Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

My 3.2 frustrations

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Okay guys I know there are threads on the 3.2 and everything else (trust me iv read and posted in them) but issue has continued to evade me and my minor knowledge of engines. So here we go
    A few months back I was getting on the freeway in sport mode and my car lost powe, shuddered and then flashed a CEL that went away as quickly as it appeared. I pulled over took a gander and everything seemed okay so I started her up and away I went. A week or so later I was passing a vehicle on a two lane road when this happened again (which was effing sketchy) and so at this point I took it home and throw it on the scanner it read I think p0306 or a cylinder 6 misfire. I pulled coil pack which were drenched in oil so naturally I cleaned it up bought all new coils and plugs and replaced my valve cover gasket, as I did I was pretty sure it was leaking from the gasket below I think it's the upper cam seal. Anyway put her back together fired her up and everything seemed great. Let here warm up took her for a spin and soon as I was In sport mode ad passed about 3,500 rpms boom, My car shudders loses power and CEL flashes. So I take it home do some research and decide to do a carbon cleaning on intake valves. So I pulled it apart cleaned out all the nasty carbon (there was a lot and it sucked) cleaned the lower intake runners and replaced all the gaskets then put it all back together and torqued it to spec. At this point I was pretty excited especially since I was able to do some aesthetic mods while in the process so I started her up and she ran titties.... drove her around all night had it in sport and everything seemed chipper so I detailed her and parked her in the garage. So the next morning when I head out I warm her up take off and about 3 min down the road experience the same repetitive symptoms with the power loss and CEL flash. I did some more research and spoke with a few shops and they recommend I clean MAF sensor (doesn't exist in 3.2) so I went ahead and replaced my MAP sensor and I really thought that was going to be it. Car ran great for 2 days drove probably 4 hrs or more in those 2 days then when I was an hr away from him it did the same thing again only this time I can notice the car missing at idol. Before the car would run perfectly smooth until higher rpms but now it's shaking pretty wicked just at idol. So i haven't drove it it has been parked and I'm at the end of my rope here. I hooked her up to OBD11 one last time and she spit out a p2075 as well as some ecm or ecu intermittent code.... if anyone has some advice it would be greatly appreciated lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Audizine mobile app

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

What's the status on this so far?

I tend to start with the small stuff and work my way up the possibility tree if the issue doesn't get resolved. I'm brainstorming here and based on the detailed info here, and I have 1 idea to share (since you've already put a lot of work into it to rule out many other theories):

P2075 seems to have to do with the variable intake manifold flap system. I wonder if either the flap is gunked up with carbon and can't move at times (usually once warmed up as is sometimes the case with carbon buildup crap), so when the ECU expect this flap to be in a certain position (this valve opens and closes based on RPM, engine load, and throttle position to provide a smooth powerband) and it isn't where it's supposed to be. This in turn triggers the ECU to throw P2075 (this COULD momentarily cause the engine to buck around as the ECU switches from closed-loop to a safer open-loop map while this code is active).

This could be caused by carbon on the flap OR a malfunctioning component of the flap actuation (I can't find a diagram on this part of the motor, but I want to say that this flap is controlled via a vacuum solenoid valve... please someone correct me if I'm wrong). So maybe checking on the condition of the vacuum lines leading to this valve would be worthwhile. I know as our cars get up there in mileage (mine at 122k now), the vac lines get brittle and leak. These leaks are sometimes minor enough to not set off the CEL, but enough for some components to act erratically.

Good luck dude please keep us updated on this!
    07 A6 3.2- Morimoto 5500k & Nokya 2500k / deAutoLED Reverse & LP / Stoptech X-Drilled & Sport Pads / ST X-Coilovers, 10" lo-pro Pioneer

"What is best in life? -Kill your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women" Conan the Barbarian

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 S4, Orange B5 Avant

Status is alot of pronafity texts and what not. He needs injector/injectors and other 3.2 stuff. Ill text him now so he updates this thread
    2011 S4 6mt Black/ Magma/ Carbon
    Rotiform | BBS | AWE | P3 | Roc Euro | PLM | Eurocode Sways | Apr stage 2 | H&R sport | Q5 ECS wave kit matching rears | CR15 |
    Eurocode AK | Eurocode inserts | 034 subframe inserts | Ecodes

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by tar View Post
    Status is alot of pronafity texts and what not. He needs injector/injectors and other 3.2 stuff. Ill text him now so he updates this thread
    WOW! You know this is the first time I run into someone that actually had to change their injectors on this motor (I'm sure it happens from time to time, I just hadn't come across it til now), so it didn't even occur to me. Certainly looking forward to hearing how that was diagnosed! Thanks!
    07 A6 3.2- Morimoto 5500k & Nokya 2500k / deAutoLED Reverse & LP / Stoptech X-Drilled & Sport Pads / ST X-Coilovers, 10" lo-pro Pioneer

"What is best in life? -Kill your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women" Conan the Barbarian

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Did you resolve the issue? I had a very similar situation. It ended up being the intake manifold. The left bank was not operating correctly and once it was replaced, the car ran great.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 S4, Orange B5 Avant

He said its fixed and running few days ago. Seems to be a mission to get him to post here with updates.
    2011 S4 6mt Black/ Magma/ Carbon
    Rotiform | BBS | AWE | P3 | Roc Euro | PLM | Eurocode Sways | Apr stage 2 | H&R sport | Q5 ECS wave kit matching rears | CR15 |
    Eurocode AK | Eurocode inserts | 034 subframe inserts | Ecodes

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Hey guys terribly sorry about the lack of response I started a new job and also cracked my old phone and it took me a couple weeks to get around to downloading the app on my new one but anyways lets get too it, I ended up buying vag com through Rosstech and it actually spit out a bad injector reading which I kinda was learning towards since I'd tried everything else. So I changed all 6 injectors and also replaced my lower intake runners and cleaned my throttle body put her back together and voilą she puts like a kitten

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Purrs*

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Great to hear dude! Thanks for the update in this!

AZ Member #

When you hooked up vagcom, what codes were you getting? I got P1137 on mine and believe it's the fuel injectors. Looking at getting those replaced soon.