Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings NaiveTurtle's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Facelift Tail Lights Lost Coding After Dead Battery?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey all,

Had something very bizarre happen today. Went to start the car after it had been sitting for a while. Turns out I needed to jump it. Get the car running and I get a tail light malfunction. Take the car for a spin and the turn signals on the dash seem to be flashing at twice the normal speed.

Get home and test the tail lights. When I depress the brakes the turn signals turn on. Turn the hazards on and the turn signals flash. Turn the head lights on and both the brake light and turn signals turn on.

For reference, I bought the Kufatec Facelift LED tail light kit for my 2008 S5. Used the kufatec dongle 2 years ago without any issue. Now I'm having issues after a jump.

Can anyone help? Or provide their adaptation coding for their RoW facelift on a pre-facelift car? I have a message out to DavidB8 and haven't heard back yet.
    2008 GMG World Challenge 6MT []S5 Ibis White/Black Alcantara
    [Mods - GIAC 91 Tune | GMG WC Sport Downpipes | GMG WC Sport Cat-Back | GMG WC Front & Rear Sway Bars | AP Racing 6-Piston Front BBK | 20x9.5 HRE P40's | Accuair B8 Sport Kit]
    2003 Burgundy Red Pearl Allroad
    Instagram: @NaiveTurtle

Senior Member Three Rings Jeff V.'s Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 S5 6MT

It's possible the changes were never saved to the non-volatile memory in the BCM. Let me know if you don't hear back from David. Assuming you have VCDS, I can help you get your lights fixed. It's not as easy as posting coding values because the way your adapters are wired out changes which values you need to write to which channels. It's not difficult. Just time consuming.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff V. View Post
    It's possible the changes were never saved to the non-volatile memory in the BCM. Let me know if you don't hear back from David. Assuming you have VCDS, I can help you get your lights fixed. It's not as easy as posting coding values because the way your adapters are wired out changes which values you need to write to which channels. It's not difficult. Just time consuming.
    Jeff,

I have not heard back from either Kufatec or David. Is there any way you would be willing to help me out? I have to have the car back on the road before Thursday. At minimum I would need to get my old Halogen tails working.
    [Mods - GIAC 91 Tune | GMG WC Sport Downpipes | GMG WC Sport Cat-Back | GMG WC Front & Rear Sway Bars | AP Racing 6-Piston Front BBK | 20x9.5 HRE P40's | Accuair B8 Sport Kit]

Senior Member Three Rings BrewDude's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    17 Q3, 13 allroad, 04 R32 FT450, 06 Beetle, 03 Passat Variant

Do you have VCDS and an old module scan after the recoding was done?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 S5 6MT

If the programming truly reverted to stock, you should be able to plug in the old ones and go. We'll try to fix what you have though. You've got the ROW lights, right? The ones with the amber turn signals?

Do you have VCDS, or know someone who does? Here's what we'll need. You can post this stuff to this thread, or email me directly if you're concerned about privacy. I don't think there's anything sensitive in these files, but that's for you to decide.

-An auto-scan of your car. We'll need that to verify some information about your BCM, as well as to see if there's any error codes that might indicate why the programming reverted.
    -A channel adaption map of your BCM. There's a tool for doing this in VCDS. Let me know if you don't know how to run one. That'll tell us what your lighting channels are currently set to.
    -We may need the pinout for your wiring adapters. I'll try to figure it out with just the adaptation map first.

For anyone else reading along, I'll post exactly what we're changing and why. Hopefully nobody else will have to suffer through this in the future.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff V. View Post
    If the programming truly reverted to stock, you should be able to plug in the old ones and go. We'll try to fix what you have though. You've got the ROW lights, right? The ones with the amber turn signals?

Do you have VCDS, or know someone who does? Here's what we'll need. You can post this stuff to this thread, or email me directly if you're concerned about privacy. I don't think there's anything sensitive in these files, but that's for you to decide.

-An auto-scan of your car. We'll need that to verify some information about your BCM, as well as to see if there's any error codes that might indicate why the programming reverted.
    -A channel adaption map of your BCM. There's a tool for doing this in VCDS. Let me know if you don't know how to run one. That'll tell us what your lighting channels are currently set to.
    -We may need the pinout for your wiring adapters. I'll try to figure it out with just the adaptation map first.

For anyone else reading along, I'll post exactly what we're changing and why. Hopefully nobody else will have to suffer through this in the future.
    Jeff, you are the man. I do have the ROW (e-code) lights with the amber turn signals. I also have VCDS as well and am somewhat versed in the finer points.

I can easily get you the full scan, the adaptation map might be a little trickier as I have never done it before (will research today during work). I can also get you the pinout of the tails if needed when I get home. I bought the Kufatec.de kit which has the wiring harness adapters plus the cross over wires that run from the outside housing across to the inner housing (if that helps at all).

For full visibility, I took a swing at trying to fix it myself based on info I read through on multiple websites so my adaptations will probably look extremely weird.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 S5 6MT

In VCDS, go to Applications > Controller Channel Map.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/c...annels-map.php

For controller address enter 46. The security access code is 41067, I think. I've got a couple more on file if this one doesn't work.

For function, uncheck measuring values, leave adaptations checked. For the output, select CSV file. Then click Go. It'll take a couple minutes to run. Make sure your engine is running, or you have a battery charger hooked up.

Once the file is done, open it up in Excel or Notepad and make sure you have values for channels 191-214. It should look something like this.

Code:
    191,65295,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    192,3,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    193,6,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    194,7,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    195,14856,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    196,14888,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    197,14856,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    198,14888,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    199,0,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    200,0,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    201,0,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    202,0,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    203,8193,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    204,8225,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    205,13,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    206,45,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    207,13,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    208,45,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    209,51202,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    210,51234,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    211,51214,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    212,51215,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    213,12848,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    214,3,N/A,N/A,N/A,N/A,
    You can post just those fields, or the entire file. It's up to you.

If any of those channels says "ERROR:,Channel xxx,Not,Available" then we'll need to try another security code.

AZ Member #

Just so everyone is aware, Jeff V is the man! He was extremely nice enough to help me decipher the issues with my tail light coding and then get the proper mapping and coding figured out all in one evening while working on his own car.

Can't say enough how much I appreciate all the help, Jeff.

P.S. I think there will be a coding tutorial/walk through coming from Jeff soon cause he is that cool.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 S5 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by NaiveTurtle
    P.S. I think there will be a coding tutorial/walk through coming from Jeff soon cause he is that cool.
    Thanks for the kind words. Yep, the plan is to do a tutorial.

In a nutshell, here's what happened with this car.

The car had a low voltage situation, which somehow corrupted the data in the BCM. My own car, also an 08 with the same BCM and the same ROW taillights, has been sitting with the battery disconnected for several weeks while I did some major work on it. I reconnected my battery last night, and my lights were fine. So whatever happened to Turtle's car seems to be a freak occurrence.

Anyway, the BCM had an error code for "data set implausible". Several of the lighting and diagnostic channels were set to 0 when they should have had at least some value in them. Even if it had somehow reverted to stock, those channels should not have been zero.

The first thing we did was put the BCM back into what we hoped was a known good state. We put the stock 08 coding values into all of the lighting control channels.

As of last year, VCDS has an output test function that lets you command each channel on and off. So the next thing we wanted to do was make sure each lighting channel turned on, regardless of whether it was coded right or not. Only 6 of the 14 tests worked. The rest said "output is not supported by module". I know that's wrong, because that was a major part of how I coded my own taillights.

Much like the lighting control channels, several of the diagnostic channels were also incorrectly set to zero. So we put them back to the stock 2008 values as a starting point.

Now Turtle was able to run all 14 tests. Because of this test, we knew specifically which pin on the BCM triggered which LED cluster on the taillight. This gets back to what I said earlier about how your wiring affects how your lights are coded. This is why you can't just copy and paste coding values from one car to another. Him and I both have the same BCM, and the same lights, but different wiring adapters. His are Kufatec and mine are homemade. So our coding is very different.

Now that we had a BCM pin to light output "map", I was able to give him new coding values for each channel. Once those values were loaded, the car was fixed

I've glossed over a lot of the details, but this is the basic process we followed. It was all done via text message and email. None of it was really 'hard'. It just took some time. Turtle was a pleasure to work with, so that helped a lot.

I'll go over the finer points when I do the full write up. I think we learned a few things in fixing his car that'll be a big help when it comes to explaining this to others.