Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings deucescorner's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Audi Q3 S-Line Tecnik Black Optics

TD1 and unrelated warranty coverage claims.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello everyone I figured this would be the best place to discuss the cause and effect of being flagged for TD1. I'm hoping that this will give Audi of America as well as Audi Canada to clarify what aspects of warranty are no longer viable when flagged for TD1.

I believe that for there to be mutual respect between both owners and dealers there needs to be further clarification as well as a logical explanation or reason for voiding certain aspects of vehicle warranty as a result of modifications.

For example, today I brought my car in for service because my airbag light randomly went on for the last week, now I've already been flag for TD1 because of my tune but the service manager told me that they have to request authorization to cover the defect causing the airbag light to go on. Now I'm no expert and I understand policy, but in no way can I see a relation between my airbag light going on as a result of my vehicle being tuned.

I have accepted that if there are any issues with the engine/transmission or more recently the cats malfunctioning then those can be easily justified to be malfunctioning as a result of the modifications as noted by the TD1 flag.

I'm still waiting to find out if I will be covered since the car is still within the range of factory warranty, at least what's left of it lol. My point is, shouldn't it be obvious that there is no relation between the tune causing my airbag light to come on or even any other unrelated malfunctions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by deucescorner; 04-17-2017 at 11:55 AM.
    2013 Audi A7 S-line (current)
    2016 Audi Q3 S-Line (wife)
    2005 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T Stage II (SOLD)
    2001 BMW 325ci Convertible (SOLD)
    2000 Audi A6 2.7T (SOLD)

Veteran Member Four Rings EuroxS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 GSXR 600

From what I remember TD1 flag indicates no coverage on the powertrain.I dont see why they would question a airbag light.Makes no sense to me.
    VW/Audi Immobilizer removal and immobilizer adapting solutions for any and all VAG Vehicle.As well as SKC/Pin retrieval services.Located in Northern NJ.For inquries pm for details.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Update* got the car back, was a faulty connector. No charges

2000 Audi A6 2.7T (SOLD)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EuroxS4 View Post
    From what I remember TD1 flag indicates no coverage on the powertrain.I dont see why they would question a airbag light.Makes no sense to me.
    That's exactly what I was telling them.

2000 Audi A6 2.7T (SOLD)

Audi Customer Experience Three Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by deucescorner View Post
    Hello everyone I figured this would be the best place to discuss the cause and effect of being flagged for TD1. I'm hoping that this will give Audi of America as well as Audi Canada to clarify what aspects of warranty are no longer viable when flagged for TD1.

I believe that for there to be mutual respect between both owners and dealers there needs to be further clarification as well as a logical explanation or reason for voiding certain aspects of vehicle warranty as a result of modifications.

For example, today I brought my car in for service because my airbag light randomly went on for the last week, now I've already been flag for TD1 because of my tune but the service manager told me that they have to request authorization to cover the defect causing the airbag light to go on. Now I'm no expert and I understand policy, but in no way can I see a relation between my airbag light going on as a result of my vehicle being tuned.

I have accepted that if there are any issues with the engine/transmission or more recently the cats malfunctioning then those can be easily justified to be malfunctioning as a result of the modifications as noted by the TD1 flag.

I'm still waiting to find out if I will be covered since the car is still within the range of factory warranty, at least what's left of it lol. My point is, shouldn't it be obvious that there is no relation between the tune causing my airbag light to come on or even any other unrelated malfunctions?

I’m very glad to hear that your concern was addressed under the standard warranty. In order to better assist you with your previous questions, can you please clarify whether your vehicle is a U.S. or Canadian spec. Audi?
    Vincenzo F.

Audi Social Community Manager

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Audi USA View Post
    I’m very glad to hear that your concern was addressed under the standard warranty. In order to better assist you with your previous questions, can you please clarify whether your vehicle is a U.S. or Canadian spec. Audi?
    It is a Canadian spec

2000 Audi A6 2.7T (SOLD)

AZ Member #

Thanks. You may contact our colleagues at Audi Canada to provide you additional info on this topic, http://www.audi.ca/ca/web/en.html#la...r/contact.html. For customers that own a U.S. spec vehicle, I would recommend taking the vehicle to an Audi dealership for a formal diagnosis. An Audi dealership would be in the best position to determine if an alteration to the original engineering such as suspension or performance modification would void any vehicle warranties. In addition, an Audi dealership is able to contact resources within Audi of America. You may reference your vehicle’s Warranty and Maintenance Manual for additional info.
    Last edited by Audi USA; 04-24-2017 at 08:48 AM.
    Vincenzo F.

Established Member Two Rings Redd's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Deuce-
    What Mike certainly should be aware of, because every US auto maker, distributor, and dealer is aware of it, is that in the US there are federal warranty laws that say consistently "Unless you can prove the customer'smodifications broke that car, the warranty still applies and you're gonna honor it, or pappa spank."
    It might be different in Canada, but that's the law in the US. Upheld in all the states, all the federal circuit courts, all the federal superior courts. The courts got tired of car makers trying to play from a position of power and duck out of claims, long ago.
    So, perhaps your tune could make the ECU go crazy and trip an air bag warning light. Audi could have argued that--but arguing a possibility is not the same as coming to court with PROOF of incontestable cause and effect, and that's our legal standard here in the Colonies.

Oddly enough, the car makers (the warrantors) could only gain some respect if they'd just come out and stop pretending otherwise.

I know that whenever my dealer has said "Let me see if we can warranty that" and gotten something covered without debating how many angels were dancing on the head of the pin, it has only won my loyalty and respect for them. (And "my dealer" is not the patronizing clowns that sold the car to me.)
    It followed me home. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Herr Doktor Strangelove is a mildly psychotic German on four wheels, sometimes mistaken for a 2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus 2.0.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Redd View Post
    Deuce-
    What Mike certainly should be aware of, because every US auto maker, distributor, and dealer is aware of it, is that in the US there are federal warranty laws that say consistently "Unless you can prove the customer'smodifications broke that car, the warranty still applies and you're gonna honor it, or pappa spank."
    It might be different in Canada, but that's the law in the US. Upheld in all the states, all the federal circuit courts, all the federal superior courts. The courts got tired of car makers trying to play from a position of power and duck out of claims, long ago.
    So, perhaps your tune could make the ECU go crazy and trip an air bag warning light. Audi could have argued that--but arguing a possibility is not the same as coming to court with PROOF of incontestable cause and effect, and that's our legal standard here in the Colonies.

Oddly enough, the car makers (the warrantors) could only gain some respect if they'd just come out and stop pretending otherwise.

I know that whenever my dealer has said "Let me see if we can warranty that" and gotten something covered without debating how many angels were dancing on the head of the pin, it has only won my loyalty and respect for them. (And "my dealer" is not the patronizing clowns that sold the car to me.)
    Hey man,

Thanks for stating that I'll definitely keep this in mind the next time I encounter a similar situation. I'm pretty sure there are also similar laws in place here as well to protect the consumer.

Cheers

2000 Audi A6 2.7T (SOLD)

Established Member Two Rings Redd's Avatar
    AZ Member #

In the US, I know the court rulings go back to the 1960's and very early 70's. Detroit used to tell people "If you don't let the dealer do your oil changes, you have no engine warranty." And in fact they'd try to walk away from a defective engine if you didn't have the dealer oil changes in your maintenance log or receipts. Well, "papa slapped" and kept oin slapping when they found the same game being played in other ways. Eventually we got the Magnusson Moss Act and some other express federal legislation, which most folks have no idea even exist. And the dealers continue to say things like "Well if you put in a third party alarm system you will void your warranty." Nevermind that they often job it out to the same people, or that the jobbers who install aftermarket radios (for a while, car manufacturers were also banned from all the proprietary radio systems they use now) did twist-n-tape jobs instead of proper wiring.

We used to have a saying in the canyons of Manhattan: "Stop ****ing on my head and telling me it is just raining."

Or as PTBarnum said (and he wrote a lot on "business", a lot online for free now) "Never insult the rubes, they might go away and not come back." He knew where his profits came from.

Of course the shop writer who proudly told me the roof rack wrench was a Torx wrench, probably had no idea that this peon knew what a Torx wrench was, and he'd just proven to me that shop was not to be trusted with opening a bottle of water.

Sadly not unique to any car maker, or any line of business these days.
    It followed me home. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Herr Doktor Strangelove is a mildly psychotic German on four wheels, sometimes mistaken for a 2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus 2.0.

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

To AoA:

I am considering purchasing an Eventuri Intake System to add to an otherwise bone stock RS5 and am wondering what your official stance is regarding future warranty coverage.

My Dealer checked with his Service Department and Management and stated that an Intake system was fine but that any ECU modifications would result in TD1 status and potential warranty void.

Of course they did not put this as a guarantee in writing so I would like to know from the horse's mouth, IF I install the Eventuri Intake system, will this affect my Warranty in any way and if so, how?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AsherAudi View Post
    To AoA:

I am considering purchasing an Eventuri Intake System to add to an otherwise bone stock RS5 and am wondering what your official stance is regarding future warranty coverage.

My Dealer checked with his Service Department and Management and stated that an Intake system was fine but that any ECU modifications would result in TD1 status and potential warranty void.

Of course they did not put this as a guarantee in writing so I would like to know from the horse's mouth, IF I install the Eventuri Intake system, will this affect my Warranty in any way and if so, how?
    Good morning, I understand you’ve been in communication with your dealership. An Audi dealer is able to determine if an alteration to the original engineering such as suspension or performance would void any vehicle warranties. I would recommend engaging the Dealer Service Manager and discussing what your plans are. You may reference your vehicle’s Warranty and Maintenance Manual for additional information. Please keep in mind, per our guidelines, we cannot offer advice with aftermarket modification questions.
    Vincenzo F.

Established Member Four Rings pezgoon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AsherAudi View Post
    To AoA:

Technically an intake couldn't void your warranty anyways based upon the laws. The dealership would have to prove that your intake caused whatever problems down the line

Which they could do if say, your turbo failed. They could blame the intake and you would have to probably go to the courts about it and they would have to do very detailed scientific testing to see if it did but then if you lost the case you'd probably have one hell of a bill to pay (cause generally the loser pays all costs incurred with lawsuits)

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Eric

2005.5 6mt A4 2.0(red T ) Silver metallic outside, Platinum inside.