Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Oil level indicator

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello,
    I just did an oil change with filter. I bought oil filter from audi . I was told it takes 7 quarts . And it took 7
    The dipstick shows it is full but when I run the system check I get a red light for oil and coolant. My coolant level is also sitting between the low and high mark on the reservoir.

Established Member Three Rings 5ktq's Avatar
    AZ Member #

V6? the 4 cylinder is more like 5 quarts

the oil level sensor fails a lot, is it the amber 'oil sensor' light or the red 'omg oil pressure problem' light?

might have some electrical issues..

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

It's the red light in the middle of the display. Not the small one on top

Veteran Member Four Rings imnuts's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Dolphin Grey Audi A4 3.0 Q 6MT
    Items for Sale

That is oil pressure. You may want to check your pressure with a mechanical gauge before you do much of any driving.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Retrieve your SKC for use with VCDS
    Setup Ross-Tech VCP Drivers

3.0 JHM Tuned, JHM LWFW & Clutch, JHM Solid Short Shifter, Zingo Airbox Mod, quattro, Vogtland Jr. Suspension, Single Xenon E-Codes, Apikol Snub, 034 Motor & Trans Mounts

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The engine runs very good though. I think if it is low oil pressure the engine would not run this good. There would bebloss of power and other symptoms

Veteran Member Four Rings Spike00513's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by imnuts View Post
    That is oil pressure. You may want to check your pressure with a mechanical gauge before you do much of any driving.
    I have one from Harbor Freight which I think SlickFix also has, but I never used it yet.

I actually want to retrofit interior gauges for temps and pressures someday. Older Audis had that stock IIRC. And so do some new cars even still.

Because people here say the threshold for the warning light is pretty far, meaning it's not until pressure it's REALLY low that it comes on.
    So, what if there's an issue causing less than ideal oil pressure, but it doesn't tell you. I hear oil pressure can also change based on which oil you use.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Where do I connect the mechanical oil gauge. My local autozone has one to rent

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Which light is the Actual low oil pressure light?
    The only light I have is when car is running I press the check button on the dash. I get the 1st oil can light on the middle of the screen.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Apexmaster32 View Post
    Which light is the Actual low oil pressure light?
    The only light I have is when car is running I press the check button on the dash. I get the 1st oil can light on the middle of the screen.
    I can check next time I drive, doing the 'Check' button which I never click.
    Are you sure 'Check' doesn't just show the symbol, to let you know that it checked it to make sure it's OK and working?

Because the last time (once) I had low oil pressure, it was not because I clicked 'Check'.
    Halfway through a drive, during a turn, it came on (red oil light warning on the dash) and also made a loud beep warning noise.

I think this was for at least two reasons (3.0L).
    The oil level was about a quart too low, and it was not the best quality oil choice. Not Rotella T6 or any of the other stuff people here use, but rather some random cheap one from Autozone, same thing for the filter, with many miles on it. Might've been a different weight spec as well.

So I assume that since it was low, and happened during a corner, the lateral G force momentarily pushed oil away from the pickup tube. Which didn't look clogged the next time I dropped the pan to re-seal it.

There is probably a plastic windage tray inside to keep the oil level, instead of leaning to one side. But what good is that, if it's underfilled.
    And some cars corner harder (R8) so they put dry sump oil system, instead of wet sump.

Min: meaning minimum, oil level is too low, needs to be topped up to correct dipstick level

Red oil icon, pressure too low:

IIRC last time I clicked 'Check' it also did a coolant picture, but my coolant level is also fine, so I just thought it means everything works fine.

--

Found some other threads on the Check button, people are saying that it means everything is good as long as it says 'OK' at the end.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

That is the light, but at the end it displays OK in yellow.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

That is the light, but at the end it displays OK in yellow.
    Just went and pressed Check on mine. It did the same thing. Looks like it went through the systems, at least 7. And then said OK in the end.

But it was with the key in ON position, before hitting ignition. So the engine was off.

I don't want to make you start wrenching if there's no reason to.

I assume the computer is checking sensors or something. For example, there is a level sensor plugged into the bottom of the coolant reservoir, as a safety feature to warn you on the dash while you're driving, if there is a leak. Which can be nice, since not all cars have this.

Meaning maybe on another car, by the time the coolant leaks out and temperature starts rising on the gauge, you're pulling over on the side of the road with smoke coming from the hood, and damage has already been done.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Can you start the car, and press the check button. See if you get a red oil can and they say ok in the end. . For me it don't matter if car is on or off the oil can is red also I have red coolant before that. But again it says ok in the end.

Veteran Member Four Rings texasboy21's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 Mustang GT Performance Package, 1983 Chevy Silverado

Where do I connect the mechanical oil gauge. My local autozone has one to rent
    There is an oil pressure tester port near the oil filter on the 1.8T. Likely there is one on the 3.0 as well.
    2003 A4 1.8TQ
    APR stg2+, MTM 420cc injectors, EuroCode FMIC, PSi testpipe, Techtonics Tuning downpipe, Forge TIP, Hyperboost DV, 240mm clutch, LWFW flywheel, B5S4 calipers, Goodridge SS lines, Stern snub, motor and transmission mounts, Powerflex rear diff bushing, JHM SS shifter, solid linkage, stabilizer bushing and weighted knob, Vogtland Jr. Cup Kit, B7 RS4 front and rear sway bars.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Do you have to drain the oil 1st?

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Can you start the car, and press the check button. See if you get a red oil can and they say ok in the end. . For me it don't matter if car is on or off the oil can is red also I have red coolant before that. But again it says ok in the end.
    Yeah it did the same thing. On or off. Also says OK.

AZ Member #

So, the light is NOT coming on randomly while driving?
    It is ONLY showing up after you press 'check' AND it says 'OK' at the end?

If so, there is no issue. Don't waste your time hooking a gauge unless you just want to read the true pressure...
    B6 2.7t -- F21 MF -- Tuned by Bische --
    B7 2.0t

Detailing questions? Email me:
    Detailing District

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

This happened to my 14' A4 three weeks off the lot. Apparently it's because there was too much oil. When I took it in to Audi San Diego they said they drained some and I've yet to have another problem since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
    So, the light is NOT coming on randomly while driving?
    It is ONLY showing up after you press 'check' AND it says 'OK' at the end?

If so, there is no issue. Don't waste your time hooking a gauge unless you just want to read the true pressure...
    Not to mention draining $20-$50 worth of fresh oil and a $10 filter, IF checking pressure with a gauge test kit requires it.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

7 quarts is a lot of oil for either 1.8 or 3.0

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Jet08 View Post
    7 quarts is a lot of oil for either 1.8 or 3.0
    7qt = 6.6L

Oil capacity on 3.0 is about 6.7L.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I was told by Audi dealership where I bought my oil. Also it says the same thing in the book. I have the 3.0

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Can I get few more members to verify. If the light does not come while driving then I am ok? The light only appears when car is running and in press the check button. In the end it says OK in yellow

Established Member Two Rings Schwebe's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I assumed that the "Check" button when pressed went through and verified that everything was working properly and that is why the "okay" is displayed at the end. If there was an issue the faulty system would be displayed. For example when my head was cracked and my car would overheat or say low oil pressure the actual beeping alarm would come on and stay on the display.
    Last edited by Schwebe; 07-17-2017 at 07:05 AM.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Well this makes me feel a lot better

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Just got car back from the shop. Or going pick up. So the motor is fine, no low oil pressure. However my ac did not work. He said my compressor clutch is out so I need a new compressor and when doing this younger replacement the dryer as well, also pressure switch is gone. A 1900 $ job. I passed on it. I'm going to do it at home.
    Next my upper control arm bushing are shot almost not there. I have seen on ECS tuning I can get the upper control arm with new bushings and just swap the arms.
    Lastly the power steering rack right side boot is torn and leaking. A 2000$ job. Can I fix it at home?
    Oh I was getting code for the o2. Bank 1 sensor 1. But he said it's not sensor but the cat itself. How does car detect the cat itself is gone? I'm getting a code for a sensor o2 it electrical issue not mechanical. The car cannot detect if the cat is torn inside, I mean the honeycomb stuff inside.
    The car can only detect electrical signal from sensor .

AZ Member #

Ahh yeah the check button is kind of a silly holdover from 80's audis, was more of a lamp-test function then (as they had incandescent bulbs in the cluster back then)... it just cycles through all the possible errors and then says OK. (unless there is actually an error then it will stay lit).

The car has O2 sensors on both sides of the cat(s) so it can tell how good of a job the catalyst is doing. If back one reads very close to the front (like dynamically, as the mixture is changing) ... then the cat is doing a bad job.

Doesn't actually matter except to the environment / emissions testing... shouldn't affect performance at all.

I've never done a rack on this car but they're often a pain in the ass. Can't imagine it being a $2k pain, though... the AC job seems expensive too. Maybe that's market rate there, but it's too damn high

AZ Member #

Here's video of the autocheck 'check' routine from 80's model. It's a incandescent projector arrangement. I think 5000/200 from then was the first to get it. But even then you don't need to press the button, car is always looking for broken things anyway.

https://youtu.be/X7UKr1_Pb0M?t=37

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

If the shop is telling you that your a/c compressor clutch is out, then they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Our cars do not have clutches on the a/c compressor. Find a new shop.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

So how does the compressor engage

AZ Member #

It's always engaged, but variable displacement. Some solenoid changes how much pumping the unit does by changing the attitude of the swash plate.