Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

K&N cone air filter box removal

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Yesterday I bought a KN air filter. I removed the air box, what can I as far as the 1in air pipe that goes down to a plastic turbo looking thing. I can put a 1in air filter on it?
    Attached Images

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

If it fits it might work. However you may run into issues with the MAF sensor since they're really sensitive on our cars.

I read about this a lot as a potential mod and it seems that it'll actually cause worse MPG's and lower performance.

There is potential of water getting into the filter and passing into the motor and/or damaging the MAF. You'll also need to make a custom heat shield which wont block everything, effectively turning your cool air intake into a hot air intake. Hence the worse performance.

IMO it's not worth it. It looks cool for sure, but that doesn't outweigh the negatives.
    02 B6 A4 3.0 6MT w/ Sport Package | Kenwood DDX9702S Double Din | Tint | B7 S4 Front Calipers & 345mm Brembo Rotors + Pads | Blauparts "U-Slot" Slotted Rear Rotors + Pads | ECS SS Brake Lines

AZ Member #

Can you talk more about the MAF. Why could it damage it? The only thing I change is more volume of air at a faster rate eating the intake pipe.
    As far as the heat. Yes I know I have hot air in the system. Maybe I'm going to get intake pipe kit and mount the air filter down low by the turbo looking thing.

Senior Member Four Rings SJorge3442's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Apexmaster32 View Post
    Can you talk more about the MAF. Why could it damage it? The only thing I change is more volume of air at a faster rate eating the intake pipe.
    As far as the heat. Yes I know I have hot air in the system. Maybe I'm going to get intake pipe kit and mount the air filter down low by the turbo looking thing.
    Doing this is taking 12 steps backwards in regards to increasing efficiency on this engine. Keep the stock air box and google the Zingo airbox mod. Thats all you want to do. Anything else and you're just sucking hot air. Even with the air box ,I watch my intake temps rise very fast when im not moving. It would be even worse in your case, as you'll always be sucking hot air. The ram air system on our car is great and doesn't need to be messed with.

And that "turbo looking thing" is your seconday air pump. Others have routed filters down there (Search username Zimbu), but the risk of hitting puddles and sucking water are pretty high.
    2003 Three . Oh , 6 Speed, Quattro. 143k. I barely drive anymore so much less for me.

AZ Member #

I can order a 3inch universal intake pipe kit. It comes with 2 45 degrees elbows 1 straight piece 2 90 degrees. Then I can install the filter down low next to the turbo looking thing. I think it's the secondary air injection maybe.

Registered Member One Ring gray7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Sent from my SM-G955U using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #

I'm sorry I'm confused why did you cut the bottom out and then glue it back together.
    Also I cannot find zingo mod?

Registered Member One Ring gray7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I uploaded them backwards. I cut it because it's gonna Do the same thing as a 300$ intake. Just put a 40$ k&n oem fit in there

Sent from my SM-G955U using Audizine mobile app