Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 55
  1. #1
    Active Member Two Rings Goned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2017
    AZ Member #
    389767
    Location
    Canada

    Q5 tune stage 3.0T

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi here,

    I am looking for maybe install a tune stage 1 for my Q5 3.0T.

    Which brand you advice ?

    - APR ?
    - Unitronic ?
    - Revo ?
    - GIAC ?
    - ....

    I would like a tune with connect system to put myselft STOCK if i have to go to the dealer for warranty.

    Thanks for your reply

    Bye
    Last edited by Goned; 04-19-2017 at 06:50 PM.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Active Member Two Rings Goned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2017
    AZ Member #
    389767
    Location
    Canada

    Q5 chip stage 3.0T

    Quote Originally Posted by One Nice Audi View Post
    Epl.
    Thanks but EPL dealer is available in Canada ? And what is specific stage 1 power gains ?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Three Rings One Nice Audi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 19 2004
    AZ Member #
    711
    Location
    Massachusetts

    I'm sure they're available worldwide. Just search up.

  5. #5
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 24 2016
    AZ Member #
    379249
    Location
    Wausau, WI

    All the tunes are almost identical. The gains for stage one should push your car to around 400hp 370tq. Every car is different. EPL is the cheapest, and best bang for your money if u want to return your tune to stock while flashing at home.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Four Rings q5 dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 15 2014
    AZ Member #
    303164
    Location
    driving

    EPL or GIAC
    2013 Q5 3.0T Phantom Black
    2013 A8L 4.0T Phantom Black

    IG @q5ds

  7. #7
    Active Member Two Rings Goned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2017
    AZ Member #
    389767
    Location
    Canada

    Unitronic stage 1 is 390hp
    APR stage 1 is 425hp

    So is not almost identical....

  8. #8
    Senior Member Four Rings riceboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 26 2015
    AZ Member #
    322788
    My Garage
    2015 Audi SQ5, Felt F65x
    Location
    New York, NY

    If you have to have the ability to flash back to stock at home, I believe that eliminates APR and GIAC as options. It's not a big deal for me personally as dealer trips are rare. EPL and Unitronic offer that option though.

    From purely a performance standpoint, there's honestly not enough difference between any of them in real world use for anyone to make a real argument that one or the other is better.
    Current
    2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TFSI (Build Thread | Flickr | Instagram)

    Past
    2006 Lexus IS350 | 2001 Audi S4 | 2000 Honda S2000 | 1999 Yamaha YZF-R6 | 1995 Acura Integra GS-R

  9. #9
    Established Member Two Rings poncho@home's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 22 2014
    AZ Member #
    290121
    My Garage
    '04 BMW 330Cic, '11 Subaru Legacy
    Location
    Canada

    Unitronic in Canada, don't know what they charge in the US, is the cheapest tune for the 3.0T at $1100 CDN ($815 USD)

    Not saying its the best tune, but strictly financially, it is the cheapest. I know in the past EPL offered there tune discounted for Black Friday at $699. That was a good deal!

    I am also looking at the different tune options, but my Q5 is mainly my wife's driver and our weekend family hauler, so I don't know if its worth it to me to spend that kind of money on a tune for it. Maybe after tax season (May 1 in Canada), if my wallet isn't too hurt, I'll consider it more seriously.
    2013 Audi Q5 3.0T Quattro S-line, Nav/MMI, B&O, Pano
    2004 BMW 330Cic 6 spd manual
    2011 Subaru Legacy 6 spd manual

  10. #10
    Active Member Two Rings Goned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2017
    AZ Member #
    389767
    Location
    Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by poncho@home View Post
    Unitronic in Canada, don't know what they charge in the US, is the cheapest tune for the 3.0T at $1100 CDN ($815 USD)

    Not saying its the best tune, but strictly financially, it is the cheapest. I know in the past EPL offered there tune discounted for Black Friday at $699. That was a good deal!

    I am also looking at the different tune options, but my Q5 is mainly my wife's driver and our weekend family hauler, so I don't know if its worth it to me to spend that kind of money on a tune for it. Maybe after tax season (May 1 in Canada), if my wallet isn't too hurt, I'll consider it more seriously.
    Yes after tax season too :D lol I think to go with Unitronic with Uniconnect.

  11. #11
    Established Member Two Rings Jay007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05 2013
    AZ Member #
    122565
    Location
    Calgary

    Given that your looking to be able to go back to stock and not void warranty, Chipwerke is also a good option.

    Other 3.0T Q5ís have reported test results of a full second off 0-60 times and two seconds off 0-100.

    50-60 WHP gains over stock puts it into the 400-410 range crank and itís the cheapest of all options at around $500 CDN.

    I currently have one on my S4 and Iím happy with the performance of it over about 2 months of use. Iíve yet to try it on my Q5 but think the gains would be even more drastic on the Q5 (due to the higher level of engine de-tuning in stock form in the Q5).

    The downside with it is its less flexible for further modifications down the road as its essentially just a piggyback / old school chip, not a tune like the others mentioned here.
    '15 Audi S4 3.0t, Daytona, options: all, chipwerke pro & RS Intake
    '13 Audi Q5 3.0t, ibis white, options: all, stock for now
    '10 Jeep SRT8 - sold
    '06 Charger SRT8 - sold
    '98 GTP - sold

  12. #12
    Established Member Two Rings turbojayc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 11 2015
    AZ Member #
    354905
    Location
    Toronto

    Quote Originally Posted by Goned View Post
    Yes after tax season too :D lol I think to go with Unitronic with Uniconnect.
    I have Unitronic Stage 2+. Simply put; BADASS!
    2016 SQ5 - Mythos Black
    H&R Sport Springs | ECS Spacers | CTS Turbo CAI | Black Optics | Custom Catback Exhaust | 22" Niche Targa M130 | RS Grill | Unitronic Stage 2+ with Pulley |

  13. #13
    Active Member Two Rings Goned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2017
    AZ Member #
    389767
    Location
    Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay007 View Post
    Given that your looking to be able to go back to stock and not void warranty, Chipwerke is also a good option.

    Other 3.0T Q5ís have reported test results of a full second off 0-60 times and two seconds off 0-100.

    50-60 WHP gains over stock puts it into the 400-410 range crank and itís the cheapest of all options at around $500 CDN.

    I currently have one on my S4 and Iím happy with the performance of it over about 2 months of use. Iíve yet to try it on my Q5 but think the gains would be even more drastic on the Q5 (due to the higher level of engine de-tuning in stock form in the Q5).

    The downside with it is its less flexible for further modifications down the road as its essentially just a piggyback / old school chip, not a tune like the others mentioned here.
    I'm not interest by piggyback, because the gain is too low.

    I need more than 350 hp, i think tune is the best choice with possibility to restore the stock tune.

    Quote Originally Posted by turbojayc View Post
    I have Unitronic Stage 2+. Simply put; BADASS!
    For the first want only stage 1, because i don't have 93 octane :( just 91 octane....so stage 1 is the best choice,

    The stage 1+ and 2 is better with 93

  14. #14
    Established Member Two Rings poncho@home's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 22 2014
    AZ Member #
    290121
    My Garage
    '04 BMW 330Cic, '11 Subaru Legacy
    Location
    Canada

    FWIW, I had a Chipwerke on my Q5 last summer. It dropped my 1/4 mile ETs from 14.2 - 13.7 same day at the track and further lower a couple of weeks later to 13.3 at a different track. I was very pleased with the performance and had zero issues with it while I ran it. In hindsight I might have sold it too soon, but I got all my money back from it, so I was pleased.
    2013 Audi Q5 3.0T Quattro S-line, Nav/MMI, B&O, Pano
    2004 BMW 330Cic 6 spd manual
    2011 Subaru Legacy 6 spd manual

  15. #15
    Senior Member Four Rings PreciseD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 05 2014
    AZ Member #
    143391
    My Garage
    2004 Audi A4 2.0BAT, 2014 Q5 3.0T, 2014 VW Passat Sport, 2005 A4 USP Avant 1.8BT
    Location
    Orange County NY
    Items for Sale

    No matter what tune you get it will void your warranty and get your TD1 flagged... Just keep that in mind..
    ----- My EFR 7670 Build Thread ----- "The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln -----

  16. #16
    Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 06 2007
    AZ Member #
    20887
    Location
    CT

    Quote Originally Posted by PreciseD View Post
    No matter what tune you get it will void your warranty and get your TD1 flagged... Just keep that in mind..
    If the car is not returned to stock before taking it to the dealer....

    Also TD1 doesn't automatically = Voided Warranty. It simply means tuning has been performed and will be taken in to consideration when a warranty claim is filed.
    Tony Chick
    European Performance Labs
    Tony@eplabs.net
    203.345.6499
    Friend us on Facebook!

    2018 Audi S4 : 1985 Audi URQ : 1976 VW Westfalia : 2014 Q7

  17. #17
    Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 06 2007
    AZ Member #
    20887
    Location
    CT

    Quote Originally Posted by Goned View Post
    Hi here,

    I am looking for maybe install a tune stage 1 for my Q5 3.0T.

    Which brand you advice ?

    - APR ?
    - Unitronic ?
    - Revo ?
    - GIAC ?
    - ....

    I would like a tune with connect system to put myselft STOCK if i have to go to the dealer for warranty.

    Thanks for your reply

    Bye
    Let us know how we can help!!
    Tony Chick
    European Performance Labs
    Tony@eplabs.net
    203.345.6499
    Friend us on Facebook!

    2018 Audi S4 : 1985 Audi URQ : 1976 VW Westfalia : 2014 Q7

  18. #18
    Senior Member Four Rings riceboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 26 2015
    AZ Member #
    322788
    My Garage
    2015 Audi SQ5, Felt F65x
    Location
    New York, NY

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony@EPL View Post
    If the car is not returned to stock before taking it to the dealer....

    Also TD1 doesn't automatically = Voided Warranty. It simply means tuning has been performed and will be taken in to consideration when a warranty claim is filed.
    +1

    I was in the process of writing that I think the majority of tuned cars out there have not been flagged TD1 (at least based on anecdotal evidence). There are only a handful of threads I've read where people were flagged TD1 and couldn't figure out why.
    Current
    2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TFSI (Build Thread | Flickr | Instagram)

    Past
    2006 Lexus IS350 | 2001 Audi S4 | 2000 Honda S2000 | 1999 Yamaha YZF-R6 | 1995 Acura Integra GS-R

  19. #19
    Senior Member Four Rings PreciseD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 05 2014
    AZ Member #
    143391
    My Garage
    2004 Audi A4 2.0BAT, 2014 Q5 3.0T, 2014 VW Passat Sport, 2005 A4 USP Avant 1.8BT
    Location
    Orange County NY
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony@EPL View Post
    If the car is not returned to stock before taking it to the dealer....

    Also TD1 doesn't automatically = Voided Warranty. It simply means tuning has been performed and will be taken in to consideration when a warranty claim is filed.
    So does your "stock" flash reset flash counter and checksum? Is it detectable at the dealer like the APR one is (even though they said it wasn't)?
    ----- My EFR 7670 Build Thread ----- "The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln -----

  20. #20
    Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 06 2007
    AZ Member #
    20887
    Location
    CT

    Quote Originally Posted by PreciseD View Post
    So does your "stock" flash reset flash counter and checksum? Is it detectable at the dealer like the APR one is (even though they said it wasn't)?
    Currently the flash counter is NOT tied to TD1 and yes the checksum will match.... its an actual OEM file.
    Tony Chick
    European Performance Labs
    Tony@eplabs.net
    203.345.6499
    Friend us on Facebook!

    2018 Audi S4 : 1985 Audi URQ : 1976 VW Westfalia : 2014 Q7

  21. #21
    Veteran Member Three Rings azndrunk74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 22 2004
    AZ Member #
    786
    Location
    Bay Area

    Go with EPL. They know their shi* and don't fool around when it comes to matching your stock OEM file.
    2009 E92 | DCT | Space Grey | Extended Fox Red | RDSport Springs | Vorsteiner VFF-103 | ACM Mod | EAS 80mm Exhaust Tips | Macht Schnell Test Pipes | Forcewerkz Skirts | 1x1 Challenge Race Diffuser | Dinmann Extensions | OEM GTS Splitter | M Performance Spoiler | M Performance Wheel | Verstrabe DCT Paddles | Edition Grills & Gills | GTS Tune | ZCP EDC coding | ZCP Struts & Shocks | Alpine Catless Coding

    2016 Q5 3.0T | Ibis White | S-Line | Tech | Sports | Black Optics |

  22. #22
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 14 2012
    AZ Member #
    89949
    Location
    Barboursville, WV

    So what are the hp and torque numbers for EPL Stage I?
    2015 Audi []SQ5
    Sepang Blue--Black/Lunar Silver
    [P+/MMI Nav+/B&O/21" Gloss BLACK SQ5 rims/Black Optic/ECodes/Eurocode Sways/Alu Kreuz/Bilstein PSS10 Coils/Brembo BBK/Stop Tech Rotors/ECS 17.5 Spacers/CF Mirrors, Door Handles, Engine Bay/Interior bits, AWE S-Flo CF Intake/034 Inlet hose/MagnaFlow Exhaust/EPL Stage I tune/VCDS]

  23. #23

  24. #24
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Dec 21 2015
    AZ Member #
    366178
    Location
    SF

    APR, GIAC and EPL seem to be the most popular. Pick any one of those FTW.

  25. #25
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 14 2012
    AZ Member #
    89949
    Location
    Barboursville, WV

    Quote Originally Posted by One Nice Audi View Post
    Number varies.
    Don't they have a Dyno like other tuners?

    That says (Stage 1, 93 octane, exhaust, intake)
    Here are your HP and torque gains.

    Everyone else has one.
    Honestly I'd love to pull the trigger on this if I could flash at home and convert back.
    But it's not worth it if it only gives me 380hp vs my stock SQ. If it gets me 425HP, then I'd do it.
    But I have to know ahead of time. I'm not running logs and doing dynos to find out. I want to know before I buy.

    I had APR on my last Q, but it was a hassle as the closest place was 3 hrs away.
    I want convenience at home. But I don't want something I have to test.

    APR shows 93 octane
    Stage 1: 449hp, 388 ft-lb torque.

    Tell me what you have EPL so I can decide.
    Last edited by ThunderDent; 04-21-2017 at 03:47 AM.
    2015 Audi []SQ5
    Sepang Blue--Black/Lunar Silver
    [P+/MMI Nav+/B&O/21" Gloss BLACK SQ5 rims/Black Optic/ECodes/Eurocode Sways/Alu Kreuz/Bilstein PSS10 Coils/Brembo BBK/Stop Tech Rotors/ECS 17.5 Spacers/CF Mirrors, Door Handles, Engine Bay/Interior bits, AWE S-Flo CF Intake/034 Inlet hose/MagnaFlow Exhaust/EPL Stage I tune/VCDS]

  26. #26
    Senior Member Four Rings riceboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 26 2015
    AZ Member #
    322788
    My Garage
    2015 Audi SQ5, Felt F65x
    Location
    New York, NY

    I'm sure someone from EPL will chime in, but they do have a dyno but don't publish official advertised numbers based on it from what I've seen. I'm assuming it has to do with the fact that there are so many variables in play with the car, the dyno, and the conditions. If you take a look at the S4/S5 1/4 mile database AR though you'll see their cars are right in the mix, so it's safe to say the power numbers will be in line with APR and GIAC.

    EPL will also customize their tunes based on your logging. I won't get into the debate on that again, but I'll just say that for some people that's great and for others it's too leading edge.
    Current
    2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TFSI (Build Thread | Flickr | Instagram)

    Past
    2006 Lexus IS350 | 2001 Audi S4 | 2000 Honda S2000 | 1999 Yamaha YZF-R6 | 1995 Acura Integra GS-R

  27. #27
    Established Member Two Rings buggravy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 25 2016
    AZ Member #
    375045
    Location
    Calabasas, CA

    In an effort to resist temptation I haven't followed the tuning discussions all that closely, but my overriding impression is that EPL is providing the best solution for undetectability. Not referring to the flash at home convenience, but the actual ability to appear stock to the mother ship. Is that impression pretty accurate, or is everyone pretty much in the same boat?
    '16 SQ5 - Sepang Blue w/Black Optics - BBS CH-R 20X10.5 w/DWS06 295 | Magnaflow | 034 RSB, endlinks, X-brace, drivetrain inserts | ROW suspension | TAG blackout badges

  28. #28
    Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Chris@EPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 23 2011
    AZ Member #
    77278
    Location
    CT

    Well every dyno is different and most other companies quote crank HP and that all depends on what conversion factors they use. Most B8/B8.5 S4s on our in house low reading Mustang Dyno make about 270-280whp and stage 1 93 is about 345whp and stage 2 93 is about 375whp with SQ5s being a little higher as well. Stage 1 adds a solid 75-90whp. Right now we have a couple Q5/SQ5 stage 1 and stage 2 tunes available at a price too low to advertise. PM if interested, not sure how long these will last.
    European Performance Labs
    http://www.facebook.com/EPLabs
    https://www.instagram.com/eplabs/
    (203-345-6499)
    Chris@eplabs.net

    Please feel free to contact us with any questions!!

  29. #29
    Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 06 2007
    AZ Member #
    20887
    Location
    CT

    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDent View Post
    Don't they have a Dyno like other tuners?

    That says (Stage 1, 93 octane, exhaust, intake)
    Here are your HP and torque gains.

    Everyone else has one.
    Honestly I'd love to pull the trigger on this if I could flash at home and convert back.
    But it's not worth it if it only gives me 380hp vs my stock SQ. If it gets me 425HP, then I'd do it.
    But I have to know ahead of time. I'm not running logs and doing dynos to find out. I want to know before I buy.

    I had APR on my last Q, but it was a hassle as the closest place was 3 hrs away.
    I want convenience at home. But I don't want something I have to test.

    APR shows 93 octane
    Stage 1: 449hp, 388 ft-lb torque.

    Tell me what you have EPL so I can decide.
    Of course we have a dyno... but for the most part we view it as a TUNING TOOL only and not a MARKETING MACHINE. You will occasional see us post a dyno sheet, but generally speaking they shouldn't be used for a sole basis to buy a tune...

    At this stage in the game power figures (especially those posted in crank hp #'s) are purely for marketing purposes only. Most/all tuners mentioned in here are most likely with in a handful of HP"s of one another at the stage 1 power level and their advertised power can vary by 10-20 hps. Chris posted above some general wheel hp results and even these can vary greatly based on car condition, other modification and even atmospheric conditions.

    I urge people to buy tunes based on customer reviews, features and just over all fitness for your needs. (For example you mentioned 3 hour drives to get flashed... are you willing to do 6 hours round trip if you have to go back to stock? If not EPL seems like an easy choice).

    Don't also forget to fully review current offering and future upgrades (think e85, dual pulley, water injection support, etc).
    Tony Chick
    European Performance Labs
    Tony@eplabs.net
    203.345.6499
    Friend us on Facebook!

    2018 Audi S4 : 1985 Audi URQ : 1976 VW Westfalia : 2014 Q7

  30. #30
    Senior Member Four Rings riceboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 26 2015
    AZ Member #
    322788
    My Garage
    2015 Audi SQ5, Felt F65x
    Location
    New York, NY

    Quote Originally Posted by buggravy View Post
    In an effort to resist temptation I haven't followed the tuning discussions all that closely, but my overriding impression is that EPL is providing the best solution for undetectability. Not referring to the flash at home convenience, but the actual ability to appear stock to the mother ship. Is that impression pretty accurate, or is everyone pretty much in the same boat?
    They're all pretty much the same. They all restore your exact original stock file down to the box code and version. I suspect some of the people have gotten flagged after flashing back to stock may not have gotten the correct version flashed back, but that's pure speculation on my part and shouldn't happen if everything is done correctly. FWIW, APR also resets your flash counter. EPL doesn't, but as Tony mentioned above, it's not currently part of what the system check for TD1 looks for. Your service advisor can see that information though.

    If you're serious about tuning, the best thing I can advise is to make sure you have a good relationship with your service department.
    Current
    2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TFSI (Build Thread | Flickr | Instagram)

    Past
    2006 Lexus IS350 | 2001 Audi S4 | 2000 Honda S2000 | 1999 Yamaha YZF-R6 | 1995 Acura Integra GS-R

  31. #31
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 14 2012
    AZ Member #
    89949
    Location
    Barboursville, WV

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@EPL View Post
    Well every dyno is different and most other companies quote crank HP and that all depends on what conversion factors they use. Most B8/B8.5 S4s on our in house low reading Mustang Dyno make about 270-280whp and stage 1 93 is about 345whp and stage 2 93 is about 375whp with SQ5s being a little higher as well. Stage 1 adds a solid 75-90whp. Right now we have a couple Q5/SQ5 stage 1 and stage 2 tunes available at a price too low to advertise. PM if interested, not sure how long these will last.
    PM in your inbox.
    2015 Audi []SQ5
    Sepang Blue--Black/Lunar Silver
    [P+/MMI Nav+/B&O/21" Gloss BLACK SQ5 rims/Black Optic/ECodes/Eurocode Sways/Alu Kreuz/Bilstein PSS10 Coils/Brembo BBK/Stop Tech Rotors/ECS 17.5 Spacers/CF Mirrors, Door Handles, Engine Bay/Interior bits, AWE S-Flo CF Intake/034 Inlet hose/MagnaFlow Exhaust/EPL Stage I tune/VCDS]

  32. #32
    Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 06 2007
    AZ Member #
    20887
    Location
    CT

    Quote Originally Posted by riceboy22 View Post
    They're all pretty much the same. They all restore your exact original stock file down to the box code and version. I suspect some of the people have gotten flagged after flashing back to stock may not have gotten the correct version flashed back, but that's pure speculation on my part and shouldn't happen if everything is done correctly. FWIW, APR also resets your flash counter. EPL doesn't, but as Tony mentioned above, it's not currently part of what the system check for TD1 looks for. Your service advisor can see that information though.

    If you're serious about tuning, the best thing I can advise is to make sure you have a good relationship with your service department.
    I would be willing to bet that 99% of service advisers would give you a blank stare when asked how to check the number of times an ECU has been flashed. Service doesn't look into these things that deeply, they just dont. Audi service WANT your warranty work, it generates them nearly as much revenue as a customer paid invoice and keep you happy.... which will sell more cars and service in the long run.
    Tony Chick
    European Performance Labs
    Tony@eplabs.net
    203.345.6499
    Friend us on Facebook!

    2018 Audi S4 : 1985 Audi URQ : 1976 VW Westfalia : 2014 Q7

  33. #33
    Senior Member Four Rings riceboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 26 2015
    AZ Member #
    322788
    My Garage
    2015 Audi SQ5, Felt F65x
    Location
    New York, NY

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony@EPL View Post
    I would be willing to bet that 99% of service advisers would give you a blank stare when asked how to check the number of times an ECU has been flashed. Service doesn't look into these things that deeply, they just dont. Audi service WANT your warranty work, it generates them nearly as much revenue as a customer paid invoice and keep you happy.... which will sell more cars and service in the long run.
    I can't disagree with that for most service departments, but is there a reason you guys don't just go ahead and reset it? It is something they can see in ELSA, and there are certainly service departments that do give tuned cars a hard time.
    Current
    2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TFSI (Build Thread | Flickr | Instagram)

    Past
    2006 Lexus IS350 | 2001 Audi S4 | 2000 Honda S2000 | 1999 Yamaha YZF-R6 | 1995 Acura Integra GS-R

  34. #34
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 14 2012
    AZ Member #
    89949
    Location
    Barboursville, WV

    Thanks Chris for working with me.

    Just went Stage 1!

    I'll install it after my service next Friday.
    2015 Audi []SQ5
    Sepang Blue--Black/Lunar Silver
    [P+/MMI Nav+/B&O/21" Gloss BLACK SQ5 rims/Black Optic/ECodes/Eurocode Sways/Alu Kreuz/Bilstein PSS10 Coils/Brembo BBK/Stop Tech Rotors/ECS 17.5 Spacers/CF Mirrors, Door Handles, Engine Bay/Interior bits, AWE S-Flo CF Intake/034 Inlet hose/MagnaFlow Exhaust/EPL Stage I tune/VCDS]

  35. #35
    Established Member Two Rings buggravy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 25 2016
    AZ Member #
    375045
    Location
    Calabasas, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by riceboy22 View Post

    If you're serious about tuning, the best thing I can advise is to make sure you have a good relationship with your service department.
    I'm really on the fence right now. I want it badly, and would only go Stage 1 for now, but am pretty adverse to exposure. I have virtually no relationship with my service department. I'm actually not even sure who MY service department is going to be. Tons of local dealers, but the dealer I bought my car from isn't convenient to me, and their service department isn't particularly well thought of. The dealer that is 5 minutes from me gets probably the worst reviews around, and from the one dealing I've had with them I'm inclined to think they would give me shit. Dealer we bought my wife's car from seems pretty solid, but again, no established relationship. I'm also in a leased car, at only 8K miles right now. Not sure what the ramifications would be of a TD1 at lease turn in, but common sense is probably a good indicator. Having to buy at the end of the lease wouldn't be the end of the world, but I don't like having my hand forced. Sorry for the stream of conscious ramblings.

    '16 SQ5 - Sepang Blue w/Black Optics - BBS CH-R 20X10.5 w/DWS06 295 | Magnaflow | 034 RSB, endlinks, X-brace, drivetrain inserts | ROW suspension | TAG blackout badges

  36. #36
    Senior Member Four Rings riceboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 26 2015
    AZ Member #
    322788
    My Garage
    2015 Audi SQ5, Felt F65x
    Location
    New York, NY

    Q5 chip stage 3.0T

    Quote Originally Posted by buggravy View Post
    I'm really on the fence right now. I want it badly, and would only go Stage 1 for now, but am pretty adverse to exposure. I have virtually no relationship with my service department. I'm actually not even sure who MY service department is going to be. Tons of local dealers, but the dealer I bought my car from isn't convenient to me, and their service department isn't particularly well thought of. The dealer that is 5 minutes from me gets probably the worst reviews around, and from the one dealing I've had with them I'm inclined to think they would give me shit. Dealer we bought my wife's car from seems pretty solid, but again, no established relationship. I'm also in a leased car, at only 8K miles right now. Not sure what the ramifications would be of a TD1 at lease turn in, but common sense is probably a good indicator. Having to buy at the end of the lease wouldn't be the end of the world, but I don't like having my hand forced. Sorry for the stream of conscious ramblings.
    I would just avoid tuned cars like the plague if I were you!

    It's not a deal breaker if you don't find a tuner-friendly service department, but it is nice to know they will do whatever they can to help you avoid TD1. For example, my service department makes sure that the tech doesn't hook up the car for diagnostics when I'm just in for general work. If I do need work that requires the car to be hooked up, then I flash back to stock before the appointment. I would just ask the service department point blank what their position on it is. TBH, they probably already assume you're tuned just based on the wheels and suspension and other mods LOL.

    As far as TD1 goes, there's a lot of sometimes conflicting info out there, but I honestly don't think dealers care on turn-in. I've read a couple of threads that indicate the TD1 flag gets removed when they flash you back to stock and run diagnostics again. One thread said the dealer actually offered to do it for a fee.
    Last edited by riceboy22; 04-21-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    Current
    2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TFSI (Build Thread | Flickr | Instagram)

    Past
    2006 Lexus IS350 | 2001 Audi S4 | 2000 Honda S2000 | 1999 Yamaha YZF-R6 | 1995 Acura Integra GS-R

  37. #37
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 14 2012
    AZ Member #
    89949
    Location
    Barboursville, WV

    My tech told me, the good thing about tunes or VCDS mods is if I fuck something up, all I have to do it take it back to him and he'll just flash it back complete stock.
    2015 Audi []SQ5
    Sepang Blue--Black/Lunar Silver
    [P+/MMI Nav+/B&O/21" Gloss BLACK SQ5 rims/Black Optic/ECodes/Eurocode Sways/Alu Kreuz/Bilstein PSS10 Coils/Brembo BBK/Stop Tech Rotors/ECS 17.5 Spacers/CF Mirrors, Door Handles, Engine Bay/Interior bits, AWE S-Flo CF Intake/034 Inlet hose/MagnaFlow Exhaust/EPL Stage I tune/VCDS]

  38. #38
    Established Member Two Rings poncho@home's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 22 2014
    AZ Member #
    290121
    My Garage
    '04 BMW 330Cic, '11 Subaru Legacy
    Location
    Canada

    This damn thread!!!!

    I just ordered EPL Stage 1 tune.....

    shhhh....the wife can't know ;)
    2013 Audi Q5 3.0T Quattro S-line, Nav/MMI, B&O, Pano
    2004 BMW 330Cic 6 spd manual
    2011 Subaru Legacy 6 spd manual

  39. #39
    Established Member Two Rings buggravy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 25 2016
    AZ Member #
    375045
    Location
    Calabasas, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by riceboy22 View Post
    I would just avoid tuned cars like the plague if I were you!
    That's basically the conclusion I keep coming to myself anytime I consider a tune, just with a little less conviction each time. My resolve is weakening.

  40. #40
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 14 2012
    AZ Member #
    89949
    Location
    Barboursville, WV

    You can't get much worse off than my gun-shy from previous tune issues, to back on board...

    But yeah, this thread and board are bad for all of us.
    Never say never on being done with mods.

    Hell, I've even been thinking about an RS grille. But prob won't.
    2015 Audi []SQ5
    Sepang Blue--Black/Lunar Silver
    [P+/MMI Nav+/B&O/21" Gloss BLACK SQ5 rims/Black Optic/ECodes/Eurocode Sways/Alu Kreuz/Bilstein PSS10 Coils/Brembo BBK/Stop Tech Rotors/ECS 17.5 Spacers/CF Mirrors, Door Handles, Engine Bay/Interior bits, AWE S-Flo CF Intake/034 Inlet hose/MagnaFlow Exhaust/EPL Stage I tune/VCDS]

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2017 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.