Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Crack in oil cooler

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I recently had a crack in my oil cooler and it started mixing oil with the coolant. A friend of mine told me that since it's a manual this should not happen. If it was an automatic this would happen.

Can anyone shed light on the latter part of my statement?

2001 S4

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Absolutely false. The oil cooler will leak coolant into the oil, and oil into the coolant, regardless of what transmission is bolted to the other side of the engine. Your friend was probably thinking about a transmission cooler, which on an automatic transmission vehicle would be plumbed into the radiator.

Senior Member Three Rings ElementR's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 Volvo S60R Cavalli Turbo, '93 Mustang Cobra Twin Turbo 347cid, '01 B5 S4 Tial 605's

All S4's (regardless of transmission) have an engine oil cooler which is cooled by the engine coolant so if that cracks internally, coolant and oil can mix. The trans cooler (automatic only) appears to also be an oil to coolant based heat exchanger housed within the radiator end tank so there's also possibility of cross contamination there.
    2001 Silver/Black S4, Built engine (RPM rods, ARP hardware, Mahle pistons, Supertech valvetrain, etc), Tial 605's @25psi on 93 oct, JHM FMIC, JHM full trans rebuilt/upgrade, 3" SS dp + CBE, Vast intake + bipipes + tune, ST Coilovers, Hotchkis Swaybars, RS4 wheels and interior goodies.

Veteran Member Four Rings Tiluleshpingen's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    97 AS4 ,08 A5 MkIV Jetta

I was waiting fro some white rocks to fall out of the cooler..
    anyway.. as the fellas above me said absolutely false, They both have and they can mix if there is an issue
    GIAC-X, STASIS TS,VAST,034 MS

Senior Member Three Rings Corradovolksb's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 S4 and 2007 GMC Yukon

I recommend ditching the factory cooler and installing an external oil cooler it will eliminate the chance the the same failure in the future plus it will cool your oil better that the stock cooler will ever be able to.

Established Member Two Rings ReggieNoble's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Not to thread jack but I'm thinking of going that route, do you recommend any kits? Or is it easier to build a kit?

Senior Member Three Rings ElementR's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 Volvo S60R Cavalli Turbo, '93 Mustang Cobra Twin Turbo 347cid, '01 B5 S4 Tial 605's

For anyone considering switching from a water cooled to air cooled oil cooler and living in climate where winter means sub zero temps, you absolutely must install a thermostatic bypass valve or else you will blow oil lines due to the pressure of the oil pumping against extremely viscous oil (think sludge) in the cooler. Once it comes up to temp, the valve switches from bypass mode to allow flow through the cooler. The water cooled oil coolers don't suffer this issue since the coolant helps maintain oil viscosity in an acceptable range. And if you wonder how I know, I do this stuff for a living.
    2001 Silver/Black S4, Built engine (RPM rods, ARP hardware, Mahle pistons, Supertech valvetrain, etc), Tial 605's @25psi on 93 oct, JHM FMIC, JHM full trans rebuilt/upgrade, 3" SS dp + CBE, Vast intake + bipipes + tune, ST Coilovers, Hotchkis Swaybars, RS4 wheels and interior goodies.