Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings treen007's Avatar
    AZ Member #

OEM retrofit packs

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Why wouldn't Audi sell OEM retrofit packs? Say for Audi Side Assist or back up cameras? We all know it is physically possible to do, why not make it easier and cheaper (than buying and tracking down individual pieces) to get the parts and make money for the dealers with installation? Seems win-win-win. I understand you might not want to offer them for current new models so you can keep selling higher trim levels, but for older cars and the used market I would see it to be a boon to have reliable, new, guaranteed oem parts bundled at a reasonable price.
    Avant Life: My Avatar is Australian.

Audi Customer Experience Two Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Good morning, I will engage my resources and follow up with you.
    Audi Social Community Manager

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Because the cost of the parts and dealer install would make it prohibitive. No way would Audi offer any support to people installing it themselves.

Have a look for some of DavidB8's posts where he retrofitted stuff to his car and the amount of time and effort and cost it took to add on even simple things.

Veteran Member Four Rings JoshDub's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Because AoA hates it's older model owners. Just look at how they block us from buy parts from Audi Tradition. If you own a classic model you're screwed on trying to get replacement parts.
    The Awesome™

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by treen007 View Post
    Why wouldn't Audi sell OEM retrofit packs? Say for Audi Side Assist or back up cameras? We all know it is physically possible to do, why not make it easier and cheaper (than buying and tracking down individual pieces) to get the parts and make money for the dealers with installation? Seems win-win-win. I understand you might not want to offer them for current new models so you can keep selling higher trim levels, but for older cars and the used market I would see it to be a boon to have reliable, new, guaranteed oem parts bundled at a reasonable price.
    There is quite a lot involved in retrofitting safety equipment and electrical systems, as not all of the supporting items come pre-installed or wired on all models. To retrofit Audi Side Assist for example, would require additional hardware and software items, including control modules, wiring, coding, etc.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Audi USA View Post
    There is quite a lot involved in retrofitting safety equipment and electrical systems, as not all of the supporting items come pre-installed or wired on all models. To retrofit Audi Side Assist for example, would require additional hardware and software items, including control modules, wiring, coding, etc.
    Yes I know, that is the whole point of assembling a pack or kit. You could include installation coding instructions, or encourage dealership install. This way Audi can assure all the correct parts are included and it is done correctly and safely and is fully working with the car. I'm not saying it would be cheap per say, but make the parts affordable as a set and I would certainly pay to have something like side assist installed. Sure I can go and locate the parts used on ebay etc, or I can try and buy all the parts individually from my local dealer, but I would have to spend alot of time and effort making sure I have every part and research how to install, and make it work etc. If I could just go to my local dealer service dept. and say "I want you to install the rearview camera retrofit kit for my car" or "audi side assist kit". I would do it to save time and rest easy knowing they were genuine new parts installed correctly.

I love my '12 a4 s-line P+ avant, I bought it cpo with low miles on the clock, but it did not include side assist, or park assist, or keyless entry. I also could not find a 12 a4 avant with similar mileage that had these features. Why not make some money off me and customers like me, that want to improve/update the car they have?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by treen007 View Post
    Yes I know, that is the whole point of assembling a pack or kit. You could include installation coding instructions, or encourage dealership install. This way Audi can assure all the correct parts are included and it is done correctly and safely and is fully working with the car. I'm not saying it would be cheap per say, but make the parts affordable as a set and I would certainly pay to have something like side assist installed. Sure I can go and locate the parts used on ebay etc, or I can try and buy all the parts individually from my local dealer, but I would have to spend alot of time and effort making sure I have every part and research how to install, and make it work etc. If I could just go to my local dealer service dept. and say "I want you to install the rearview camera retrofit kit for my car" or "audi side assist kit". I would do it to save time and rest easy knowing they were genuine new parts installed correctly.

I love my '12 a4 s-line P+ avant, I bought it cpo with low miles on the clock, but it did not include side assist, or park assist, or keyless entry. I also could not find a 12 a4 avant with similar mileage that had these features. Why not make some money off me and customers like me, that want to improve/update the car they have?
    I am glad you are enjoying your Audi A4. I will share your feedback internally.

AZ Member #

Cheers