Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Dreaded P0089 CEL code came back

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Ive been searching around and have already tried some fixes yet no avail.

Owned this car for 1 year. P0089 came up a few months ago but i would be able to drive the car normally if i cleared the light with my scanner sometimes it would stay normally driveable for like 2 weeks.. sometimes months...sometimes days before the light would come back... but I would just clear it and the car runs normal again.

Changed N80 valve with one from oreillys... i think BWD it was. Vehicle no longer stalls out 1-3 seconds after starting. Ok...

But still P0089. Fuel pressure regulator performance

Changing low fuel pressure sensor on the bottom part of hpfp, thrust sensor i think they call it... ordered from ECS. Triple checked its the proper sensor. Swapped. Not fixed.

Now.... the other day I change fuel filter... not fixed. It hesitates or misfires on cylinder 1 when accelerating over 2500-3000rpm. Maf reading normal specs between 7.5-12.0 with foot down.

Now.... I change front o2 sensor .... not fixed. I noticed when I pulled old o2 sensor it was white soot covering it.... running lean?? I have been using fuel injector cleaners... I thought my injectors were clogged before. Also I see mechanics that did timing job used RTV to seal parts of engine near top. Replaced with Bosch LSU 4.2 wideband sensor and it drives better low end and idling is incredibly better.

Still... misfire under load/accel at around 2500-3000rpm.

I have CAN code reader plugged in doing live data while driving. All numbers seem very normal. Only thing that seems off to me is that the fuel pressure on idle bounces all around like 100-20 psi differences in split seconds....

I can try and dump my numbers on here but havent figured that out.

Cleaned my MAF also, no change. Did notice my little screen air filter holder was broken :(

Changed plugs with denso's and gapped to spec. also changed coilovers with Oreillys coilvers. not fixed.

still misfire cylinder 1... drives smooth until accel over 2500-3000rpm or heavy accel. In park, if i hold it steady at 2500rpm i can hear the misfire.

Is P0089 a cam follower problem or the fuel pressure regulator valve is stuck open/closed?
    everywhere I have found multiple responses and no definitive answer. Really hoping someone can help me solve this annoying code.
    Last edited by blakefife; 06-24-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Established Member Two Rings B7S3wannabi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 ZCP Competition M3

I would first check compression on that cylinder and then inspect the camshaft. No use in throwing parts at it until you've tested what you can.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Ok i was unclear in the beginning... the car was driving fine and smooth on all 4 cylinders and has been. only until recently it was on and off. I doubt its compression but ok ill check. how do i inspect the camshaft?? sounds like serious work?

EDIT: drove to taco bell drive thru and nursed it all the way there low rpms no misfire all smooth accel... heavy accel misfire... high rpm above 2500-3000 misfire.
    ordered food and ate in the car in parking lot while idling.... car stalls out by itself after 4-6 minutes.
    start it back up and it starts but misfiring badly and wont stay on.
    put accelerator to floorboard
    start engine a bunch of times
    started now misfiring bad but slowly climbing its way up rpms seems like its gonna stay alive...
    finally gets past 4-5k rpm with foot jammed to the floor and smooths out
    take foot off watch it come back down
    idles kinda rough so im two footing it all the way back home 10 miles. Didnt die on me mid drive and got her back home.

I noticed when i accel heavy or high rpm, it misfires then throws that error you see in the picture "Fuel Sys 1 OL - Fault"
    Then when i ease up and drive like a grandma it goes back to closed loop.... huh???

Also took pictures of coolant temp, and some other things that raise an eyebrow while i was driving.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...XBodU9ibXFJUkE
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...mxLV2xCeUJic28
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...Xh3bUpDR0ZCZlE
    Last edited by blakefife; 06-13-2017 at 07:51 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings IronAudi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

When is the last time you changed the cam follower? Maybe you have too much wear and its causing fuel cuts.
    2008 B7 A4 2.0 T Brilliant Black|20% Tint|18" RS4 Reps LE|Bone Stock Brand new old Engine.

Established Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

id be more inclined to think LPFP not providing the volume required. I had the follower and HPFP pump completely destroyed ( end worn off ) , and it still had zero performance issue and no codes.. HPFP can only deliver what its provided.

If compression shows good and the coils/ plugs aren't failing under load, id be leaning towards insufficient fuel supply or massive vacuum leak causing lean condition .
    2014 Nissan Murano
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

Established Member Two Rings B7S3wannabi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 ZCP Competition M3

Quote Originally Posted by Theiceman View Post
    If compression shows good and the coils/ plugs aren't failing under load, id be leaning towards insufficient fuel supply or massive vacuum leak causing lean condition .
    Agreed.
    Possible HPFP or PCV valve issues.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by IronAudi View Post
    When is the last time you changed the cam follower? Maybe you have too much wear and its causing fuel cuts.

Havent checked it since i bought the car last year at 107k miles. Now has 133k.

I will check cam follower first.

Have not heard any whistling or any suspicious sounding things under my hood.... but i will check pcv too.

Only thing that sounds funny is the idle again. Its kinda lopey sounding like it has a bigger cam installed... odd.

Established Member Four Rings pezgoon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by blakefife View Post
    Havent checked it since i bought the car last year at 107k miles. Now has 133k.

I will check cam follower first.

Have not heard any whistling or any suspicious sounding things under my hood.... but i will check pcv too.

Only thing that sounds funny is the idle again. Its kinda lopey sounding like it has a bigger cam installed... odd.
    I would say that something serious and potentially awful could be going on and suggest finding rides until you start investigating the issue. If you've never pulled the cam follow there *could* be total catastrophic damage in there

I know you said you didn't have issues iceman but I've seen people where the end was worn off that the spring was no longer there and shit and had some things like this happening, idk if yours was like that when you say "the end was worn off" or if you mean the tip was

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Eric

2005.5 6mt A4 2.0(red T ) Silver metallic outside, Platinum inside.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by pezgoon View Post
    I would say that something serious and potentially awful could be going on and suggest finding rides until you start investigating the issue. If you've never pulled the cam follow there *could* be total catastrophic damage in there

I know you said you didn't have issues iceman but I've seen people where the end was worn off that the spring was no longer there and shit and had some things like this happening, idk if yours was like that when you say "the end was worn off" or if you mean the tip was

just the tip , the follower was worn completely through along with the tip of the pump , spring was still intact ... I guess we will wait while OP checks his ..
    2014 Nissan Murano
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

Veteran Member Four Rings canadianA4B7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts
    Items for Sale

If you need a spare injector for cylinder #1, I have a few kicking around, if you've gone through your cam follower and require a cam I have this aswell.

Have u swapped cylinder 1 ignition coil to another cylinder? Let's cover these as an issue first, if cylinder 1 continues check make sure it's getting the other 2 goodies needed to run proper (air, gasoline). If all of the fire triangle things needed are present then you need to sort which is not correct, seems like fuel. If you can log your lpfp duty cycle will help. As I'm having fueling issue myself my lpfp controller had died. Yours may be doing something like this too. check compression to confirm your getting enough air. The cam sensor may have issues too.
    4 turbos (soon 5), 2 motors, 1 B7 A4

Established Member Four Rings Okedokey's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have a HPFP and a full set of injectors if needed.
    A4 B7 2.0T | HPFP upgrade + FMIC | BSR Stage II + exhaust + HFC | RS4 fuel contr., PRV + S3 inj. + DW300c | GFB DV+| 034 RSB + all arms and mounts | S4 brakes | B12 Bilstein suspension + H&R springs | Polk Audio PA D5000.5 - 4 x DB6502 + db840DVC sub + Pioneer 10" sub | LEDs throughout | 19" Audi 2015 RS4 rims

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

P0089 - My money's on the LPFP. You can test the duty cycle with VAGCOM. I had to have mine replaced a couple years ago. Car ran pretty fine, just lots of CEL popping on and off depending on the day.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

got the triple square bits today and took the hpfp off. heres what i found:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...m9iWHhCS0lKTXc

cam follower look worn around the sides and slightly on top but no dents or pieces of metal missing from it...

i will replace cam follower anyways. but now what?

log lpfp? do i need a ross tech cable for to run vcds? what model should i consider if so?
    Last edited by blakefife; 06-18-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

id be more inclined to think LPFP not providing the volume required. I had the follower and HPFP pump completely destroyed ( end worn off ) , and it still had zero performance issue and no codes.. HPFP can only deliver what its provided.

now that ive eliminated the cam follower i think this is my next bet. i have seen p0299 underboost once before and i cleared it and it has since only come back once in 1 year. diverter valve malfunction? shall I pull this and see if its the updated revision part?

i hate fuel pumps

AZ Member #

That HPFP looks worn to me. I suggest you may need a new HPFP.
    A4 B7 2.0T | HPFP upgrade + FMIC | BSR Stage II + exhaust + HFC | RS4 fuel contr., PRV + S3 inj. + DW300c | GFB DV+| 034 RSB + all arms and mounts | S4 brakes | B12 Bilstein suspension + H&R springs | Polk Audio PA D5000.5 - 4 x DB6502 + db840DVC sub + Pioneer 10" sub | LEDs throughout | 19" Audi 2015 RS4 rims

AZ Member #

Follower looks great. I think it's on to the next item on the list. Lpfp or vacuum leak

2014 Nissan Murano
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

Veteran Member Four Rings dalmation53's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B7

I got the same code and went auto zone scanned it it showed the fuel pressure regulator and the photo was the fuel filter. I guess go with mann filter if not oem.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    Ivan

AZ Member #

The plunger on the HPFP looks worn - check out the photo.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dalmation53 View Post
    I got the same code and went auto zone scanned it it showed the fuel pressure regulator and the photo was the fuel filter. I guess go with mann filter if not oem.

Yeah if it's restricting flow. I thought op changed that though

2014 Nissan Murano
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B7

Yeah if it's restricting flow. I thought op changed that though

Yeah but his having misfires that has nothing to do with misfires. Also chinese fuel filters are known to cause cels. That's why i said mann filter. Because is proven to do the job.

Ivan

Veteran Member Four Rings mcpcartier's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 A4 2.0T Q 6MT, S-Line, Ti Pkg, Black, 08 xB, 13 Ex Ltd

what is all the black on the tip of the hpfp....mine's always looked clean, don't recall seeing pics of anyones hpfp with black soot all over it? almost be affraid to pull the valve cover off and see what's going on under there.
    2007 2.0T Q 6MT, S-Line, Ti Package, BB
    Revo Stage 2 | JHM Stage 1 Clutch | K&N Drop in | APR HPFP | 034 HFC | AWE Catback | OEM DV Upgrade | 034 SD Tranny & Motor Mounts | Neuspeed Snub | H&R Sport Springs | Bilsteins | Moog ACA | B5 Perches (removed) | RS4 RSB | ABT Drilled n Slotted Rotors | Podi Stepper Boost Gauge | H&R Spacers 15f/20r | Clear Corners w/Blackout | Smoked Frt Markers | Cupra R Lip | 20% Tint

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Yeah but his having misfires that has nothing to do with misfires. Also chinese fuel filters are known to cause cels. That's why i said mann filter. Because is proven to do the job.

the engine can miss a fire if there is lack of fuel... so misfires do have something to do with this issue.

I want to be perfectly clear here....

My car drove great and ran great whenever I would clear the p0089 code.... very odd i know since clearing codes arent supposed to fix anything... but what does that mean when its misfiring and running like trash... can pick up my scanner hit erase and BOOM the idle smooths out the revs smooth out and the car ROARS like its alive.

until recently... i was doing this for like 8 months driving around with a scanner. then the other week all the sudden the car kept misfiring after i cleared the code on cylinder 1.. went to oreillys and got a new coilover for cyl1, swapped and fixed... no misfire and car drives great.

next 2 days, it rains outside and car barely starts because its misfiring.

wtf?

Also, i did buy a Mann fuel filter.

what makes the hpfp worn? i see dirty gunky oil built up where the rod and spring are....

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B7

the engine can miss a fire if there is lack of fuel... so misfires do have something to do with this issue.

My car drove great and ran great whenever I would clear the p0089 code.... very odd i know since clearing codes arent supposed to fix anything... but what does that mean when its misfiring and running like trash... can pick up my scanner hit erase and BOOM the idle smooths out the revs smooth out and the car ROARS like its alive.

until recently... i was doing this for like 8 months driving around with a scanner. then the other week all the sudden the car kept misfiring after i cleared the code on cylinder 1.. went to oreillys and got a new coilover for cyl1, swapped and fixed... no misfire and car drives great.

wtf?

what makes the hpfp worn? i see dirty gunky oil built up where the rod and spring are....
    Lack of fuel fromvclogged injector yes. Have you checked those by any chance?

Ivan

AZ Member #

Would he misfire if he is running way to lean ?

2014 Nissan Murano
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #

wtf?

If you look at the tip how it is flat and polished, that is not how they come brand new but I disagree and don't think it's worn enough to give you the trouble you are seeing but

The p0089 code is generally related to the hpfp but it does also include the low pressure fuel sensor (if I'm not mistaken)

Regardless if the tip is worn, the hpfp's do fail without being worn, there's an electronic regulator inside it that meters how much fuel goes through it blah blah. So your hpfp could still be bad even though it isn't worn, easiest way is if you can borrow one from someone else and try it or just buy one (it's roughly 450$ for the whole thing because you need to replace the low fuel pressure sensor as well)

The code you have is indicative of the hpfp being bad but yours is not worn but they can still fail regardless. How many miles? Also yours does look real terrible, I've never seen one that looked like that which indicates someone not changing the oil regularly or way too long of intervals and not using the proper oil. That's sludge buildup so I would strongly suggest running seafoam and do a regular regiment with it and do much shorter oil changes. That is pretty bad buildup and can cause other failures that I won't list off but none are good

Run injector cleaner

Would he misfire if he is running way to lean ?

Yes

Eric

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B7

Quote Originally Posted by pezgoon View Post
    If you look at the tip how it is flat and polished, that is not how they come brand new but I disagree and don't think it's worn enough to give you the trouble you are seeing but

The p0089 code is generally related to the hpfp but it does also include the low pressure fuel sensor (if I'm not mistaken)

Regardless if the tip is worn, the hpfp's do fail without being worn, there's an electronic regulator inside it that meters how much fuel goes through it blah blah. So your hpfp could still be bad even though it isn't worn, easiest way is if you can borrow one from someone else and try it or just buy one (it's roughly 450$ for the whole thing because you need to replace the low fuel pressure sensor as well)

The code you have is indicative of the hpfp being bad but yours is not worn but they can still fail regardless. How many miles? Also yours does look real terrible, I've never seen one that looked like that which indicates someone not changing the oil regularly or way too long of intervals and not using the proper oil. That's sludge buildup so I would strongly suggest running seafoam and do a regular regiment with it and do much shorter oil changes. That is pretty bad buildup and can cause other failures that I won't list off but none are good

Run injector cleaner

Yes

That's crap. I rather do it old school. Take injector off and ran new teflon seals an clean the tips haha.

Ivan

AZ Member #

That's crap. I rather do it old school. Take injector off and ran new teflon seals an clean the tips haha.

\_(ツ)_/ if it were easier I would agree

Technically they should be sent out to get cleaned anyways though, if it's got something in the line doing that won't work, a pro shop cleans them better/differently than you at home

Plus if spending five minutes putting something in to clean the injectors actually helps a little bit then clearly they need to be pulled and cleaned

Eric

AZ Member #

The only thing that worries me about seafoam is giving your car a stroke ( a chunk of crap released by the seafoam that travels down stream and plugs an oil gallery ) . I do heartily agree with much shorter oil change intervals ( especially in the short term ) . Good oils have excellent detergent additives and will dissolve the sludge slowly ( like heparin or warfin in the blood stream ) and return the engine to its clean condition , well with exception of the intake valves of course.
    2014 Nissan Murano
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I have not checked injectors yet. But what comes first? Check lpfp first?

Also, I have already changed the low pressure fuel sensor in this hpfp.

I think the guy that owned this car before me didnt change oil regularly or used wrong oil. Im running 0w-40 mobil 1 euro spec. Change every 5,000.

What do I check next?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B7

I have not checked injectors yet. But what comes first? Check lpfp first?

Also, I have already changed the low pressure fuel sensor in this hpfp.

What do I check next?
    What i would do personally i would take off the intake manifold,carbon clean, and take of the injectors and inspect them. I have a feeling your misfires are from a shit load of carbon on the valves.

Ivan

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

But that doesnt explain my O2 lambda sensor being covered in white sut... arent those lean conditions? Im convinced now that the engine is starved for fuel.

Also, I remember when I was driving home from work last week when it was running smoothly no issues... I noticed i had about 1/8th of a tank of gas left.... I made a sharp right hand turn to go down my street and instantly after completed the turn it started misfiring and limping... almost like the fuel swished in the tank and pump sucked something up?

I really think this is odd. but the more I piece this together I think lpfp is suspicious... have no way to test without vagcom tho?

Edit: Just now noticed my hpfp is a Hitachi... i dont think thats stock.
    http://https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B589820e2Qg3UG11Y1ByTEdZU0k

Thoughts?
    Last edited by blakefife; 06-19-2017 at 02:00 PM.

AZ Member #

But that doesnt explain my O2 lambda sensor being covered in white sut... arent those lean conditions? Im convinced now that the engine is starved for fuel.

Also, I remember when I was driving home from work last week when it was running smoothly no issues... I noticed i had about 1/8th of a tank of gas left.... I made a sharp right hand turn to go down my street and instantly after completed the turn it started misfiring and limping... almost like the fuel swished in the tank and pump sucked something up?

I really think this is odd. but the more I piece this together I think lpfp is suspicious... have no way to test without vagcom tho?

Thoughts?
    Your HPFP is worn, check the pictures

Senior Member Three Rings klrider44's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Thoughts?
    Pretty sure the hitachi could have come on the car. There are an OE supplier.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Okedokey View Post
    Your HPFP is worn, check the pictures
    Just curious what makes you think the HPFP is worn from that picture? I can't even see the internals.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by klrider44 View Post
    Just curious what makes you think the HPFP is worn from that picture? I can't even see the internals.

Look at the end of the plunger

AZ Member #

Look at the end of the plunger
    Yea the picture he posted (at least as it shows up for me) doesn't show the plunger. I just see the back of the pump

AZ Member #

There's multiple pics, the plunger is worn imho

AZ Member #

Ah I see it now. I was just looking at the most recent pic in the post.

AZ Member #

What i would do personally i would take off the intake manifold,carbon clean, and take of the injectors and inspect them. I have a feeling your misfires are from a shit load of carbon on the valves.

Then he would have misfire codes only dude, that does explain his p0089 code

Thoughts?
    That would show lean condition on the spark plugs, o2 sensors are designed to get real hot and burn everything off, the only time you see something wrong in them is when there is the opposite (black shit all over them meaning they are not burning) pull your plugs to look for lean condition

Quote Originally Posted by klrider44 View Post
    Pretty sure the hitachi could have come on the car. There are an OE supplier.

Hitachi is oem but you can buy it as well mang. When we replaced my moms the price difference was 30$ more for the hitachi (oem) vs who ever else it was

I disagree, that is not worn enough to cause his code but certainly he could change it based upon that.

I would say his internals could be worn and may have failed, there are people who had like half the stem left only ( like half the spring, plunger etc everything else gone) and they still didn't have this code. That minuscule (normal) amount of wear causing it? B.s.

But I will agree with you that the internals could be worn and have failed

JHM and apr use it as a selling point and tell people when they ask whether having upgraded internals will harm anything, they both say no it will only make the pump last longer and guarantee the internals won't fail. The internals can fail without the res being bad, including the pressure regulator which can only be replaced as a unit

I may have a good working hpfp if your interested op

Eric

AZ Member #

White on o2 is normal.

2014 Nissan Murano
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast