Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member Four Rings dropshadow's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Nice work. I'm impressed you were able to fit all that on top of the battery and are still able to use the factory trunk floor to hide everything.

Established Member Two Rings blew-dub's Avatar
    AZ Member #

That is great work! How does it disassemble when you need to access the battery?

Veteran Member Four Rings earhythmic's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 Dolphin S4

You hardpipe everything to the PTC fittings or swap them for flanges? How's the leakdown test if PTC?
    2013 Allroad - 12.18s 1/4 mile
    CTS K04| APR | IE | Magnaflow | AirLift 3H | Hotchkis | Vorsteiner
    clicky for build thread

past: B6 S4, B5 A4

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Looks awesome. Love how you kept it stealth with full trunk functionality, yet still have it show ready at a moments notice. Well done.

Established Member Two Rings slow_poke25mph's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 F150 6.2L, 2016 VW Touareg

Quote Originally Posted by blew-dub View Post
    That is great work! How does it disassemble when you need to access the battery?
    There's two brackets that hold the tank down. I loosen those, slide the tank out and then the false floor lifts out. I had to go through this process anyway with the previous setup as the tank sat just above the front battery lip.

With all the fitting and testing over the install, it tanks me 2-3 minutes to get to the battery.

Sent from GLaDOS, because there was no cake.
    The Grocery Getter Stage 2 Allroad on bags.... cause milk & diapers. (Soon to be K04ed)
    Instagram: grocery_getter_81

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by earhythmic View Post
    You hardpipe everything to the PTC fittings or swap them for flanges? How's the leakdown test if PTC?
    The previous setup was all PTC fittings. I looked into switching over for this new build, but ended up staying PTC and ensuring all my ends were cut cleanly and de-burred.

I have a slow leak on the right front wheel. Say full pressure loss after 6-8 hours. Haven't gotten around to tracking down the culprit yet.

The Grocery Getter Stage 2 Allroad on bags.... cause milk & diapers. (Soon to be K04ed)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

The Grocery Getter: B8.5 Allroad Build - Bagged and Tuned

Just took it for another drive after it sat for 36 hours. The tank and 3 bags were within a few lbs of pressure as when I parked it. Was surprised the tank had no leakage (it did with the previous set up). The front passenger side bag still has a slow leak somewhere in line or connection. I'll find it this weekend.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Little update after the Air System completion. I got sick and tired of always trying to squat-press my wheels on while trying to get the OEM-style bolts lined up. I decided it was time to switch over.

I had a set of Chrome McGard bolts, which were nice, included 4 security-lock bolts. In case anyone was wondering, here's the weight of the OEM style versus the lug nuts OEM style is 3.2 ounces and the lug nuts and bolts are 3.4

Overall, I like the look and it far easier to mount the wheels in my tight garage. Install was about as simple as it could get.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Update # Eleventy Sleven:

Added the ECS transmission and subframe mounts. The transmission installed without a hitch. I didn't have a triple square that fit, but the torque is so low that it came out easy with a torx wrench. The kit came with new bolts, so I wasn't worried about stripping them.

But the rear subframe bolts.... the driver side was the devil. I have a good selection of tools, but NOTHING would fit between the OEM bolt and the spare-tire well. I tried everything. Eventually I said ****-it and beat a dent into the sheet metal so that I could get a tool in there. After that, no issues. Even with getting my ungodly-log torque wrench in there.

So what are the results? Yeah, I can feel the difference. The biggest "feel" is when it's on hard throttle. The car no longer "squats." There is no longer the squish or squat with flooring it or under fast shifts.

Overall A+ for the better acceleration feel. Would buy again.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Ah won some more hideous golden garage swag at the latest show. Best Euro... the first, first-place :)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I had this gap between the rear edge of the front splitter and the leading edge of the front fender. Off and on for a few month I had been hunting for a set of canards I could make work to fit and cover this gap. There was much out there, especially for how little I wanted to spend.

Decided to make my own out of aluminum. Started off building multiple cardboard mock-ups

Then it was time to cut some aluminum.

This was my first attempt at creating complex curves out of some aluminum. It wasn't a very coherent process for the first canard. Used a mixture of tools and hands and knees to get the piece to curve in the S-shape I needed and to bend in on itself.

Def a learning process. The 2nd canard went together is about 1/5 the time.

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 Subaru LGT (HTA71)

fantastic ride. congrats on the first place win.

so you were able to retain the factory "sub" by trimming down the enclosure?
    2015 Glacier White Metallic allroad P+ w/ extras

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allthea View Post
    fantastic ride. congrats on the first place win.

so you were able to retain the factory "sub" by trimming down the enclosure?
    No, I ended up removing the sub. It cut down fine and could fit back in. But after using the system with it out, I difference that little woofer made, wasn't with the effort.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Headed out last week to the New Mexico Springfest in ABQ. Was a great show at the ABQ airport. Some interesting cars and some beautiful rides (including a pearl-white Liberty Walk S5)

Took best Euro and Best of Show! Both were unexpected but awesome.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Coming home from the show, Iíve got a few weeks till my K04-R from JHM arrives... so it was time to start a few small projects I had on the back burner.

I wanted a red engine start/stop button, but wasnít going to shell out the huge $$$ for one.

Taped it off.

Sanded her lightly to scuff it up. Used some of the Wifeís wax paper to surround the button.

Used an ultra-custom, rare automotive switch paint ( also knows as the Wifeís fingernail polish) Hey! It was the right color and enamel. Why buy more?

I hit it up with three thick coats, allowing about 10 min between coats. It worked better than expected. Turned out the perfect gloss red but still glows through in the dark.

Established Member Three Rings Jezza's Avatar
    AZ Member #

It looks great! Any reason why you didn't use vinyl? It might have been easier.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    It looks great! Any reason why you didn't use vinyl? It might have been easier.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Audizine mobile app
    Ha! Because I didnít even think about using vinyl.... and I have red 3M in the garage.

Might try this when the paint wears thin.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Now that show season is coming to a close, itís time to start a few long-term projects:

1. JHM K04-R install and UM tune
    2. Brake system clean and paint
    3. Work Wheels rebuild.

Since Iím waiting on info for the UM tune, Iíve been fiddling around with these Work VSXX wheels I️ got on trade.

The lips and barrels are rough, with huge bends I️. The lips. Looks like someone used these to grind every curb in Texas...

But I️ Just need the faces. Theses were originally staggered and the sizing/offset wouldnít work for the Allroad.

I let these guys soak in PB blaster over a long weekend.

After removing the bolts from the first wheel, I️ couldnít get it apart. I️ then dug into the seal between lips and barrels.... yup welded together. Donít know there will be anything to salvage there.

The little-man is not helping by helping.

On the third wheel I️ found that Some of These Shapes are Not Like the Others...

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Great thread!

Did you remove the battery to carpet underneath it?

Glad you figured out that you couldn't use the woofer and cram everything in there without living the floor. Thats been my issue but you solved my problem. I guess I should get to it then...

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yvan View Post
    Great thread!

Did you remove the battery to carpet underneath it?

Glad you figured out that you couldn't use the woofer and cram everything in there without living the floor. Thats been my issue but you solved my problem. I guess I should get to it then...

I removed the battery to Dynamat the entire spare tire well.

The carpet on the outer edge of the spare tire well goes about 3 inches below the false floor (about 2 inches below the top edge of the battery.

Does that make sense?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

It was finally time to replace those torn upper control Arm Bushings. While I had the control arms out I decided it was time to clean up the calipers, paint them and also upgrade to steel-braided brake lines.

I had already upgraded to the ECS Stage 1 kit, which included the S5 Carriers and up-sized vented and slotted rotors. The driver-side brake carrier bolt (lower) was stuck like a beast... I have no idea why it didn't come out with a breaker bar like all the other ones, but I spent 3 days working on it. Eventually I had to make a blood offering through destroyed knuckles to get if off. We hates it.

Then it was of to cleaning. The cleaning process took about a week. I used dish soap and steel-bristle brushes. I went through quite a few brushes as they were cheap and the bristles would eventually fall out from being soaked in water. At 99 cents each, I couldn't complain.

I also cleaned and painted the dust shields so they would blend in better and disappear behind the rotors.

Then it was on to painting the Calipers. I decided on black. These aren't massive one-piece Brembos or Stoptech, so I didn't think bright red calipers would be very groovy. Just keep it simple and understated.

I ordered new stretch bolts, re-greased all the fittings and put her all back together. Went smoothly, except for trying to put the correct torque on the brake carrier bolts. Would have been much easier on a lift... but I made due with the jack stands and ingenuity. (also painted the rear calipers)

Added StopTech steel-braided brake lines for a better feel. The OEM ones are pretty ghetto and don't exactly instill confidence with their design.

Finally, I had ordered a pressure bleeder from ECS and flushed and refilled all the lines with new fluid. Was my first attempt at flushing lines, so hopefully it worked. correctly.... we shall see.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

My upper control arm bushings have been torn. Pretty sure the shop who installed my Air system didn't preload them. Over time they were worn out. From the post before, you can see I pulled them as part of a bushings and brake upgrade.

When I finally got the control arms out, the bushings were much worse than I expected. The entire inner rubber and collar was torn loose of the outer rubber. With enough force I could spin the inner portion.... that's bad.

I have been searching for new bushings for quite some time. Of course I knew 034 Motorsports and other companies sold adjustable control arms. But two reasons kept me away. First, I didn't want to spend $400+ on new arms. Second, I also didn't need the adjustable option on new control arms. My front camber is pretty spot-on for my normal ride height.

I had contacted various companies trying to find someone who made bushings for the B8.5 Allroad. No one carried them. I believe this is mostly because they hadn't tried to fit a bushing from the A4/A5 or Q5, which the Allroad shares many suspension components with.

Finally I contacted Powerflex. I can't sing the praises of Powerflex enough! Seriously the BEST customer service experience I've ever had with a car parts company. Mackenzie from Powerflex worked with me over numerous e-mails comparing dimensions on various Audi bushings. We finally settled on a set from the Powerflex Black (race) series. Mackenzie had them shipped out right away with the option to send them back to try another set/size.

In the meantime, I pulled the arms and tried to figure out how to get the bushings out. I had planned to go to my local shop, VAG-HAUS tuning here in El Paso. But the owner just happened to be on vacation during that time. I decided to try this DIY I found on a mustang forum, which just used a huge bolt to push the bushings out.

Here are the parts I picked up from Lowes and Harbor Freight
    1. 1.25 socket (Harbor Freight $3.99)
    2. 5 inch bolt (grade 8)
    3. 5/8 nuts
    4. 1.5 inch electrical conduit end cap
    5. washers

The first couple of tries I realized the washers weren't going to cut it. Even WITH multiple washers (and thick ones at that) the pressure would cause them to deform and change the angle of the socket pressing out the bushing.

I then decided to use these huge JDM-style tow hooks I had found at Goodwill for $4 (don't ask why tow hooks were at Goodwill, but it's good aluminum so why pass it up?)
    Using the tow-hook parts made the process easier and didn't allow the the bolt to flex or change angle.
    Here's the set-up I eventually went with for all four control arms.

The only difficult part was getting the 1.25 inch socket lined up correctly each time to push out the metal lip of the bushing. On one arm I just ended up pushing out the center rubber portion, which made the job more difficult. To get this bushing sleeve out, I just used a flat-head screwdriver to bend the bushing sleeve inward to get the socket something to press on. Came out like a champ.

I then used some super-fine grit sand paper to smooth out the inner portions of the control arms. There was a few light scrapes from the bushings either being originally pressed in or my pressing them out.

The Powerflex bushings come in two parts: an outer rubber portion and the inner sleeve. There is NO outer metal sleeve like on the OEM bushings.
    As a note, one side of the control arms has a beveled lip, so I pressed in the bushings from this side. I also pressed in the Powerflex bushings without the inner metal sleeve to get them more room to squish. I just used a reverse process to push the new bushings in.

They went in with a little bit of work and multiple realignments. The fit was PERFECT.

Overall, this is a process I would definetly recommend to anyone with a basic tool set. It wasn't as extensive or difficult as some of the car-projects I've undertaken. Once again, Powerflex was awesome. I strongly recommend them to anyone who's looking to upgrade or replace the bushings on their Allroad.

AZ Member #

do you know the exact product number for the bushings?
    I found the a4:
    https://powerflexusa.com/audiA4B8fro...bushing-1.aspx

and the rs4
    https://powerflexusa.com/audirs42012...rmbushing.aspx

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blew-dub View Post
    do you know the exact product number for the bushings?
    I found the a4:
    https://powerflexusa.com/audiA4B8fro...bushing-1.aspx

and the rs4
    https://powerflexusa.com/audirs42012...rmbushing.aspx
    E-mail Mackenzie at Mackenzie@PowerflexUSA.com

He will help you source the right bushings. They don't have an Allroad section yet, but part of the project was to allow Powerflex to see what fits for the Allroad.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #
    My Garage

IMG_20180317_113751.jpg

Veteran Member Three Rings bluefox280's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What was your reasoning to do "Race" (black) bushings versus the "Street" (purple)?

- Erik
    ē PatternDraftImaging.com - "...Where Engineering Discipline and Photography Merge as One..."

AZ Member #

from the powerflex website:

Powerflex Street (Yellow: 70A or Purple: 80A) - Replacement Performance Suspension Bushings

Performance
    Durability
    Safety

Powerflex Black Series (Race: 95A) - Ultimate Performance Bushings Offering The Most Precise And Accurate Alignment

Designed For The Track
    Ready To Race

*Powerflex Lifetime Warranty Available On All Bushings

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluefox280 View Post
    What was your reasoning to do "Race" (black) bushings versus the "Street" (purple)?

- Erik
    I don't daily the Allroad anymore. So I prefer the suspension/steering to be as tight as possible. This was my only reason for going with the Black series.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by slow_poke25mph View Post
    It was finally time to replace those torn upper control Arm Bushings. While I had the control arms out I decided it was time to clean up the calipers, paint them and also upgrade to steel-braided brake lines.

I had already upgraded to the ECS Stage 1 kit, which included the S5 Carriers and up-sized vented and slotted rotors. The driver-side brake carrier bolt (lower) was stuck like a beast... I have no idea why it didn't come out with a breaker bar like all the other ones, but I spent 3 days working on it. Eventually I had to make a blood offering through destroyed knuckles to get if off. We hates it.

Donít happen to have the part number for the StopTech set up with S5 carriers would you? Looking for the same plug n play set up but I donít see it on ECS website. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage

BMC2U

The carrier upgrade kit from ECS part: ES#2215370

Stoptech lines: ES#3224987

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by slow_poke25mph View Post
    BMC2U

The carrier upgrade kit from ECS part: ES#2215370

Stoptech lines: ES#3224987

Awesome thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Magnoflow exhaust showed up today. I already pulled the OEM axle back. Threw it on the scale because it seemed HaF.

LRM_EXPORT_20180319_181414.jpg

Magnoflow box is HUGE

IMG_20180327_131911.jpg

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Since I had to drop the down pipe to for the new Magnaflow exhaust. Decided it was time to go ahead and pull the K03 turbo.

Tuning software from Unitronic is on the way and the JHMotorsports K04-R has been evil eyeing me from the workbench for months now.

It's time.

LRM_EXPORT_20180327_194024.jpg

Pulled the airbox and the surrounding odds and ends. I found a few DIYs here on Audizine, but the threads were so old the pics didn't work anymore. But I did find the CTS Turbo instructions on a K04 install. Piecing together the various notes all the parts came out pretty easy....

LRM_EXPORT_20180327_194112.jpg

Two major sticking points....

1. The upper turbo support brace stripped on the very first try. Not even with that much pressure! Luckily I was able to remove the bolt from the bottom of the support brace. Would have been a disaster.

2. All the DIY and instructions said I wouldn't have to remove the lower manifold bolts to pull the whole turbo out.... Yeah, that was BS. I did end up having to remove those to get the turbo out major pain in the a**.

LRM_EXPORT_20180327_194217.jpg

Time to start pulling stuff off the K03 and prepping them for the K04-R

LRM_EXPORT_20180327_194310.jpg

Veteran Member Four Rings NaiveTurtle's Avatar
    AZ Member #

How many miles did you have on those control arms before you replaced them?

I think I am having the same issue with my S5 due to being on air. I know I pre-loaded my control arms when I went to the 034 adjustable control arms and air ride. But after 25-30k miles my suspension is making quite the squeeky noise. Was thinking about going to spherical bearings to help solve this issue.
    2008 GMG World Challenge 6MT []S5 Ibis White Matte Metallic Purple/Black Alcantara
    [Mods - GIAC 91 Tune | GMG WC Sport Downpipes | GMG WC Sport Cat-Back | GMG WC Front & Rear Sway Bars | AP Racing 6-Piston Front BBK | 20x9.5 HRE P40's | Accuair B8 Sport Kit]
    2004 Ocean Blue Metallic A4 Avant
    Instagram: @NaiveTurtle

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 Subaru LGT (HTA71)

That's the first time I've seen the collectors leading into the turbine on these cars. Interesting setup.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

That's the first time I've seen the collectors leading into the turbine on these cars. Interesting setup.
    It's the standard OEM setup on the VW and Audi 2.0.

Issue with moving to a complete Big turbo kit is the need for a one-off collector/exhaust manifold.

No one that I know of makes one (except RAI and that's still a one-off production for their Big Turbo kit).

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NaiveTurtle View Post
    How many miles did you have on those control arms before you replaced them?

I think I am having the same issue with my S5 due to being on air. I know I pre-loaded my control arms when I went to the 034 adjustable control arms and air ride. But after 25-30k miles my suspension is making quite the squeeky noise. Was thinking about going to spherical bearings to help solve this issue.
    I had 30k on the control arms with 10k of that since I went to H&R springs then air ride.

I never noticed any squeak from them, so not sure if your squeak is from your 034 arms.

I would guess that with the new bushings there won't be so much of an issue because they don't have the outer metal sleeve, which doesn't allow for any movement. The OEM bushings don't allow for any additional flex in a vertical (aired out) movement because the metal sleeve is not allowed to rotate within the control arm. These new bushings will allow for that vertical movement as they can rotate within the control arm if necessary.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Been moonlighting is the garage all week, installing the new JHMotorsports K04-R and thr Magnaflow Cat-back.

Things are moving slow as always. It's just time. The kids don't play well in the garage... Unless you consider them wandering off with tools. Or the worst is when the 2-year old decided my doors need to be hammered or screw-drivered. Always have to keep one eye out to see how close he's getting and what tools he's carrying.

IMG_20180401_163344_942.jpg

Been swapping out and coolant lines from the old OEM K03 to the K04-R.

LRM_EXPORT_20180401_132827.jpg

If you haven't experienced it yet, the High-flow cat/test-pipe connection to the downpipe is the biggest pain in the a** ever. The location of that joint is horrible to get to and nearly impossible to work with. You can't pull the two out from the top of the car or pull them from the bottom. They must be split to get either out.

We Hates It.

Pulled them out to mates both the new turbo and to mate the new Magnaflow.

While I was at it, gave the test-pipe a new DEI titanium wrap.

IMG_20180401_212454_249.jpg

IMG_20180401_212552_155.jpg

Learned a hard lesson today.... The Cat-back passenger-side front exhaust hanger also bolts down one of the fuel-tank straps.

I removed the exhaust hangers to make it easier pulling them off the old exhaust and slapping them on the Magnaflow.

It was a HUGE pain trying to lift the tank, and line up the exhaust hanger, strap and bolt... At one point I was pushing a rubber mallet with my forehead, lifting with one arm, and trying to line up the bolt with the remaing hand.

Wasn't my best home-mechanic moment.

Anyways. Got it all in.

And DAMMMN do these new exhaust tips look good. Think Kyoto by Skrillex.

LRM_EXPORT_20180401_205547.jpg

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 Subaru LGT (HTA71)

No issues with fitment on the magnaflow?

Those extra hands on your head really do come in handy sometimes

AZ Member #
    My Garage

No issues with fitment on the magnaflow?

Those extra hands on your head really do come in handy sometimes
    I was actually surprised that Magnaflow fit correctly. I had read other forum posts on people having issues getting the tips aligned and having fitment issues.

I put the whole thing in loosely, meaning I didn't tighten up the pipe connections and just barely screwed in the exhaust hangers. Once I got the whole system in, I started at the tips and worked my way forward tightening and adjusting fitment as I went.

A big hint is to leave the connections between the mufflers and the y-pipe loose until the very last. I was able to adjust this connection to change the way the tips sat in the rear valence.

Would have been WAY easy on a lift. But I was smashed between my garage floor and Jack stands. Hence the runner mallet / forehead holding method.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast