Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 55 of 55
  1. #41
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 14 2017
    AZ Member #
    393251
    Location
    Gulfport, MS

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I know it is probably a curse word here, but I'll say it - Chipwerke. I agree it is suboptimal. I would not want to run it permanently. But, it will not affect the stock ECU mapping or reflash count. When removed, no trace of its presence can be detected. It will not produce TD1.

    Does it produce maximum HP? No. Is it smooth in all operating modes. No. In fact, it has definite drivability issues in some part throttle situations on my car. But, it does, in fact, reduce 0-100 mph times by two full seconds. I have not dynoed the car. But, to accomplish that, it must be bumping horsepower by at least 60-70 all wheel hp. This is not insignificant in a car that weights between 4,200 and 4,400 pounds, depending on how otherwise equipped.

    I do consider it a viable TEMPORARY option until you get past the initial service intervals. As it only connects to the QD plugs on the MAP sensors, it can be installed or removed in less than 5 minutes.

    I will definitely move later to a true reflash. But this early in ownership, I want to make sure I have no reflash data on the ECU when it goes to the dealer. When that time comes, I'll disconnect it in advance and drive on stock ECU for at least 50 miles in order for the ECU to relearn the stock fuel trims.
    2017 Q5 3.0T S-Line, Brilliant Black, EPL Stage 1

  2. #42
    Senior Member Three Rings One Nice Audi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 19 2004
    AZ Member #
    711
    Location
    Massachusetts

    My car is getting the pulley put in by my friend.. Well, with other things like coilovers, 034M tran mounts, rear diff, etc..

  3. #43
    Senior Member Four Rings riceboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 26 2015
    AZ Member #
    322788
    My Garage
    2015 Audi SQ5, Felt F65x
    Location
    New York, NY

    Quote Originally Posted by buggravy View Post
    That's basically the conclusion I keep coming to myself anytime I consider a tune, just with a little less conviction each time. My resolve is weakening.
    Just do it! I honestly don't think I could live with being on the stock tune now.

    And you can also go in on a group buy with me for some Brembos at the same time with Mops. He's offering additional discounts lol.
    Current
    2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TFSI (Build Thread | Flickr | Instagram)

    Past
    2006 Lexus IS350 | 2001 Audi S4 | 2000 Honda S2000 | 1999 Yamaha YZF-R6 | 1995 Acura Integra GS-R

  4. #44
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 06 2016
    AZ Member #
    382580
    Location
    CA

    Quote Originally Posted by buggravy View Post
    I'm really on the fence right now. I want it badly, and would only go Stage 1 for now, but am pretty adverse to exposure. I have virtually no relationship with my service department. I'm actually not even sure who MY service department is going to be. Tons of local dealers, but the dealer I bought my car from isn't convenient to me, and their service department isn't particularly well thought of. The dealer that is 5 minutes from me gets probably the worst reviews around, and from the one dealing I've had with them I'm inclined to think they would give me shit. Dealer we bought my wife's car from seems pretty solid, but again, no established relationship. I'm also in a leased car, at only 8K miles right now. Not sure what the ramifications would be of a TD1 at lease turn in, but common sense is probably a good indicator. Having to buy at the end of the lease wouldn't be the end of the world, but I don't like having my hand forced. Sorry for the stream of conscious ramblings.

    Just FYI: Pasadena Audi is pretty good about tuned cars. Everytime I take my/wife's car in my guy asks me "Is the car tuned now?". He makes sure to not f#ck it up.

  5. #45
    Senior Member Four Rings riceboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 26 2015
    AZ Member #
    322788
    My Garage
    2015 Audi SQ5, Felt F65x
    Location
    New York, NY

    Quote Originally Posted by MSq5 View Post
    I know it is probably a curse word here, but I'll say it - Chipwerke. I agree it is suboptimal. I would not want to run it permanently. But, it will not affect the stock ECU mapping or reflash count. When removed, no trace of its presence can be detected. It will not produce TD1.

    Does it produce maximum HP? No. Is it smooth in all operating modes. No. In fact, it has definite drivability issues in some part throttle situations on my car. But, it does, in fact, reduce 0-100 mph times by two full seconds. I have not dynoed the car. But, to accomplish that, it must be bumping horsepower by at least 60-70 all wheel hp. This is not insignificant in a car that weights between 4,200 and 4,400 pounds, depending on how otherwise equipped.

    I do consider it a viable TEMPORARY option until you get past the initial service intervals. As it only connects to the QD plugs on the MAP sensors, it can be installed or removed in less than 5 minutes.

    I will definitely move later to a true reflash. But this early in ownership, I want to make sure I have no reflash data on the ECU when it goes to the dealer. When that time comes, I'll disconnect it in advance and drive on stock ECU for at least 50 miles in order for the ECU to relearn the stock fuel trims.
    I don't think it's a dirty word here, but I also don't think people are necessarily aware of the risk they're taking. I'm personally not comfortable running something that falsifies the information being sent to the ECU. Yeah, the factory safeguards remain in place, but those are setup based on the assumption that accurate data is being sent to the ECU. The Chipwerke is also frankly just way less sophisticated than piggybacks out there for other cars. I get the appeal, but it's just not for me.
    Current
    2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TFSI (Build Thread | Flickr | Instagram)

    Past
    2006 Lexus IS350 | 2001 Audi S4 | 2000 Honda S2000 | 1999 Yamaha YZF-R6 | 1995 Acura Integra GS-R

  6. #46
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 06 2016
    AZ Member #
    382580
    Location
    CA

    Quote Originally Posted by riceboy22 View Post
    Just do it! I honestly don't think I could live with being on the stock tune now.

    And you can also go in on a group buy with me for some Brembos at the same time with Mops. He's offering additional discounts lol.
    So wait... you ARE doing it!

  7. #47
    Established Member Three Rings buggravy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 25 2016
    AZ Member #
    375045
    Location
    Calabasas, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by jaboki View Post
    Just FYI: Pasadena Audi is pretty good about tuned cars. Everytime I take my/wife's car in my guy asks me "Is the car tuned now?". He makes sure to not f#ck it up.
    That's good to know. My wife's car came from Rusnak Westlake, and I would assume having the same owner means the service dept. is run similarly. They're pretty convenient to me, so maybe time to buddy up to them.
    '16 SQ5 - Sepang Blue w/Black Optics - BBS CH-R 20X10.5 w/DWS06 295 | Magnaflow | 034 RSB, endlinks, X-brace, drivetrain inserts | ROW suspension | TAG blackout badges

  8. #48
    Senior Member Four Rings riceboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 26 2015
    AZ Member #
    322788
    My Garage
    2015 Audi SQ5, Felt F65x
    Location
    New York, NY

    Q5 chip stage 3.0T

    Quote Originally Posted by jaboki View Post
    So wait... you ARE doing it!
    Still resisting unless I find a partner!
    Current
    2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TFSI (Build Thread | Flickr | Instagram)

    Past
    2006 Lexus IS350 | 2001 Audi S4 | 2000 Honda S2000 | 1999 Yamaha YZF-R6 | 1995 Acura Integra GS-R

  9. #49
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 06 2016
    AZ Member #
    382580
    Location
    CA

    Quote Originally Posted by buggravy View Post
    That's good to know. My wife's car came from Rusnak Westlake, and I would assume having the same owner means the service dept. is run similarly. They're pretty convenient to me, so maybe time to buddy up to them.
    We actually got the A6 there, as their sales department was awesome to work with. I can't say much about their service because it's out of the way for us to go there. I'm pretty sure I'll get tuned soon since I trust Pasadena's service department. Most of their service guys are all tuned via APR, so I'm pretty sure their cautious about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by riceboy22 View Post
    Still resisting unless I find a partner!
    LOL. I smile everyday as I walk towards my car. ;)

  10. #50
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 24 2016
    AZ Member #
    379249
    Location
    Wausau, WI

    Seriously, I doubt u will not be able to tell the difference if you were to go from APR to EPL to GIAC. Since you want flashing at home, there is no doubt EPL is your best option. EPL customer service on these forums is phenomenal. Just get EPL and get err done....

  11. #51
    Established Member Two Rings Goned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2017
    AZ Member #
    389767
    Location
    Canada

    Q5 chip stage 3.0T

    Unitronics propose also flashing at home. And its Canadian company. I'm Canadian...so i'm thinking about EPL or Unitronics....

  12. #52
    Established Member Three Rings buggravy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 25 2016
    AZ Member #
    375045
    Location
    Calabasas, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by riceboy22 View Post
    And you can also go in on a group buy with me for some Brembos at the same time with Mops. He's offering additional discounts lol.
    If it seems like I'm ignoring this, it's because I'm ignoring this ;-). I'd love to, but the spend is more than I can stomach at the moment.
    '16 SQ5 - Sepang Blue w/Black Optics - BBS CH-R 20X10.5 w/DWS06 295 | Magnaflow | 034 RSB, endlinks, X-brace, drivetrain inserts | ROW suspension | TAG blackout badges

  13. #53
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 26 2015
    AZ Member #
    363553
    Location
    los angeles/ california

    I have an EPL tune for sale right now

  14. #54
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 13 2013
    AZ Member #
    111256
    Location
    Chicago Western burbs, Il

    Quote Originally Posted by Goned View Post
    Unitronics propose also flashing at home. And its Canadian company. I'm Canadian...so i'm thinking about EPL or Unitronics....
    Looks like you have a couple options for epl

    - Someone selling theirs - fyi there is a transfer fee

    - epl has a private sale this weekend. pm chris to get pricing.

    Good luck with your decision!

  15. #55
    Established Member Two Rings Goned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2017
    AZ Member #
    389767
    Location
    Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by rault18 View Post
    I have an EPL tune for sale right now
    How much ?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2017 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.