Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established Member Four Rings Okedokey's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Oil and Cam Follower Change = Cylinder 4 misfire?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    A4 B7 2.0T | HPFP upgrade + FMIC | BSR Stage II + exhaust + HFC | RS4 fuel contr., PRV + S3 inj. + DW300c | GFB DV+| 034 RSB + all arms and mounts | S4 brakes | B12 Bilstein suspension + H&R springs | Polk Audio PA D5000.5 - 4 x DB6502 + db840DVC sub + Pioneer 10" sub | LEDs throughout | 19" Audi 2015 RS4 rims

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Great info, thank you!

AZ Member #

Oil and Cam Follower Change = Cylinder 4 misfire?

Welcome

Post pics for us before and after
    A4 B7 2.0T | HPFP upgrade + FMIC | BSR Stage II + exhaust + HFC | RS4 fuel contr., PRV + S3 inj. + DW300c | GFB DV+| 034 RSB + all arms and mounts | S4 brakes | B12 Bilstein suspension + H&R springs | Polk Audio PA D5000.5 - 4 x DB6502 + db840DVC sub + Pioneer 10" sub | LEDs throughout | 19" Audi 2015 RS4 rims

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Strangely a new CEL popped up yesterday for P0171. Most posts say this is a vacuum leak but with the recent issues I've experienced I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm replacing the fuel filter since I haven't changed it in a long time but I'm not sure what else to check.

Veteran Member Four Rings mtroxel's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
    Strangely a new CEL popped up yesterday for P0171. Most posts say this is a vacuum leak

It IS system too lean. That is usually caused by a vacuum leak. You motor is seeing more air than the MAF measured. Could be MAF, could also be some accidental damage caused by the cam follower work. Is it connected to your misfire? Who knows. But I'd troubleshoot that air leak. See RossTech here, but note that we don't have secondary air on the 2.0T:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...5/P0171/000369
    11 A4 Q, Black
    83,000 miles

06 A4 2.0T Q, Dakar Biege
    137,000 miles, Mods:
    APR Stage 1, color DIS, paddle shifters, OEM Bluetooth, VFIZ, auto-fold mirrors.

Veteran Member Four Rings 80sGuy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Miele S7

Strangely a new CEL popped up yesterday for P0171. Most posts say this is a vacuum leak but with the recent issues I've experienced I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm replacing the fuel filter since I haven't changed it in a long time but I'm not sure what else to check.
    It is one of the contributing factors but not necessary the main cause. When I had that code two years ago I discovered the airbox wasn't tightly sealed, when it did that was the remedy. Carefully check around the area for possible linkage to the cause.

2008 A4 2.0T | Dolphin Gray Metallic/Dk Gray | multitronic | Bluetooth | Dk Wood | Convenience. | Premium. | Sprt Susp. | Bare-bone 100% factory stock!

Established Member Two Rings B7S3wannabi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 ZCP Competition M3

P0171 could be a number of things. Intake should be smoked as a first step to check for any leaks. A faulty PCV valve or N80 valve could also cause this code.
    Check over everything you have just recently worked on including the seal on the intake temperature sensor you removed to seafoam the intake to make sure it's not damaged.

Established Member Three Rings StatusQuo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Check your tank fuel pump duty cycle at idle. Over 60% is a red flag. Check to see if it's meeting requested fuel pressure at idle and light driving.

Also check your o2 corrections.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Audizine mobile app
    B7 Audi A4 Quattro
    Upgraded HPFP | RS4 Injectors | 175 Bar PRV | 50/50 E85 | Straightpipe Exhaust | Cold Air Intake | Big Turbo | Front Mount Intercooler | -- The Maestro Community Project --

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
    It is one of the contributing factors but not necessary the main cause. When I had that code two years ago I discovered the airbox wasn't tightly sealed, when it did that was the remedy. Carefully check around the area for possible linkage to the cause.
    I'll check around for any possible leaks. Strangely the CEL disappeared on it's own today.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by B7S3wannabi View Post
    P0171 could be a number of things. Intake should be smoked as a first step to check for any leaks. A faulty PCV valve or N80 valve could also cause this code.
    Check over everything you have just recently worked on including the seal on the intake temperature sensor you removed to seafoam the intake to make sure it's not damaged.
    That's a good point about the IAT sensor, it's something I'll check. I have a catch can setup which I checked already and it's on tight so I doubt the issue is there. N80 I'll keep in mind and might change just to rule it out.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by StatusQuo View Post
    Check your tank fuel pump duty cycle at idle. Over 60% is a red flag. Check to see if it's meeting requested fuel pressure at idle and light driving.

Also check your o2 corrections.

That's good info StatusQuo but I'm only using the torque app and don't think it will pull that data like vagcom will. I'm wondering if there could be an issue with the fuel pump. For the past year or so whenever I fill the tank the car smells like gasoline until I've used about 1/4 of a tank and sometimes when WOT I experience what feels like temporary fuel cuts that drops the boost level for a fraction of a second before boost shoots back up.

AZ Member #

Hmm yeah man, vacomm is deff a good investment. If you don't wanna shell out that kind of money, there are some cheaper alternatives. OBDeleven, Carista and others come to mind. They all are good for logging issues and such.

Torque app is good. I use it. But it's many just good for the gauges

Now the WOT issues you are saying is exactly what I was having. Turned out to be my intank fuel pump. Also could be an issue with the HPFP. Unfortunately, nothing you will be able to really diagnose unless you have a specialized VW scan tool.

I would get one. (hell even the cheap ones). They pay for themselves in saving headache. Much better than having to undergo a serious job just to find out that's not the issue.

Also the gas smell could be related to the N80 valve. Easy replacement.

Hell, that can be your issue right there. Bad N80 can cause system lean faults.

B7 Audi A4 Quattro
    Upgraded HPFP | RS4 Injectors | 175 Bar PRV | 50/50 E85 | Straightpipe Exhaust | Cold Air Intake | Big Turbo | Front Mount Intercooler | -- The Maestro Community Project --

AZ Member #

That's good info StatusQuo but I'm only using the torque app and don't think it will pull that data like vagcom will. I'm wondering if there could be an issue with the fuel pump. For the past year or so whenever I fill the tank the car smells like gasoline until I've used about 1/4 of a tank and sometimes when WOT I experience what feels like temporary fuel cuts that drops the boost level for a fraction of a second before boost shoots back up.
    Check you've sealed the in tank pump correctly. The only time mine did that was when the gasket between the pump and the tank wasn't installed correctly.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by StatusQuo View Post
    Hmm yeah man, vacomm is deff a good investment. If you don't wanna shell out that kind of money, there are some cheaper alternatives. OBDeleven, Carista and others come to mind. They all are good for logging issues and such.

Torque app is good. I use it. But it's many just good for the gauges

Now the WOT issues you are saying is exactly what I was having. Turned out to be my intank fuel pump. Also could be an issue with the HPFP. Unfortunately, nothing you will be able to really diagnose unless you have a specialized VW scan tool.

I would get one. (hell even the cheap ones). They pay for themselves in saving headache. Much better than having to undergo a serious job just to find out that's not the issue.

Also the gas smell could be related to the N80 valve. Easy replacement.

Hell, that can be your issue right there. Bad N80 can cause system lean faults.

That's good info, I always wanted a vagcomm but at $300 it was too expensive. I just purchased OBDeleven, it looks like it should do most of what I need. I'll run more tests once I have it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Okedokey View Post
    Check you've sealed the in tank pump correctly. The only time mine did that was when the gasket between the pump and the tank wasn't installed correctly.
    Okedokey I haven't replaced the in tank pump yet. I just ordered OBDeleven to help run some tests on the car and may be replacing the pump soon.

AZ Member #

Let us know how it goes!

B7 Audi A4 Quattro

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I scanned with OBDeleven and pulled a P2177 - System too lean off idle, bank 1 Upper limit exceeded intermittent. I checked the take fuel pump duty cycle and was sitting at 57% at idle. Now that I have a VAG-like tool I'm definitely up for more logging. This weekend I'll get the fuel filter changed out. I didn't originally realize but the N80 valve had been replaced a long time ago and I'm not sure how failure prone they are so I'm holding off on replacing it for now. If there are any other tests you can think of doing please let me know.
    Last edited by wootwoot; 08-24-2017 at 10:48 PM.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Scratch that, N80 valves are damn cheap so I put in an order and will swap it out.