Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

How much louder is an RS7 when you ad downpipes?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I want to do stage 2 with downpipes but i can't have the car obnoxious....as it's our family vehicle and my wifes DD.

How loud is the RS7 with the stock cat back and APR downpipes compared to stock in comfort and dynamic?

Thanks.
    2015 S4...EPL Stage 2
    2015 RS7...stock at the moment
    2009 Nissan GTR....1100whp
    2007 Porsche 911 Turbo...Bolt On's

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Audi A3 2.0T

I have no answer to your question, but have to ask what you DD is if the wife dailies an RS7?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings sciblades's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Just come out to waterfest, there will be plenty of cars with just down pipes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    2016 RS7 Stinger VIP laser and radar, Unitronic Stage1+
    Gone
    2013 C7 S6- v1 and LI- Unitronic tuned]
    B8 S4
    06 a3 Full Votex Kit, Unitronic III, apr tbe, precision 750 FMIC, apr HPFP forge dvi, EVOMS cai, BSH gt3076r turbo kit, IE rods, sb stage IV, LSD, on meth

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by brad281 View Post
    I have no answer to your question, but have to ask what you DD is if the wife dailies an RS7?

S4 when it's raining. Gtr every other day.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Audi A3 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by Rez90 View Post
    S4 when it's raining. Gtr every other day.
    That's a helluva stable.

Active Member Two Rings IowaRS7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    69 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Rez90 View Post
    I want to do stage 2 with downpipes but i can't have the car obnoxious....as it's our family vehicle and my wifes DD.

How loud is the RS7 with the stock cat back and APR downpipes compared to stock in comfort and dynamic?

Thanks.
    Cold start is louder and in "D" there is more growl when you get on the throttle. Normal acceleration or cruising in "D" you don't notice much change at all.

In "S" is where you notice it more. More cackles when releasing throttle or during downshifts and more growl throughout a longer rpm range. All in all I found it to be louder where I wanted it to be, yet still nice and tame where I didn't want it louder.

Established Member Two Rings moonlights4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Infiniti QX60, 2016 Toyota Sienna

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRS7 View Post
    Cold start is louder and in "D" there is more growl when you get on the throttle. Normal acceleration or cruising in "D" you don't notice much change at all.

In "S" is where you notice it more. More cackles when releasing throttle or during downshifts and more growl throughout a longer rpm range. All in all I found it to be louder where I wanted it to be, yet still nice and tame where I didn't want it louder.
    This sums up my experience with APR downpipes and the stock catback on my S6 as well. Love it. It's the perfect amount of loud. Should have come from the factory like it is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 S6 Prestige, Sepang Blue/Lunar Silver, APR Stage 2 ECU/TCU, APR Downpipes
    Past Cars:
    2014 S4 Prem+ DSG, Glacier White/Magma Red
    2013 S4 Prem+ DSG, Moonlight Blue/Black Alcantara
    2010 Q5 Prem+ 3.2 V6 Black/Nougat Brown

AZ Member #

Can you run the APR down pipes and cats without an ECU upgrade whether stage 1 or 2, i.e. on a stock map? The sound is probably what I want but I don't necessarily want the power hike at this time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    69 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by P_G View Post
    Can you run the APR down pipes and cats without an ECU upgrade whether stage 1 or 2, i.e. on a stock map? The sound is probably what I want but I don't necessarily want the power hike at this time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You can, but you will get a CEL, even stage I APR tune with DPs will give a CEL. The CEL doesn't impact performance but for most very annoying. The CEL is due to CAT efficiency since APR moves the CATs farther from the turbos.

There are some other DPs out there like AMS or UNI that might be a consideration, but they may not give the overall sound impact.

Some have run O2 spacers to eliminate the CEL successfully with APR DPs and other tunes like EPL.

I liked the overall design of the APR DPs the most and they come with the free Stage II upgrade from Stage I, so for the RS7 with the stock exhaust, a no brainer.

Active Member Three Rings limeypride's Avatar
    AZ Member #

This is what's preventing me from taking the next step--the car already does all of this. Does anyone have the Akra exhaust and the DPs (RSL, maybe) and can comment on the relative sound increase?
    2017 /RS 7 Performance in Mythos Black metallic, Audi exclusive Titanium edition w/ Akrapovic exhaust, APR stage 1, TSW Bathurst 10.5" rims w/ Michelin Pilot SuperSport 295/25/21s square, carbon-fiber shift-paddle overlays & an S-line leather shifter w/ matching red stitching (to be specific) in order to remove the stock RS7 disco-ball from my cockpit

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    69 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
    This is what's preventing me from taking the next step--the car already does all of this. Does anyone have the Akra exhaust and the DPs (RSL, maybe) and can comment on the relative sound increase?
    I think you would enjoy stage II 😎

I haven't heard the Akra exhaust in person. Are you thinking of going with the AMS DPs and buying the APR stage II software? Wouldn't you have to have a shop mess around with modifications if you went with the APR DPs with the Akra exhaust?

AZ Member #

I think you would enjoy stage II 😎

I haven't heard the Akra exhaust in person. Are you thinking of going with the AMS DPs and buying the APR stage II software? Wouldn't you have to have a shop mess around with modifications if you went with the APR DPs with the Akra exhaust?
    You're probably right!

Wrt/ whose DPs: I've learned that the more you can keep the stock car + aftermarket mods "together", the better off you are. Stated another way: if I can determine the sound(noise) level of the stage II/DPs is within my idea of normal then I'll do whatever I can to get the APR DPs adapted to the Akra... something they assure me they can do. I don't want to deal with some (for now, hypothetical) problem where ownership of the issue bounces back and forth between APR and somebody else's DPs.
    2017 /RS 7 Performance in Mythos Black metallic, Audi exclusive Titanium edition w/ Akrapovic exhaust, APR stage 1, TSW Bathurst 10.5" rims w/ Michelin Pilot SuperSport 295/25/21s square, carbon-fiber shift-paddle overlays & an S-line leather shifter w/ matching red stitching (to be specific) in order to remove the stock RS7 disco-ball from my cockpit

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

You're probably right!

Wrt/ whose DPs: I've learned that the more you can keep the stock car + aftermarket mods "together", the better off you are. Stated another way: if I can determine the sound(noise) level of the stage II/DPs is within my idea of normal then I'll do whatever I can to get the APR DPs adapted to the Akra... something they assure me they can do. I don't want to deal with some (for now, hypothetical) problem where ownership of the issue bounces back and forth between APR and somebody else's DPs.

If you have IG there's a couple of videos on my IG: Serpent_RS7
    -
    Sold: 15 S4, 16 Tornado Gray S6
    Current: 16 Glacier White RS7
    Next: eh I don't know...

DrBeerMD:"In life you can never have too much money, pussy and horsepower."

Active Member Two Rings RSLRS71's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    WK1 and WK2 SRT8 Jeep

How much louder is an RS7 when you ad downpipes?

I love the sound and have even received compliments from people. Not sure how it sounds if you're able to keep the factory resonator up front but...I have the APR DPs attached to my OEM titanium Akrapovik exhaust and removed the front resonators to make it work...

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2017 RSL RS7 (1 of 3 stateside)
    Mods:
    Current: APR Stage II w/ HF DPs and KW H.A.S kit , Rotiform 3 piece SPF 21x10.5 wheels, Tag Motorsports Side marker delete and Badge blackout, ...
    Next: looking to be the quickest RS7! ;)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RSLRS71 View Post
    I love the sound and have even received compliments from people. Not sure how it sounds if you're able to keep the factory resonator up front but...I have the APR DPs attached to my OEM titanium Akrapovik exhaust and removed the front resonators to make it work...

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Thanks. What was the solution you used to mate the DPs to the Akra? Did you need to remove the front resonators or did so for another reason?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent View Post
    If you have IG there's a couple of videos on my IG: Serpent_RS7
    Thanks. I don't have Instagram but I'll sign-up. To confirm: your car has the Akrapovic exhaust, APR DPs & stage II tune?

Active Member Two Rings RSLRS71's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    WK1 and WK2 SRT8 Jeep

Thanks. What was the solution you used to mate the DPs to the Akra? Did you need to remove the front resonators or did so for another reason?
    my particular set up required that i cut the front resonators. Had them make it so i could easily "slip" them back on if I ever needed to revert back to "stock" the car is actually quite quiet still in Comfort mode, but just right when i open it up with Individual
    2017 RSL RS7 (1 of 3 stateside)
    Mods:
    Current: APR Stage II w/ HF DPs and KW H.A.S kit , Rotiform 3 piece SPF 21x10.5 wheels, Tag Motorsports Side marker delete and Badge blackout, ...
    Next: looking to be the quickest RS7! ;)

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks. I don't have Instagram but I'll sign-up. To confirm: your car has the Akrapovic exhaust, APR DPs & stage II tune?
    Negative, i have the sport exhaust(?), APR DPs and Stage II tune.
    -
    Sold: 15 S4, 16 Tornado Gray S6
    Current: 16 Glacier White RS7
    Next: eh I don't know...

DrBeerMD:"In life you can never have too much money, pussy and horsepower."