotech HPFP upgrade + BSR Stage II tune - 2.5" BSR CAT-back - CAI| S3 Inj. DW300c LPFP | GFB DV+ | 19" Audi 2015 RS4 rims | R8 Coils | 034 RSB, control arms, end links, street density engine & CVT mounts - snub nose - HFC | Cupra R lip | 7" Erisin 2028AM - Polk Audio PA D5000.5 - 4 x DB6502 + db840DVC sub + Pioneer 10" sub| Yellow Fogs, LEDs throughout | CXRacing FMIC - B12 Bilstein Suspension + H&R Springs | S4 brake upgrade and braided lines.

AZ Member #

RESPRAY preparation. Any experience and advice?

Primer and clear coat arrived today. Still waiting on base coat.

AZ Member #

More stuff arrived today while I was at work

AZ Member #

Make sure you wear a good respirator as all these products are bad for your health.
    A full suit would be the best.!!!
    Trust me as I have burnt out my sinusis from not
    Being well protected.
    The vapors are highly toxic !!!!

AZ Member #

thanks mate, got respirator and full suit,gloves etc

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Will you be sanding the car down to bare metal and then doing primer or just sand down till old primer?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AudiKilla View Post
    Will you be sanding the car down to bare metal and then doing primer or just sand down till old primer?
    Neither, no need.

AZ Member #

thanks mate, got respirator and full suit,gloves etc
    Can't wait to see the finished result.
    Take your time don't cut corners and
    You will get professional results !!!!

AZ Member #

I'm hoping I will

Veteran Member Four Rings JoshDub's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Neither, no need.
    So you're going to spend all this time and money, just to hope that the new paint sticks to the old stuff?

This'll be good
    The Awesome™

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JoshDub View Post
    So you're going to spend all this time and money, just to hope that the new paint sticks to the old stuff?

This'll be good
    It'll be sanded and scotch brighted, but there is no need to go down to primer or further

AZ Member #

These arrived :_

AZ Member #

Watch the size of the flake
    They make spray guns just to shoot flake.
    Make sure the flake will work with your gun!!!
    Also the more flake you use the more clear coats
    and wet sanding you will need to do in between coats of clear!!!!
    Shooting flake is tricky as
    Far as how much you use.
    When I was painting I had what they called a glitter gun.
    It had a fan in the cup to keep the flake suspended
    In the clear.
    Not a impossible job just a
    Lot of added work !!!!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by joe biker View Post
    Watch the size of the flake
    They make spray guns just to shoot flake.
    Make sure the flake will work with your gun!!!
    Also the more flake you use the more clear coats
    and wet sanding you will need to do in between coats of clear!!!!
    Shooting flake is tricky as
    Far as how much you use.
    When I was painting I had what they called a glitter gun.
    It had a fan in the cup to keep the flake suspended
    In the clear.
    Not a impossible job just a
    Lot of added work !!!!

Yeah, I appreciate the input mate. My 1.8 gun is suitable for intercoat and 5% 375um flake. I have 4L of intercoat and 4L of clear. I will be flow coating so intercoat, clear coat, dry sand, clear coat x 4.

AZ Member #

Sanded today argh!! Hard work, much to go

Veteran Member Four Rings 80sGuy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Miele S7

^^Oh that hurts me to see that.

2008 A4 2.0T | Dolphin Gray Metallic/Dk Gray | multitronic | Bluetooth | Dk Wood | Convenience. | Premium. | Sprt Susp. | Bare-bone 100% factory stock!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
    ^^Oh that hurts me to see that.
    Your hurt will be atoned when I respray it :)

AZ Member #

Dents fixed (small surface ones), primed. 320 grit sand tomorrow and finish scotch brighting. Then wash and wax and grease remover.

Painting next weekend. I'll be blocking and applying glaze putty and pin hole putty during the week for a pristine finish.

Wheels coming off for sand blasting too. I'll fix those and paint them during the week.

Also tidying up the bumper, rear valance and lip. Spoilers have been blocked to body.

This time next week I should have primered and base coat applied!! :)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 Audi A6

Definitely cutting corners bro, but you know you. Just FYI and for info wise, the door handles come off easy, the door bumper strips are simply held on to the door with double sided adhesive tape- no rivets etc. heat gun removes them like butter..... only reason I mention this is because you're reducing your odds of a pristine finish. They masking and trim left on the vehicle creates the possibility to have "bridges " in your paint job which is indicative of amateur work. No offense man, I am an armature myself and still learning about paint. Just offering some nuggets because I think that's what we do here. It is looking ready for paint tho

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    +Peter-more often lately

Definitely cutting corners bro, but you know you. Just FYI and for info wise, the door handles come off easy, the door bumper strips are simply held on to the door with double sided adhesive tape- no rivets etc. heat gun removes them like butter..... only reason I mention this is because you're reducing your odds of a pristine finish. They masking and trim left on the vehicle creates the possibility to have "bridges " in your paint job which is indicative of amateur work. No offense man, I am an armature myself and still learning about paint. Just offering some nuggets because I think that's what we do here. It is looking ready for paint tho

Okey,thats true what C5S6 says,better to remove as much as possible as ultimately it gives a better result and possibly faster as accurate masking is time consuming-at least you have the mirrors off for a start...
    You will need planks/low stands both sides to paint the turret (roof) and hood as gun angle is critical and just cant be fluffed by reaching out -you need to be right over the horizontal surfaces.Watch for crap falling off the gun and worse drip off the spray tip,so have a lint free rag handy.Use a retarder blend that has as much open time as possible as dry overspray is a killer whereas too long an open time just allows a greater chance of dust landing on job before "touch-dry " Its a fine line.....Defin. Have practise panels to perfect gun technique/check cure times etc. Do this in there,just throw a large drop sheet over whole car.
    From the pics and posts,you're on the right track tho ! Keep at it mate..
    Guten tag-Wolfgang's my name,I'm an Audi A4 B7 Q S-line with 6M in handsome avus silver complemented with Alzor 349's/Mich PS riding on Vogtland/Hypercoils,APR1 tune,USP cat/obx dp,034 bar/sd mounts,ceramic tint but hoping for more..
    Other Ride-Can't tell you my name because I'm pure stealth- Ford FG Turbo ​Ute in winter white (google me) tuned to 400hp,tuned ZF6HP26 trans,suspension and subtle aesthetic enhancements.Wolfie and I have never raced but I know who'd win !

AZ Member #

+1
    The more you take off the better your
    Paint job will turn out.
    Plus you have less chance of peeling
    paint when removing tape !!!
    A little extra time is well worth the
    Effort !!!!!

AZ Member #

Im only sanding, the door handles etc will be coming off, they're taped up so I don't destroy them with the DA.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

looking forward to seeing your progress

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 Audi A6

Can't wait to see it, obviously you're not a noob.

AZ Member #

Can't wait to see it, obviously you're not a noob.

Lol I am a noob, first time doing this, however I am trying to avoid all the noob mistakes by researching EVERYTHING and taking my time.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Lol I am a noob, first time doing this, however I am trying to avoid all the noob mistakes by researching EVERYTHING and taking my time.
    What do you expect you total $ investment to be?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by fatkids View Post
    What do you expect you total $ investment to be?
    May be $1500?