Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Clunk noise when pulling away and turning (help please!)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello all, hope you can help as this is driving me crazy.

I get a clunk (one clunk only) when pulling away for the first time and turning (in either direction and not even a full turn).
    I only get this clunk after the car has been sat for a while (over an hour ish). If I drive off straight without turning there is NO clunk.

Once I have the initial clunk the car makes no more clunks for the duration of driving, until I stop and let the car sit for a while.

Now for the backstory...

I used to have a more frequent clunk about 15 months ago so I fitted a refurbished rack and the clunk went away up until about 4 weeks ago. When the clunk came back 4 weeks ago it was clunking quite regularly and not just on an initial start after sitting for a while like it is now. So again I dropped the subframe and removed the rack and sent it back under warranty for it to be looked at.

The steering rack refurbishment place said that it had a little play in it but no clunks, so they tightened it and sent it back. Refitted and now i'm getting just one initial clunk so its improved but the place are refusing to say that the clunk is the rack.

I have also replaced all the cv joints, lower ball joints, tie rod outers and top mounts and bearing.

Anyone had a similiar issue and got to the bottom of it? Seems strange that I get one clunk when pulling off and turning after the car has been sat for a while.

Thank you :)

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

having same problem intermittently. sorry no help but going to watch your post.
    I'm working on cooling fluid odor in my cab.

Established Member Two Rings PETR0L?'s Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have a 03 2.8L 24v vr6 6speed Jetta. Same exact issue. I have replaced all the usual suspects. Still there. Has been since I bought the car new with 41miles on it in 2004. I'm thinking it's the subframe mounts. Have you looked at those? I know your car has them since I'm looking at replacing them with mk1 TT mounts/bushes.

Established Member Two Rings SimbadCA's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi TT (MK1, 8N) Quattro

My A4 would clunk, only when making a semi hard left turn....tightening everything I could think of. For me it was the battery, right turns the battery would hit a rubber hose, so no clunk.

Sent from my iPad using Audizine

Established Member Two Rings PETR0L?'s Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by tommatt90 View Post
    Hello all, hope you can help as this is driving me crazy.

I get a clunk (one clunk only) when pulling away for the first time and turning (in either direction and not even a full turn).
    I only get this clunk after the car has been sat for a while (over an hour ish). If I drive off straight without turning there is NO clunk.

Once I have the initial clunk the car makes no more clunks for the duration of driving, until I stop and let the car sit for a while.

Now for the backstory...

I used to have a more frequent clunk about 15 months ago so I fitted a refurbished rack and the clunk went away up until about 4 weeks ago. When the clunk came back 4 weeks ago it was clunking quite regularly and not just on an initial start after sitting for a while like it is now. So again I dropped the subframe and removed the rack and sent it back under warranty for it to be looked at.

The steering rack refurbishment place said that it had a little play in it but no clunks, so they tightened it and sent it back. Refitted and now i'm getting just one initial clunk so its improved but the place are refusing to say that the clunk is the rack.

I have also replaced all the cv joints, lower ball joints, tie rod outers and top mounts and bearing.

Anyone had a similiar issue and got to the bottom of it? Seems strange that I get one clunk when pulling off and turning after the car has been sat for a while.

Thank you :)
    Any luck on resolving this issue?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Allroad 2.7t 6mt, 2004 A4 1.8tqa 6mt

My buddy's coupe was doing the same thing. Replaced the control arm bushings, sway bar bushings and links (also did ball joints and tie rods while in there). No more clunks. I'd suspect control arm bushings first.