Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Has anyone done their valve guides?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi all,

I am in the process of a rebuild and unfortunately think I am going to need to either get new heads or replace the valve guides. I wish I had paid closer attention as I just went through and cleaned the heads, replaced the seals and lapped the valves only to find out the guides are out of spec. I guess learning the hard way is still learning lol.

The Bentley says to replace the heads if the guides are out of spec but I am wondering if anyone has done just their guides and kept their stock valves? I've seen the Super tech guides but it seems they are to be used with their valves.

At this point it seems finding another set of heads might be cheaper than having the guides done but then I run the risk of having another set of out of spec heads. Paralysis by analysis is getting the best of me at the moment haha.

Just looking for other's experience. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Veteran Member Four Rings jballou's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Honda Fit

Yes valve guides can be replaced.
    2000 Audi S4 Stage 3,000 Million +
    Some crap just thrown together, puzzlingly making more power....

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/jsballou

www.tvme.info

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Do you happen to have a part number or link? I cannot seem to locate an OEM Audi part number and suspect they dont sell them, hence the Bentley head replacement advice.

ECS sells the Supertech and IE ones but they don't seem to differentiate between intake and exhaust and I know they are different sizes. I'm not quite sure what to make of that.

Not to mention I was hoping to find something a bit cheaper. I am being swallowed up as I am sure many others before me by the never ending and perpetually growing list of unexpected parts when doing a rebuild.

Veteran Member Four Rings vavJETTAw36's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

i recently had new supertech VG's installed, standard sized, and the machine shop still needed to hone to install them (or so they claimed).

Senior Member Three Rings PwrWgn's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Replacing valve guides is typically not a DIY-er kind of job. Find yourself a reputable machine shop, ideally one that has worked with 5V heads before, and ask them about the parts and service.

You'll need the guides replaced, seats recut, & then heads resurfaced at a minimum.

If you are near Seattle I have heard C&D in Kirkland is good. Have personally had success w/ Autosport Seattle on another Euro car, but they took a long time.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by PwrWgn View Post
    Replacing valve guides is typically not a DIY-er kind of job. Find yourself a reputable machine shop, ideally one that has worked with 5V heads before, and ask them about the parts and service.

You'll need the guides replaced, seats recut, & then heads resurfaced at a minimum.

If you are near Seattle I have heard C&D in Kirkland is good. Have personally had success w/ Autosport Seattle on another Euro car, but they took a long time.
    Oh for sure, I'm having a shop handle it. As much as I pride myself in being self sufficient I am fully aware that this isn't a job that I can tackle myself. Thanks for the shop info, I'll give them a call. So far, it looks like it will be anywhere between 450-750 in labor.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

i'd just swap 2.8 heads at that point if it was me.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by narth327 View Post
    i'd just swap 2.8 heads at that point if it was me.
    Kinda what I am thinking at this point. That or sourcing a set of low mileage 2.7 heads. I'm a bit reluctant though, would hate to pick up another set with bad guides.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I thought the guides you'd buy are all one size and then the valve stem is measured and each guide is bored to the appropriate ID?

I might be completely wrong though, I really can't remember lol
    I'm like a tree. I'm all root

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mille Bornes View Post
    I thought the guides you'd buy are all one size and then the valve stem is measured and each guide is bored to the appropriate ID?

I believe you're prob right, makes sense. Seems like that would be the best route. I think I was mistaken when I said earlier that the intake and exhaust were different sizes. I was just regurgitating what I thought I read in the Bentley but after measuring my valve stems they seem to be the same size.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mille Bornes View Post

This is mostly correct. Valve stems can have different diameters, so guides will be of different shapes/sizes, but you always have to ream the guide to fit each individual valve stem.

The way I did it on Honda motors was to drill down the center of the guide but stop half way. This was from the combustion chamber side of the guide. Then put in a non tapered punch that hits the lip you just drilled into the guide, and hammer it out. Putting them back in was just a matter of leaving the guides in the freezer overnight and heating up the head with either a torch or just leaving it in the sun (I live in Phoenix, so this was similar to the torch approach) then using a driver to install them. The driver is just a punch with a step in it, so the smaller diameter fits into the guide, and the shoulder sits on the top lip of the guide.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by slowSfaux View Post
    This is mostly correct. Valve stems can have different diameters, so guides will be of different shapes/sizes, but you always have to ream the guide to fit each individual valve stem.

The way I did it on Honda motors was to drill down the center of the guide but stop half way. This was from the combustion chamber side of the guide. Then put in a non tapered punch that hits the lip you just drilled into the guide, and hammer it out. Putting them back in was just a matter of leaving the guides in the freezer overnight and heating up the head with either a torch or just leaving it in the sun (I live in Phoenix, so this was similar to the torch approach) then using a driver to install them. The driver is just a punch with a step in it, so the smaller diameter fits into the guide, and the shoulder sits on the top lip of the guide.
    This is more my speed but not sure I have the stones to try it on the S. These cars seem to be pretty picky when it comes to how things are done. Would you then have a shop ream the guides and cut the seats or did you just give the valves a heavy lapping?

I came across a company that sells guide repair sleeves and the tooling to install them. Looks pretty straight forward and is actually pretty clever. Seems to be a thing in the V8 world. The tooling kit however is fairly pricey and unless you plan to do multiples it prob isn't worth it.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

We had sets of reamers like these.
    http://www.cylinderheadsupply.com/va...rs-bronze.html

Any machine shop that does valve jobs can replace guides for a reasonable cost.

The point being, valve guides are absolutely replaceable.