Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

New Brake Pads for RS5, street use only

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I know there have been a variety of threads on this, but decided to start a fresh one since many are looking for advice for track use. I'm in a 2015 RS5 with 23K miles, and my OEM pads still have some life left but I really want something with more bite. The guy I use is suggesting Stoptech saying they make a good compound (can't remember the exact pad) for the street, but also said there will be some noise (which I can't stand) and dust. Don't care as much about dust, but can't understand whether it's worth it (around $480 for a full set installed) or really if I'll get that much more bite out of them. I'm willing to tolerate some noise if I'm getting a considerable bump in bite. I know many people here have also used Hawks with varying levels of satisfaction, but really what I'm looking for is a pad with a decent upgrade in bite than OEM but also isn't going to sound like a Kenilworth jake brake. Thanks for thoughts/suggestions.

Veteran Member Three Rings dazed1's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Stoptech 309. I've used them on the street, and for a low braking track event as well. Cheap, reliable, low dust, no noise.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 RS5 Cab / 2015 Q7

Comparable usage/ life span? better or the same stopping "feel"?

Quote Originally Posted by dazed1 View Post
    Stoptech 309. I've used them on the street, and for a low braking track event as well. Cheap, reliable, low dust, no noise.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ICU2 View Post
    Comparable usage/ life span? better or the same stopping "feel"?
    Better stopping. Longer life is debatable as I had track use in it and I'm pretty harsh on braking in general. For the price point, and compared to OEM, they are much better.

- - - Updated - - -

Also as comparison, I run Pagid RS29's on the street (too lazy to change after track days). So my bite point and braking feel is much different.

AZ Member #

Thanks for the feedback - I ordered the Stoptech 309s and will see how they fare.

AZ Member #

Please update, I'm at 29k miles and still on OEM pads myself....

AZ Member #

So I got the stoptechs installed today and they'll need some break in time, but already I can see where they will perform better than oem. More importantly, when I got my old pads removed they were about 40%, but the hardware in the pic below was at a near breaking point and had to be replaced. I'm a little surprised at this after 23k miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Active Member One Ring SoCal_OOOO's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Dumb question... what is that?

AZ Member #

Beats me lol.. I just assumed you guys knew. Mechanic said it was some kind of rod, forgot the name

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5

Its the pins that hold the pads in places.

AZ Member #

How were they near breaking point? Or are they just saying that because it's covered in gunk?

AZ Member #

I'm not sure if those are the same pins. I actually called the guy and asked and he will send me a diagram of what it is. He said something like they are the pins that connect the calipers to the rotors. I will scan it and upload tomorrow. They were definitely in bad shape - not just rusty but almost coming apart. Strange for a relatively new car.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5

The rotor and the caliper are not connected, the caliper is mounted with two bolts to the wheel bearing housing/wheel hub, the rotor is mounted to the same with just a screw to hold it in place. I'm pretty sure it's got to be those pins, can't see what else they would be...

AZ Member #

Yes my mistake, Spa is correct. Here is a diagram of the assembly - also, fyi, an Audi dealership told me they charge $50 for each pin, which seems ridiculous at best.

AZ Member #

Yup. that is the brake pin. They'l be fine, and you don't need to replace them.

Aside from that, how are the pads now that you've had them for a few days?

AZ Member #

I saw the condition of my brake pins and the ones on the front left were almost coming apart - it was pretty surprising. As far as the pads go, I am not seeing dust or hearing noise. In terms of performance, I am feeling some improvement - but to be honest, I'm not sure whether it's enough improvement to have justified the cost of the switch, and I hoped for maybe a bit more grab out of them. But there is definitely some improvement over the OEMs.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by PeregrineNYC View Post
    I saw the condition of my brake pins and the ones on the front left were almost coming apart - it was pretty surprising. As far as the pads go, I am not seeing dust or hearing noise. In terms of performance, I am feeling some improvement - but to be honest, I'm not sure whether it's enough improvement to have justified the cost of the switch, and I hoped for maybe a bit more grab out of them. But there is definitely some improvement over the OEMs.
    They are cheaper than OEM pads. So it would still seem worth it IMO.

AZ Member #

Bump on this with an update - as the pads have broken in they've improved quite a bit in performance. Much more grab now and well worth the purchase.

AZ Member #

Bump on this with an update - as the pads have broken in they've improved quite a bit in performance. Much more grab now and well worth the purchase.

Good to know!

AZ Member #

I just switched from my pagid back to the stop tech 309. I cry for bite every time I have to brake, but at least I do not have any more squeaky pads!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dazed1 View Post
    I just switched from my pagid back to the stop tech 309. I cry for bite every time I have to brake, but at least I do not have any more squeaky pads!
    Give it some time and see how they break in. Curious as to your evaluation over time.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 RS5 Cab / 2015 Q7

Give it some time and see how they break in. Curious as to your evaluation over time.
    So a "better" feel than OEM for stopping & grab, what ~ brake dust? More dust, ~ the same or less dust?

AZ Member #

These are broken in. But i'm going to wait for them to reshape on the rotors. I've used them before and like it, but compared to Pagid RS29, these are no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by ICU2 View Post
    So a "better" feel than OEM for stopping & grab, what ~ brake dust? More dust, ~ the same or less dust?
    Much less brake dust than OEM.

Veteran Member Four Rings jdmnomore's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I just purchased a set of Hawk HPS pads so will report back. The only others I've had are oem, and carbotech 1521. Carbotech
    1521s were becoming complicated to source but i absolutely love them. Hoping the Hawk HPSs don't disappoint.
    2013 SUZUKA GREY RS5
    Eventuri intake + Slam Panel / Milltek non res / 034 Rear Sway and diff inserts / H&R Springs/ 20x10 Volk TE37 in Michelin PS4s
    2015 MYTHOS S4 (Black Optic)

2008 AVUS RS4

2004 IMOLA S4
    Dead

Veteran Member Two Rings Reggie's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    11' 3.2Q5 2015 RS5

I went with Centric Posi Quiet semi-metallic brake pads for my RS4 and the RS5. Very low dust and quiet pads for the street. https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=471

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 RS5 Cab / 2015 Q7

Thx for posting Reggie & forgive my ignorance, what does the shading in the heptagon represent? Estimated Mileage, braking cycles, calendar mo's/years in overall usage? Have you used them B 4? Totally unfamiliar w/these so again forgive my ignorance. TIA for your reply.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jdmnomore View Post
    I just purchased a set of Hawk HPS pads so will report back. The only others I've had are oem, and carbotech 1521. Carbotech
    1521s were becoming complicated to source but i absolutely love them. Hoping the Hawk HPSs don't disappoint.
    Whats the verdict? I'm at 25k miles and I'm shopping around.