Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

B6 s4 giving problems already

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys! Got my first b6 audi s4 a couple of days ago and off the bat I have a couple of problems . I believe the top chain guides need to be serviced because I hear a little rattle near the valve cover but that maybe due to the type of oil the previous owner used the oil isn't thick at all it's really loose and smells a little like gasoline. My questions is the oil light comes on at idle but it doesn't flash would that be a sensor or maybe the bad oil ?..... the oil is black so I'm changing it sometime this week when I have time But another problem is the speedometer doesn't work and the coolant gauge doesn't work as well sometimes however the tachometer works and the gas gauge works does this mean the cluster is dead ?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Senior Member Three Rings badger.'s Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '05 S4 Sedan | '05 S4 Avant | '01 Lexus IS300
    Items for Sale

I would start with checking and/or changing the oil. Then get codes pulled and report back.
    '05 S4 Sedan Arctic White: JHM Intake Spacers | JHM ATF Cooler | JHM Auto-tensioner | 034 Motor Mounts | Apikol Snub | Slotted & Dimpled Rotors | AQ1200D w/Dual 10" CVRs | 35% Tint | Piggies | Fast Intentions Catback
    '05 S4 Avant Brilliant Red: JHM Tune | JHM v1 Headers | JHM Nitrous | JHM LWCP | JHM Ported IM| JHM ATF Cooler | Apikol Rear Diff & Snub | Thor Skid Plate | JHM LW Rotors | Fast Intentions Catback

Established Member Three Rings roboto_1337's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 S4 6MT

Check codes with VCDS... PCV valve is probably due to be replaced.

Is the rattle only on startups or all the time?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by badger. View Post
    I would start with checking and/or changing the oil. Then get codes pulled and report back.
    P0501 (vehicle speed sensor)
    P0404 (exhaust gas recirculation)
    P0174 (system too lean)
    P0171 (bank 1 system too lean)
    P0455 (leak evaporative emission control)
    The previous owner didn't know anything about the car he just bought the car because it looked cool to him he said the chain guides were done before by the last owner but he lost the records. He gave it to me for 1500 thinking it had a timing guide problem but no codes were related to that. The car has 150k on the odometer and starts up with a little rattle but that's really it after it warms up you can hear a little rattle at idle but that's all. I really think he went cheap on the oil because the oil is literally like water no coolant in the oil though it just smells like a little gas though. The car pulls hard and clutch and tranny have both been replaced recently

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by roboto_1337 View Post
    Check codes with VCDS... PCV valve is probably due to be replaced.

Is the rattle only on startups or all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by badger. View Post
    P0174 (system too lean)
    The previous owner didn't know anything about the car he just bought the car because it looked cool to him he said the chain guides were done before by the last owner but he lost the records. He gave it to me for 1500 thinking it had a timing guide problem but no codes were related to that. The car has 150k on the odometer and starts up with a little rattle but that's really it after it warms up you can hear a little rattle at idle but that's all. I really think he went cheap on the oil because the oil is literally like water no coolant in the oil though it just smells like a little gas though. The car pulls hard and clutch and tranny have both been replaced recently but the car does have a catback exhaust and you can hear a little rattling in the exhaust at idle and when i rev it high just a little black smoke comes out so I think it's time for to clean the catback

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

P0174 (system too lean)
    The previous owner didn't know anything about the car he just bought the car because it looked cool to him he said the chain guides were done before by the last owner but he lost the records. He gave it to me for 1500 thinking it had a timing guide problem but no codes were related to that. The car has 150k on the odometer and starts up with a little rattle but that's really it after it warms up you can hear a little rattle at idle but that's all. I really think he went cheap on the oil because the oil is literally like water no coolant in the oil though it just smells like a little gas though. The car pulls hard and clutch and tranny have both been replaced recently but the car does have a catback exhaust and you can hear a little rattling in the exhaust at idle and when i rev it high just a little black smoke comes out so I think it's time for to clean the catback

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 S4 6MT

Seems like PCV and the 2 EGR valves are probably clogged up. Top guide could be shot. Sounds like you could put some work into it. If it's just a little smoke on startup your valve guides may be shot.

The lean code could be a tricky one.... not really too sure where to start on that one.

Established Member Three Rings Terry.Reese's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Audi Allroad 2.7 Biturbo V6

Possible vacuum leak did the lean codes?

Sent from my XT1650 using Audizine mobile app
    Clarice

JHM intake spacers, heat wrap IM, 034 motor mounts, 15mm wheel spacers, ZimbuCAI

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 S4 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Humbledrew34 View Post
    P0174 (system too lean)

I'm working nights and didn't want to text you at 2:00am... check out this thread

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...pgraded-guides

Good part sites are ECStuning.com FCPeuro.com JHMotorsports.com if you want individual parts, but not as cheap as Terry's contact for a basic kit.