Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings Rock803's Avatar
    AZ Member #

2015 Flat bottom Steering Wheel Trim

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi. Can someone point me in the direction of finding this for my steering wheel?

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

2015 Flat bottom Steering Wheel Trim

Based on the size of that lower badge area I believe that is for a B8.5 round wheel, not flat bottom.

I bought a flat bottom wheel with a blank trim piece and swapped it out for trim that could accept the badge. There was no silver trim around the badge like your picture. These are the parts I used:

Flat bottom steering wheel trim to accept badge - 8U0419689CV58
    S-line steering wheel badge -8X0419685

This is my old B8.5 3-spoke wheel which shows trim with the silver border around the badge area like your picture:

Hope this helps.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Allroad Premium Plus (OEM+ Build Thread)
    Summer/Fun Car: 2005 Jetta GLI (OEM+ Build Thread)

Established Member Three Rings bat6wc's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I just want to know how easy that whole badge section is to pop out and replace.
    '16 A4 | 2.0T Quattro | Ibis White | S-line Appearance Package | P +

Should've gotten the S4...

AZ Member #

Since mine is a flat bottom wheel, the entire trim ring and lower badge area is all one piece. I'm looking for this with s line on that bottom piece. I've seen them so I know they exist. A stick on badge is not an option.

sent from the Edge
    2015 A4 Florett Silver Metallic, Premium+, S Line, BO, 8sp tip, Sport, Sport+, Tech
    2012 A4 Brilliant Black, Premium, 6sp (sold)

AZ Member #

So...does the bottom badge piece remove from the ring? If so, would anyone know the part number for an s line replacement? Thanks.

sent from the Edge
    2015 A4 Florett Silver Metallic, Premium+, S Line, BO, 8sp tip, Sport, Sport+, Tech

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

This one? Mine came out of a5 s line I believe. On another note I do have a s line insert if you have the hole

IT IS KNOWN

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Rock803 View Post
    So...does the bottom badge piece remove from the ring? If so, would anyone know the part number for an s line replacement?
    I posted part numbers to both pieces that you need...

You currently have this trim piece which has no place to put a badge:

You need this trim piece and the S-line badge that clips into the trim piece. The trim piece and the badge are two separate parts. Part numbers above:

AZ Member #

Ok. Thanks.

sent from the Edge

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Where the MODE button is (top left)... on some/later Audi models theres a < & > arrow... what is it? everyone ive asked doesnt seem to know.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by bat6wc View Post
    I just want to know how easy that whole badge section is to pop out and replace.
    You need to pull the wheel off to get the trim out. Its also quite a challenge to get the long "posts" from the left and right buttons out of the wheel to release the whole thing. My FBSW was a pain, but I got it done, swapped out the S4 logo for an Sline. There were two screws holding the badge in after i got it off the steering wheel.

Senior Member Four Rings bakedziti's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '77 MGB Roadster
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by doublespeeded View Post
    Where the MODE button is (top left)... on some/later Audi models theres a < & > arrow... what is it? everyone ive asked doesnt seem to know.
    Its not applicable to our model. Those buttons work with the A/S/RS3; A/S6; A/S/RS7; and the Q3, but will not work for our cars and will give you a soft code for the buttons. I eventually found a set of buttons for the B8.5s and swapped mine. If you're looking at a wheel with the arrow buttons you mentioned, you won't be able to use the buttons as is, and I advise that you be certain that the airbag is dual stage, if it comes with one. The correct buttons can be difficult to find at a reasonable price, but I was eventually able to get someone selling a round 3 spoke wheel to separate the buttons for $75; they're over $200 on eBay and from China.

EDIT: I should actually answer your question though. IIRC, the MMI menus on the models listed above, at least the A3, is laterally laid out on the screen so these function similar to the mode button in our cars. Its been a while since I have been in a newer A3, let alone driven one, but I think that's what they do. I'm sure a youtube video could confirm if there is one. Also, I am assuming based on your description that you're referring to these buttons.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-PN-8U0951523A
    2011 A4 P+ Quartz Grey; Black Sport Package; 6MT; MMi; B&O
    GIAC (stage); Eurocode HFC; Stasis Exhaust; Alu Kreuz; H&R RSB; DV+; CR-15; ECS Intercooler & Piping

the egyptian prescription

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '77 MGB Roadster
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by elscotto80 View Post
    You need to pull the wheel off to get the trim out. Its also quite a challenge to get the long "posts" from the left and right buttons out of the wheel to release the whole thing. My FBSW was a pain, but I got it done, swapped out the S4 logo for an Sline. There were two screws holding the badge in after i got it off the steering wheel.
    You don't have to pull the wheel off to remove that trim ring, at least I didn't. Personally I imagined that it would have been a much harder process with the wheel removed, because those pegs really hold the trim in tightly on each side and the wheel attached keeps it in a fixed position. I just removed the airbag, and used a trim tool to gently work the ring off without breaking it.
    GIAC (stage); Eurocode HFC; Stasis Exhaust; Alu Kreuz; H&R RSB; DV+; CR-15; ECS Intercooler & Piping

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by bakedziti View Post
    You don't have to pull the wheel off to remove that trim ring, at least I didn't. Personally I imagined that it would have been a much harder process with the wheel removed, because those pegs really hold the trim in tightly on each side and the wheel attached keeps it in a fixed position. I just removed the airbag, and used a trim tool to gently work the ring off without breaking it.
    I tried with it on the car after i got the airbag out. Found it easier to work on with it out. Whatever works!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '77 MGB Roadster
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by elscotto80 View Post
    Whatever works!
    No doubt here! There are many things I have done to my car following a DIY or a thread on AZ, but have found that I needed to use different methods than described while working on my car.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by bakedziti View Post
    Its not applicable to our model. Those buttons work with the A/S/RS3; A/S6; A/S/RS7; and the Q3, but will not work for our cars and will give you a soft code for the buttons. I eventually found a set of buttons for the B8.5s and swapped mine. If you're looking at a wheel with the arrow buttons you mentioned, you won't be able to use the buttons as is, and I advise that you be certain that the airbag is dual stage, if it comes with one. The correct buttons can be difficult to find at a reasonable price, but I was eventually able to get someone selling a round 3 spoke wheel to separate the buttons for $75; they're over $200 on eBay and from China.

EDIT: I should actually answer your question though. IIRC, the MMI menus on the models listed above, at least the A3, is laterally laid out on the screen so these function similar to the mode button in our cars. Its been a while since I have been in a newer A3, let alone driven one, but I think that's what they do. I'm sure a youtube video could confirm if there is one. Also, I am assuming based on your description that you're referring to these buttons.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-PN-8U0951523A
    Heya Bakedziti, yes those arrows in your post.

So theyre just menu toggle buttons, that wont work on the 8.5 A4?

i was just curious.

what about the Asterisk * button?

AZ Member #

i was just curious.

The controls speak German the b8.5 speaks French which is why we can't use either side. When you look at the wiring you realize how complex it all is. The paddles plug into the switches the switches plug together. Then that all gets plugged into 3 wires. There is some witchcraft going on inside those wires.

IT IS KNOWN

AZ Member #

Here's a trim ring for $90 you'll just need to get a s-line badge

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222568635442

IT IS KNOWN

AZ Member #

That doesn't look like it will fit a flat bottom wheel. That would have been great though.

sent from the Edge

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Rock803 View Post
    That doesn't look like it will fit a flat bottom wheel. That would have been great though.

sent from the Edge
    The SQ5 come with a flat bottom.

IT IS KNOWN

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BIG_ROOSTER View Post
    The SQ5 come with a flat bottom.

IT IS KNOWN
    Did all SQ5's have the flat bottom wheel? I've never seen the silver trim around the badge with a flat bottom wheel.

AZ Member #

Hmmm looks like the silver ring pops out so I'm at a loss if that's flat or not flat. I get home I'll check my round 3 spoke against my flat botttom

IT IS KNOWN

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '77 MGB Roadster
    Items for Sale

i was just curious.

I am really not certain what function it has, but Cars.com has explained it as a programmable button that can be configured within the MMI menus. I am not sure, as I don't think you can code these buttons to work. That said, there was someone who was selling a few FBSWs with these buttons recently, and he claimed he has seen someone successfully code these for the B8/8.5s; I have yet to see proof of that however. In fact, the whole reason I was able to scoop up my FBSW with the dual stage airbag for $400 was because the OP couldn't take the nonfunctional buttons any longer, so he ordered a full replacement.

EDIT: Forgot the link - https://www.cars.com/articles/2011/0...his-button-do/
    Last edited by bakedziti; 07-20-2017 at 06:48 AM.