Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings Solarsuplex's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Engine surging and won't idle above 900rpm after K03 and down pipe install.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys, my turbo had gone out and was making constant dentist noises so i picked a used turbo up from a member that is doing a swap. The new to me turbo was in running condition and boosting hard before they started the transition.

Yesterday i got the new turbo in and installed a new HFC and downpipes combo on my 08 2.0t quattro. I used all new crush washers on any banjos that got un done and put my newer rev D valve on the donor turbo. Got everything installed, primed the turbo for 3 min by disconnecting my fuel pump fuse and coil packs and cranking for 10 sec on, 10 sec of for a good 20 times. Started it up and it ran smooth with a bit of smoke from the turbo for a good 30 seconds. Every car I've done major motor work on smokes a bit when it is fresh. Condensation, random oil and grime, new gaskets, etc. Then the idle got real rough and started surging. It sounded like when you have a coil pack going out. Pulled all the coil packs and they look amazing. Pulled the plugs and they looked less amazing so i ran and got some new ones.

Tossed the new plugs in and still surging. IM just at a total loss for what is happening. Video will be up shortly of the condition. Even after letting it sit like this for 5+ minutes it doesnt do anything. it revs but is not consistent with holding the revs where i want them. Only went up to 3.5k under no load. The only driving it has done is about a foot forward up onto some blocks because i was too lazy to jack up the whole front again.

TLDR

New turbo, new plugs, new down pipe, mad surging. See video. What gives.

I have coolant, almost max oil, 140k, apr tune with TP file. Within 1 year i have new: head gasket, carbon cleaning, coil packs, timing belt, cam follower, cam chain and tensioner, all filters, oil filter housing, starter, battery.

Last edited by Solarsuplex; 05-19-2017 at 04:06 PM.
    -James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey

Contact me for adjustable upper rear arms for B6/B7 chassis! // Get some camber \\

Established Member Four Rings pezgoon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Solarsuplex View Post
    Hey guys, my turbo had gone out and was making constant dentist noises so i picked a used turbo up from a member that is doing a swap. The new to me turbo was in running condition and boosting hard before they started the transition.

Yesterday i got the new turbo in and installed a new HFC and downpipes combo on my 08 2.0t quattro. I used all new crush washers on any banjos that got un done and put my newer rev D valve on the donor turbo. Got everything installed, primed the turbo for 3 min by disconnecting my fuel pump fuse and coil packs and cranking for 10 sec on, 10 sec of for a good 20 times. Started it up and it ran smooth with a bit of smoke from the turbo for a good 30 seconds. Every car I've done major motor work on smokes a bit when it is fresh. Condensation, random oil and grime, new gaskets, etc. Then the idle got real rough and started surging. It sounded like when you have a coil pack going out. Pulled all the coil packs and they look amazing. Pulled the plugs and they looked less amazing so i ran and got some new ones.

Tossed the new plugs in and still surging. IM just at a total loss for what is happening. Video will be up shortly of the condition. Even after letting it sit like this for 5+ minutes it doesnt do anything. it revs but is not consistent with holding the revs where i want them. Only went up to 3.5k under no load. The only driving it has done is about a foot forward up onto some blocks because i was too lazy to jack up the whole front again.

TLDR

New turbo, new plugs, new down pipe, mad surging. See video. What gives.

I have coolant, almost max oil, 140k, apr tune with TP file. Within 1 year i have new: head gasket, carbon cleaning, coil packs, timing belt, cam follower, cam chain and tensioner, all filters, oil filter housing, starter, battery.
    It may sound dumb, but are your intercooler pipes tight?, maybe after the little bit it blew off a hose? Just a simple start

And of course, any codes with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Eric

2005.5 6mt A4 2.0(red T ) Silver metallic outside, Platinum inside.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by pezgoon View Post
    It may sound dumb, but are your intercooler pipes tight?, maybe after the little bit it blew off a hose? Just a simple start

Disconnecting and inspecting them right now actually. Will report back.
    -James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey

Contact me for adjustable upper rear arms for B6/B7 chassis! // Get some camber \\

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Disconnecting and inspecting them right now actually. Will report back.
    All intercooler piping was tight and fitted correctly. Only codes are a MAF code but thats because i ran it unplugged. to see if that was the issue.
    -James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey

Senior Member Four Rings impulse's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 B7 A4 - 2.7t Swapped ish, 8P A3 - 3.2L VR6
    Items for Sale

Interested to hear what's going on. No way that was a bum turbo but I also don't think it could effect the idle that drastically even if it was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Joe
    @jg_iii_
    Check out my progression thread - http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Picture-Heavy)

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by impulse View Post
    Interested to hear what's going on. No way that was a bum turbo but I also don't think it could effect the idle that drastically even if it was

Thats what im saying. Not to mention i don't even know how the idle could be so affected by a part that is essentially AFTER the motor.

Trying to rev it just surges harder and won't stay consistent at all.
    -James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Update: About to swap my original rear PCV valve onto the new turbo. The check valve inside the line is non existent on the replacement turbo.
    -James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey

Veteran Member Four Rings Rabbit's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Unicorn shit

Pat says check your vacuum lines.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Pat says check your vacuum lines.
    Will do if the current part swap fails. I have a really good feeling about it. The motor is acting as it does when you run it without the oil cap on. And this would essentially be the same thing.
    -James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Unicorn shit

Parts Darts is the best game.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Its a terrible game when everything is tiny and every time i start the car to test anything it makes it all really hot lol
    -James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Unicorn shit

Its a terrible game when everything is tiny and every time i start the car to test anything it makes it all really hot lol
    Burning the shit out of yourself is the best part, though. 😄

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Rear PCV seems to be the golden ticket here. Somebody else will come in with a detailed explanation that will help any future searchers with similar issues. Cough fafa, cough cp..
    -James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey

Established Member Four Rings pezgoon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Omg this is now going in my sig with your permission

Also the pcv depending on version either has a check valve in the pcv valve itself and none in the metal turbo tune, or a check valve in the metal turbo tube and none in the pcv, older version is the first one stated

I have no idea how to tell if the pcv has one though

It does kinda sound like a vacuum leak

Just FYI, is the hfc brand new?? If the cat is clogged it could give you similar symptoms because the engine can't breathe, maybe something was blown out of the turbo and blocked the cat? I know it sounds crazy and that would be the last thing I'd wanna do again but it could be a worthy consideration

Edit: I just saw this

Rear PCV seems to be the golden ticket here. Somebody else will come in with a detailed explanation that will help any future searchers with similar issues. Cough fafa, cough cp..
    Glad to hear you may have fixed it

You can't mix and match either that is very bad as well. So maybe you had no check valve or two??

Eric

2005.5 6mt A4 2.0(red T ) Silver metallic outside, Platinum inside.

Established Member Four Rings Okedokey's Avatar
    AZ Member #

That sounds like misfires or vacuum leak. VCDS?
    A4 B7 2.0L TSFI (Mauritius Blue) | KO4 + Autotech HPFP upgrade + BSR Stage II tune - 2.5" BSR CAT-back - CAI| S3 Inj. DW300c LPFP | GFB DV+ | 19" Audi 2015 RS4 rims | R8 Coils | 034 RSB, control arms, end links, street density engine & CVT mounts - snub nose - HFC | Cupra R lip | 7" Erisin 2028AM - Polk Audio PA D5000.5 - 4 x DB6502 + db840DVC sub + Pioneer 10" sub| Yellow Fogs, LEDs throughout | CXRacing FMIC - B12 Bilstein Suspension + H&R Springs | S4 brake upgrade and braided lines.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Unicorn shit

Glad you got it sorted. Are you going to LW this year?

Quote Originally Posted by pezgoon View Post
    Omg this is now going in my sig with your permission
    Do it.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I had no valve and it sounded exactly the same as when you run the motor without the oil cap.

I will be at LW. Hopefully have all my issues sorted out.

However after going for a drive I have the following symptoms.

Slight smoke at WOT in second and third gear from 3.5 to 4K rpm and then a 'flapping, clicking' noise for a second. Think baseball card in a spoke but also like tinfoil in the wind...

I always let off. I may get some vagcom time in tomorrow to report back. I'm trying to get this thing pulling hard again.

I can drive up to redline in second at ~80% throttle with no hiccups or bad noises. So it's most definitely boost related.

-James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Unicorn shit

Excellent about LW.
    For the other stuff, have you considered replacing the whole engine? 😄

Active Member Two Rings cdeo_toronto's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I've had something bad like this also twice, the first time it was my vacuum intake manifold plug from my 034 cc that blew off from my intake. Second was one of my fmic pipping slipped out.
    So this has to be a vacuum/ boost related.

Veteran Member Four Rings i3oricua's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 A4; 2012 Kia Sorento

I had no valve and it sounded exactly the same as when you run the motor without the oil cap.

I will be at LW. Hopefully have all my issues sorted out.

However after going for a drive I have the following symptoms.

Slight smoke at WOT in second and third gear from 3.5 to 4K rpm and then a 'flapping, clicking' noise for a second. Think baseball card in a spoke but also like tinfoil in the wind...

I always let off. I may get some vagcom time in tomorrow to report back. I'm trying to get this thing pulling hard again.

I can drive up to redline in second at ~80% throttle with no hiccups or bad noises. So it's most definitely boost related.

Does the noise get louder and faster as you accelerate? This sounds like an exhaust leak. Check your bolts and make sure they're tight but if its doing it when you let off the gas then it may be your turbo/wastegate (at least that's my guess).
    Brilliant Red B7 // EFR 7163 w/S3 injectors and stock internals // Meth Injection // Rotiform BLQs // Eibach Springs w/Koni Shocks // Raxles // Custom Front Mount - Treadstone // Lightweight Crank Pulley // Thor Skid Plate // 18Z Upgrade // S-100 Touch Screen // RS-4 Sway Bar // Custom Catback // Snub Mount // JHM upgraded fuel pump internals // ACTechnic Blackout Boost Gauge in PodI // Seat Cupra Splitter

Veteran Member Four Rings seal66's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 Audi A4, 2015 Audi A3

Just curious if you did any adapations or value resets through vcds on the var after installing all that. Mine did that too after it sat for 6 months. Did a tb adapt and went away.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    2008 Audi A4 2.0T
    320awhp/420awtq...E85---UnitedMotorsports Tuned

2003 A4 Avant 3L
    JHM catless Dp's, JHM Intake spacers, JHM SS trio, Thermal R&D CB

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by i3oricua View Post
    Does the noise get louder and faster as you accelerate? This sounds like an exhaust leak. Check your bolts and make sure they're tight but if its doing it when you let off the gas then it may be your turbo/wastegate (at least that's my guess).
    The sound only occurs for a few seconds and then it goes away. It doesnt happen so much as when i let off but i let off because its happening. I doubt its an exhaust leak because i would hear and smell that at idle.

Honestly i feel it could be waste gate related because it sounds almost as if the internal waste gate is flapping around. Perhaps a new n75 would do the trick. I have the good one from my turbo but god damn i am so sick of working on turbos right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by seal66 View Post
    Just curious if you did any adapations or value resets through vcds on the var after installing all that. Mine did that too after it sat for 6 months. Did a tb adapt and went away.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    I did nothing with VCDS, i only cleared the MAF code i kept getting since i was running with no maf because the stock airbox is huge and in the way when working.
    -James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey

Veteran Member Four Rings seal66's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 Audi A4, 2015 Audi A3

The sound only occurs for a few seconds and then it goes away. It doesnt happen so much as when i let off but i let off because its happening. I doubt its an exhaust leak because i would hear and smell that at idle.

Honestly i feel it could be waste gate related because it sounds almost as if the internal waste gate is flapping around. Perhaps a new n75 would do the trick. I have the good one from my turbo but god damn i am so sick of working on turbos right now.

I did nothing with VCDS, i only cleared the MAF code i kept getting since i was running with no maf because the stock airbox is huge and in the way when working.
    Do you have access to vcds? If so I would try to run a few adaptions to see if it helps at all. Intake flap, tb, fuel pump....
    I am chasing down an issues with either the front fuel sensor being bad or a bad hpfp sensor.
    2008 Audi A4 2.0T
    320awhp/420awtq...E85---UnitedMotorsports Tuned

2003 A4 Avant 3L
    JHM catless Dp's, JHM Intake spacers, JHM SS trio, Thermal R&D CB

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by seal66 View Post
    Do you have access to vcds? If so I would try to run a few adaptions to see if it helps at all. Intake flap, tb, fuel pump....
    I am chasing down an issues with either the front fuel sensor being bad or a bad hpfp sensor.
    I can get access to vcds. Any link for a walk through of the adaptations you're talking about?

-James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey

Veteran Member Four Rings aluthman's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '01 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Talk to Derrek and see if this is similar to the issue he just had. His was a bad throttle body.
    -Adam

'07 DTM A4 2.0T|6MT|EFR 7163 Twin Scroll|DoTuning|Built Motor|Meth and other go fast stuff…
    '06 A4 2.0T Quattro - RIP (Best ¼ mile pass 13.634 @ 103.30)

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by aluthman View Post
    Talk to Derrek and see if this is similar to the issue he just had. His was a bad throttle body.
    Adam, who is Derrek?

-James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '01 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

AZ screen name Derrek
    -Adam

'07 DTM A4 2.0T|6MT|EFR 7163 Twin Scroll|DoTuning|Built Motor|Meth and other go fast stuff…

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '01 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

I have a handful of throttle bodies also. If you want to try one, pay shipping and I'll send it. If it fixes it, $25 and it's yours. If not, just send it back.
    -Adam