Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 31 of 31

Thread: On the hunt!

  1. #1
    Senior Member Three Rings Chandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 07 2014
    AZ Member #
    250343
    My Garage
    Recycle Bin
    Location
    South East

    On the hunt!

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I am beginning to research random tid-bits of information for the B7 RS4. I recently came from a b8.5 S4 and a B7 Passat TDI (just sold it back to VW) and am currently rocking a GMC Envoy I picked up for $500.00 as a temporary vehicle. I purchased a house to remodel, a project that is almost finished up. Once that is done I am going to mortgage the house then seek financing for an RS4. I have some time before all of that happens, but I couldn't keep myself from beginning the hunt.

    I have heard of a couple things that have been changed from the 07 to 08 models (ie the shocks on the 08 got the revised version, throttle response is a little better after an ECU update). I assume these updates were available to some of the 07 models as well but it will be far easier to just grab a good deal on an 08 when I see one.

    My understanding is that there *were* just over 1300 B7 RS4s in the US (prior to being parted or totaled), is that correct?
    I am in Birmingham, AL, so it hasn't been until the past year or two that VW/ Audis have been seen regularly on our streets. Most of the VW group cars stay over in Atlanta. The older generations are going to be more out west or north east I presume. That makes finding one of these 1300 cars at a decent price point a bit more challenging.

    I was researching values and happened to stumble upon a car Friday that was newly listed about 15 miles from my home, no list price at the time. I drove it yesterday and of course enjoyed the drive. I was my first ride in an RS4, but it verified that the RS is what I was after - one of the last affordable high revving German V8's with linear power, forged internals, the Audi Logo, Torsen quarto, and it only came in a 6 speed - Sold.

    Below is the autotrader listing of the car I went to see. It's listed at 28k. The driver side seat organizer is falling off the back, it looks like someone attempted to glue it back together. The carbon fiber trim on the center dash around the shifter is lifting up at one of the corners, there is a very old Clear Bra on the hood with cracks in it, it is yellowing a tad (likely that there is some paint discoloration under it), there is a lot of road rash under the front bumper and other low points. It isn't noticeable until your look at it, but when you do it is all you can see. I don't think my buddy at the paint shop can sand it down and fix all of it due to it being in the lower section where the holes in the front valance are (It looks like there is some trim piece falling out of the holes as well?) There has been no verifiable information that a carbon build up service has ever been done. It felt slower than my b8.5 S4, though it should be *slightly* faster than it was at stock.

    I definitely want to see, feel, and drive another one before buying one, but at this point I am not sure what to expect.
    To drive another one I have to go about 15 hours away. Most other markets are around 33k or so for an RS4 with 60k~ miles. This one has 90k. Are the other vehicles going to have a handful of cosmetic issues as well at this price range? Obviously this is a 10 year old car with almost a 100k miles on it, no the front bumper is not going to be perfect.


    TLDR: Is this listing a steal at the price even though it has a lot of miles and a few cosmetic issues?

    http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...modelCode1=RS4
    #No images allowed, but if I could have one it would be hosted at imageshack /a/img197/5563/chandlersig.gif

  2. #2
    Established Member Two Rings slineb7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 16 2010
    AZ Member #
    61506
    My Garage
    2015 Tahoe LT, 2007 RS4, 2007 Camry
    Location
    SoCal

    Honestly, service history is the only selling point on these cars now. A poorly maintained RS, regardless of cosmetic appearance, will only be a money pit for you.

    What service history is available? If none, expect to drop at least $8k on PM, like carbon cleaning, brakes, injectors, plugs and coils, fluids, bushings, mounts, etc.

    It's a good looking car, but again maintenance is the seller for me. The money you save on maintenance can be put towards cosmetic improvements.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2007 RS4 Daytona Gray | KW V3 | More to come...

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Four Rings Fourplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01 2010
    AZ Member #
    58431
    Location
    Atlanta
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by Chandler View Post
    I am beginning to research random tid-bits of information for the B7 RS4. I recently came from a b8.5 S4 and a B7 Passat TDI (just sold it back to VW) and am currently rocking a GMC Envoy I picked up for $500.00 as a temporary vehicle. I purchased a house to remodel, a project that is almost finished up. Once that is done I am going to mortgage the house then seek financing for an RS4. I have some time before all of that happens, but I couldn't keep myself from beginning the hunt.

    I have heard of a couple things that have been changed from the 07 to 08 models (ie the shocks on the 08 got the revised version, throttle response is a little better after an ECU update). I assume these updates were available to some of the 07 models as well but it will be far easier to just grab a good deal on an 08 when I see one.

    My understanding is that there *were* just over 1300 B7 RS4s in the US (prior to being parted or totaled), is that correct?
    I am in Birmingham, AL, so it hasn't been until the past year or two that VW/ Audis have been seen regularly on our streets. Most of the VW group cars stay over in Atlanta. The older generations are going to be more out west or north east I presume. That makes finding one of these 1300 cars at a decent price point a bit more challenging.

    I was researching values and happened to stumble upon a car Friday that was newly listed about 15 miles from my home, no list price at the time. I drove it yesterday and of course enjoyed the drive. I was my first ride in an RS4, but it verified that the RS is what I was after - one of the last affordable high revving German V8's with linear power, forged internals, the Audi Logo, Torsen quarto, and it only came in a 6 speed - Sold.

    Below is the autotrader listing of the car I went to see. It's listed at 28k. The driver side seat organizer is falling off the back, it looks like someone attempted to glue it back together. The carbon fiber trim on the center dash around the shifter is lifting up at one of the corners, there is a very old Clear Bra on the hood with cracks in it, it is yellowing a tad (likely that there is some paint discoloration under it), there is a lot of road rash under the front bumper and other low points. It isn't noticeable until your look at it, but when you do it is all you can see. I don't think my buddy at the paint shop can sand it down and fix all of it due to it being in the lower section where the holes in the front valance are (It looks like there is some trim piece falling out of the holes as well?) There has been no verifiable information that a carbon build up service has ever been done. It felt slower than my b8.5 S4, though it should be *slightly* faster than it was at stock.

    I definitely want to see, feel, and drive another one before buying one, but at this point I am not sure what to expect.
    To drive another one I have to go about 15 hours away. Most other markets are around 33k or so for an RS4 with 60k~ miles. This one has 90k. Are the other vehicles going to have a handful of cosmetic issues as well at this price range? Obviously this is a 10 year old car with almost a 100k miles on it, no the front bumper is not going to be perfect.


    TLDR: Is this listing a steal at the price even though it has a lot of miles and a few cosmetic issues?

    http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...modelCode1=RS4
    It's not a steal, probably a little high for what it is, but you will be paying for the convenience of having the car locally.

    For reference, I sold mine ('08 with Ti package) with 6k fewer miles and in much better mechanical and cosmetic shape for this same price.
    Garage:
    2014 A8L TDI
    2013 Q7 Prestige TDI

    Past:
    2008 B7 RS4 Mugello w/Ti Package
    2004 B6 S4 Avant 6MT Dolphin Grey
    01.5 B5 S4 Avant 6MT Laser Red Stage 3+
    00 B5 S4 Sedan 6MT Silver Stage 1

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Four Rings R&Cs4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 19 2009
    AZ Member #
    49424
    Location
    NY
    Items for Sale

    Yeah I just bought an '07 Misano with 70k miles for that price. Maintenance history from day 1 included, plus recent clutch/FW, brakes, and carbon clean completed.

    I'd also be a little weary of buying from a wholesale place... they (generally) don't take the best care of their inventory.

    In all honesty, I had to wait 5/6 months to find the right one for me. Patience is key when buying an RS.

    Dolphin S4 Cabriolet
    Misano RS4


  5. #5
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 14 2014
    AZ Member #
    155819
    My Garage
    E46 M3 [sold]
    Location
    Northern Ohio

    when I was looking for my RS4, I was looking all over the country to find the right one. I got lucky and found one about 3.5 hours away... but, take your time.

    Get a Pre-purchase inspection from a place that knows RS4s and what to look for. Find a good reputable indy shop in the area. I didn't have much luck with Audi and pulling maintenance history. I dont know if things have changed, but you need to find the dealer that serviced the car to pull service history.. when I got mine, they were not linked online.

    Like others have mentioned: Brakes, suspension (DRC + everything else), evidence of a carbon clean, injectors, maintenance history, two keys!...

    if you have a OBDII scanner or VagCom, bring that with you and scan it! I was looking at a TTS locally, and found several issues that had been cleared from the computer. That turned out to be enough for me to walk away from the deal.

    good luck. Best car I've ever owned. I really enjoy my RS4 daily. and other than regular and preventive maintenance, I have had no real issues. You just need to keep on top of maintenance.
    2007 RS4 | 2010 GTI

  6. #6
    Senior Member Three Rings Chandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 07 2014
    AZ Member #
    250343
    My Garage
    Recycle Bin
    Location
    South East

    Quote Originally Posted by slineb7 View Post
    Honestly, service history is the only selling point on these cars now. A poorly maintained RS, regardless of cosmetic appearance, will only be a money pit for you.

    What service history is available? If none, expect to drop at least $8k on PM, like carbon cleaning, brakes, injectors, plugs and coils, fluids, bushings, mounts, etc.

    It's a good looking car, but again maintenance is the seller for me. The money you save on maintenance can be put towards cosmetic improvements.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    8K is steep in service! I usually do all of my own stuff, I just swapped a transmission a few months back on my Passat - have done a turbo swap before in a 1.8T motor, etc. Bushings, mounts, fluids, brakes, etc are an easy one for me. The motor is pretty snug in there, so I don't know how involved injectors are, but I am okay with the extra legwork it will require.

    There is a service history - at least it reports all the way up to 75k in 10k intervals from Audi Dealerships. The Carfax is vague on what was actually done though. That would have to come from the dealer itself, and they may not hand over service records. Nothing about a clutch was mentioned, which kind of sucks, but at the same time I expect to spend 1.2k in parts for one at some point, assuming it was replaced around 60-70k.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fourplay View Post
    It's not a steal, probably a little high for what it is, but you will be paying for the convenience of having the car locally.

    For reference, I sold mine ('08 with Ti package) with 6k fewer miles and in much better mechanical and cosmetic shape for this same price.
    That is good to know. What are the major differences in the packages that it came in? I noticed that some had automatic sun shades in the rear, I think some came without rear heated seats, but aside from color and physical interior trimming, I didn't note a difference anywhere else. Most of the listings I have looked at did included a heated rear seat anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by R&Cs4 View Post
    Yeah I just bought an '07 Misano with 70k miles for that price. Maintenance history from day 1 included, plus recent clutch/FW, brakes, and carbon clean completed.

    I'd also be a little weary of buying from a wholesale place... they (generally) don't take the best care of their inventory.

    In all honesty, I had to wait 5/6 months to find the right one for me. Patience is key when buying an RS.
    Your price point is good to know. 70k miles with history and the major services at 28k sounds like a no brainer to me. The book value on these cars is significantly lower in Alabama in other states, which I think is simply because there have been so few sales. I was wondering if they are pricing for the market or because of the condition of the car. I image they are making a good bit of money on it.

    They get their cars from dealerships who take cars on trade. This being a 10 year old car, it didn't fit on Jim Ellis Audi's floor plan (Atlanta, GA). I image they sell traded it in for 24k or so, the whole sale picked up the car and the dealership flipped the trade before it hit inventory for 300 dollars (such as the moving car games go). I am also weary of whole sale or auction type dealerships, but this one has a semi reputable model, and the cars they get are often people trading up. Fortunately there are some records of history, just no detail yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by voidopolis View Post
    when I was looking for my RS4, I was looking all over the country to find the right one. I got lucky and found one about 3.5 hours away... but, take your time.

    Get a Pre-purchase inspection from a place that knows RS4s and what to look for. Find a good reputable indy shop in the area. I didn't have much luck with Audi and pulling maintenance history. I dont know if things have changed, but you need to find the dealer that serviced the car to pull service history.. when I got mine, they were not linked online.

    Like others have mentioned: Brakes, suspension (DRC + everything else), evidence of a carbon clean, injectors, maintenance history, two keys!...

    if you have a OBDII scanner or VagCom, bring that with you and scan it! I was looking at a TTS locally, and found several issues that had been cleared from the computer. That turned out to be enough for me to walk away from the deal.

    good luck. Best car I've ever owned. I really enjoy my RS4 daily. and other than regular and preventive maintenance, I have had no real issues. You just need to keep on top of maintenance.
    There are only three shops around Birmingham aside from the dealer that will do regular work on Audi/Vw. Only one of them would touch an RS4 (Momentum Motor Works) for anything aside from brakes, oil, etc. Their shop rate is something like $120 p/h, inspection is $295.00, I have used them in the past for a clutch replacement on an Audi TT and wasn't impressed. I will find a buyers guide or put together a list of common issues and notate them when looking at the next RS4 while saving some cash at the same time. At the end of the day, I can't image they would offer me a great opinion at $300.00 - They can't tell if it needs a carbon cleaning service, injectors, etc. They can only look at bushings, shocks, check for signs of leaks were visible, audible noise, etc. I will admit a second opinion is helpful. I tend to overlook some things when I get excited. That is what the list is for though!

    Side note: I am the guy that doesn't give the spare key if I don't have to. I like to collect my spares
    #No images allowed, but if I could have one it would be hosted at imageshack /a/img197/5563/chandlersig.gif

  7. #7
    Established Member Two Rings slineb7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 16 2010
    AZ Member #
    61506
    My Garage
    2015 Tahoe LT, 2007 RS4, 2007 Camry
    Location
    SoCal

    My reference to 8k included the following: clutch, flywheel, suspension, injectors, coils, mounts, brake discs and pads, cost of fluids etc. you can probably end up lower than 8, but it's not cheap.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2007 RS4 Daytona Gray | KW V3 | More to come...

  8. #8
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 22 2017
    AZ Member #
    398259
    Location
    Oakland, CA

    I just picked up a 2008 RS4 with 62k miles. Clean history, 2 car owner, mantainence was up to date, etc. No matter what the history looks like, be ready to spend some dough! Two months in and I had to spend money on new tires ($1k) and two front rotors and pads ($1200). Still have to do the carbon cleaning....
    And then coilovers, wheels, and exhaust. :)

  9. #9
    Senior Member Three Rings Chandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 07 2014
    AZ Member #
    250343
    My Garage
    Recycle Bin
    Location
    South East

    Quote Originally Posted by DL8468 View Post
    I just picked up a 2008 RS4 with 62k miles. Clean history, 2 car owner, mantainence was up to date, etc. No matter what the history looks like, be ready to spend some dough! Two months in and I had to spend money on new tires ($1k) and two front rotors and pads ($1200). Still have to do the carbon cleaning....
    And then coilovers, wheels, and exhaust. :)
    Do you mind sharing what you paid? :D

    1200 seems steep for rotors and brakes, but I suppsoe it depends on if you did it yourself, indie shop, or took it to the stealership.
    #No images allowed, but if I could have one it would be hosted at imageshack /a/img197/5563/chandlersig.gif

  10. #10
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Dec 12 2016
    AZ Member #
    388112
    Location
    Southeast

    Front rotors, if you get Brembo brand OEM, are @$350 each...so that's $700 just in rotors. Pads are a couple hundred. A few incidentals and it's easily over $1000 for the front brakes.

  11. #11
    Veteran Member Four Rings 65vetteC6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 28 2007
    AZ Member #
    19879
    My Garage
    V8's
    Location
    New Jersey
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by stanglife View Post
    Front rotors, if you get Brembo brand OEM, are @$350 each...so that's $700 just in rotors. Pads are a couple hundred. A few incidentals and it's easily over $1000 for the front brakes.
    Yup, a lot of prospective buyers don't catch on to this. There is a reason these cars are kind of all over the place with pricing, some need maintenance, others are all set and worth paying the extra dollars.

  12. #12
    Veteran Member Four Rings Fourplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01 2010
    AZ Member #
    58431
    Location
    Atlanta
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by Chandler View Post
    Do you mind sharing what you paid? :D

    1200 seems steep for rotors and brakes, but I suppsoe it depends on if you did it yourself, indie shop, or took it to the stealership.
    $1200 for front brakes is not terrible from an indy or dealership. Changing brakes is really easy on these cars though - you can swap pads in under 5 mins if you are quick.

    The absolute cheapest you can do it with OEM parts is around $700:

    OEM Brembo 2x rotors ($279/ea): https://www.amazon.com/Brembo-09-947...ds=brake+rotor
    OEM Textar pads ($130): https://www.europaparts.com/brake-pa...8151q-trw.html

    Total: $688 + brake fluid

    The rears don't wear as fast as the fronts, so they don't need to be replaced as often.
    Garage:
    2014 A8L TDI
    2013 Q7 Prestige TDI

    Past:
    2008 B7 RS4 Mugello w/Ti Package
    2004 B6 S4 Avant 6MT Dolphin Grey
    01.5 B5 S4 Avant 6MT Laser Red Stage 3+
    00 B5 S4 Sedan 6MT Silver Stage 1

  13. #13
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 22 2017
    AZ Member #
    398259
    Location
    Oakland, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by Chandler View Post
    Do you mind sharing what you paid? :D


    1200 seems steep for rotors and brakes, but I suppsoe it depends on if you did it yourself, indie shop, or took it to the stealership.
    $350 for each brembo rotor, $140 stoptech 309 pads and 2 hours of independent shop labor in CA ($170 per hour).

  14. #14
    Established Member Two Rings DAYTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 30 2014
    AZ Member #
    306697
    Location
    Stamford, CT

    Quote Originally Posted by Fourplay View Post
    $1200 for front brakes is not terrible from an indy or dealership. Changing brakes is really easy on these cars though - you can swap pads in under 5 mins if you are quick.

    The absolute cheapest you can do it with OEM parts is around $700:

    OEM Brembo 2x rotors ($279/ea): https://www.amazon.com/Brembo-09-947...ds=brake+rotor
    OEM Textar pads ($130): https://www.europaparts.com/brake-pa...8151q-trw.html

    Total: $688 + brake fluid

    The rears don't wear as fast as the fronts, so they don't need to be replaced as often.
    Are those Brembo rotors you linked cross-drilled like OEM or are they just blanks? Can't tell from the pics, but these look like an incredibly good deal if they're exactly identical to the factory rotors.
    Daily Driver: 2007 RS4
    Family Hauler: 2015 328i xDrive M-Sport wagon
    Weekend Toy: 1997 NSX

  15. #15
    Veteran Member Four Rings Fourplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01 2010
    AZ Member #
    58431
    Location
    Atlanta
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by DAYTA View Post
    Are those Brembo rotors you linked cross-drilled like OEM or are they just blanks? Can't tell from the pics, but these look like an incredibly good deal if they're exactly identical to the factory rotors.
    It's a stock photo - those are the OEM Brembo, cross-drilled 365x34mm rotors, part number 8E0615301AB.
    Garage:
    2014 A8L TDI
    2013 Q7 Prestige TDI

    Past:
    2008 B7 RS4 Mugello w/Ti Package
    2004 B6 S4 Avant 6MT Dolphin Grey
    01.5 B5 S4 Avant 6MT Laser Red Stage 3+
    00 B5 S4 Sedan 6MT Silver Stage 1

  16. #16
    Senior Member Three Rings Chandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 07 2014
    AZ Member #
    250343
    My Garage
    Recycle Bin
    Location
    South East

    Quote Originally Posted by stanglife View Post
    Front rotors, if you get Brembo brand OEM, are @$350 each...so that's $700 just in rotors. Pads are a couple hundred. A few incidentals and it's easily over $1000 for the front brakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by 65vetteC6 View Post
    Yup, a lot of prospective buyers don't catch on to this. There is a reason these cars are kind of all over the place with pricing, some need maintenance, others are all set and worth paying the extra dollars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourplay View Post
    $1200 for front brakes is not terrible from an indy or dealership. Changing brakes is really easy on these cars though - you can swap pads in under 5 mins if you are quick.

    The absolute cheapest you can do it with OEM parts is around $700:

    OEM Brembo 2x rotors ($279/ea): https://www.amazon.com/Brembo-09-947...ds=brake+rotor
    OEM Textar pads ($130): https://www.europaparts.com/brake-pa...8151q-trw.html

    Total: $688 + brake fluid

    The rears don't wear as fast as the fronts, so they don't need to be replaced as often.
    Quote Originally Posted by DL8468 View Post
    $350 for each brembo rotor, $140 stoptech 309 pads and 2 hours of independent shop labor in CA ($170 per hour).
    Alright, you guys got me there - I wasn't factoring a $700 rotor replacement. I have only replaced a handful of rotors, most on vehicles such as a ford truck ($30-45 an axle! But I do know rotors for this card were going to be closer to $200 a rotor for an aftermarket part. I rotors upgraded ones on a 997.2 911, but those have lasted through one set of track pads and 15k miles of road wear. I was really thinking longevity. I suppose it is standard practice for a shop to recommend replacing your rotors with each brake job now, especially on the front axle.

    Thank you guys for your input, I will certainly make sure I use whatever counter arguments I have on maintenance if I happen to buy from a wholesale type lot. It sounds like my best bet is going to be to lurk on the forums here and wait patiently until I find "That One".
    #No images allowed, but if I could have one it would be hosted at imageshack /a/img197/5563/chandlersig.gif

  17. #17
    Established Member Two Rings DAYTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 30 2014
    AZ Member #
    306697
    Location
    Stamford, CT

    Good to know, thanks.

    Do you have a link for a good deal on rear rotors/pads too?
    Daily Driver: 2007 RS4
    Family Hauler: 2015 328i xDrive M-Sport wagon
    Weekend Toy: 1997 NSX

  18. #18
    Veteran Member Four Rings Fourplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01 2010
    AZ Member #
    58431
    Location
    Atlanta
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by DAYTA View Post
    Good to know, thanks.

    Do you have a link for a good deal on rear rotors/pads too?
    Rear OEM pads ($35): https://www.europaparts.com/brake-pa...1n-hudson.html

    The rear rotors are more expensive than the fronts - ECS says they are Brembo, but the part number is wrong on their website so you can't cross shop.

    Rear rotors (pair): $647.40 - https://www.ecstuning.com/b-brembo-p...615601ab4ktkt/

    Total: $682

    Front and rear brake job total parts cost: $1370 + brake fluid
    Garage:
    2014 A8L TDI
    2013 Q7 Prestige TDI

    Past:
    2008 B7 RS4 Mugello w/Ti Package
    2004 B6 S4 Avant 6MT Dolphin Grey
    01.5 B5 S4 Avant 6MT Laser Red Stage 3+
    00 B5 S4 Sedan 6MT Silver Stage 1

  19. #19
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 20 2015
    AZ Member #
    316344
    Location
    SLC, Utah!

    A big factor in owning this car is whether you can turn a wrench or not. In my case, I cannot, so I had to rely on reputable independent Audi shops. I am good at researching the hell out of things, but don't have the tools or time. Many of the posters here have serious skills and knowledge and can fix most anything on the RS4 so keep that in mind when people are providing views on ownership costs.

    If you can't turn a wrench you need to have some deep pockets and be prepared to dish it out. From your description it sounds like you are capable. But unless you really know your stuff, I don't think this is a vehicle you want to tinker around with. Some experienced Audi mechs won't work on the RS4 (as you noted). That should tell you something, but again, I don't know what the hell I am talking about because I can't turn a wrench.

    I had all the service records on my RS4- it was incredibly well maintained and I went above and beyond the call of duty on all preventative maintenance. I babied it as well.

    Notwithstanding all that, I started having fairly significant reliability problems that my shop could not diagnose. It would die on me randomly while driving down the road, usually at low speeds. Many towings to my shop. My shop would get it running but then the problem would re-occur. I started driving around at all times with a laptop hooked up on the car to capture the data when it would die. Even with the data the shop could not precisely determine the issues. Replaced many fuel pumps and other stuff, in addition to routine items (clutch, carbon cleaning, etc.), came up with multiple theories, but nothing concrete. The car had multiple stays of over a month at the shop (this is more the shop's fault) and that started getting really old. Eventually, the shop got sick of working on my car and started blowing me off, despite the fact that I had been taking my Audi's to them for over 10 years and was very good friends with the service manager and I'd given them many positive Yelp reviews and given them many thousands of dollars.

    I got sick and tired of it. During a period when it was running fine I traded it in. I loved that car when it was running and I miss it, but I've moved on to rock crawling Jeeps. I probably just had a lemon. I suppose all this blathering about is just to say that even if you have all maintenance records and know that the car was well cared for, that is no guaranty. Far from it. It improves your odds, but that is it.

    What a fun car though....
    Last edited by Blake-O; 05-19-2017 at 01:54 PM.
    '08 RS4 Cabriolet

  20. #20
    Senior Member Three Rings Chandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 07 2014
    AZ Member #
    250343
    My Garage
    Recycle Bin
    Location
    South East

    Quote Originally Posted by Blake-O View Post
    A big factor in owning this car is whether you can turn a wrench or not. In my case, I cannot, so I had to rely on reputable independent Audi shops. I am good at researching the hell out of things, but don't have the tools or time. Many of the posters here have serious skills and knowledge and can fix most anything on the RS4 so keep that in mind when people are providing views on ownership costs.

    If you can't turn a wrench you need to have some deep pockets and be prepared to dish it out. From your description it sounds like you are capable. But unless you really know your stuff, I don't think this is a vehicle you want to tinker around with. Some experienced Audi mechs won't work on the RS4 (as you noted). That should tell you something, but again, I don't know what the hell I am talking about because I can't turn a wrench.

    I had all the service records on my RS4- it was incredibly well maintained and I went above and beyond the call of duty on all preventative maintenance. I babied it as well.

    Notwithstanding all that, I started having fairly significant reliability problems that my shop could not diagnose. It would die on me randomly while driving down the road, usually at low speeds. Many towings to my shop. My shop would get it running but then the problem would re-occur. I started driving around at all times with a laptop hooked up on the car to capture the data when it would die. Even with the data the shop could not precisely determine the issues. Replaced many fuel pumps and other stuff, in addition to routine items (clutch, carbon cleaning, etc.), came up with multiple theories, but nothing concrete. The car had multiple stays of over a month at the shop (this is more the shop's fault) and that started getting really old. Eventually, the shop got sick of working on my car and started blowing me off, despite the fact that I had been taking my Audi's to them for over 10 years and was very good friends with the service manager and I'd given them many positive Yelp reviews and given them many thousands of dollars.

    I got sick and tired of it. During a period when it was running fine I traded it in. I loved that car when it was running and I miss it, but I've moved on to rock crawling Jeeps. I probably just had a lemon. I suppose all this blathering about is just to say that even if you have all maintenance records and know that the car was well cared for, that is no guaranty. Far from it. It improves your odds, but that is it.

    What a fun car though....
    There are a lot of things that I do not know or have little experience with, but if I have the time I won't back down from a challenge. I'm not looking for a track car, or a car to haul kids in - I am looking for a pleasure car for myself. A few of my requirements: Nimble, Sub 4.8 seconds, 6spd, <40K, non junky interior, aftermarket support, and lively forum community.

    Aside from the RS4 community being a bit small it sounds like the RS4 will fit the bill. I can't thing of many other options, and I don't want to own a Rwd Mustang GT 350, or an S3 that will quickly depreciate. I've already had the S4- I liked it, but even at stage 2 I wasn't impressed. My understanding is that the stock RS4 will be pretty close to the B8 S4 in stock form. The one I drove actually felt a bit more sluggish than my s4, rougher idle, etc. But I think with new exhaust and a carbon cleaning it will show it's character more and I will be satisfied.
    #No images allowed, but if I could have one it would be hosted at imageshack /a/img197/5563/chandlersig.gif

  21. #21
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 20 2015
    AZ Member #
    316344
    Location
    SLC, Utah!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chandler View Post
    There are a lot of things that I do not know or have little experience with, but if I have the time I won't back down from a challenge. I'm not looking for a track car, or a car to haul kids in - I am looking for a pleasure car for myself. A few of my requirements: Nimble, Sub 4.8 seconds, 6spd, <40K, non junky interior, aftermarket support, and lively forum community.

    Aside from the RS4 community being a bit small it sounds like the RS4 will fit the bill. I can't thing of many other options, and I don't want to own a Rwd Mustang GT 350, or an S3 that will quickly depreciate. I've already had the S4- I liked it, but even at stage 2 I wasn't impressed. My understanding is that the stock RS4 will be pretty close to the B8 S4 in stock form. The one I drove actually felt a bit more sluggish than my s4, rougher idle, etc. But I think with new exhaust and a carbon cleaning it will show it's character more and I will be satisfied.
    The RS4 definitely ticks all those boxes. It ticked off all my boxes as well which is why I bought mine. You will most likely love it, like I did. The other great thing about the RS4 is that is seems to be holding its value rather well at this point, so even in the unlikely event you end up not liking it, you should be able to get most of your investment back. With respect to the comment about the sluggish feel- I agree, the car does not feel particularly quick. It is heavy and from 0-30 you feel it. Once you pass through around 30 mph though, then things start to quickly change for the better.
    '08 RS4 Cabriolet

  22. #22
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Dec 12 2016
    AZ Member #
    388112
    Location
    Southeast

    Quote Originally Posted by Fourplay View Post
    Rear OEM pads ($35): https://www.europaparts.com/brake-pa...1n-hudson.html

    The rear rotors are more expensive than the fronts - ECS says they are Brembo, but the part number is wrong on their website so you can't cross shop.

    Rear rotors (pair): $647.40 - https://www.ecstuning.com/b-brembo-p...615601ab4ktkt/

    Total: $682

    Front and rear brake job total parts cost: $1370 + brake fluid
    Even Brembo doesn't show a rotor for the rear of the RS4, in their catalog. It might "not" be Brembo sourced?

  23. #23
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Dec 12 2016
    AZ Member #
    388112
    Location
    Southeast

    Like others have said, it really adds up when you find one that is up-to-date. Example - I just bought mine with almost 40k miles on it 6 months ago. It was VERY nice but I had to catch it up on a few things, since the guy simply hadn't been driving it. New set of PSS tires, Full front of car PPF replaced, carbon cleaned and I have a new set of pads in the box (popular to replace the originals before the posts start grooving the rotors)...weathertech mats.. That's almost $4500 value (If you pay for someone to do everything (carbon cleaning) - and this car was in excellent shape already. Not that the market supports it, but i'd ask over $40k for this car as it sits....just because I know what's out there. If you want to spend less, you get less (except for the occasional steal).

  24. #24
    Senior Member Three Rings Chandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 07 2014
    AZ Member #
    250343
    My Garage
    Recycle Bin
    Location
    South East

    Quote Originally Posted by stanglife View Post
    Like others have said, it really adds up when you find one that is up-to-date. Example - I just bought mine with almost 40k miles on it 6 months ago. It was VERY nice but I had to catch it up on a few things, since the guy simply hadn't been driving it. New set of PSS tires, Full front of car PPF replaced, carbon cleaned and I have a new set of pads in the box (popular to replace the originals before the posts start grooving the rotors)...weathertech mats.. That's almost $4500 value (If you pay for someone to do everything (carbon cleaning) - and this car was in excellent shape already. Not that the market supports it, but i'd ask over $40k for this car as it sits....just because I know what's out there. If you want to spend less, you get less (except for the occasional steal).
    I am not going to pay cash for the car, and because it is a ten year old + car, interest rates at their best are going to be closer to 6% than 2% for financing, no matter how you slice the cake. I think I am looking for something around 35k with the right records. If I happen to find one in good cosmetic condition that costs less, I will take the opportunity to take it apart, replace bushings, do the carbon cleaning, consider the clutch, etc without batting an eye. If I find one with a roots charger on it along with records, I will be willing to shell out some more $$. I would like a bit more of a power band/ onset of power- but I don't want to spend 15k in addition to do it. The dream would be to find one with a charger that had some sort of issue, I strip down to the block, replace the pistons with a lower compression ratio, drive two hours to Auburn/ Opelika, AL and ask APR to re-tune the car with more boost ;)
    #No images allowed, but if I could have one it would be hosted at imageshack /a/img197/5563/chandlersig.gif

  25. #25
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Dec 12 2016
    AZ Member #
    388112
    Location
    Southeast

    You'll be able to find a solid car for $35k, I suspect. They always need something and that initial "sorting out" a used performance car, is something I enjoy :)

  26. #26
    Senior Member Three Rings Chandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 07 2014
    AZ Member #
    250343
    My Garage
    Recycle Bin
    Location
    South East

    Quote Originally Posted by stanglife View Post
    You'll be able to find a solid car for $35k, I suspect. They always need something and that initial "sorting out" a used performance car, is something I enjoy :)
    I hope so, unfortunately only time will tell. I also take pride and joy from all the "sorting out"!

  27. #27
    Veteran Member Four Rings 65vetteC6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 28 2007
    AZ Member #
    19879
    My Garage
    V8's
    Location
    New Jersey
    Items for Sale

    You need to get into a credit union or something. 6% sounds insane to me, I just looked at one I am part of, rates are 1.99 for 36 months, 3.49 for 60.

  28. #28
    Veteran Member Four Rings Fourplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01 2010
    AZ Member #
    58431
    Location
    Atlanta
    Items for Sale

    Use Lightstream. Unsecured loans so there is no lien on the title if you choose to sell. Rates are pretty good also - I had 2.59% for 5 years.
    Garage:
    2014 A8L TDI
    2013 Q7 Prestige TDI

    Past:
    2008 B7 RS4 Mugello w/Ti Package
    2004 B6 S4 Avant 6MT Dolphin Grey
    01.5 B5 S4 Avant 6MT Laser Red Stage 3+
    00 B5 S4 Sedan 6MT Silver Stage 1

  29. #29
    Senior Member Three Rings Chandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 07 2014
    AZ Member #
    250343
    My Garage
    Recycle Bin
    Location
    South East

    Quote Originally Posted by 65vetteC6 View Post
    You need to get into a credit union or something. 6% sounds insane to me, I just looked at one I am part of, rates are 1.99 for 36 months, 3.49 for 60.
    That is with a local credit union. Most banks won't finance the car at all just because they don't see value in the repo (not that any financial institution wants to repo). I haven't shopped around at all - I just called the same lender I have used for auto in the past (Who won the rate at that time) and asked what their minimum rate was for an 08 vehicle.


    I'll be sure to take a look into Lightstream as well, however I can't image someone would want to give me an insecure loan over 15k with such a low rate. Unsecured loans don't look the hottest on your credit anyway. Ill have a good chunk of equity in my house when I'm done, I may get a HELOC or something if the rate is right, then pay it in small lump sums.
    #No images allowed, but if I could have one it would be hosted at imageshack /a/img197/5563/chandlersig.gif

  30. #30
    Senior Member Three Rings Chandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 07 2014
    AZ Member #
    250343
    My Garage
    Recycle Bin
    Location
    South East

    [QUOTE=Chandler;12442118
    I'll be sure to take a look into Lightstream as well, however I can't image someone would want to give me an insecure loan over 15k with such a low rate. Unsecured loans don't look the hottest on your credit anyway. [/QUOTE]

    Looks like I should have read the first page of the website!
    I will definitely look into it.

    * The APR listed is for an unsecured new auto loan between $10,000 and $24,999 with a term between 24 and 36 months, for applicants with excellent credit. Your APR may differ based on loan purpose, amount, term, and your credit profile. Rate is quoted with AutoPay discount, which is only available when you select AutoPay prior to loan funding. Rates under the invoicing option are 0.50% higher. If your application is approved, your credit profile will determine whether your loan will be unsecured or secured. Subject to credit approval. Conditions and limitations apply. Advertised rates and terms are subject to change without notice.
    #No images allowed, but if I could have one it would be hosted at imageshack /a/img197/5563/chandlersig.gif

  31. #31
    Veteran Member Four Rings Fourplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01 2010
    AZ Member #
    58431
    Location
    Atlanta
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by Chandler View Post
    Looks like I should have read the first page of the website!
    I will definitely look into it.
    My loan was for $26k, 5 years @ 2.59%, unsecured (no lien on title). It's pretty fantastic - I was approved same day and had funds the next business day. You do need a pretty high credit score to qualify for the best rate (IIRC above 760).
    Garage:
    2014 A8L TDI
    2013 Q7 Prestige TDI

    Past:
    2008 B7 RS4 Mugello w/Ti Package
    2004 B6 S4 Avant 6MT Dolphin Grey
    01.5 B5 S4 Avant 6MT Laser Red Stage 3+
    00 B5 S4 Sedan 6MT Silver Stage 1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2017 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.