Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Four Rings Mattr567's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZimbutheMonkey View Post
    -snip-
    Fantastic update. All in, how much did this cost you to get to this point?

260CHP on stock exhaust, intercooler and clutch seems incredible to me. Even that much on my fwd AEB would be insane. I just dont want to blow it up Right now have a pretty much stock AEB with a APR tune that holds 15PSI, 16-17 peak with a 2.5in exhaust and a Valeo SMF among other little supporting mods.

Looking into doing this.
    Last edited by Mattr567; 08-08-2017 at 03:56 PM.
    The most base A4 in the world

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS
    APR 91 | Forge | APR Catback | Valeo SMF | Bilstein B8 | Eibach | Neuspeed RSB | B5 S4 TRE's | 034 Snub | OEM Strut Bar | Ebay SS w/ Pushdown Delete | 2.0T Coils
    BBS | Podi | DDM HID | OEM RS4 Grille | Euro Mirrors | Facelift stuff | Sport Cloths | Euro Trunk | Valeo E Code

Senior Member Two Rings All_Euro's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04’ A4 Avant 1.8T & 05' GLI 1.8T_4 mo.

So I've been toying with this idea for quite some time but I hadn't gotten a chance to make it happen...

And here's how it sits at the moment
    mazdaspeed k04 4 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/156667009@N03/]
    Thoughts anyone...?
    Looks awesome - nice to see someone experimenting and doing work

**One other thing I'm debating is trying pre-compressor water/meth injection. Since these turbos are so cheap, If I can find another cheap back-up I might experiment with pre-compressor injection. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, basically, it removes the heat that the turbo generates as it gets further out of it's efficiency range. In a perect world, you could theoretically be getting ambient temp air out of the turbo. Or if you ditched your intercooler, and ran ice water, you could actually get a drop in temperature between intake and discharge**
    This I’ve done before using a ported K03 - running it at 30 psi. Performed flawlessly for a year or so until I installed a K04. I was just spraying perpendicular to airflow and as close to the compressor wheel as I could get... maybe an inch away. I have seen nozzle holders that will allow you to spray directly in front of the wheel nut but I think they were a couple hundred... you could just fab something like that up in a hard section of pipe though.
    Work - houzz / linkedin
    Play - haldex swap

Veteran Member Four Rings ZimbutheMonkey's Avatar
    AZ Member #

So I finally got her on the road today. Good thing that I had 300+ km to cover as I had to make about 10 revisions to my tuning file before I got it running right Let me tell you, tuning 630cc Dekas on a Narrowband ECU is a major PITA!!!!

I think I'll post my stage 3 tune up on Nefmoto later on if anyone wants to have a look see at it

That said, the car goes like a raped ape now

Here's some pics of the final product.

20170808_135151 by zimbu themonkey, on Flickr

20170808_135320 by zimbu themonkey, on Flickr

I want to point out what I found to be a VERY worthwhile addition to my setup.

This box that I made around the intake made a huge impact on my IAT's.

Without it, my average IAT's were about 90C and went upwards of 110C under full load pulls.

With the insulated box, my IAT's dropped to about 35C (ambient temps were about 25C) and topped out at 60C after a 1-2-3 gear pull (stock intercooler).

All I needed to make it was a sheet of Aluminium, a cutting disk and some insulating matting. Took me all of about an hour to make. So well worth it if anyone replicates my intake design.

20170808_135246 by zimbu themonkey, on Flickr
    This B6/B7 S4 forum is brought to you by the refreshing taste of Kool-Aid... OH YEAH!!!!!

My car has a real tune. Tuned by me. Just because your not smart enough to tune you own car don't ruin a thread.

Veteran Member Three Rings kwnk's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    92 FZR600, '76 280z

300 HP for under $300? Yes, yes I have... :) Mazdaspeed K04 install (pics inside)

Nice man! Looking forward to some footage :)

I think I know the inspiration for the intake design!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    kwnk
    2001 1.8T ST Coilovers | 710N | Apikol snub mount
    1999 1.8TQM Avant | H&R Coilovers | 034 1bar tune | 16" URS4 Fuchs | Forge 008 | Borla

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by kwnk View Post
    Nice man! Looking forward to some footage :)

I think I know the inspiration for the intake design!

Hahahaha, you sir get a gold star for finding the origin of my AZ handle
    This B6/B7 S4 forum is brought to you by the refreshing taste of Kool-Aid... OH YEAH!!!!!

My car has a real tune. Tuned by me. Just because your not smart enough to tune you own car don't ruin a thread.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    92 FZR600, '76 280z

Haha how could I not?! Dilbert is one of my favorite comics

What boost range were you playing with?
    kwnk
    1999 1.8TQM Avant | H&R Coilovers | 034 1bar tune | 16" URS4 Fuchs | Forge 008 | Borla

Veteran Member Four Rings q_dubz's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Single Turbo V8 S4
    Items for Sale

that MAF placement tho............................................... ........

Senior Member Three Rings PringlesInVic's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '94 Cummins Ram, 2007 City Jetta

This has been a very interesting thread. Good work Zimbu.

But I can't help but wonder if the same IAT values could be reached using a Blinktek Heatshield?
    '98.5 A4 1.8TQM - Aluminum Silver Metalic

REVO Stage 1 - CTS Test Pipe - Milltek Exhaust - ST Coilovers - Hyperboost DV - ECS Snub - TFSI Coils/ICM Delete - eBay SS - Valeo SFW - DEPO Ecodes - VW 18" Bristols - OEM RS4 Grille - Alpine/Hertz Stereo - PODI Mech. Boost Gauge + POD

Build Thread HERE

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by q_dubz View Post
    that MAF placement tho............................................... ........
    Meh, I ran my MAF like that for ages on my Passat and never had any issues with the flow numbers being skewed. I just keep the screen in place, seems to do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Pringle420 View Post
    This has been a very interesting thread. Good work Zimbu.

But I can't help but wonder if the same IAT values could be reached using a Blinktek Heatshield?
    Entirely possible. I just did it that way because I had the materials on hand and it was free.

AZ Member #

This box that I made around the intake made a huge impact on my IAT's.

Without it, my average IAT's were about 90C and went upwards of 110C under full load pulls.

With the insulated box, my IAT's dropped to about 35C (ambient temps were about 25C) and topped out at 60C after a 1-2-3 gear pull (stock intercooler).

All I needed to make it was a sheet of Aluminium, a cutting disk and some insulating matting. Took me all of about an hour to make. So well worth it if anyone replicates my intake design.
    Would this help someone with a stock airbox? If the results were that good then I'll definitely do it!

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS
    APR 91 | Forge | APR Catback | Valeo SMF | Bilstein B8 | Eibach | Neuspeed RSB | B5 S4 TRE's | 034 Snub | OEM Strut Bar | Ebay SS w/ Pushdown Delete | 2.0T Coils
    BBS | Podi | DDM HID | OEM RS4 Grille | Euro Mirrors | Facelift stuff | Sport Cloths | Euro Trunk | Valeo E Code

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by kwnk View Post
    Haha how could I not?! Dilbert is one of my favorite comics

What boost range were you playing with?
    In the interest of getting it functional and keeping the tuning variables to a minimum (i've never tuned boost PID's) I decided to use my AEM e-boost controller.

Running 90% Duty cycle I'm seeing peak boost of 17-18 PSI with a taper to about 15 PSI at 7000 RPM.

I attribute that to the restrictive stock exhaust system and stock intercooler.

My GTRS elim on my old Passat with a Tectonics cat and a fairly low restriction 2.5 in catback but with an 8 inch portion of the stock 2 inch exhaust left along the tiptronic transmission (long story as to why it was left that way) wouldn't boost past 19 PSI at about 4000 RPM. Once I put a full open 3 inch exhaust on it, full spool dropped to about 3200 RPM (at 3500 ft) and I capped my boost at 22 PSI.

Moral of the story, open 2.5-3.0 inch exhaust makes a world of difference. I suspect that once I either make a full exhaust or get my cutout working, the turbo ought to be good to similar boost levels as a GT28 series.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    92 FZR600, '76 280z

Nice! sounds like it's quite fun to dial in :)

I hopped in on the 034 downpipe deal going on in preparation of future tuning :)

kwnk

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Sounds like a lot of work when you could have just grabbed this.

Click HERE

I run this exact turbo with 440cc injectors and a custom malone tune. Im seeing about 200 g/sec peak as well. Been running it for 5K miles now and so far it's held up well.

Veteran Member Four Rings Dan[FN]6262's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    stripped out stroker E30 and 98 C230 in middle of a LS/TH400 swap

Hey, this is pretty cool
    EFR | 7163
    268/260 cams

I.E. Intake Manifold / 70mm
    Maestro [Dan Shank Super Tune™]

BoostManager+
    Meth Head

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by PSI NRG View Post
    Sounds like a lot of work when you could have just grabbed this.

Click HERE

I run this exact turbo with 440cc injectors and a custom malone tune. Im seeing about 200 g/sec peak as well. Been running it for 5K miles now and so far it's held up well.
    I could have also grabbed a Frankenturbo as well lol.

The point was to see if it was possible to mount one of these turbos, turbine housing and all to the stock exhaust manifold.

As well, I wanted to see what stock parts could be re-used and which ones would need to be fabricated.

In terms of comparisons between turbos, trust me, having had a K04-015 many years back I can tell you that this, K04-0081 pulls WAY harder on the top end than my K04-15 ever could.

Any chance you could post some logs of your MAF vs RPM measurements? I'd be curious to see what a stock K04-015 puts out.

Remember, a brief peak of 200 g/sec around 4000 RPM is going to make for a very different powerband than a turbo which will hold 190-200 g/sec between 5000-7000 RPM.
    Last edited by ZimbutheMonkey; 08-18-2017 at 09:32 PM.

AZ Member #

Took a quick 2 gear pull and plugged the data into Virtual Dyno along with a comparison run from my old K03.

K03 VS K04 DYNO PLOTS MY 2000 A4 ZOOMED IN by zimbu themonkey, on Flickr

As you can see from the IAT's it was hot as hell that day, and the stock SMIC was completely heat soaked (and the engine was pulling a bunch of timing) so the engine was only moving about 190 g/sec. Also, bear in mind that the K04 plot was based on a 2nd gear pull not a 3rd gear pull (which I find is much more accurate).

That said, the WHP numbers look about right for that amount of airflow. More to the point, it gives an idea of what the powerband looks like with the stock catback , stock SMIC and stock intake piping.

While it's certainly laggy, I'm not too bent out of shape as the delay in boost is probably the only reason my stock clutch is still alive.

Further, based on my data logs, the torque curve would likely be better on a 3rd gear pull. I'll try and post one up when i get a chance.

Finally, based on experience with my GTRS elim, if I go to a 3 inch open exhaust and run 2.5-2.75 in intake piping and a FMIC, it'll likely spool at about 3800-4000 RPM and I'd estimate that there's probably another 25-30 WHP on tap with a proper exhaust and larger intake piping/FMIC.
    Last edited by ZimbutheMonkey; 08-21-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings down_n_dapper's Avatar
    AZ Member #

yeah buddy! looking really good man, and hats off for innovation! I would love to do something similar to your intake box, any more pics of what exactly you did?
    Maintaining a 12 year old Audi is about as expensive as Charlie Sheen's coke habbit.
    00' Silver B5 1.8TQM
    | Wheels coming | Depo Projector Retrofit (clear lense) | BC Coilovers |
    Kenwood Headunit + 4" F +Jl 6" R + 10" Sub | TFSI Coils |
    | 2.5" turbo back exhaust | K04 RS6 Hybrid Turbo|

AZ Member #

300 HP for under $300? Yes, yes I have... 😊 Mazdaspeed K04 install (pics inside)

That's an interesting intake path you're running... why not clock the turbo to out flow downwards like the stock setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by down_n_dapper View Post
    yeah buddy! looking really good man, and hats off for innovation! I would love to do something similar to your intake box, any more pics of what exactly you did?
    Quote Originally Posted by SynapticA4TQM View Post
    That's an interesting intake path you're running... why not clock the turbo to out flow downwards like the stock setup?

Thanks for the kind words fellows

As for the direction it's clocked, it may be possible to clock it down, I kept it in the stock location for 2 reasons

1) I wanted to see if a completely stock/unaltered K04-081 could be mounted to the stock 1.8T manifold

2) re-clocking it would have required messing w the wastegate mounting brackets.

That said, you couid very likely re-clock it and mount it like you're suggesting.

Only one way to find out right....? Let me know what you find.

AZ Member #

I'm tempted. It I've got a cache of chra's and housing I don't have the cash do anything with as it is... the misses wouldn't be too please with more junkyard surfing lol

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

It's funny that when I first joined this forum I was doing the same thing, but I got blasted for it. I did mine a bit different though and rotated the inlet and used a V band adapter from a ebay mazdaspeed 3 downpipe. I finished the setup and sold it to another member several years ago but sold it with a cx7 of 582 turbo instead of the 882 ms3 turbo. I still have the ms3 turbo somewhere.

The ms3 turbo flows a good bit and is an excellent match for 1.8. There has been several companies swap ms3 k04 internals into a k03 BUT the ms3 turbine housing should flow much MUCH more then the crappy k03.

What engine you running?
    If you can read this thank a teacher, since its English thank a veteran...

Audi make a great car, but their heater cores are, well $h!t.....

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by zandrew View Post
    It's funny that when I first joined this forum I was doing the same thing, but I got blasted for it. I did mine a bit different though and rotated the inlet and used a V band adapter from a ebay mazdaspeed 3 downpipe. I finished the setup and sold it to another member several years ago but sold it with a cx7 of 582 turbo instead of the 882 ms3 turbo. I still have the ms3 turbo somewhere.

The ms3 turbo flows a good bit and is an excellent match for 1.8. There has been several companies swap ms3 k04 internals into a k03 BUT the ms3 turbine housing should flow much MUCH more then the crappy k03.

What engine you running?
    Running a stock 1.8T, stock exhaust with a testpipe, stock SMIC

As for the turbo install you were referencing, I recall you mentioning it at one point, but I couldn't find anymore info on it. But you're right, the K04-0882 is a great match to the 1.8T which is why I'm surprised that more members around here haven't tried using them. I'll admit, while the install was a PITA, it was no worse than any other turbo swap.

You also hit on a good point with respect to the turbine housing. Looking at all the hybrid K04 threads, they all seem to end up running into issues with surge and backpressure on the KKK turbine housings. At least with the MS turbine housing the turbo is properly balanced, pressure-wise. Plus, now I can always upgrade the CHRA to one of the MS hybrids like this http://www.shop.mambatek.com/product...&categoryId=-1

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I was wondering aeb , atw, or awm. I am guessing ash since you said narrowband.

Something else you can do is make a t25 or t3 adapter and mount the turbo side ways and cut the outlet and re weld it on. The spa manifold might even work which would flip it upside down and make the turbo outlet less of any issue. Glad to see you do this. I knew it would be a really good match to a stock engine.
    If you can read this thank a teacher, since its English thank a veteran...

Audi make a great car, but their heater cores are, well $h!t.....

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by zandrew View Post
    I was wondering aeb , atw, or awm. I am guessing ash since you said narrowband.

Something else you can do is make a t25 or t3 adapter and mount the turbo side ways and cut the outlet and re weld it on. The spa manifold might even work which would flip it upside down and make the turbo outlet less of any issue. Glad to see you do this. I knew it would be a really good match to a stock engine.
    It's an ATW (narrowband) engine.

What I'm really curious to see how the turbo spools with a proper 3 inch exhaust. I couldn't believe the difference it made on my old GTRS elim setup. As I recall, full boost was reached a full 1000 RPM earlier.

As for mounting options, I guess you could really do it any number of ways. However I wanted to try and keep everything as close as I could to the original positions in order to be able to re-use as many of the stock oil and cooling lines as I could.

AZ Member #

Update: well my run of good luck bargains continues.

A colleague of mine in the legal profession has decided to diverify and bought into a shop with some associates of his.

When I went to check the place out, I noticed some really nice piping sitting in the corner and asked if they wanted to get rid of it and for how much.

Well as it turned out, they did, and the price was $0

With my free piping in hand, I decided to check the local classifieds for an intercooler and found a guy selling the one below as well as some couplers (a mix of silicone and OEM ones (not pictured)) for the low low price of $75.

20170831_212553 by zimbu themonkey, on Flickr

So yeah, $75 for all this, can't beat it.

While I realize the intercooler is on the small size, I plan on running water/meth, so the lion's share of the cooling will be done by the W/M. If anything, the FMIC is mainly to get rid of the small diameter and twisty OEM piping.

That said, despite it being a no name intercooler, it's actually pretty hefty. So it's not like it's made of super cheap, thin wall material. In addition to that, the internal tubes appear to be properly designed to create turbulence and promote heat exchange.

So yeah, it should be an improvement over the stock SMIC, and for $75, I can't go wrong .
    Last edited by ZimbutheMonkey; 09-04-2017 at 07:12 PM.

AZ Member #

Sooooo, update time.

It's been a hectic 6 weeks between getting married in India and wrapping up our reception back in Alberta last Saturday.

That said, I had time to fabricate myself a better exhaust system. I ended up ditching the cutout and just made myself a 2.5 inch straight through exhaust instead.

20171010_212351 by zimbu themonkey, on Flickr

20171009_221633 by zimbu themonkey, on Flickr

20170908_200619 by zimbu themonkey, on Flickr

I haven't had time to really wail on the car as I just wrapped things up over the weekend and the wife and I needed to make a 3 hour drive back home last night without getting stranded on the side of the highway

That said, initial impressions of this turbo with a free-flowing exhaust are very favorable so far.

In 5th gear on the highway, (so about 2500 RPM- 3200 RPM) it generates about 3-4 PSI positive pressure whenever I touch the throttle.

- 7 PSI is reached at about 3200 RPM

- full boost appears to be on tap from about 3700 RPM onwards.

As well, in stop and go traffic, it generates enough torque I can now get away with short shifting around 3200-3500 RPM instead of having to constantly wind it up to 4500-5000 RPM.

Overall, very similar to my old GTRS (2860) elim I had on my Passat.

Hopefully full boost and throttle response will drop down even further when I ditch the stock charge plumbing and install that 2.5 inch FMIC. I'll try and post up some logs later this week to confirm my initial impressions.

All in all though, I can say for certain now that this turbo setup is a FANTASTIC alternative for someone with some fabrication skills who wants something in the 275-300 CHP range but doesn't want to break the bank getting there.

All in all, if I had to buy all the materials to replicate what I have now, (so MS K04/2.5 in exhaust/2.5 FMIC/630 Dekas/misc other parts and lines) it could be done for under $1000 as long as you were thrifty in the classifieds and did all the fabrication and tuning yourself .

Fortunately, most everything you see here I was able to cannibalize from parts I had laying around, so as the title suggests, I'm only into this for about $300 and about a 1,000,000 hours in labor lol...
    Last edited by ZimbutheMonkey; 10-23-2017 at 04:52 PM.

AZ Member #

Fantastic update!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    92 FZR600, '76 280z

Nice update! Looking forward to seeing more progress and videos! I'm leaning more towards trying this out too (recently picked up a VBM avant), just need to search a picknpull yard for one.

and yo whats with that greenish fluid under your car?!
    kwnk

AZ Member #

Do you think that something like a United Motorsports tune would work for this turbo?

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

would this setup require upgraded rods? what would the torque be like?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mattr567 View Post
    Do you think that something like a United Motorsports tune would work for this turbo?
    Assuming that it was written for a K04 hybrid like a Frankenturbo or T28 sized turbo ( or GT28r-GT2860), then yes, I'd say so.

Quote Originally Posted by josh baker View Post
    would this setup require upgraded rods? what would the torque be like?
    No, peak torque will not be enough to endanger the rods. As for when it peaks, it depends on your supporting mods. Exhaust will affect it substantially.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

2.5 vs 3, which peaks earlier? will one hold longer/higher than the other?

AZ Member #

3 inch will always peak sooner, stronger and hold torque longer than 2.5 inch.

Active Member Two Rings kjames1270's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Just wanted to be clear the 5 bolt to v band flange would allow it to bolt up to the manifold without any cutting?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

i think im gonna pull the trigger and get one of these. just a couple more questions. do the audi oil and coolant lines fit or can they be modified to fit? and is the down pipe flange just the standard one i find on ebay? if so, i will get the one that turns into a 3" vband.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I love this thread, good job figuring things out AND sharing them with the community

WHAT is that green stuff all over the bottom of your car? Moss? I live in a wet area and it grows on everything but ive never seen it on an undercarriage
    2000 A4 Quattro 1.8T ATW

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by josh baker View Post
    i think im gonna pull the trigger and get one of these. just a couple more questions. do the audi oil and coolant lines fit or can they be modified to fit? and is the down pipe flange just the standard one i find on ebay? if so, i will get the one that turns into a 3" vband.
    You can re-use both coolant lines as well as the stock oil supply line. You WILL need to cut and re-weld the return line though as it runs into the AC compressor.

As for downpipe flanges, take your pick. Yes, the MSK04 uses a standard 5 bolt Garrett discharge. I would HIGHLY advise getting a 5 bolt to a 3 in v-Band though, it would make things way easier to fab up in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmauster View Post
    I love this thread, good job figuring things out AND sharing them with the community

WHAT is that green stuff all over the bottom of your car? Moss? I live in a wet area and it grows on everything but ive never seen it on an undercarriage
    Thanks man

The green stuff is coolant Damn flange on the back of the head was leaking

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Could we get better pics of how the filter is installed in the tube? Is it home depot stuff?

Ill prob be more or less copying your setup... Once i get my motor back together, smogged etc etc
    2000 A4 Quattro 1.8T ATW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12