Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Oil and Cam Follower Change = Cylinder 4 misfire?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello AZ,

I recently had my cam follower swapped out and oil changed and started experiencing a P0304 code. The freeze frame shows that the misfire happens when my car is idling in my garage as the RPMs are at 0 and it happens within 10 seconds of starting up the car. This has happened twice in the past week and it happens infrequently, approximately every 6-8th start of the car. Plugs have ~30k on them and I've replaced coil packs a long time ago. The car is at 100k miles, is JHM stage 1 with a HFC and a catch can. Any thoughts on what to check from here? Thank you.

Established Member Four Rings Okedokey's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Change plugs and coils.
    A4 B7 2.0T | HPFP upgrade + FMIC | BSR Stage II + exhaust + HFC | RS4 fuel contr., PRV + S3 inj. + DW300c | GFB DV+| 034 RSB + all arms and mounts | S4 brakes | B12 Bilstein suspension + H&R springs | Polk Audio PA D5000.5 - 4 x DB6502 + db840DVC sub + Pioneer 10" sub | LEDs throughout | 19" Audi 2015 RS4 rims

Veteran Member Four Rings mtroxel's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Do you actually notice a mis-fire? p0304 is cylinder 4. Before you spend money on coils, swap the coil and plug between 3 & 4. See if you get a P0303. If the code stays put, maybe swap injectors between 3 & 4. Same test.
    06 A4 2.0T Q, Dakar Biege
    137,000 miles, Mods:
    APR Stage 1, color DIS, paddle shifters, OEM Bluetooth, VFIZ, auto-fold mirrors.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 ZCP Competition M3

Misfires on startup can be a sign of carbon buildup. Run some sea foam through the intake and see if your issue becomes less frequent.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I appreciate the quick response. Tonight I swapped coilpacks from cylinders 3 and 4 and noticed the coilpack from #4 was covered in some sort of white substance, it looks like possible coil failure. I cleaned up the coil and will see if a CEL returns on cylinder 3 now.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Went ahead and ordered 4 R8 red top coils. This should resolve the issue for good.

Veteran Member Four Rings nizmosx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 b7 a4 6MT Ti avant / 2014 Honda Grom
    Items for Sale

this happened to me recently. Went with 4 oem spark plugs and 4 OEM r8 red top coils. Problem persisted. turns out the injector was clogged.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by nizmosx View Post
    this happened to me recently. Went with 4 oem spark plugs and 4 OEM r8 red top coils. Problem persisted. turns out the injector was clogged.
    How did you fix the clogged injector?

Senior Member Four Rings Ashtonts's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
    How did you fix the clogged injector?
    Take it out and clean it. You have to pull the intake mani.

Seafoam in the fuel could possibly work? I'm guessing its not likely but someone may have more to say about that.
    2005.5 A4 2.0T Brilliant Red | 6MT | Quattro | S-Line
    Go: K04 | ST Coilovers | Carbonio | Maestro | S3 Injectors | IE Rods | JHM FMIC | Autotech HPFP | ECS Short Shifter | JHM Clutch | USP HFC | Quad-tip Exhaust | S4 Brakes
    Show: DTM Rear + Skirts | Recaro | Black Miro 111 19" | RS4 Grille | Votex Spoiler | OEM CF Trim | S4 Mirrors | Black Ext. Trim | CC + Joey Mod Bixenons | LED Tails | A8 Rings | RNSe | 20% Tint | 034 Adj. UCAs

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

I just replaced it with a good used injector. i still have the clogged one sitting around.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

The issue is back on cylinder 4. I'm picking up 4 NGK BKR7EIX plugs tonight, hoping for the best.

AZ Member #

Update?
    A4 B7 2.0T | HPFP upgrade + FMIC | BSR Stage II + exhaust + HFC | RS4 fuel contr., PRV + S3 inj. + DW300c | GFB DV+| 034 RSB + all arms and mounts | S4 brakes | B12 Bilstein suspension + H&R springs | Polk Audio PA D5000.5 - 4 x DB6502 + db840DVC sub + Pioneer 10" sub | LEDs throughout | 19" Audi 2015 RS4 rims

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

New plugs and new coils but I'm still getting the same cylinder 4 misfire. Not sure on my best next steps... carbon clean? injector replacement? Is there any way that I can narrow down the issue further without taking off the manifold?

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

As a side note my mpg has been heavily impacted, it looks like I'm getting ~15mpg. I'll have more exact info after my next fill up.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 ZCP Competition M3

Quote Originally Posted by B7S3wannabi View Post
    Misfires on startup can be a sign of carbon buildup. Run some sea foam through the intake and see if your issue becomes less frequent.
    This
    2006 Sline A4 Quattro 2.0T | JHM K04R | JHM Tuning | JHM HPFP Upgrade, S3 Injectors, RS4 Fuel Controller | R8 Ignition Coils | APR Carbonio CAI | AWE FMIC | Golf R Intake Camshaft | USP Test Pipe, Europaparts Catback | JHM Lightweight Crank Pulley |

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A4, 87 Jag XJ6, Lex RX300, HD Street Rod, Grumman Yankee AA1A

Are you sure you have good compression on cylinder 4? Just a thought.

Established Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

how long after the CF and oil change work did you get the code ? next day ? same day ? week later ?
    and you ONLY get the code right after start up?
    does it throw a CEL when it happens ?
    2014 Nissan Murano
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Im going to go with a clogged injector. If you are mechanically inclined, remove your cyl 4 injector and swap it with say clyinder 2 and see if the missfire moves to cyl 2.

AZ Member #

Im going to go with a clogged injector. If you are mechanically inclined, remove your cyl 4 injector and swap it with say clyinder 2 and see if the missfire moves to cyl 2.
    doesn't the intake have to come off for that ? and the injector resealed after removing ?

I mean anything is possible but clogged injector with todays modern fuels ?
    2014 Nissan Murano
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Theiceman View Post
    how long after the CF and oil change work did you get the code ? next day ? same day ? week later ?
    and you ONLY get the code right after start up?
    does it throw a CEL when it happens ?
    Started to throw codes about 4 days after I had the car back. If I clear the code it comes back every 3-4 days. Every freeze frame indicates the code was thrown at 0 rpm so shortly after starting the car in the garage. The issue is apparent every time I start the car since you feel a vibration or kick when cylinder 4 struggles.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I'm thinking an injector issue or a carbon issue at this point. I am mechanically inclined but taking off the manifold looks like a huge job and between work and my son I haven't had a lot of time to work on the car. If the injectors were easier to get to I'd swap them to see what happens. I put in a can of techron today to see if it would help as I figure out a better plan. My concern right now is that I'll need to swap injectors or get a carbon cleaning, neither of which is cheap. Any other thoughts on how I can diagnose this?

Veteran Member Four Rings 80sGuy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Miele S7

Why don't you put in a set of these instead. They are pre-gapped and made specifically for our engines. Been using them for years with zero issues.
    06H-905-601-A / NGK PFR7S8EG

2008 A4 2.0T | Dolphin Gray Metallic/Dk Gray | multitronic | Bluetooth | Dk Wood | Convenience. | Premium. | Sprt Susp. | Bare-bone 100% factory stock!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 ZCP Competition M3

Quote Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
    Why don't you put in a set of these instead. They are pre-gapped and made specifically for our engines. Been using them for years with zero issues.
    06H-905-601-A / NGK PFR7S8EG

WTF?

And for the last time.... instead of pulling the manifold pour a can of sea foam into the intake while the car is running to clean some of the carbon that way. SIMPLE and costs you like 8 dollars.
    If you need a tutorial the search engine is your friend.
    Oooorrrr. Ignore the help again.

AZ Member #

Becauase they're just spark plugs http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...FR7S8EG/523429

Available unbranded.

AZ Member #

at zero RPM ? that seems impossible to me . you are not at zero RPMs even with the starter motor turning . seems odd. But you might be right as the giveaway is the shudder and misfire on start. I wonder if they disturbed the coil pack wiring around cylinder 4 while they were monkeying with CF . Just a thought.
    2014 Nissan Murano
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

WTF?

And for the last time.... instead of pulling the manifold pour a can of sea foam into the intake while the car is running to clean some of the carbon that way. SIMPLE and costs you like 8 dollars.
    This didn't work for me. Granted each case is different so its worth a shot.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

WTF?

I'll try sea foam this weekend but if you look through old threads it has proven to do little to nothing so I don't have very high hopes. Last night I tried to give my car an Italian tune-up and while it has been driving better a CEL popped up on me again tonight within 7 seconds of starting the car.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Theiceman View Post
    at zero RPM ? that seems impossible to me . you are not at zero RPMs even with the starter motor turning . seems odd. But you might be right as the giveaway is the shudder and misfire on start. I wonder if they disturbed the coil pack wiring around cylinder 4 while they were monkeying with CF . Just a thought.
    Sorry I meant to say 0 MPH it happens when the car is just starting to warm up. I'll check the coil pack wiring by cylinder 4 to see if anything looks off.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 ZCP Competition M3

I'll try sea foam this weekend but if you look through old threads it has proven to do little to nothing so I don't have very high hopes. Last night I tried to give my car an Italian tune-up and while it has been driving better a CEL popped up on me again tonight within 7 seconds of starting the car.
    If done properly and every so often it actually works very well. Just had an A3 in the shop for a random miss on cold starts only and cured with a sea foam treatment. The only odd piece of info on your situation is the miss specifically on cylinder 4. So it may not do anything at all... but for 20 minutes of your time and 8 dollars vs pulling the intake?
    Also, if you're going to pull the intake, I'd have a spare working injector on hand to install. Waste of time to pull the intake just to swap injectors from cylinder to cylinder just to have to pull it back out if it is in fact a faulty injector.

AZ Member #

Oil and Cam Follower Change = Cylinder 4 misfire?

Just be careful with the Italian tune up approach these cars do not like that. If something is wrong go easy till you fix it.
    I can't tell you how many times I read " I had an issue so I decided to go do some wot logging " and bang. Dash warning Lights on, game over
    The classic was " my oil pressure light came in so I thought it might go out if I revved it so I took it on a high speed run". You can probably guess the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2014 Nissan Murano
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #

Compression test is next

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

If done properly and every so often it actually works very well. Just had an A3 in the shop for a random miss on cold starts only and cured with a sea foam treatment. The only odd piece of info on your situation is the miss specifically on cylinder 4. So it may not do anything at all... but for 20 minutes of your time and 8 dollars vs pulling the intake?
    Also, if you're going to pull the intake, I'd have a spare working injector on hand to install. Waste of time to pull the intake just to swap injectors from cylinder to cylinder just to have to pull it back out if it is in fact a faulty injector.
    Where do I feed the seafoam? I bought the spray can style of seafoam and looked through old tutorials but can't identify where exactly to spray.

AZ Member #

Intake temp port on manifold

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 ZCP Competition M3

Where do I feed the seafoam? I bought the spray can style of seafoam and looked through old tutorials but can't identify where exactly to spray.
    I never use the spray. Get a can of the liquid and as Okie said remove the intake temp sensor. Using a small vacuum hose put on end in the intake, start the car and slowly pour the solution into the other end of the tube. I use about a half can and it takes about 2-3 minutes to pour it in. When you are done immediately turn off the engine. Reinstall temp sensor and wait 15 minutes. Start the vehicle after the wait time and give it some very good revs followed by a spirited drive.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Seafoamed this weekend using 1/3 of the can in the intake temp sensor and 1/3 in the gas tank. Huge smokey clouds came out the exhaust as I drove around. 50 miles later and the car is pulling harder than before and no CEL yet. Only time will tell but hopefully this will get me by for a while.

AZ Member #

Seafoamed this weekend using 1/3 of the can in the intake temp sensor and 1/3 in the gas tank. Huge smokey clouds came out the exhaust as I drove around. 50 miles later and the car is pulling harder than before and no CEL yet. Only time will tell but hopefully this will get me by for a while.
    If that's the case, time to remove the manifold and clean the carbon from the intake valves, injectors etc IMO.

Veteran Member Four Rings Biged243's Avatar
    AZ Member #

On the safe side when/if you carbon clean replace that injector. You did put sea foam in the tank, even though in the tank does nothing for the valves, I believe it does help with the injectors themselves and the injectors have been known to get clogged up. A good old fashion carbon cleaning does sound like a must though.
    What ever makes sense go with the opposite and you got it

Veteran Member Four Rings 80sGuy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Miele S7

Haven't check my cam follower. Wonder how it looks. I'm 100% bare-bone stock with 65K US miles. The car has been sitting in the garage for months collecting dusts.

2008 A4 2.0T | Dolphin Gray Metallic/Dk Gray | multitronic | Bluetooth | Dk Wood | Convenience. | Premium. | Sprt Susp. | Bare-bone 100% factory stock!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Biged243 View Post
    On the safe side when/if you carbon clean replace that injector. You did put sea foam in the tank, even though in the tank does nothing for the valves, I believe it does help with the injectors themselves and the injectors have been known to get clogged up. A good old fashion carbon cleaning does sound like a must though.
    I wouldn't be changing the injectors unless there is absolute proof its an issue. Either way, they can be cleaned when doing a carbon clean.

OP make sure you get all the necessary gaskets, hardware etc including injector seals. I used brake clean and a plastic bristled brush to scrub the valves and ports. Makes a massive difference.

Currently working on a plan to allow piston crown cleaning via the spark plug holes :) Stay tuned.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Okedokey View Post
    I wouldn't be changing the injectors unless there is absolute proof its an issue. Either way, they can be cleaned when doing a carbon clean.

OP make sure you get all the necessary gaskets, hardware etc including injector seals. I used brake clean and a plastic bristled brush to scrub the valves and ports. Makes a massive difference.

Currently working on a plan to allow piston crown cleaning via the spark plug holes :) Stay tuned.
    Do you have a list of the hardware that is required by chance? I won't undertake this project until it cools off outside so I have some time to plan it out.