Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

$500 to install pads & rotors reasonable?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey Guys,

Just making sure I shouldn't shop around for additional estimates, but this was provided by the shop I take my car to for everything. To install pads and rotors on all 4 corners, he quoted me $500 plus tax ($112/hr labor rate). I already have the pads and rotors, so there are no parts in that estimate. I know you will all say that I should just do it myself, but I would be very nervous to attempt on my own.

Thank you!

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I think that is a bit high? But I have never taken the car to a dealer for brakes? The fronts can be done in about 30 min, tops, by an amatuer, on a lift? Rears are about the same,except for the E-brake computer fiddling.
    2014 S5-DSG with Sport Differential|CTS Intake|034 Rear Sway Bar, End links and Insert Kit|CR-15|H&R Sport |Custom Exhaust|ST-60|PLM| Alu Kreuz |GIAC S2+/GIAC TCU

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by amusante View Post
    Hey Guys,

Just making sure I shouldn't shop around for additional estimates, but this was provided by the shop I take my car to for everything. To install pads and rotors on all 4 corners, he quoted me $500 plus tax ($112/hr labor rate). I already have the pads and rotors, so there are no parts in that estimate. I know you will all say that I should just do it myself, but I would be very nervous to attempt on my own.

Thank you!
    In the same boat myself at the moment, but a shop that was recommended by someone on here quoted me $220 for labor on all four corners. Think your quote may be a bit high.
    2012 S4 6MT
    2006 S4 6MT
    2000 S4 6MT

Veteran Member Four Rings blackfunk's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I personally think its not a bad price. I'd also tell you that its really not a difficult job and it really is something that you can do on your own with stands no problems.
    Life has taught me never try to make something idiot proof, they'll simply come up with a better idiot.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SR7D1 View Post
    I think that is a bit high? But I have never taken the car to a dealer for brakes? The fronts can be done in about 30 min, tops, by an amatuer, on a lift? Rears are about the same,except for the E-brake computer fiddling.
    So you think, until you run into the industrial strength adhesive the dealer used to glue the pad backing plates to the caliper try to stop the squeal. Ask me how I know. And ask me why I put Q5 four piston brembos on this past weekend. Ug.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Book rate should be around 1hr/[wheel](not saying it takes that long) so that seems a little high, but reasonable - esp if it includes the shop bedding in the pads.
    Last edited by SFo; 04-20-2017 at 08:08 AM.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Acura RDX (my wife's vehicle)

I would say that is a bit high but my buddy, who is a certified Audi mechanic, and does this for me on the side at his house with a jack and stands takes about 2 - 2.5 hrs. and charges me no more than $200. They are estimating 1 hr. per wheel! I think $250 - 300 would be more fair but that is my experience with my B7 A4. Actually, I am heading over to his house this Sat. for him to do my rear brakes.
    2007 A4 3.2L quattro in Deep Sea Blue Pearl Effect with beige interior; RS4 rear sway bar; basic VAGCOM mods; tan WeatherTech floor liners.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SFo View Post
    Book rate should be around 1hr/axle (not saying it takes that long) so that seems a little high, but reasonable - esp if it includes the shop bedding in the pads.
    Definitely bed them! If the shop is doing that for you, that time needs to be considered. I actually have fun bedding my brakes.
    2007 A4 3.2L quattro in Deep Sea Blue Pearl Effect with beige interior; RS4 rear sway bar; basic VAGCOM mods; tan WeatherTech floor liners.

Veteran Member Three Rings S4Phantom's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I work in a shop. When we do pads and rotors we get between 1.5 hrs and 2 hrs per axle. It's how a shop makes money. When a customer wants to bring their own parts I go up 1/2 hour on labor because again, we need to make money to stay in business and when you bring parts, we don't make money on that. When people drive expensive cars, if you are not doing the repairs yourself, you should be expecting to pay for the work you want done. I would probably charge someone with an Audi, BMW, Mercedes ect about $500 to install their own parts for all 4 wheels. Just my 2 cents
    2011 Phantom Black S4 Prestige Titanium Pkg., Sport Diff., Alu Kreuz, Milltek Non-resonated exhaust with oval tips, AWE Carbon Fiber intake, Stage 1 GIAC, Black powder coated Titanium Pkg wheels

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SFo View Post
    Book rate should be around 1hr/axle (not saying it takes that long) so that seems a little high, but reasonable - esp if it includes the shop bedding in the pads.
    Yeah, that's what I said, 30 min per wheel. So I thought $500 was high for labor only since he is bringing the parts. OP, why don't you do the fronts yourself? Take it to the dealer for the rears, since you may not have the tools for the parking brake reset (or comfort level?).

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...or-Replacement
    2014 S5-DSG with Sport Differential|CTS Intake|034 Rear Sway Bar, End links and Insert Kit|CR-15|H&R Sport |Custom Exhaust|ST-60|PLM| Alu Kreuz |GIAC S2+/GIAC TCU

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Yeah, that's what I said, 30 min per wheel. So I thought $500 was high for labor only since he is bringing the parts. OP, why don't you do the fronts yourself? Take it to the dealer for the rears, since you may not have the tools for the parking brake reset (or comfort level?).

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...or-Replacement
    Sorry, I meant /wheel - I was getting a 4 hours being a reasonable (not great, but certainly not terrible) base rate for this job.

Senior Member Three Rings toastsauce's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I paid 650 I think for new pads rotors and suspension install
    2014 Audi S5 3.0T Prestige | Black Optics | Sports Diff
    APR Stage 2 | Roc Euro CAI | B12 Pro Kit | 034 Rear Sway + Endlinks | EC Alu Kruez | CR-15
    EC T&B Diff & Trans Mounts | USP SS Brake Lines | EBC Yellow Stuff Pads | BP Slotted & Drilled Rotors | ECS 10F/15R Spacers | RS5 Grille

Veteran Member Four Rings MacFady's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    330i ZHP

Keep in mind that some shops may be actually increasing the labor rate if you are providing your own parts, the end bill will be less but the labor amount may actually be more.

If you're "nervous" about doing it yourself then I would likely recommend not doing it yourself. Brakes generally are not high on the DIY difficulty scale but are certainly important to do correctly. If this place is where you take your car for everything like you say, then even if it is a little bit more than somewhere else I would likely just stick with what I know and the place I've already established a rapport with. It's in their best interest to treat you fairly as a repeat customer.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Do it yourself. It's extremely easy.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

500$ labour is definitely high. I had my 4 rotors, pads +sensor changed (parts purchase online) and labor cost me 150$. And that Canadian currency!
    Last edited by TC_S4; 04-20-2017 at 11:41 AM.
    Audi 2013 S-Tronic | REVO Stage 1+ | REVO Pulley | REVO TCU tune | Eurocode intake | ECS cross drilled slotted rotors | Hawks HPS 5.0| ECS insert mount & flush kit spacers| Vibrant 90mm double wall Stainless steel tips | Resonated Xpipe| HID 4300K 55w fog lights

AZ Member #

Thanks guys, it seems like responses are a bit scattered, but it doesn't sound like I'm getting raped by any means. I never really factored in the additional labor $ since I am bringing my own parts. Maybe I'll do some DIY research, but as someone said, certainly not something I want to screw up.

AZ Member #

This is a reasonable price in my opinion, but thoroughly will depend on geography and market conditions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Thanks guys, it seems like responses are a bit scattered, but it doesn't sound like I'm getting raped by any means. I never really factored in the additional labor $ since I am bringing my own parts. Maybe I'll do some DIY research, but as someone said, certainly not something I want to screw up.
    Read my post where I linked the DIY for front brakes. If it looks like something you can swing, then go for it and have the shop do the rears. If not, then I suppose you don't have a choice?

EDIT: I see you are in Danbury, CT. Put a shout out to your Regional Forum (here on AZ) and offer up burgers and beer for anyone that can drop by and help you get this done? You can learn and save money, if that is what you want? And you can save $500! That goes a long way towards more fun parts! (intake? CR-15, rear sway bar, just to name a few!)

AZ Member #

My independent (and extremely terrific) shop ended up at $750 for parts and labor on all four with new zimmerman rotors and textar pads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MacFady View Post
    Keep in mind that some shops may be actually increasing the labor rate if you are providing your own parts, the end bill will be less but the labor amount may actually be more.

If you're "nervous" about doing it yourself then I would likely recommend not doing it yourself. Brakes generally are not high on the DIY difficulty scale but are certainly important to do correctly. If this place is where you take your car for everything like you say, then even if it is a little bit more than somewhere else I would likely just stick with what I know and the place I've already established a rapport with. It's in their best interest to treat you fairly as a repeat customer.
    +1

It seems a bit high to me, but not terrible. 4hrs x 125 isn't great but not out of line.

Senior Member Three Rings BJYorko's Avatar
    AZ Member #

EDIT: I see you are in Danbury, CT. Put a shout out to your Regional Forum (here on AZ) and offer up burgers and beer for anyone that can drop by and help you get this done? You can learn and save money, if that is what you want? And you can save $500! That goes a long way towards more fun parts! (intake? CR-15, rear sway bar, just to name a few!)
    What this guy said... we did pads on my car in a couple of hours (like 2-3 ish) in a buddy's driveway on jack stands. Offer up beer and burgers to your local audi guys and it should be pretty easy. Just make sure someone has a VAG cable for the rear parking brake.
    2010 S4 Prestige | Phantom Black Pearl | 6MT | loaded
    EPL | 3M | Hoen | Akebono | EuroCollective | Autostyle | US Millworks | Roc-Euro | CTS | Eurocode | CR-15 | TSW | KW | Ziza | Fly Designs
    Click Here --> Link to Build Thread Current Mod list in Post #38

Veteran Member Four Rings DannyDeez's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    12 S4, 16 Q5
    Items for Sale

Hey Guys,

Thank you!
    Just curious, where do you usually take your car up here in Danbury?
    2012 Brilliant Black S4 Prestige, 6 speed (Click for thread)

2016 Monsoon Gray Q5 Prem Plus, Tech, Sport, 19's (Click for thread)

2015 Brilliant Black A3 Cab (Sold)
    2006 Quartz Gray A4, 6 speed (Sold)
    2013 Phantom Black S5, 6 Speed (Sold)
    2001.5 Nogaro S4, 6 Speed (x2) (Sold)

Established Member Two Rings Jay007's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I just did all 4 corners on my Q5 last weekend. Took me about 5 hours all in all including raising the vehicle onto jack stands and beading in the brakes on completion. I have never done the brakes on the Q5 or S4, so there was definitely an added hour or two even for the first time factor here. Taking my time with the e-brake retract through carista and following online guides for both font and back. I have air tools to help with the work but they are useless on the rears due to the angels. Maybe if it was on a lift you could get in there but not on jack stands. I have done about 10-12 brake jobs in my days so f you have never done any add more time yet.

Id say $500 USD is probably a bit high for the labour. I would think 4-5 hours is fair at about $125/hr CDN, which these days works out to around $90/hr US.
    Audi dealership in Calgary quoted me $2,000 CDN for the fronts and back including OE parts, about $700 CDN of that was labour. Ended up buying the same parts wholesale through a mechanic buddy for $650 and saved my the rest (less my weekend time).
    '15 Audi S4 3.0t, Daytona, options: all, chipwerke pro & RS Intake
    '13 Audi Q5 3.0t, ibis white, options: all, stock for now
    '10 Jeep SRT8 - sold
    '06 Charger SRT8 - sold
    '98 GTP - sold

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

That price is nuts. Do it in your driveway, if you have never done it before it is 1hr for the first wheel and then 15 minutes per wheel after that. If you know what your doing it will take max 1.5hrs to do all 4. Before I learned how I took it to a mechanic in my area and he charged me $240 CDN for all 4 corners (Pads and Rotors) I supplied the parts as I went premium rotors and EBC yellowstuff pads which he could not get.
    2010 S4 | Meteor Grey | Premium Package | Audi Drive Select with Quattro Sport Differential | 6MT ||| Upgrades - SS Brake Lines | B8.5 Aluminum Pedals | VMR 710 19x9.5 ET45 w/ 255/35/19 Pirelli P-Zero |

Established Member Two Rings 00passat's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 gmc sierra 2500hd 6.6 dirtymax
    Items for Sale

Book time is 4.1 hours for pads and rotors around. At my shop we would charge $ 348.50 for labor. $500 isn't bad depending on their labor rate.

Veteran Member Three Rings MVR 155's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Audi S4, 2015 GMC Yukon Denali and 2002 Corvette Z06

I think it's high as I can do it myself..... For a person who lacks the tools, space and time it's a bit high but not ridiculous. I think if you shop around you can find a shop that could do it for $300-400. I don't think you are going to find a much better deal unless you know somebody who will do it on the side for you.
    2013 S4/S-Tronic/Ice Silver/Black Alcantera/19" Peelers/B&O/MMI-Navi/Advance Key/Carbon Atlas Inlays/Sports diff.
    2002 Corvette Z06
    2015 GMC Yukon Denali

Veteran Member Three Rings blackjak's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    11 Phantom S4

I just had the stealership do lines, rotors and pads and brake flush for just over $1,000. I didn't pay that I got a hookup from a buddy but none the less that's crazy expensive I found an Indy shop willing to do brakes and rotors /land flush for like 350.

AZ Member #

I decided to use that money and buy the parts I needed to do myself (jack, stands, etc). I had fun doing it and learned some things. Definitely doable if i can do it!

I would make sure the shop knows how to PROPERLY disable the EPB before letting them do the work. Otherwise you might just need to go back for another $500+ job to replace that.
    2014 S4: EPL Stage 1 | ECS Intake | CR15 | 034Motorsport Rear Sway Bar | ECS Trans/Diff Inserts | Mr. Spectacular's 10" Subwoofer Box w/10w6

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Just had mine done on my '13 S4 this morning at an indy shop.

Akebono Pads
    StopTech Slotted Rotors

$340 for labor on all 4 corners. I purchased the materials and brought them in.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Okay, responding to this forum post jinxed me. I took by B7 A4 to my buddy today (former certified Audi Tech) to have the rear pads and rotors replaced and he told me he's moving to Florida! By the way, he charged me $75 for labor for the rears ($150 labor total for front and rears).

Veteran Member Four Rings DannyDeez's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    12 S4, 16 Q5
    Items for Sale

Still curious as to where you bring your car
    2012 Brilliant Black S4 Prestige, 6 speed (Click for thread)

2016 Monsoon Gray Q5 Prem Plus, Tech, Sport, 19's (Click for thread)

2015 Brilliant Black A3 Cab (Sold)
    2006 Quartz Gray A4, 6 speed (Sold)
    2013 Phantom Black S5, 6 Speed (Sold)
    2001.5 Nogaro S4, 6 Speed (x2) (Sold)

AZ Member #

Paid 190 and I provided the parts

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    -MikeDizzzo

2016 S5 Premium Plus | Florett Silver | Black Optic Plus Package | DSG | ADS | Carbon Atlas | B&O

Mods: AWE Touring Exhaust 90mm | Brakes - Hawks Pro with slotted/dimpled rotors | Ceramic Pro 9H | LED interior | 2 x Audizine 5' stickers | Audi All Weather S5 floor mats

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Dude,

Do this yourself, its not hard and it will only take a couple of hours.
    2011 sprint blue s4, EC sub frame stabilizer, ECS short shifter, Euro Impulse weighted shift knob, custom air intake, RS grille, CR-15, 034 rear diff mounts/rear diff carrier mount inserts, Apikol rear diff mount insert, 8mm(f)/12mm(r).

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DannyDeez View Post
    Still curious as to where you bring your car
    Speedsport Tuning - I guess I'll take a look at the DIY's and see if I can really get this done

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Speedsport Tuning - I guess I'll take a look at the DIY's and see if I can really get this done
    Like everyone has said, try to find someone who has the VAG-com to help you out. It takes almost no time. That being said, I did find a youtube video of a guy doing his brakes without it on his B8 A4. There's plenty of how-to's and DIY's with and without VAG-com, it really just depends on how much time you have to get it done. You can easily finish the brakes with a VAG-com by yourself for the first time in under 4 hours. I can't speak for how long it'll take without it, but I'm 100% you can do it yourself. It's a "big job" but realistically, I'd say doing your brakes is just as easy as an oil change.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Is there anyone near you from the Zine that would be willing to help you out this first time you try it for beer and a meal?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Ford Mustang 2.3 ecoboost 6mt; 2004 Ford Exploder (as my wife calls it) V6, 7 passenger

Glad this was posted - I've got quotes of ~550$ for fronts/rears, braided line and flush; and, 640$. Thinking about doing it myself as I've got the VAG to disable the rear parking brake and I just ordered the 3 litre shaben suction thingy. Car only has 55k miles, so I'm not expected rust/grime to be a significant issue. I've done brakes a few times - neither of which were in the last 20+ years. I think the first set of brakes I did were on my first car (1979 Ford Fairmont station wagon) and the second... can't remember, maybe one of the Focuses? In any case, seems like it is pretty straight forward and probably worth a day to avoid spending the 500+$ (assuming I can find a day to do it). Couple of questions: 1) What are we talking about for seating and what not, doesn't that happen automatically if you don't abuse the brakes during breakin? 2) Any trick to replacing the brake lines (I think they are calling them "hoses") 3) I also bought a set of PS4S I need to get installed and the car hasn't had an alignment since I bought it new November of 2011... I figure it's due. I'm assuming it is best to do the alignment after the rotors have been replaced (and obviously after the new tires are on), do the rotors make a difference in the alignment? Contemplating just getting the tires mounted and balanced and taking my time on the brakes as they aren't desperate at this point (although certainly in the realm of should consider doing). thx

Senior Member Three Rings Moto One's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 Z06 (going on 17 years)

OP, you can buy a VAG type tool that will read codes, and dose the e-brake (I think I paid $59 on Amazon), there are as noted plenty of DIYs here and YouTube to guide you. It's good to get to know how to do things like this. By the way how much per-hr do you make? Now pay your self the shop rate.

I just did mine (4th time) and it only gets easier.

Mark.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by doughboy17 View Post
    Is there anyone near you from the Zine that would be willing to help you out this first time you try it for beer and a meal?
    Read post # 18.

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I used to think changing out the brakes was scary until I did it. Got tired of paying labor for pad swaps and rotors etc for tracking the vehicle. Only kicker like others have mentioned is the vag com (very useful to own for other reasons as well though). Takes about an hour to do all 4 rotors and pads in my garage. With no practice, maybe 2.
    2014 Audi S4 Monsoon Gray, APR Stage 2, APR Intake, APR Intercooler, OZ Alleggeratas, Pilot Sport Cup 2, Stoptech BBK, 034 Rear Sway bar, Carbotech XP10 / XP8 pads