Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Elephant in the Room

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Across the Audi Vehicle line - there are numerous Audi vehicles that were produced with Takata Air Bags in the Passenger Front seat location - fact.
    I know, I've read the list(s). And yes, I have such a vehicle.
    I've gotten the NOTICE - yet, that was MANY Months, over a Year ago - yet, have not been contacted for the Warranty Replacement.
    I have read, numerous accounts on the possible injury and or deaths, that have been and in the future could occur to a Front Seat Passenger - due to Air Bag Deployment.

Yet, No one, No where, has offerred (given the WARNINGS about "no front seat passengers until vehicle is repaired") a solution in the interium!
    Takata, now Bankrupt, is in no position to build replacements (as they should have been doing) - [besides, which, who would Now Trust them, if they did?]

PLEASE - tell us whom are concerned about our Front Seat PaSSENGERS - And wish to fully utilize our vehicles - HOW DO WE DEFEAT the ACTIVATIONS of this Air Bag - alone, w/o having to live with the chance it will deploy and harm a passenger? And not have any "idiot light" constantly in view?

I have had it with excuses, Please just step to the table and FIX this Monumental SNAFU!

Thank you, No Doubt - Many other Audi Owners would be willing to forgo this Air Bag - against the overall Safety of their Front Seat Passenger!

Wiley Brill

Audi Customer Experience Three Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Good morning! Thank you for reaching out to us. For Takata Airbag related inquiries or concerns please contact our dedicated team via phone at +1 800 822 2834, ext. 48433. You may also visit one of the following websites for additional information: http://www.safercar.gov/rs/takata/index.html or https://www.audiusa.com/about/takata.
    Vincenzo F.

Audi Social Community Manager

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Audi USA,

Thank you for, again - not answering the question.

Established Member Two Rings douglasjboehme's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1995 Land Rover D90, 1990 Mazda Miata

Quote Originally Posted by WileyBrill View Post
    Audi USA,

They did answer. They gave you a dedicated number to call. Want them to hold your hand while you dial the phone?

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
    2016 S4 - 6MT | Sepang Blue | Black Optic | Layered Aluminum/Black wood inlay | Nappa Leather | Sport Diff | AWE Touring Exhaust, Stock DPs

Veteran Member Four Rings AudiTechS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 S4
    Items for Sale

dude every car manufacture is using takata airbags and takata is fixing them all. they are in range of importance i.e. the ones hurting people . audi has not had an issue that im aware of . Pretty sure no german manufacture has. they are starting on the older cars and working forward.
    2001 Audi S4 Manual - Nogaro Blue/black - Full AWE stg 3 kit w/ manifolds,h&r coilovers,jhm trans rebuild,UUC VM3 exhaust , 2.5" dp's - Needs Love - Got some love now 442awhp and 512 awtq
    2004 Audi S4 Avant manual - Silver/black - 2.7 swapped ,k24's and srm side mounts

Active Member One Ring heisnuts's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I think your frustration should be directed to Takata and the US government, not Audi. Takata made the airbags and the US government is mandating how and when the recalls are to be completed. Can you imagine the legal ramifications Audi would face in the US if they started disconnecting airbags? It would take too long to list all of the bad outcomes of disconnecting vs the fraction of a percentage chance that a Takata air bag will injure someone in a crash. If you really wanted to, I am sure you could figure out how to disconnect the air bag yourself after watching a few videos, however, I am sure it would be pretty hard to find a dealer or outside repair shop to do that for you due to the huge liability they would face by doing so. I am also sure you could figure out how to remove the light bulb from the SRS light that would be on after disconnecting the air bag.

Just think about the enormous number of parts needed to address the recall. There are over 42 million cars in the US ALONE that are potentially included on the recall list. Take Takata out of the companies supplying replacement parts, and you are left with only a few companies that can supply parts. Now take into account that these companies are also making parts for new cars being produced right now, and you can see why it would be an impossible task of having an additional 42 million parts available anytime soon. Unfortunately, there really is no good interim solution. It amazes me how people seem to feel it is always someone else who should come up with an immediate solution to a problem and never take it upon themselves to come up with a solution.

And what about the rest of the world? There are areas in other parts of the world that are at a higher risk than some places in the US. As you may know, the highest risk is in areas that have both high heat AND high humidity. If you look at all of the locations where injuries have occurred, you will see that almost all of them have been in areas like Florida where there is constant heat and humidity. It makes sense that these areas get priority for replacement parts. Fortunately for you Arizona does not have the constant type of humidity needed to degrade the airbag inflators you are worried about and since it seems that almost all of the injuries caused by a Takata air bag have been in Honda products, I think your risk is a lot lower than someone who has a 2001 Honda Accord living in Hawaii.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by WileyBrill View Post
    Audi USA,

Sorry for the inconvenience, Wiley. Please reference the Official Rules & Guidelines for the Audi Customer Experience Forum. Takata inquiries and concerns are handled by a specific team in our department.
    Vincenzo F.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Mine was replaced 2 months ago by the local new Audi dealer very fast and with excellent customer service.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1031 View Post
    Mine was replaced 2 months ago by the local new Audi dealer very fast and with excellent customer service.
    Happy to hear that!
    Vincenzo F.

Established Member Two Rings Corners4kids's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 A6 3.0T

Mine was handled perfectly on my S5. Just got the notice for wife's 2014 Passat. I'm sure the experience at VW will be just as easy and painless. Love VAG.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine