Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings JLCampbell's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Audi allroad 2.7t, 1997 Mercedes-Benz C230, 1999 Mercedes-Benz CL600

2005 allroad - minor build

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys,

So, there is yet another build thread for my 'new to me' 2005 allroad. I will be picking up the car around the middle of next month from the owner. I'll start out by saying, this is going to be a very minor built. The Previous Owner took very good care if the car for the 98k mile he had it. All maintenace record and included and, from what I've seen, it's entire service history has been at Audi of Seattle; with the exception of suspension, which he had done at a local shop called Tru-Line. I have had all my cars serviced at Tru-Line as well, so that's all good. Good guys there; they will even setup your car for track day use on a Friday, and set it back to Daily use on Monday if desired.

Anyway, here are a few shots of the exterior from when I recently borrowed it for the day:

The only exterior damage I can see is the small scrapes on the front bumper directly below the driver's side headlight, and the Driver's side door blades have some sort of stain on them. I'm not sure what it is, or how to remove it. I'll get a shot of the blades when I can.

I started out wanting to do only 5 modifications to the car:

1) 402 Mod - Need to know what is the lowest people have set this mod to. I want it to sit very low, but not so low as to break the module
    2) Wheels: 20" x 8.5" or 20" x 10" or 20" staggered 8.5" front, 10" rear - not sure what will work best. I want some really deep concave five spoke wheels, and think that 10" wide would be the deepest. But I'm worried about fitment. Also, worried that staggered wheels will be different concave depths, and that ain't gonna fly either.
    3) Full Exhaust - This will be the only 'performance upgrade' to the car that I am currently planing. I over built my daily last time; not doing that again.
    The Passenger side factory downpipe has a hole in it currently (sets off the check engine light); right at the pleating... corrugated... bendy section. PO wanted to have it replaced with factory parts before I bought it. I told him that replacing the parts (at $1300 by the dealer), then me replacing those parts with aftermarket parts would be a waste of time and money. He agreed and reduced the asking price by the cost of the repair. I want the new system to be load but not droney. I'll have to research which is best - any suggestions would be great.
    4) Tint the windows - Dark.
    5) Replace the factory head unit - I'm used to having a back up camera in my cars, and I want to keep that going. Plus, its a good way to get hands free and Bluetooth into the car, since it's the law here, and the State Patrol really like to remind you of that. I know, I'm going to loose things by removing the factory head unit; but I really don't care to see the radio station information in the center of my gauge cluster. sorry (not sorry). There are modules that I can get for aftermarket head units that allow integration into the car that retain things like the steering wheel controls, etc. So that will happen.

But, after driving it around for a day, that 5 item list has blossomed... to, at last count, 23. The above 5, plus:

6) Replace the 12v gauge to a boost gauge - Honestly, I find a voltage gauge a bit... not very useful. Plus, the new head unit has this ability. So, it's not like I will be without it, just relocated to the head unit (and digital display)
    7) Aftermarket Swaybars - cause, that's a shit ton of body roll this car gots
    8) Front Aluminum Skid Plate - cause, low
    9) Dash Cam
    10) ODB II Reader for Torque
    11) LED Interior lighting
    12) Atacama or Micro Suede headliner
    13) Refinish the door blades
    14) RS6 Rear Spoiler/Wing or something aftermarket to get a more pronounced version
    15) Air Horns - Cause people in downtown Seattle don't pay attention to standard horns, but air horns seem to scare the shit out of em
    16) Blackout the chrome trim around the windows
    17) Aspheric side view mirrors - have them on all my other cars and am used to them
    18) Refurbish the headlights
    19) Vinyl Wrap - possibly Vampire Red, I have samples coming to see if I like it
    20) Speakers and Sub?
    21) Possibly looking into new seats - I don't really like the factory allroad seats. Maybe just something a bit more sporty
    22) Reprinting the amber/yellow inserts in the headlight housing in clear - to keep the defraction the lens offers, but to get rid of the color
    23) and finally, I'm going to need something to protect the cargo area from my tools - This is going to be a work truck, so I do not want to destroy the interior

It's a weird list, I know. And there will probably be more; but that's it for now.

First purchase is the VAG-COM tool for sure. I'm really interested and excited about this change from Volvo to Audi.

The PO is including crossbars and a Top box with the car as well. I may keep it or sell it depending on which one it is (I have not seen it yet). I'm really picky about which top box goes with which body style, so if I like this one, I'll wrap it the same as the car.
    Last edited by JLCampbell; 09-30-2017 at 07:37 PM.
    Current Daily: 2005 Audi allroad 2.7t
    Wife's Car: 1997 Mercedes-Benz C230
    GT Car: 1999 Mercedes-Benz CL600

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I forgot to mention: the PO was told that there was a small leak from the Differential when he took into the dealer for a 'pre-sale' inspection. He had them replace the seal immediately prior to selling it to me.

Question - is this a normal thing? Does the Diff need to be monitored?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Owner has asked for another few weeks before I take possession of the allroad. So, I may get it just in time for PNW WagonFest. If not, I will roll there in my V70R one last time.

I think I have decided on a set of wheels for the allroad. Verde V39 PARALLOX 20x10 ET47. I may have to get some spacers to get the offset down and get the wheels flush; 20mm hubcentric to a final of ET27? or maybe 15mm for ET32? Dunno, we'll see when all that parts show up. I may be picking up a set of used 275/30-20 tires to use until I can afford some new ones. Not usually a fan on used tires, but 20" are pricey, yo.

Ordered #17) Aspheric Side Mirrors. Should arrive by next week. Before I take delivery of the car.
    Also ordered the IPP Bars to add to #1) 402 Mod. Still have to order the VAG COM though. I will not install these until I get the VAG COM.

I may be parting out my V70R. If I do, the Head Unit and Backup Camera will make their way into the allroad almost certainly = Pioneer AppRadio-4, nice unit, bluetooth and radio only, no CD. But really, who uses CD still anyway...

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Aspheric mirrors arrived, as did the IPP bars. If only I had a car to install them on... Owner should be back in town by August 3rd, so I could get the car as soon as the 4th.

Ordered a Ross-Tech VAG-COM

I'm thinking of adding an item to the list: 24) Aftermarket Side Mount Intercoolers. It would be pretty far down the list, and kind of against the ground rules I set for this car (no performance upgrades other than exhaust), so we'll see.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

What if the owner backs out? Is all that stuff you bought going straight to classifieds?

On anither note, what is the best way to get your headliner reupholstered?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glennda5id View Post
    What if the owner backs out? Is all that stuff you bought going straight to classifieds?

On anither note, what is the best way to get your headliner reupholstered?

No chance, the deal is already done. He is letting me store the allroad at his house until I can make room for it at mine.

I will reupholster the headliner myself. I'm going to be doing the headliner in my wife's MBZ C230 in a few weeks as well. Hers is drooping and sagging as the foam rots under the headliner; a known issue with the W202 chassis.

I was over by where the car is stored today, so I though I'd swap the side mirrors today. Turns out, the ones I bought are not the same size as the OE mirrors. But, the do fit. Not sure if I want to just use them, ot try to get different ones. Pics to compare:

Passenger side: OE on the right, Aspherical on the left. Also, the aftermarket ones are heated, but not auto dimming.
    Last edited by JLCampbell; 08-17-2017 at 12:13 AM.

Senior Member Four Rings Bordom's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You bought the A6/S6/RS6 mirrors, not the Allroad mirrors. I've bought the Aspherical ones and you can see so much more of the road.

Don't worry about autodimming, barely even works most of the time

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
    S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

IG: 24_et

MODS: Revo Stg 1, 034 Billet Subframe Bushings, SSAC V2 Downpipes, Custom True Dual Exhaust, Forge 007 DVs,

AZ Member #
    My Garage

ALLRIGHT! I now have the car! Here are some pics of how it was delivered to my buddy's place:

I drove my Volvo to his place to part it out, and the PO then drove the allroad there so I could have something to drive home( I took him back to his place as well).

Much happy with it so far. Although I'm not a fan of this model top box or crossbars, I'm glad to have them for now.
    Last edited by JLCampbell; 09-30-2017 at 07:38 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bordom View Post
    You bought the A6/S6/RS6 mirrors, not the Allroad mirrors. I've bought the Aspherical ones and you can see so much more of the road.

Don't worry about autodimming, barely even works most of the time

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
    AH, after I read this, I went back and read the ad. You're correct. It didn't mention the allroad anywhere. I just assumed. Oh well, lesson learned.

So... anyone want to buy a set of Aspheric Side view Mirrors for a A6/S6/RS6?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Annnddd, flat tire this morning. Not a cool way to start a new relationship allroad, not cool.
    ]
    Last edited by JLCampbell; 09-30-2017 at 07:38 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I went to start the 402 process today. I wanted to start from a clean slate, so I went around the car measuring the height at each wheel. I found something odd; all four corners were out of ...calibration? The Driver's Front was at 16" to center, the Pass Front side was at 16.25". The Driver's rear was at 16.25" and Pass rear was at 17". I'm guessing this is a normal thing, since there is an entire process that we exploit to lower it. So, i'm not going to read to much into it.

I raised and lowered the car a few times, then drove it around, then measured again. Same results. So, I ran though the 402 process a few times adjusting each corner by a few mm to get them to the 15.8" (402mm) that they all should all be at. I also drove it around the block a few times after each adjustment. Now all four corners are sitting where they should on Level 2 (roughly 15.825"/402mm). I will leave it there for a few days and check it again this weekend. If all has held, I'll 402 the shit out of it.

Side note: Took the tire down to a local shop to have the screw removed and patch the hole. The guy didn't even charge me for the repair, saying that he wants me to buy my next set of tires from him. Cheeky...

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Today I tore into the tailgate for a few reasons. First, there have been a couple instances were I returned to the car and opened the tailgate without unlocking the car, which opened but also set off the alarm. I though, after the first time, that I had forgotten to lock the car when I left. Then I realized, if that was true, the alarm would have not gone off. The second time it happened, I know for sure that I had locked the car. That made me realize something is wrong with the locking mechanism. Second, there are a lot of squeaks and rattles coming from the tailgate when driving. And Thirdly, I wanted to start installing the rear view camera.
    I was a bit surprised to find that I was not the first one to do so (which explains the rattles). There is a lot of cracked panels and busted plastic welds. Whoever was in there last did a bad job of removing the panels.

Once I got to the latch mechanism, I found the issue:

Looks like the lock actuation arm had broken off. So, my tailgate is unsecured... in a garage where my previous car has been broken into... twice in six months. Gravy...
    I can still actuate the lock with the key for now, but this is an issue since I keep a lot of tools and parts in my car for work. I just bought one of eBay, hope it gets here soon.

I proceeded with the camera install only to find that the upper trim has also been broken:

It took a bit of time to feed the power, ground and video cables though the factory boot, but it's done:

I made a small hole in the plastic trim under the license plate to run these wires to the plate frame mounted camera, then ran them out under the gasket for the drivers side fog light, and reassembled the exterior parts. I will leave the interior trim off until I get the replacement latch. I think I'll replace the fog lights while I have access to them. I really do not want to take this panel off again in the future. I'll see what I can do for the cracked and broken panel by refusing them. But , since I don't have a sonic welder, heat welds will have to do. I wonder if the plastic weld studs are available as replacement parts? I noticed that they are detachable on the non-welded side, so maybe...

I also took note that the location where the jack, tool kit and factory CD Changer are mounted into is a lot of space. A space big enough for a 10" sub and box to fit. Ideas are forming...

I also took a look under the headliner to start planning the re-upholstery to Micro Suede. Took note of the underlying foam and the lack of sound deadening material between the roof and the headliner. Add that to the list...

Then I turned my attention to the suspension. The previous height adjustments seem to be holding, so I started the process to lower it. I decided to start at 1 1/2" drop, or roughly 38mm, entering 440 into all fields. The new measured Levels are as follows:
    Level 1: 331mm
    Level 2: 357mm
    Level 3: 382mm
    Level 4: 397mm

Actual measurements seem to show a lower outcome than I intended. I assumed Level 2 would be 364mm, not the actual measured 357, roughly 7mm more that intended. Hmm, interesting.

All Measurements are from center of the hub to lower edge of the fender flare. Note: With this setup, the new Level 4 position is approximately 5mm lower than stock Level 2 (402mm).
    I'm going to drive it around for a week and see how I like it. Looks wise, it looks much better, IMO. I'll take some shots of it tomorrow at my buddy house, since pic taken in my parking garage look like ass.
    Last edited by JLCampbell; 09-30-2017 at 07:40 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Level 1 pics:

Last edited by JLCampbell; 09-30-2017 at 07:41 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

More work today!

I ordered and installed most of the LED Interior lights sent from deAutoLED. Most of the LED replacement lights went in perfectly. And, are so much brighter than the OE lights. Coverage of light from the LEDs are very nice as well. All the lights come in labeled bags, which helps identify where the go in the car. There were even a few extras of one of every type light (accept the puddle lights) incase I screwed up installing them.
    Only two issues with the install: 1) the reverse lights they provided are not the correct type, blade vs socket. I contacted deAutoLED to see what can be done. 2) The Passengers footwell light is not the same as the bayonet style as the other three footwell lights. It is the same as the puddle lights on the doors though. Also sent a note to deAutoLED to see if this is an anomaly with my car, or a mix-up with the lights supplied.

Then I turned my attention to the radio. Pulled the stock radio out and started preparing for the Pioneer AppRadio 4 out of my old Volvo. The new radio had no disc player, but relies on media from external sources, like my phone via Bluetooth, 2 USB ports, an HDMI input and an analog input. It does have an AM/FM radio built in, but really, who still uses that... It has a separate input for a reverse camera as well. I started installing the camera on the weekend (previous post), and still need to run the video line ( grabbed power and ground from the power socket in the cargo area).
    I pulled the center console, A/C Controls and front ashtry to get access to a wire path to run to the center console.

I still need the video feed for the reverse cam. And, the wiring kit I bought is not the correct one. I need to bring the car to the shop I bough it from so they can identify the correct one tomorrow morning. The dash kit however is the proper one and I have installed the AppRadio 4 into it in preparation for install (you can see part of it in the passenger footwell in the above pic).

Side Note: All the lighting in these pics are from the new LEDs from deAutoLED. As an example of the color and even coverage.
    Last edited by JLCampbell; 09-30-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings hoganalley's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I was thinking of installing the same radio in mine. Can you fix your pics? I'd like to see the interior lights too!

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Audizine mobile app
    05 allroad 2.7T Stock

99.5 A4 1.8T K04 - Sold

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hoganalley View Post
    I was thinking of installing the same radio in mine. Can you fix your pics? I'd like to see the interior lights too!

Balls... I thought I fixed the pics. No one said anything, and I can see them, so I figured they were working. Thanks.

I think I fixed them, can anyone verify?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I took the car to my guy only to find he didn't have the correct wiring harness for the allroad with Symphony II Unit that retains the steering wheel controls in stock. So, I returned the unopened Scosche one and ordered an SRWH-AUD1 and SWCL for enfig car stereo. It should get here in a few days, so no radio for a bit. The dash kit and antenna adapter are usable, so they will stay. This gives me time to run the video feed for the rear view cam and decide if I need to run any other lines while I have the dash apart. I may run some RCAs for front and rear as well as subs while I have it open, as well as an amp turn on lead, for future install possibilities.
    Last edited by JLCampbell; 08-16-2017 at 12:31 AM.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JLCampbell View Post
    Balls... I thought I fixed the pics. No one said anything, and I can see them, so I figured they were working. Thanks.

I think I fixed them, can anyone verify?
    sorry man, still can't see them!
    05 allroad 2.7T Stock

99.5 A4 1.8T K04 - Sold

AZ Member #
    My Garage

So, I'm still waiting for the wiring harness from enfing to arrive (not their fault, mine; I ordered the wrong one), I noticed that the shift gate was all scratched up. I decided that, while everything was all torn out, I'd cover the shift gate with some brushed stainless steel vinyl I had laying around. It came out quite nice actually.

I know the pics are not working. I have fixed a few, I'll fix the rest later. -UPDATE: Fixed
    Last edited by JLCampbell; 09-30-2017 at 07:43 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Radio's in. It took awhile to get the damn thing all stuffed into the dash; a lot of wires back there...

Here's what when in:
    Pioneer AppRadio 4 (SPH-DA120) using the Scosche Double DIN Dash Kit (AU2391B), Powered Antenna adapter (AU2391B); Enfing Wiring Harness (SRWH-AUD1) and Steering Wheel Control (SWCL); A set of Front, Rear and Sub RCA cables, as well as Amp turn on lead; Back Up Camera cable, GPS Antenna, MIC input for Hands Free, 2xUSB cables, HDMI Cable and 3.5mm Stereo AUX In cable. In short: Shit ton of cables.

I had to manipulate the cables and harness to fit it all in behind the deck. I shoved the antenna adapter off to the driver's side, and most of the harness under the radio itself. I had to remove the AC Control to maneuver the cables while guiding the radio in. Once I got it most of the way in (and looking like it will fit), I put the AC Control back in place, as it has to be mounted prior to the radio trim plate, while manipulating the harness and the big grey box that is attached to it. It took about a 1/2 hour just to get it all in place.

I'm not exactly thrilled with the trim fit. Perhaps the Enfig trim looks better than the Scosche... If it bugs me enough, I might change it out in the future.

Also I realizes that wrapping the shift gate in brushed stainless steel vinyl, although it looks good, makes it not match the wood grain on the kit. So, I'm looking for what to do for that.

I'm thinking of wrapping the upper wood trim (doors and above glove box) with some left over Hexis Frozen Grey vinyl from my old car, and wrapping the center stack (trim above radio, ash tray, shifter cover, and the rest) in a supper high gloss black vinyl to imitate a piano finish black. Material is on order. I think the wood looks ok, but with the interior all being shades of grey, the browns of the wood just really so not go. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by JLCampbell; 09-30-2017 at 07:44 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I also purchased a used set of Whispbar S45 cross bars off eBay. Got a smokin deal. They arrived yesterday and I test fit them last night. I'll took pics, but the look horrible; I'll take better ones tomorrow at my buddy's place.

I was not a fan of the Thule cross bars that came with the car. The fit was not as finished as I'd like to see. So, they will be up for sale on CL or ebay soon. The top box will probably be up for sale as well,as I'm looking for a longer, wider box than the Inno box that came with the car as well.
    Last edited by JLCampbell; 09-02-2017 at 10:14 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I... decided to change my... direction with this ride. For Winter, I've decided to go All-Terrain with the allroad. Every car I have ever owned has been a low rider. Every car has been dropped with big wheels and small tires. I didn't realize that I had purchased such a versatile car when I picked up this ride. I think, for the winter, going for an all-terrain, raised car with be something different, something fun and ready for some snow trips. So:

I have a set of BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A K02 on order at my local tire shop (they did not have them in stock). They are 225/65r17 to fit on the stock wheels. I plan to use the VAG-COM to adjust the speedo as best as possible to correct the almost 10% variation due to the larger tires. The tires arrive on Wednesday, and we will be doing a test fit on the front and rear to ensure they will not rub. I'm only really concerned about turning the wheel in the front and inside rubbing in the back. If it works out, they will be installed. If not, no big deal, we'll just find a size that works before winter gets here.
    In preparation, I have reset the suspension to factory default as of today. All for corners of the car once again read 402mm at Level 2. I will be installing the IPP arms that I purchased a few weeks ago as well to get a bit more height when at Level 3 and 4 when in snow.

I think this is going to be an awesome setup, much different that anything I have ever owned; and I have the ability to go the reverse and lower the car onto 20" wheels for the "Not Winter" seasons.

As a recap/change of build, here is a catch up list:
    1) 402 Mod - System lowered for a few weeks, then returned to stock for preparation for 'Winter Mode'
    2) Wheels: 20" x 10"... - On hold until after the new year. Going with Stock 17x8 wheels for 'Winter Mode'
    3) Full Exhaust - Still in the works. Trying to figure out which is the best Turbo Back System, or Down Pipes with Cat Back setup out there. I only want to do this once.
    4) Tint the windows - Dark. Got quotes, will happen soon
    5) Replace the factory head unit - Done - Pioneer AppRadio 4 with handsfree mic mounted to the left of the above console
    6) Replace the 12v gauge to a boost gauge - Hard to find a 37mm turbo guage, still looking
    7) Aftermarket Swaybars - cause, that's a shit ton of body roll this car gots - Yup, and it might get worse in 'Winter Mode' and the big arse tires.
    8) Front Aluminum Skid Plate - cause, low More like, just cause. Would look great in wither mode
    9) Dash Cam - Haven't found one I like yet
    10) ODB II Reader for Torque App- DONE I was able to reuse the one from my old car. ScanTool.net Bluetooth version.
    11) LED Interior lighting - DONE. Thanks deAutoLED.
    12) Atacama or Micro Suede headliner - Material Ordered
    13) Refinish the door blades - Not a Priority
    14) RS6 Rear Spoiler/Wing or something aftermarket to get a more pronounced version - Still Looking
    15) Air Horns - Not Yet
    16) Blackout the chrome trim around the windows - Waiting for my buddy to cut and polish the paint when he details the car (when he gets a free weekend). I'm afraid and buffing machine he would use will damage the vinyl
    17) Aspheric side view mirrors - Bought the wrong ones, looking for the right ones
    18) Refurbish the headlights - Buff kit purchased, going to let my detailing buddy do it
    19) Vinyl Wrap - Absolutely Vampire Red, the sample looked awesome, but might wait until spring
    20) Speakers and Sub? - The stock speakers actually sound great. Hard to say since I put myself though college installing big dollar car stereo systems. But, it does need s sub...
    21) Possibly looking into new seats - Still not sure about this one. Probably the last thing on this list I'll do.
    22) Reprinting the amber/yellow inserts in the headlight housing in clear - Maybe, or aftermarket headlight assemblys
    23) protect the cargo area from my tools - DONE. Came with the car. PO had a WeatherTech cargo mat installed. Didn't notice until I started loading up my gear.

I think we can add a few to the list here:
    24) Sound Deadening Material - Since I will have the headliner out, I will be adding some HushMat to the underside of the roof. I will help with a few things: a) Heat soaking in from the dark colored roof b) road/wind noise from the large roof panel, and c) keep the roof from vibrating when a Sub is installed (a big panel like that, you can bounce quarters off with all the vibrating from low frequencies). I'm also going to do the tailgate while I have the panels off.
    25) Intake upgrades - I've been looking at tubing and side intercooler upgrades lately. Guess I didn't learn that lesson of: "don't F**K wit the daily" after all.

4 out of 23... not to bad... you know, for only having the car for a month or two

Time to get a top cargo basket to go on those WhispBars... Maybe a lightbar as well.
    Last edited by JLCampbell; 09-12-2017 at 12:43 AM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Tire test fit went great. At Level 2, the front tire comes within a 1/2' of the liner. They will be installed on Tuesday next week. Definitely going to need spacers to get these tires out to flush (or maybe a bit beyond) the flares.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

And... BFGoodrich TA K02 tires installed. Size: 225/65r17
    Now I need to use the VAG-Com to adjust the speedo for the 10% oversize. No rubbing yet, at lease at Level 2. i have a feeling Level 1 is off limits for the duration of Winter Mode

Need to get some spacers to get them farther out. Ordered a set of 25mm for thr from and 30mm for the rear. This should bring the tires flush with the flares.
    Last edited by JLCampbell; 09-30-2017 at 07:44 PM.

AZ Member #

JL, the pics don't work again!

05 allroad 2.7T Stock

99.5 A4 1.8T K04 - Sold

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Installed a set of 25mm spacers on the fronts and 30mm on the back this weekend, as well as the IPP bars I purchased awhile ago. the staggered spacers are because when I measured the front and rear tires, I noticed that the rears sat approx 1/8" inboard of the fronts. Not sure if that is normal offset track or body panel alignment issues, or something else. But, it works, the spacers really brought the tires out of the wells for sure. The sidewall is even with the edge of the flare both front and rear. I'm not sure if I like the idea if going with higher spacers to get the treads flush with the flares; plus, I think it would rub for sure and a lot if i tried. So, these work great.
    The spacers are from the company BLOX. They are found on eBay for about 2/3 the price of others. I was skeptic at first, but they seem high quality and solidly built. They come with lugs and steel inserts, so no torquing into aluminum.

Took it for a freeway drive today to see if all is OK. There are some... issues. At Level 3, all is wonderful. But, at Level 2, if there are any large bumps in the road (like uneven transitions between an overpass and the road, etc.) there is a bit of tire rub in the rear. It's a momentary rub so I'm not going to sweat it, just try to avoid it. And obviously, Level 1 is out of the question. I lowered it to 1 while stationary, just to see if it could. It went there without anything touching, but I wouldn't drive it like that. So I best not go 80 while in winter mode lol

Overall: I like the fit; I like the ride; I like the look; I like the juxtaposition of all terrain tires on a car chassis. All in all, I would recommend the BFG TA KO2 tires in size: 225/65-17 with 25 and 30mm spacers on stock wheels, if you are going for that look.

Still need to source a cargo basket and lightbar though...

Here's some before and after spacers of the pass side rear: It's quite dark in my parking garage, so the pics are shit (not that you guys can see them anyway lol):

After 30mm spacers:
    Last edited by JLCampbell; 09-30-2017 at 07:45 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

And with the previous post, I think I found a theme for this car: juxtaposition. I like the idea of bringing together two things that you really do not see every day.
    For Winter, a car chassis with tires and accessories usually found on small trucks.
    For Summer, a car that usually rides high and is used for off road being lowered and sitting on large wheels with tiny tires that ensure you should not leave the road.
    And as a bigger picture:
    As a Car: A car that is capable of opposing Winter and Summer modes, on the same chassis, with just a change of a few settings and accessories.

Brilliant.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Today is catching up with the week:

I installed a sport emblem I got from cutbycashy. It adds a bit of color to the rear view

Also traded the top box that came with the car (inno Rough Trunk 220) for a Cargo Basket yesterday.

So, Big Tires - Check, Lifted Suspension - Check, Rooftop Cargo Basket - Check. It's starting to look like all the other lifted allroads

AZ Member #

Thanks for fixing the pics! Looking good so far!

05 allroad 2.7T Stock

99.5 A4 1.8T K04 - Sold

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Took some time away from the allroad to do some work on my wife's car. The stock vinyl headliner was drooping and falling away from the fiberglass backing, so I ordered some beige micro-suede fabric and proceeded to tear the interior apart. All went smoothly and she now has a nice looking headliner that I have forbade her to touch (cause it gets dirty really easy). I had enough scraps left over to do the A pillar covers as well; but not the B or C pillars. I'm going to order a bit more to cover these as the A pillar looks great, but the others now look like cheap felt.

I also decided to forgo a few items of the Mods list, like:
    #19) Vinyl Wrap - Vampire Red. The paint is in great condition, and I only really wanted to wrap it because I was tired of having silver cars. No need to just throw money at the looks, I'm sure I'll need it for the mechanics eventually (seriously there are a lot of posts here about reliability issues)
    #21) Possibly looking into new seats - I've grown to like the stock seats. Wife does too. And from experience, don't change something the wife goes out of her way to point out that she likes... Side note: She also freaked out when she saw the red foot well lights. Now i need to see if I can do it in her car... a car that doesn't even have foot well lights... guess that's going to be a " I can, but it will be expensive" answer.

Also, revisiting #5) Replace the factory head unit - I'm selling my AppRadio4 to a buddy that wants it. Specifically, he wants the iPhone compatibility (Apple Car Play) that the AppRadio4 had (it's been discontinued). So, I will be ordering a new Pioneer MVH-2300NEX to shoehorn into the dash. And, since I use an Android based phone, I can finally enjoy the Android Auto integration that the AppRadio4 did not really have.

After driving the car around the Seattle area after the first real rain day that we have had since I bought the car, I noticed that approximately 40% of the water I traveled over was thrown up unto the sides of the car. OK, maybe it was 30%, but damn these tires can throw water. I stopped by the Audi dealer in University Village to order a replacement light holder for the passenger door puddle light (it fell out and got smashed when the door was slammed on it). While there, I informed them that the car no longer belongs to the previous owner, who took it there exclusively, but to me; and asked if they could look up the part number for the factory mud flaps for an allroad. They said, even better, they can order them. I said, alright, but for how much? They said $200 for the set. I thought for about 2 seconds and said "Done, order them bitches". Should be here in a few days, they said. Hope they solve the 'Crap ton of water thrown on the side of the car' problem.

Veteran Member Four Rings 02 A6 2.7T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Too much crap

Quote Originally Posted by JLCampbell View Post
    ... asked if they could look up the part number for the factory mud flaps for an allroad. They said, even better, they can order them. I said, alright, but for how much? They said $200 for the set. I thought for about 2 seconds and said "Done, order them bitches". Should be here in a few days, they said. Hope they solve the 'Crap ton of water thrown on the side of the car' problem.
    Crap ! Was that front & rear, or just fronts ?
    I have 2 BNIB sets of allroad fronts only, I will sell for $50 a pair ...
    2002 A6 2.7T - 6MT Crystal Blue APR Stage 1
    2002 S6 - 6 MT Black/black
    **SOLD ** 2002 allroad 2.7T 6MT

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 02 A6 2.7T View Post
    Crap ! Was that front & rear, or just fronts ?
    I have 2 BNIB sets of allroad fronts only, I will sell for $50 a pair ...
    It's for a full set of front and rears. They called to re-verify my VIN, ans said it may take a bit longer. So, maybe I'll hit you up for those fronts if they don't deliver.

Showed the car to a good friend for the first time this week. he wanted to see it at all levels. Here's a few shots at level 1:

I have not driving it at Level 1. This just looks like asking for trouble.

Also, Gonna need those mud flaps soon...
    Last edited by JLCampbell; 10-29-2017 at 09:57 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Forgot to add a few "at Level 3" shots I took later

And the interior updates: Wrapped the upper wood trim and vent surrounds in Hexus Frozen Grey and the lower wood in Hyper Gloss black

Veteran Member Three Rings SteelyS6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Atlas Allroad 6MT, 2003 Atlas S6 Avant

Looks awesome JLCambell! Like what you did with the wood trim as well.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Been dissembling my old Volvo V70R to sell for parts, so not a lot going on with the allroad. But, this did happen today:

I have only owned it for about 7k of that, but it still feels new.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

NEW DECK!

Nothing wrong with the old one actually. Accept that it was designed to work with Apple Car Play not Android Auto. My buddy bought a new (to him) Saab 9-5 Aero and wanted a Nav capable deck. So, I mentioned that my old deck, a Pioneer AppRadio 4 (SPH-DA120) is built for Apple car Play use, and since he is an Apple Fanboy, it would work better for him than for me. We connected his phone to the deck while it was still installed in the allroad, and he liked it a lot.
    So, off it goes to the new owner. And I get a new Pioneer MVH-2300NEX! Again, I chose a media-less deck since I will not be carrying around any CDs or DVDs. The new deck actually is the exact same size, chassis wise, as the SPH-DA120; but it has different connections that allow for a lit less wiring mess behind the deck, which makes the deck sit in the dash just a bit better.

Had to run a new rear view camera line as well. I did not like the way the old licence plate frame mounted camera fit on the allroad. So, I also picked up a 'hidden mount' camera that fits just above the licence plate and between the two rear hatch releases. I'll get a pic of that when there is good light.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

looking good so far...picked up a few things I needed to do to mine! thanks for the detailed info....keep it coming! ps what was the outcome with the leds after notifying deautoled?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Finally had the allroad detailed today. Took a few hours, but my detail guy did a phenomenal job. You can't really tell from the pics, but she is baby butt smooth now.

Car was at Level 1 so he could get to the roof easier. For the roof, he just cut and cleaned it. No wax as I am either going to clear PlastiDip or Matte Clear Vinyl wrap it. I like the factory color, but I want to get a layer of protection on it that can take a hit from a dropped item placed in the the cargo rack.

Also had him use the 3M Headlight restore kit on the headlights. He was a bit nervous being his first go at it. I think he did pretty good job; although it need to be done again. There are a lot of swirl marks still along the bottom.

I only got a before of the Drivers and a during of the passengers. It got to dark to get afters ( do that tomorrow). But, as soon as the lights were turned on, you can see swirl marks. More polishing is needed to get them out, but he ran out of materials. He's going to pick up another kit and have another go at it in daylight.

In trade, I spent the day installing all new speakers and my old AppRadio4 in his Sabb 9-3 Aero.