Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '17 Audi S7

Oil dipstick for S7?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Can anyone link me a dipstick for our engine? I couldn't find one specifically for our 4.0, but I assume something will work? I want to get one.

Also, is this the location for the dipstick? Just pull that plug out correct?

Thank you!

2017 S7| Glacier White Metallic

Established Member Two Rings AntonioS6's Avatar
    AZ Member #

i'm pretty sure we don't have a dipstick. it is all electronic. your MMI should have an option in the "car" section but i'm not sure if it is the exact reading, but rather the minimum level before adding 1.25 quarts
    2013 Audi S6 Phantom Black Pearl

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 Z51 Corvette 427, 1987 AM General M998

There's no actual dipstick in any of the Audi models

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings Kevin1's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The OP wants to purchase a dipstick. He already knows the car doesn't have one. I think I got the dipstick for mine at AutohausAZ.com. Not sure, but take a look.
    1 of 1 in the United States 2015 A6 TDI Prestige with 19" Sports Package and Season Dedicated Tires - Oolong Gray Metalic, Nougat Brown Interior, Dark Brown Walnut Inlays, Black Headliner, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, Night Vision Assistant with Pedestrian Detection. Summer - Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Winter - Yokohama Bluearth Winter V905. Eurocode Sway Bars and Links. XPEL Ultimate.

RIP - 2005 A6 4.2 - (February 2005 - August 2014) (142,000 miles)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '17 Audi S7

Yeah, I want to buy one. I know we don't have one, but I just need the part number for one that works for sure.

Also, I need help one where it goes. I assume it's the plug I have shown in the picture, but I just need to verify.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Florett Silver/Black/Black Headliner
    S-Line Sport Pkg, LED Headlamps, 55% PhotoSync Tints ,S6 Oem Trunk Spoiler.
    Sport pedals,S6 Diffuser,AWE Touring Exhaust,S Line Flatbottom, S7 Wheels.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '17 Audi S7

Quote Originally Posted by bonafyd View Post
    Are you sure this one fits? This is the problem I ran into, I didn't see the 4.0 engine listed. Thank you though.

Senior Member Four Rings AudiS4B8's Avatar
    AZ Member #

"No mods planned other than tint"

+ dipstick
    Mickey

2017 Nardo Grey S6; EPL Stage 2, AMS Downpipes; AMS Cooling System; Neidfaktor Carbon Mirrors; Nardo Front Rings; Cete Lowering Module; Alu Kreuz; Eurocode Sways and Endlinks; Full Suntek PPF

- Stock figures: 12.24 @ 111.8mph; DA +1545; 13mph headwind; 327awhp/335awtq
    - Stage 1: 390awhp/494awtq
    - Instagram: ze_nardo6

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '17 Audi S7

Quote Originally Posted by AudiS4B8 View Post
    "No mods planned other than tint"

+ dipstick
    Lol yeah.

AZ Member #

I found this. It may help you out.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ck-for-the-RS7

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '17 Audi S7

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe26 View Post
    Perfect, thanks!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '17 Audi S7

Well got it a while ago, but didn't have time to install it until today.

Works great and the part number from ECS fits perfectly.

Here's a photo of the dipstick and part number from ECS (it's the smaller number that starts with 079 and it's blurry, sorry). Again, it's for the 4.2l V8, but works for our engine.

Edit: Here is a link to the part: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ck/079115607c/

It is a tight squeeze. Pulling out the plug was a pain as it was difficult to get pliers in there. There are a lot of tubes in the way and it's important to position the pliers so you can pull directly up without any of those tubes getting in between the pliers, otherwise, you might have to loosen the grip and bye bye plug down into the engine.

One immediate benefit versus the electronic sensor is you get to actually see the oil. Surprisingly, mine didn't actually look as "clean" as I thought it would for having less than 1500 miles. However, the level was just at the bottom of the upper plastic part and that corresponds to FULL in the MMI. It wasn't green either, I know some Audis have green oil, mine doesn't.

In any case, well worth it. I'm OCD about checking my oil and that MMI wasn't cutting it.

Veteran Member Four Rings Dasquade's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have the dipstick too (always nice to have a backup and true visual stick).
    My issue was it was pretty hard to actually get the oil level to show up on the MMI.
    Most of the times i had the 'engine needs to be at operational temps and shut off +5min" blabla thingy there.
    What does always work (afaik but i think it has to be after you had the car running) is to open the engine hood and ignition on. Normally then an oil reader will appear in the DIS.
    Current S6 C7 avant 2013: estoril | ceramics | JD engineering stage 2 | LightVan no backseats | Milltek non-res valved | 034 trans-diff mount |CETE ASCv2 & EVC | FL dynamic tails | Thermo ZO coated catless DP | Custom turbo cooler (JD) | RS6 c6 matt gunmetal 20" wheels
    In development: R8GT steeringwheel | FIS controler (mmi gauges)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '17 Audi S7

Agree. That was my issue; it says the same thing for me. You can't just go outside to a cold car and take a glance in the MMI without those warnings.

AZ Member #

I've actually been told by techs that the dipstick doesn't seal as well on cars that aren't supposed to have it and you're really not supposed to leave it in.

Additionally, when I had my X5, the plastic piece of my dipstick eventually cracked from heat and fell off into the engine, never to be seen again. It freaked me out. The digital level sensor works well, there's no need for the dipstick.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '17 Audi S7

Well, after much searching, I haven't seen any posts about fault codes being thrown due to a dipstick...

The only thing I could find was a warning to not leave in the sealy universal dipstick.

That was one thing I checked was the seal and it was/is tight and the dipstick does indeed have a gasket.

So I'll definitely report back should any issues arise, but in all the S7/S6/A8 dipstick threads, not one person came back saying they experienced issues and a few are a couple years old.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '17 Audi S7

Here's a similar (and old) thread that someone asked the same question.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-...2817998/page2/

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '17 Audi S7

Didn't realize this until after the fact, but apparently ECS makes billet aluminum dipsticks for those who might be concerned.

This one is identical to the plastic one in my engine now: same model and engine. However, this one has two gaskets versus the single one on the plastic (and similar to the plug) and the tip is different, so the oil graduation and correlation is probably different. I actually just ordered this one as well and I'll see how it fits and where the full in MMI relates to.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...352ecs01-01~a/

Veteran Member Four Rings Dasquade's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
    Well got it a while ago, but didn't have time to install it until today.

Works great and the part number from ECS fits perfectly.

Here's a photo of the dipstick and part number from ECS (it's the smaller number that starts with 079 and it's blurry, sorry). Again, it's for the 4.2l V8, but works for our engine.

Edit: Here is a link to the part: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ck/079115607c/

It is a tight squeeze. Pulling out the plug was a pain as it was difficult to get pliers in there. There are a lot of tubes in the way and it's important to position the pliers so you can pull directly up without any of those tubes getting in between the pliers, otherwise, you might have to loosen the grip and bye bye plug down into the engine.

One immediate benefit versus the electronic sensor is you get to actually see the oil. Surprisingly, mine didn't actually look as "clean" as I thought it would for having less than 1500 miles. However, the level was just at the bottom of the upper plastic part and that corresponds to FULL in the MMI. It wasn't green either, I know some Audis have green oil, mine doesn't.

In any case, well worth it. I'm OCD about checking my oil and that MMI wasn't cutting it.

Maybe it is the picture and you did it on purpose....but looks the dipstick isn't all the way in. Yes, the last few 5 cm it needs some twisting and pushing untill it fully slides in and seals.
    Been driving with mine for half year now i guess...never had sealing issues...
    Current S6 C7 avant 2013: estoril | ceramics | JD engineering stage 2 | LightVan no backseats | Milltek non-res valved | 034 trans-diff mount |CETE ASCv2 & EVC | FL dynamic tails | Thermo ZO coated catless DP | Custom turbo cooler (JD) | RS6 c6 matt gunmetal 20" wheels
    In development: R8GT steeringwheel | FIS controler (mmi gauges)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '17 Audi S7

Yeah that picture is a bit misleading upon closer inspection, but it's shoved all the way in.

Kind of surprising this isn't installed more.

No issues so far as well. I'll still put in the billet one just to see how it fits and also provide a reading calibration to what the MMI says.