Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Sell or Trade the S3 for a Taco?!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!

Recently I've been debating parting with my S3 due to life reasons. I love it in every way, but I "need" a truck!!

I could afford both, I just prefer to stay away from the extra financial woes. What do you guys think I could get for her...KBB gives us atrocious trade in values...

Here's my car:

2016 PP Sepang Blue w/ 9,2xx miles

Options:

Black optics
    Navigation
    Side Assists
    Parking Sensors
    Panda interior (Grey/Black seats)
    B&O Sound
    Mag Ride
    Full LED headlights

*Potential future truck

2017 Tacoma Orange TRD Offroad
    Dual Cab
    Navi/JBL sound
    Offroad package
    Tow package
    2016 S3 Sepang Blue I Black Optics I BBS RS-GT I ED emmotion lowering springs I ED carbon fiber trunk lip

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 Boxster S, 2003 Subaru WRX, 2009 BMW 335i 6MT, 1973 VW Beetle

Buy a Ford Ranger for $2-$3k, depending on what configuration you need.

Veteran Member Four Rings TCHUN003's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, Honda Ruckus
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by stephenmeade View Post
    Wr3ks, I personally can't let my s3 go. I love it too much, but if it's something you do without, it's probably smarter to have one payment.

Stephenmeade, what are the best years to buy? Any common issues to lool out for? I see a lot of rangers needed their engines rebuilt? I've been looking for a cheap truck for a commuter.
    -Thomas
    Current: /S3
    Previous: B6 A4/B8A4 Avant

Active Member Two Rings seank13's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Buy a first gen Taco with the 3.4l v6. It'll run to over 300,000 miles and you can either work on it yourself or have an indi shop do it on the cheap.

Full disclosure; commenter owns a 3rd gen 4runner with the 3.4l v6 that has over 280,000 miles and wouldn't trade it for any newer "truck".

edit: 1st gen Taco and 3rd gen 4runner are basically identical from 1996-1999. For a Taco, get a 1999-2004.

Established Member Three Rings sean_entrust's Avatar
    AZ Member #

keep your s3 and buy a truck, debt is the american way! But seriously in 2005 I had a wrx and I loved it but then i bought a boat and needed a truck so i got rid of my wry after 6 months. I regret it everyday and still miss that car.
    2017 S3 P+ (Mine) Daytona Gray Pearl / Black Optic / Carbon Fiber Package / 034 springs / Stoptech BBK / 12.94 @105.3mph stock
    2012 Q5 P+ (Wife) Ibis White

AZ Member #

I've been looking at used trucks as well. Used Taco's are still a good chunk of change. New England vehicles are put through the ringer with our winters up here. Finding a decent used truck is tricky...Doable but tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by TCHUN003 View Post
    Stephenmeade, what are the best years to buy? Any common issues to lool out for? I see a lot of rangers needed their engines rebuilt? I've been looking for a cheap truck for a commuter.
    I've wondered this myself.

Quote Originally Posted by seank13 View Post
    Buy a first gen Taco with the 3.4l v6. It'll run to over 300,000 miles and you can either work on it yourself or have an indi shop do it on the cheap.

Full disclosure; commenter owns a 3rd gen 4runner with the 3.4l v6 that has over 280,000 miles and wouldn't trade it for any newer "truck".

edit: 1st gen Taco and 3rd gen 4runner are basically identical from 1996-1999. For a Taco, get a 1999-2004.
    I would love to buy my fathers 2005 Tundra V8 quad cab, he won't let it go! Taco's within that 99-04 year range still run for roughly $15k with 100+k miles. They're definitely reliable. What MY were the frame replacements done?
    2016 S3 Sepang Blue I Black Optics I BBS RS-GT I ED emmotion lowering springs I ED carbon fiber trunk lip

AZ Member #

My wife has a 2002 Taco that she loves dearly. It's a little rough around the edges but it's simply a great little truck that's incredibly cheap to own. It has 290,000 miles on it and has only required minor work (cat, radiator) apart from regularly(ish) done maintenance. We were visiting the in-laws a few weeks back and some guy knocked on their house and offered us 5 Grand right there and then for the truck so it seems like people know they're a good truck.

If you're only keeping one car, then I guess the new Taco is preferred but I say that if you keep the S3 and get an old Taco, you'd be golden and appreciate the S3 more too haha

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Wr3ks_S3 View Post
    I would love to buy my fathers 2005 Tundra V8 quad cab, he won't let it go! Taco's within that 99-04 year range still run for roughly $15k with 100+k miles. They're definitely reliable. What MY were the frame replacements done?
    Hmm, that's a good question. The 4runners were unaffected by the frame issue so I'm not sure exactly, but I'm pretty sure the 1999 was NOT covered by the replacement (buddy has one and he redid his own frame). I see you're in NH, so don't buy one there as the frame WILL be rusted. Search for one in the south. And don't be afraid of getting one with 200k plus, they'll still run great and can be had a lot cheaper than $15k. Hell, that seems high even for a 100k+ plus truck. When I was looking for mine four years ago I saw a lot of great examples in the $7-10k range with less than 200k miles. I got my 4runner with 260k for less than $5k in CO with no rust, so it's possible to find a good deal.

Established Member Two Rings INYAUDI's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Use a 98 taco v6 for works light duty utility stuff here in NH. Thing is awesome. Starts everytime and I've taken it 200 miles with 1000 lbs in the back no problem. Rear diff lock, 4 lo hi and 2wd. Things a champ at 185k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ZERO FÜCHS DRIVEN

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 S3, 2017 Alltrack

I recently bought a house and finding myself needing a truck frequently and this was my plan right here.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Well, I just bought a 2017 Ford Raptor last week as a company car. I love it! I say just get a truck!
    12' Audi A3 Premium+ | Deep Sea Blue Pearl | Open Sky | ST Coilovers | Full LED Interior | RS3 Front Grill | VMR V710 18" Gunmetal | Milltek Non-Resonated Catback Exhaust

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by abiley84 View Post
    Well, I just bought a 2017 Ford Raptor last week as a company car. I love it! I say just get a truck!
    Believe it or not, I cross shopped those with the RS3... but the prices dealers were asking were not worth the trouble as I only wanted it just because it was cool - it solved no practical problem for me other than being a fast truck (worse MPG, I wouldn't probably off-road it, etc)

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Monsoon S3

Quote Originally Posted by abiley84 View Post
    That has to be up there as cool company cars to have!
    2016 Monsoon S3
    My slow build link - Onequick4door

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene View Post
    Believe it or not, I cross shopped those with the RS3... but the prices dealers were asking were not worth the trouble as I only wanted it just because it was cool - it solved no practical problem for me other than being a fast truck (worse MPG, I wouldn't probably off-road it, etc)
    Yeah, the markup on is was horrible. They were asking $15k above sticker, and with the one I got spec'd how it was, they wanted $85k out the door. I paid full in cash so I had good enough bargaining power on it. I heard down in San Diego, the Raptors are going for $30k markup.
    12' Audi A3 Premium+ | Deep Sea Blue Pearl | Open Sky | ST Coilovers | Full LED Interior | RS3 Front Grill | VMR V710 18" Gunmetal | Milltek Non-Resonated Catback Exhaust

Established Member Two Rings PsiBlast's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm actually looking to sell my 2004 Tacoma double cab. Under 100K miles. PM if interested.
    2016 Audi S3 Premium Plus | Sepang Blue Pearl Effect / Black Interior | Technology package | 19" Performance package | Bang & Olufsen Sound System

MSS Sports Fully Adjustable Spring Kit | SuperPro 24mm rear sway bar | SuperPro front end links | SuperPro rear end links | 034 Motorsport rear subframe mount inserts | 034 Motorsport dogbone mount insert | Resonator delete

AZ Member #

@Mops@SupremePower has some Taco experience I'm sure he could chime in on.

NADA says 37 with your options for clean trade-in and 40.5 for clean retail. I'd negotiate from there. Personally, if I was getting a Taco I'd have to shoot for the TRD Pro (which are still expensive). That and the Raptor are the only two trucks I'd consider. What about the Canyon/Colorado twins if you're looking new?

Also...starting dibs on the wheels.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Mops@SupremePower's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 S4, '16 SQ5

Good call Hunter!

Yea, I've had 5-6 Tacos. LOVE them! When I bought my first home, I sold my B6 and 2001 Taco and get a new 2009 DC TRD Sport. Then bought another identical 2014. Bought both new, sold one for what I paid, the other for $500 than what I paid. With a Taco, you either buy new, or go all of the way back to say 2004. Used ones are so damn expensive. I actually looked at getting another last month. I'm so against having another third vehicle, but I miss having a truck badly. In short, the new 2014 I paid $30,500 for over three years ago... is selling for $30K-$33K today. I could have driven that truck for 3 years at no cost. Needless to say, I quickly closed my laptop. But yes, amazing trucks, and pretty cheap to mod.

How can I not...

IMG_3539 by Audiyos, on Flickr

IMG_3202 by Audiyos, on Flickr
    ADV.1 | AG | Advan | APR | AWE | BBS | BLK | Brembo | Capristo | 034MS | Forgeline | GMG | H&R | Klassen | Milltek | Modulare | OZ | Stoptech | Volk | Vorsteiner | Work | and many more

Use code Mops13 for 13% off your Adams Polishes order!

AZ Member #

#1 If I could pull 38.5 to 39 outta the dealer or negotiate on the taco I'd do it. And yes, Hunter you have dibs!

#2 Dammit Ben!! hahahaha

#3 I still want to stay in an audi even if I pull the deal on a truck... Used tacos (hehehehe) are still almost full retail up here, with a lot of miles on them. It's like I'm back in the Subaru WRX/STI game again...

#4 Maybe RS3 in 3 years....

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

it depressing to know that the s3 doesn't have a high resale value.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S3, 4runner, R6

Ok

Recently I've been debating parting with my S3 due to life reasons. I love it in every way, but I "need" a truck!!

I could afford both, I just prefer to stay away from the extra financial woes. What do you guys think I could get for her...KBB gives us atrocious trade in values...

Here's my car:

2016 PP Sepang Blue w/ 9,2xx miles

Options:

Black optics
    Navigation
    Side Assists
    Parking Sensors
    Panda interior (Grey/Black seats)
    B&O Sound
    Mag Ride
    Full LED headlights

*Potential future truck

2017 Tacoma Orange TRD Offroad
    Dual Cab
    Navi/JBL sound
    Offroad package
    Tow package
    I tried selling my 2016 S3 (10500 miles) here in Los Angeles, but have decided to keep it since I have not had any decent offers.

Audi USA dealership trade in offered $33,000
    Toyota dealership trade in offered $34,500
    Carmax offered $34,000

Shifty resale value for this awesome car......my 2006 Sti had way better resale value that this car.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal S3 View Post
    Ok

I tried selling my 2016 S3 (10500 miles) here in Los Angeles, but have decided to keep it since I have not had any decent offers.

Audi USA dealership trade in offered $33,000
    Toyota dealership trade in offered $34,500
    Carmax offered $34,000

Shifty resale value for this awesome car......my 2006 Sti had way better resale value that this car.
    OUCH, a nearly $20k depreciation in one year is unacceptable. I know it's an Audi but that's terrible.

AZ Member #

BTW, thanks everyone for all the feedback. Even those I didn't directly reply too.

I feel that if I do go the taco route I won't be disappointed!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    17 S3 Nano Gray

Quote Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene View Post
    I did the same, was going to sell my Duramax but the raptor tows like shit so I kept the Duramax and bought the s3!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S3, 4runner, R6

I forgot to mention.....its not what KBB or NADA says car is worth, its what the dealer is willing to offer you and since you are there to deal they (dealership) knows they can low ball you when trading in your S3...you want what they have.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Are the older Tundras any good? Reliability?
    -Thomas

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 S4, '16 SQ5

#1 If I could pull 38.5 to 39 outta the dealer or negotiate on the taco I'd do it. And yes, Hunter you have dibs!

#2 Dammit Ben!! hahahaha

#3 I still want to stay in an audi even if I pull the deal on a truck... Used tacos (hehehehe) are still almost full retail up here, with a lot of miles on them. It's like I'm back in the Subaru WRX/STI game again...
    Give the dealers hell my man. You can work them pretty hard. My Tacos were ~$35,500 sticker, and I simply dropped my number to 4-5 dealers and waited for a bite. Bought them both for $30-$30.5K.

Such a fan of them 😁

So true on used. I had no intention of buying new when I got my 09. But fuck... when a 07 with 30K is $27,500 and new is $30K... no brainer. Between my 09 and 14... my third was a 05 2.5 RS lol. Drove for 2 years... sold for $1,500 more.

Are the older Tundras any good? Reliability?
    Yea, the 4.7 is solid. Hate the look of the interior though. There was also a T100 with the 3.4L. Very solid truck. But overall, the best value for a DD/light duty worker is the 2.7L 95-04 Taco. IMO
    ADV.1 | AG | Advan | APR | AWE | BBS | BLK | Brembo | Capristo | 034MS | Forgeline | GMG | H&R | Klassen | Milltek | Modulare | OZ | Stoptech | Volk | Vorsteiner | Work | and many more

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mops@SupremePower View Post
    Give the dealers hell my man. You can work them pretty hard. My Tacos were ~$35,500 sticker, and I simply dropped my number to 4-5 dealers and waited for a bite. Bought them both for $30-$30.5K.

Such a fan of them ��
    I always do, I'll walk out if I'm not happy with the deal. I like the way the TRD Pro (MSRP $42,000) looks but I'll never use it to it's full potential.

With that in mind I'm thinking of going with...

#1 TRD Offroad Orange MSRP $36,850
    More rugged offroad suspension
    Dirt/Road tires
    Matte Black Fenders
    Locking rear diff
    Crawl Control

#2 TRD Sport Silver $35,850
    Softer road tuned suspension
    Road Tires
    Hood Scoop
    Body Colored fender flares

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 S4, '16 SQ5

Sport for me every time. I cannot do black flares. Tires/wheels/suspension come off week 1 anyways.

Mops on the move

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mops@SupremePower View Post
    Sport for me every time. I cannot do black flares. Tires/wheels/suspension come off week 1 anyways.

Mops on the move
    I have to keep it stock if I'm going to get into a B7 RS4 sometime soon....

AZ Member #

I'd go with the sport if you can option in a locking rear diff. I would not own another truck/suv without a rear locking diff. It is very useful far more often than you can imagine even if you never go off road. Plus it greatly increases the resale value of a Taco, at least in the older models.

AZ Member #

I've reached out to some local dealers so far the best offer I've received is $36500 for my S3 and $2k off MSRP (TRD Sport).

I've also been browsing CL and found 2 potential used Tacos both manual. If I go the below route I keep the S3

99' SR5 single cab, great shape, frame replaced, repainted black, lift kit, 35s $6,000 w/180k
    https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/6184800418.html

03' access cab good shape stock $5,000 w/113k
    https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/6206038992.html

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

I'm picking up a 1999 v6 taco today! It has 150k miles. The only thing that hasn't been done is the timing belt and water pump, so I'll need to get that, but otherwise I'm pretty excited that I won't be racking up the miles on the s3 for the next year or so.
    -Thomas

AZ Member #

I'm picking up a 1999 v6 taco today! It has 150k miles. The only thing that hasn't been done is the timing belt and water pump, so I'll need to get that, but otherwise I'm pretty excited that I won't be racking up the miles on the s3 for the next year or so.
    Congrats, hoping to park my S3 inside this winter and drive a taco V6 too

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    E46 M3 (Phoenix Yellow)

I've also got a Sepang Blue S3, black optics ..... I bought a 2001 Ranger in May. I was shopping Taco's and other small pickups too. Toughest car search I have ever gone though! A few sold before I even got a chance to look at them. It seems like trucks overall go for more than they're really worth because of their use value. If you're looking for a real beater you can stay around 5k or under. Anything I looked at in the 2-3k range was totally beat or had a ton of miles. Tacos were around double the price of a comparable ranger at least in my area. I wanted something a little nicer so I spent more than I wanted to but I got a great little truck. 2001 Ranger Supercab, 3L V6, 61k miles, $7k. KBB which is always way high on value said it was worth $5500 lol. However I looked at a lot of trucks over a 4 month period and the market commands a lot more than any book value. So I eventually bit the bullet and bought one. I love it and I use it all the time. Good luck with your search!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Tripe46 View Post
    I've also got a Sepang Blue S3, black optics ..... I bought a 2001 Ranger in May. I was shopping Taco's and other small pickups too. Toughest car search I have ever gone though! A few sold before I even got a chance to look at them. It seems like trucks overall go for more than they're really worth because of their use value. If you're looking for a real beater you can stay around 5k or under. Anything I looked at in the 2-3k range was totally beat or had a ton of miles. Tacos were around double the price of a comparable ranger at least in my area. I wanted something a little nicer so I spent more than I wanted to but I got a great little truck. 2001 Ranger Supercab, 3L V6, 61k miles, $7k. KBB which is always way high on value said it was worth $5500 lol. However I looked at a lot of trucks over a 4 month period and the market commands a lot more than any book value. So I eventually bit the bullet and bought one. I love it and I use it all the time. Good luck with your search!
    I'm willing to go to $10k on a taco if I have too. I'd rather stay in the $5-6k range. Definitely a V6 either way. I don't need a double cab just the 6' bed.. Found a couple 2008s for about the 10k range.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    E46 M3 (Phoenix Yellow)

I'm willing to go to $10k on a taco if I have too. I'd rather stay in the $5-6k range. Definitely a V6 either way. I don't need a double cab just the 6' bed.. Found a couple 2008s for about the 10k range.
    That's not bad! I had to have a manual trans on the truck, which compounded the difficulty on my search. I didn't care about the bigger cab but am happy that I have it. I'm also in the rust belt and a lot of the Tacos that I was hoping to buy looked great until I got underneath...That's something to look out for on any used truck on the east coast, but particularly on Tacomas. I know that they were recalling Taco frames for a few years!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Tripe46 View Post
    That's not bad! I had to have a manual trans on the truck, which compounded the difficulty on my search. I didn't care about the bigger cab but am happy that I have it. I'm also in the rust belt and a lot of the Tacos that I was hoping to buy looked great until I got underneath...That's something to look out for on any used truck on the east coast, but particularly on Tacomas. I know that they were recalling Taco frames for a few years!
    Yeah, that's my #1 watchout.

They are possible just hard to find. I did find a 2004 V6 auto with 61k original miles they wanted like $11k.