Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

B9 Highway Queens!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Garage queens need not apply! Those of you that drive (everywhere) post up your mileage, length of ownership and any service/required maintenance up to that point.

I live in the desert and given the altitude and heat index it can be considered extreme driving. Therefore, I change my oil at 7,500 miles instead of 10k.

The problem with going in earlier than the stated service intervals is that you can't a la carte your service. An oil change is an oil change. You can't pull out certain things from the service description because they can't charge separately and it won't be marked as completed in your service history. So. My 30k service was just done at 25,220 miles...a week and a half ago.

Today I celebrate 27k miles! Purchased July 12th of last year. So about 343 days I think? The only thing I've had to do so far was change out one underbody liner that got jacked up running through deep water. Other than that, no issues except a couple of times when I experienced some hard downshifting coming to a red light a couple of times and a bad 5f control module that killed the nav system. but other than that? Perfect!

High-mile B9 owners, please chime in!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Established Member Two Rings DetRebel's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Chevy Impala

This is an excellent thread idea! As a low mileage driver, thank you for going where no one has gone before lol

Hopefully there won't be any issues with the B9 like the start of the B8.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 B9 A4 2.0T Quattro DSG , 2015 Q5 2.0T Quattro TIP

14800kms, got the car on Feb 8th 2017!

changed my oil once at 6000km, due for first service very shortly! Mine will definitely go past 130k kms in 4 years.. hope it holds up!
    2017 B9 A4 2.0T Quattro S Tronic | Daytona Gray | Too many mods... |

Past:
    2015 B8.5 A4 2.0T Tip Black
    2003 B6 A4 1.8T Tip DG

IG: keithlauuu

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DetRebel View Post
    This is an excellent thread idea! As a low mileage driver, thank you for going where no one has gone before lol

Hopefully there won't be any issues with the B9 like the start of the B8.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Thanks, Det.

And hopefully not!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by yb28 View Post
    14800kms, got the car on Feb 8th 2017!

changed my oil once at 6000km, due for first service very shortly! Mine will definitely go past 130k kms in 4 years.. hope it holds up!
    I'm sure it will handle that distance just fine. If it doesn't, well, I'll let you know first!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 B9 A4 2.0T Quattro DSG , 2015 Q5 2.0T Quattro TIP

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggz911 View Post
    I'm sure it will handle that distance just fine. If it doesn't, well, I'll let you know first!

sounds great! :D
    2017 B9 A4 2.0T Quattro S Tronic | Daytona Gray | Too many mods... |

Past:
    2015 B8.5 A4 2.0T Tip Black
    2003 B6 A4 1.8T Tip DG

IG: keithlauuu

AZ Member #

37k mile update.

At 35,550, driver side window regulator was replaced due to loose window guides. Definitely doesn't sound like a busted up civic anymore.

Coolant flush, oil change tire rotstion...etc., all completed (though the coolant flush became a sore subject when I specifically told them to skip it until I hit 40k miles. No one needs to change their damn coolant at 14 months of ownership and 35k miles. No one!

Anyhow. Pads are at 8mm on all four corners. Not bad but considering 99.999999% of my driving is all highway, it is okay I suppose.

Tread life... finally starting to chomp into these terrible stock P7 18" tires. 5/32 fall around. Can't wait to replace them.

No other issues to report!

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggz911 View Post
    37k mile update.

At 35,550, driver side window regulator was replaced due to loose window guides. Definitely doesn't sound like a busted up civic anymore.

Coolant flush, oil change tire rotstion...etc., all completed (though the coolant flush became a sore subject when I specifically told them to skip it until I hit 40k miles. No one needs to change their damn coolant at 14 months of ownership and 35k miles. No one!

Anyhow. Pads are at 8mm on all four corners. Not bad but considering 99.999999% of my driving is all highway, it is okay I suppose.

Tread life... finally starting to chomp into these terrible stock P7 18" tires. 5/32 fall around. Can't wait to replace them.

No other issues to report!

Glad to hear everything is running smoothly! At this rate, you're surpass my B8.5 mileage in a few months, ha! How much do you drive daily? Looks like you're just around 30k/year (I'm around 25k/year in my B8.5). Just curious.
    2014 S4 | Glacier White | Premium + | DSG

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Got my 2017 A4 quattro on march 20th. As of today my wife has put 17.5k miles on it. (so she doing a 32k per year clip) She is an insurance auditor and logs about 100 miles a day, 95% of that highway. To say Im impressed with the mpg is an understatement as it usually hand calculates out to 32.5 mpg per tank. Although not as good as her TDI Passat which usually clocked about 47 mpg, i think it does very well for a vehicle that can do 5.7 0-60 lol

As for problems non yet except for a right rear window that decided to roll down an inch twice in one day. Had dealer check it and nothing was found and it hasnt happened since.

Getting ready to do the 20k oil change and cant decide which oil to use.... looking at Castrol Edge 0w-40 and Ravenol 0W-40. Ravenol has slightly better numbers but is double the cost.
    Last edited by dbias; 10-23-2017 at 03:20 PM.

AZ Member #

Hi dbias,

Audi requires VW 504 or 502 rated oil. When you change your oil why not use a VW504 oil spec. It is superior to the VW502 oils that you listed. VW504 spec oil (5W30) is rated for low friction and may increase your mpg. You can purchase TOTAL oil or other VW504 rated oil on Amazon. On long road trips I usually get from 37 mpg to 40 mpg with a per tank mileage range of ~600 miles.
    2018 A4 Prestige Trim

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AudiS4SD View Post
    Glad to hear everything is running smoothly! At this rate, you're surpass my B8.5 mileage in a few months, ha! How much do you drive daily? Looks like you're just around 30k/year (I'm around 25k/year in my B8.5). Just curious.
    I don't actually have a daily tally. One-way to work is 42 miles plus any driving while at work. And then come the weekends which can easily eat up 400-1,000 miles depending on if I decide to run away for a photo-op or out to Scottsdale. Some weekends it stays parked in he garage if I'm too busy with school work to leave the house. But yeah, right now about 30-33k/yr average right now but that could change. I also average 34-36mpg (true mileage) during regular to-from work driving. The calculated mileage has gotten as high as 39.2mpg on long-distance, steady-speed drives. I never did the volume/mileage calculation but I'm sure it was pretty close. Very impressed with that aspect of this vehicle. It'll likely be a permanent DD if reliability keeps up.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Hi dbias,

Audi requires VW 504 or 502 rated oil. When you change your oil why not use a VW504 oil spec. It is superior to the VW502 oils that you listed. VW504 spec oil (5W30) is rated for low friction and may increase your mpg. You can purchase TOTAL oil or other VW504 rated oil on Amazon. On long road trips I usually get from 37 mpg to 40 mpg with a per tank mileage range of ~600 miles.
    Yeah the 504/507 oils are what i used in my TDI for the low ash to protect the DPF. They have a low TBN number though and i dont know how they would hold up to the sulfur in US gasoline though.

here is a link for those of us who have an oil fetish lol.... https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

AZ Member #

Hay dbias,
    Thanks for the link for the oil characteristics.
    2018 A4 Prestige Trim

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

If you look closely nothing comes close to the overall protection called for in the VW 504/507 And Porsche A30 oil specs. Easy to feel good about these but personally I would have to pull an oil sample at 5k to see where the tbn was before pushing it to 10k. As the highway queens title for this thread indicates my A4 sees almost all highway miles and oil always comes up to temp which helps with the longevity of the oil so I may check these oils out in the future. I can source this oil at my local VW dealer for $8 a quart.
    Just passed 20k yesterday btw in 7 months.