Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings 07S6's Avatar
    AZ Member #

For the exhaust mod experts..

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Since there's more mod activity here, just stopping by to get some opinions for my exhaust mod on the A7 3.0T. I just swapped in stock S7 rear mufflers only. Overall it's good though a bit too subtle of a difference over the stock A7 mufflers. I have the rest of the stock S7 catback (center suitcase and front pair resonators) sitting in the garage.
    Already contemplating what to do with the center suitcase muffler to try to get a bit more noticeable deep growl on acceleration. I decided to mod piece by piece to ensure there's no drone, and because i had no idea if the center suitcase muffler would make any difference. I know the magnaflow resonated x-pipe is a popular mod.. This is my daily driver so i can't have drone and need it to remain civilized enough for wife and babies. Just looking for a little more..

Do i also swap in the S7 center muffler (which I have)?
    Do i swap in a Magnaflow resonated x-pipe?
    Do i delete the center muffler altogether and straight pipe it?
    Do I touch my stock resonator pair?

2012 A7 Prestige, Innovation Pkg, Sport Pkg, B&O
    2012 A6 Prestige - Phantom Black/Nougat/Innovation Pkg. (sold)
    2007 S6 5.2L V10 (sold)

Established Member Three Rings maty360414's Avatar
    AZ Member #

non-res for the center one. literally almost no drone
    '13 S4 - Phantom Black | DSG | Silver Inlays | Alcantara | Sport Differential | Akebono Pads
    EPL Stage 2+ Dual Pulley | EPL TCU | JHM 179 Pulley | APR Heat Exchanger | X-Pipe | Black Badges | Blacked Out Sidemarkers | LED's | Nitto Motivo
    Roc Euro Intake |RS Grill | 35% Tint | Shadow Lights | Quattro License Plate Frame | 5000K Fog Lights | VAGCOM Mods

Established Member Three Rings JD S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'd go resonated magnaflow x pipe. I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    '11 S4
    Stage 2 + Toys

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1987 Dodge Ram, 2003 Dodge Ram,

I have stock down pipes. First set of parallel resonators are straight piped($20 of material). Third resonator changed to generic non-resonated x-pipe ($45 of material). Stock Mufflers.
    Total parts with install cost $180.

No drone. Stealthy feeling. Cold start is more noticeable. Until 2.5-3k, the exhaust sounds stock-ish.. Under a hard acceleration, very noticeable.

Senior Member Three Rings Mr.Tan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '01 GTI
    Items for Sale

x2 on a non-resonated x-pipe. I recently installed my ECS xpipe on friday and it sounds fantastic. No noticible drone, just the right amount of noise. Wish i would have done it sooner
    2012 S4 / S-tronic / Ibis White

Senior Member Three Rings Joker S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tan View Post
    x2 on a non-resonated x-pipe. I recently installed my ECS xpipe on friday and it sounds fantastic. No noticible drone, just the right amount of noise. Wish i would have done it sooner
    I have the non-res Magna flow x-pipe and can't complain. I had that installed about 4 months before ECS came out with their part. That ECS part looks awesome, I'm tempted to get that too.
    | 2012 S4 Prestige | TI Black Optics | Monsoon Gray Metallic | Black/Magma | STUFF |

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JD S4 View Post
    I'd go resonated magnaflow x pipe. I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    What diff did the resonated X-pipe make over stock mid-muffler? Is it noticeable? Looks like the majority so far have reported non-res Xpipe..
    2007 S6 5.2L V10 (sold)

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1987 Dodge Ram, 2003 Dodge Ram,

Quote Originally Posted by 07S6 View Post
    What diff did the resonated X-pipe make over stock mid-muffler? Is it noticeable? Looks like the majority so far have reported non-res Xpipe..
    In my prior experience with other vehicles, a resonated x-pipe is less restrictive than the stock mid-muffler allowing for better flow and a change the tone of the exhaust before the end mufflers.

In my opinion, its a matter of personal preference. I am unsure of any performance advantages.

AZ Member #

There are 2 sets of resonators on the S4 (not sure if A7 is same).

There are 2 small sets in the front. I removed them and replaced with a resonated x-pipe (keeps rasp to minimum).

There are a larger set in rear. I removed those and straight piped. Retained stock mufflers.

Sounds great. Minimal rasp and other than LONG, heavy inclines in the mountains is totally comfortable and controllable for sound/drone/etc.
    '11 S4
    Stage 2 + Toys

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JD S4 View Post
    There are 2 sets of resonators on the S4 (not sure if A7 is same).

There are 2 small sets in the front. I removed them and replaced with a resonated x-pipe (keeps rasp to minimum).

There are a larger set in rear. I removed those and straight piped. Retained stock mufflers.

Sounds great. Minimal rasp and other than LONG, heavy inclines in the mountains is totally comfortable and controllable for sound/drone/etc.
    A7 has a pair of downpipe resonators, a large center muffler, and 2 rear exhaust mufflers. The S4 has the exact same set up.
    2007 S6 5.2L V10 (sold)

AZ Member #

A7 has a pair of downpipe resonators, a large center muffler, and 2 rear exhaust mufflers. The S4 has the exact same set up.
    Cool. Then you know what I did/recommend as the set up is the same. The non-res replacement works well if you leave your front "baby" res in or if you like rasp. :-)
    '11 S4
    Stage 2 + Toys

Senior Member Two Rings Yoshi123's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Since there's more mod activity here, just stopping by to get some opinions for my exhaust mod on the A7 3.0T. I just swapped in stock S7 rear mufflers only. Overall it's good though a bit too subtle of a difference over the stock A7 mufflers. I have the rest of the stock S7 catback (center suitcase and front pair resonators) sitting in the garage.
    Already contemplating what to do with the center suitcase muffler to try to get a bit more noticeable deep growl on acceleration. I decided to mod piece by piece to ensure there's no drone, and because i had no idea if the center suitcase muffler would make any difference. I know the magnaflow resonated x-pipe is a popular mod.. This is my daily driver so i can't have drone and need it to remain civilized enough for wife and babies. Just looking for a little more..

Do i also swap in the S7 center muffler (which I have)?
    Do i swap in a Magnaflow resonated x-pipe?
    Do i delete the center muffler altogether and straight pipe it?
    Do I touch my stock resonator pair?

I did the awe downpipes, x pipe and stock mufflers it sounds good but I am tempted to go all out and add the headers and magnaflow exhaust with the no drone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk