Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '09 B8 A4 2.0t quattro '15 Q5 3.0T
    Items for Sale

2.0tfsi timing chain

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So does Audi of America have an official stance on the pre-2013 2.0 tfsi timing chain problems floating out there?

I've read a few articles in law journals about class action lawsuits that are underway in New Jersey and Florida (more recently) regarding the multiple design changes that have been made to the timing chain tensioner.

I understand answering these questions is probably a sticky proposition for Audi given the ongoing legal proceedings, but specifically I'd like to know:

1. Does Audi have an updated recommendation on timing chain and/or tensioner and/or guide related maintenance, given the apparent problems?
    2. Is preventative replacement of the above parts something Audi is willing to provide free of charge?
    3. If the current Audi-prescribed maintenance actions/intervals are followed, and the tensioner problem causes the chain to jump timing and tear up a motor before 100k, is Audi going to step in?

Audi Customer Experience Three Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I would like to discuss your questions and concerns further. Expect a private message from me.
    Vincenzo F.

Audi Social Community Manager

Veteran Member Four Rings shonseb's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '16 Audi A4 P+ competition plus, '15 Audi A3, '05 Camry

I'm glad this topic was brought up as it seems to be a recurring problem with the B8 A4, A5 2.0tfsi. Also curious to know if this affects the B8.5's as well (seeing as I own one).

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '09 B8 A4 2.0t quattro '15 Q5 3.0T
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by shonseb View Post
    I'm glad this topic was brought up as it seems to be a recurring problem with the B8 A4, A5 2.0tfsi. Also curious to know if this affects the B8.5's as well (seeing as I own one).
    I'm almost certain you're OK. They had multiple redesigns of the tensioner by 2013. Most reports I've seen are 2012 and earlier.

Audi Customer Experience Three Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by shonseb View Post
    Hi, if you are currently experiencing a vehicle concern, I would recommend having a formal diagnosis at an Audi dealership. I would be happy to discuss any questions you may have. Please send me a private message with your full name, VIN, and contact info.
    Vincenzo F.

Audi Social Community Manager

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

In a similar boat. I replaced mine as preventative maintenance due to the high failure rate. I suppose we will have to wait and see about the class action and if reimbursement will be provided.

Senior Member Three Rings CONative's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 Subaru Outback, '98 Go-Ped Bigfoot

Quote Originally Posted by elscotto80 View Post
    In a similar boat. I replaced mine as preventative maintenance due to the high failure rate. I suppose we will have to wait and see about the class action and if reimbursement will be provided.
    I plan on doing mine preventatively as I have one of the first model B8's (delivery 08/2008) but curious what will happen as a result of the lawsuit. I'm hopeful because I had a similar situation on my Honda Accord and Honda just asked for the repair receipts and I had a check 3 weeks later.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Cheers,
    Ry-man

BRILLIANT Red B8 Avant