Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avants and RS?

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Avant popularity in the U.S. just doesn't justify high powered wagons for the number of cars Audi sells. Remember, in terms of sales volume, BMW and Merc still outsell Audi in the U.S. by a good amount. That said, there should definitely be more of an RS presence overall. There should be some degree of competition for AMG and BMW M, which have models in virtually every class of car and SUVs.

I would like to see:

RS3 sedan
    RS4 sedan
    RS5 coupe and Sportback
    RS6 sedan
    RS7 sportback
    RSQ5 SUV (with the RS5 motor)
    TTRS

This I think would be a good overall position for RS cars. And they should become available at the start of a model line production or no more than one year later, like AMG and M cars.
    Currently: Audi S6 * Audi S3 * Porsche Cayman GTS

Veteran Member Four Rings Saracen's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8.5 allroad, 997 C4S, 7.3

Here's what I want to see:

Start with an A4 Avant body:

box flared fenders
    yuuuuuge brakes
    2.5TFSI mounted longitudinally
    manual transmission

Call it the RS2 Avant

I don't care about the rest....okay, maybe an RS6 Avant..
    "A car can be a tool but it can also be so much more. It can be a heart-starter, it can be a drug, it can be a piece of art and it can stir your soul" -Clarkson

"It's like being an ass man but there aren't any nice asses around so you go find a fat chick b/c at least she has something to hold on to. It's not the same and you just don't do it. #avantsforlife" -02silverbullet

Established Member Two Rings tonton's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post

box flared fenders
    yuuuuuge brakes
    manual transmission

Call it the RS2 Avant

It would be much easier if you apply to the Audi design team and create this car from scratch! lol... what is Mike gonna do? CAD and 3D print you a custom RS2 avant?
    2014/S4 Estoril Blue | APR Ultracharger 187/57.75 | APR CPS | APR TCU tune | Chipwerke Pro 3-1 | Roc-Euro Intake | AWE Track Exhaust W/ Stock Downpipes |ECS Decklid Spoiler | ECS Rear Diffuser | 25% tint all around | Reverse Light Delete | HOEN Yellow Fog | ZIZA White Interior LED Kit | Weathertech Mats

Veteran Member Four Rings hyperunion's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 Xterra 4X4 , 02 20V Passat variant.

Quote Originally Posted by plim View Post
    I'm a big believer in buying used cars, it's just ridiculous how much value these machines lose, but part of that reason is because I haven't come across a new car that I would truly love and use for the rest of it's life. The RS4 Avant would be that car. As soon as it's available, I'd be first in line and never look back. I wouldn't have to worry about loss of value because I would never sell it. Audi, please please please let us throw money at you!
    Let's just start with the s4 Avant for now!.. heck does it even have to be federalized??. Most likely not... Just open the books to order..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    B8.5 A4 Premium +, ZF8, APR Stg II+ E85, APR HFC Downpipe, APR Carbon Intake, APR Intercooler, APR T.M. Delete, AWE Quad Exaust, ECS turbo inlet hose, H&R coilovers , H&R F&R Sway Bars, Q5 4 Piston Brembo upgrade, ECS Slotted rotors and stainless lines, OZ Ultraleggeras, Piaa, 3M Crystalline, Xpel Ultimate. IG: "Veritech1"

RIP: B6 A4 Sport, AWE GIAC rSK04, Bilstein PSS9, OZ SL.

Veteran Member Four Rings hyperunion's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 Xterra 4X4 , 02 20V Passat variant.

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post

box flared fenders
    yuuuuuge brakes
    manual transmission

Call it the RS2 Avant

The 2.5 5 cylinder would be a dream mounted longitudinally!.. Audi even did it themselves in a b8 a5 chassis!! 450hp.... Codenamed​ "the beast".. even the Audi commentator probably doesn't know about that one.lol.
    Sadly I see more investment in the shared 2.9 twin turbo v6 that's shared with the new b9 rs5 and new Porsche panamera's.. this motor will even wind up in the r8 eventually as a "lower cost" but more tunable version..

B8.5 A4 Premium +, ZF8, APR Stg II+ E85, APR HFC Downpipe, APR Carbon Intake, APR Intercooler, APR T.M. Delete, AWE Quad Exaust, ECS turbo inlet hose, H&R coilovers , H&R F&R Sway Bars, Q5 4 Piston Brembo upgrade, ECS Slotted rotors and stainless lines, OZ Ultraleggeras, Piaa, 3M Crystalline, Xpel Ultimate. IG: "Veritech1"

RIP: B6 A4 Sport, AWE GIAC rSK04, Bilstein PSS9, OZ SL.

Veteran Member Four Rings nefkntym's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    a bunch of tools
    Items for Sale

Wanting an S6 Avant or RS6 Avant is one thing but as sad as it sounds, any Avant with more than 4 cylinders is a step in the right direction.
    2017 S6 | Sepang Blue | Prestige | Black Optics | Sport Package | Driver Assistance Package | LED Headlights | Carbon Inlays | Cold Weather Package | EPL S2 ECU/TCU | AMS Downpipes | RS7 Intake
    2017 SQ5 | Sepang Blue | Black Optics | Technology Package | Napa Leather Package | Towing Package
    2003 A4 Avant | Polar White | 2.7T Swap | 6sp O1E Swap | RS6 Turbos | ERs | S4 Recaro Interior | TD1 Package

Veteran Member Four Rings jjvwg's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 A4 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by nefkntym View Post
    Wanting an S6 Avant or RS6 Avant is one thing but as sad as it sounds, any Avant with more than 4 cylinders is a step in the right direction.
    ^^^This. We can dream all we want about the cars that aren't here but what it really boils down to is there undoubtedly needs to be more than one option for an avant for American buyers to purchase. I can't remember if I said it earlier in this thread or in a different thread in the avants only section but there are plenty of people, myself included that don't care for the body lines of the allroad. Not that I don't like it, it is an Audi avant after all, but it's just not what I'm looking for in an avant.

Audi Customer Experience Two Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by tonton View Post
    It would be much easier if you apply to the Audi design team and create this car from scratch! lol... what is Mike gonna do? CAD and 3D print you a custom RS2 avant?
    That's a clever idea.
    Mike
    Audi Social Community Manager

Veteran Member Four Rings Saracen's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8.5 allroad, 997 C4S, 7.3

Quote Originally Posted by hyperunion View Post
    The 2.5 5 cylinder would be a dream mounted longitudinally!.. Audi even did it themselves in a b8 a5 chassis!! 450hp.... Codenamed​ "the beast".. even the Audi commentator probably doesn't know about that one.lol.
    Sadly I see more investment in the shared 2.9 twin turbo v6 that's shared with the new b9 rs5 and new Porsche panamera's.. this motor will even wind up in the r8 eventually as a "lower cost" but more tunable version..

Oh yeah, I remember reading about The Beast.

Ohhhh how I want that in wagon form..
    "A car can be a tool but it can also be so much more. It can be a heart-starter, it can be a drug, it can be a piece of art and it can stir your soul" -Clarkson

"It's like being an ass man but there aren't any nice asses around so you go find a fat chick b/c at least she has something to hold on to. It's not the same and you just don't do it. #avantsforlife" -02silverbullet

Established Member Two Rings ColdChicagoian's Avatar
    AZ Member #

This doesn't have to do with the current generation RS, but I was wondering if Audi was ever going to address the issue of carbon build up in the RS4 (also V10 s6,s8)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ColdChicagoian View Post
    This doesn't have to do with the current generation RS, but I was wondering if Audi was ever going to address the issue of carbon build up in the RS4 (also V10 s6,s8)
    Good morning, if any customers are experiencing a carbon build up concern, I would recommend having a formal diagnosis at an authorized Audi dealership. If you are experiencing a concern with your RS 4, please send me a PM with your full name, mailing address, phone number, email, and VIN. Thank you!
    Mike

Established Member Two Rings Tony81's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Avants and RS?

I love my B7 S4 Avant but it is getting up there in mileage (207K) and not sure what to do when the time comes. I can't do an allroad...I could take my wife's A4 Avant and bolt on a KO4 turbo. I'm hopeful with the future B9's something with an S and an Avant eventually pops up. Great discussion though!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Tony81 View Post
    I love my B7 S4 Avant but it is getting up there in mileage (207K) and not sure what to do when the time comes. I can't do an allroad...I could take my wife's A4 Avant and bolt on a KO4 turbo. I'm hopeful with the future B9's something with an S and an Avant eventually pops up. Great discussion though!

Congrats on the mileage milestone. Expect a PM from me.
    Mike

Veteran Member Three Rings pwdrskr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Looks like the S4 Avant will not be coming to the US per Car and Driver: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

"Don’t get too excited. This package isn’t destined for the United States."
    13 allroad/Prestige/ibis/blk, 20%, expel, APR K04, AWE DP, Eurocode FMIC/HFC, GFB DV+, R8 coils, NGK BKR8EIX plugs, 034 Trans & Rr Diff Mounts, Apikol Rr Diff Mount, Vogtland coils, Alu Kreuz, Stasis S4/S5 Rr Sway, Vorsteiner V-FF 104 (20x10/et30), Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06-275/30ZR20, Stoptech rotors, Hawk Ceramics, iJDMTOY 3000K Amber Yellow fogs, F/R e-codes, semi-dyn sigs, RS5 Pedals, Perf. Shift, load rail storage sys, under seat bins

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by pwdrskr View Post
    Looks like the S4 Avant will not be coming to the US per Car and Driver: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

"Don’t get too excited. This package isn’t destined for the United States."
    Did anyone honestly think otherwise?

Established Member Two Rings jhoward's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Since we're begging- please bring the rs4 avant stateside- just for special orders would be fine.

I love the manual avant platform. Just bought a new engine for my b6 S4 so I can keep it on the road as long as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

As a result, Audi intends to introduce more Sportback and wagon models to the U.S. as alternatives to crossovers. “There is a small group of aficionados who could benefit from an additional wagon from Audi,” Hoch told Automotive News. “It’s certainly something that we see over in Europe, and I want it.”

http://www.motortrend.com/news/repor...es-u-s-lineup/
    2014 Q5 3.0T Lava Grey S-Line Sport Package 034 Stage II KW HAS Roc-Euro Magna Flow 034 Rear Sway

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by bomb39 View Post
    As a result, Audi intends to introduce more Sportback and wagon models to the U.S. as alternatives to crossovers. “There is a small group of aficionados who could benefit from an additional wagon from Audi,” Hoch told Automotive News. “It’s certainly something that we see over in Europe, and I want it.”

http://www.motortrend.com/news/repor...es-u-s-lineup/
    Count me as one of the "small group of aficionados..."
    13 allroad/Prestige/ibis/blk, 20%, expel, APR K04, AWE DP, Eurocode FMIC/HFC, GFB DV+, R8 coils, NGK BKR8EIX plugs, 034 Trans & Rr Diff Mounts, Apikol Rr Diff Mount, Vogtland coils, Alu Kreuz, Stasis S4/S5 Rr Sway, Vorsteiner V-FF 104 (20x10/et30), Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06-275/30ZR20, Stoptech rotors, Hawk Ceramics, iJDMTOY 3000K Amber Yellow fogs, F/R e-codes, semi-dyn sigs, RS5 Pedals, Perf. Shift, load rail storage sys, under seat bins

Active Member Two Rings Uncle Buck's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '10 VW GTI, '13 Audi Q5 2.0T, '15 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock

Quote Originally Posted by pwdrskr View Post
    Count me as one of the "small group of aficionados..."
    Me as well...I've decided to wait a year to see how the model mix shakes out. A performance oriented Avant would be my #1 choice.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    Me as well...I've decided to wait a year to see how the model mix shakes out. A performance oriented Avant would be my #1 choice.
    As with me. However, I've put so much into my current allroad that it makes no sense to give it up in favor of an S variant Avant. It's why I've been eying the new S5 / RS5s.

One thing I'll have to get over with any new Audi in the A4 / A5 / A6 families is that awful floating screen. I really, really, really, really hate that design. Really.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    I'd be in for an S4 or S6 Avant.
    2014 Q5 3.0T Lava Grey S-Line Sport Package 034 Stage II KW HAS Roc-Euro Magna Flow 034 Rear Sway

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 a4 avant, b7 a4 avant

Please bring a manual trans awd wagon or hatch to US so I can upgrade my b7 avant. The car is currently pretty useless because air bag recall makes it a 3 seater.

I don't really want to buy a VW wagon, so please give me any option.

Veteran Member Four Rings Das Ponto's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Q5 S-line

The answer to should there be more Avants is always yes...
    07' Brilliant Black A3 3.2vr quattro
    13' Ibis White??? Q5 @2.0t quattro
    IG @Dasponto | https://flic.kr/ps/31nTcr

Established Member Four Rings eljay's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Let's keep the fire burning...

There is a small group of aficionados who could benefit from an additional wagon from Audi. It's certainly something that we see over in Europe, and I want it.
    Says Barry Hoch, AoA Director of Product Planning.
    Now, if Audi does this, but brings over a wagon without a manual transmission, it will be a MAJOR letdown.

We should send a collective postcard to Mr. Hoch to help him get this right.
    2005 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Avant / 6-speed / Ultrasport - Unicorn rescue operation in progress.
    WTB: Mint condition silver B6 passenger fender and both front doors.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    a bunch of tools
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by eljay View Post
    Let's keep the fire burning...

Now, if Audi does this, but brings over a wagon without a manual transmission, it will be a MAJOR letdown.

We should send a collective postcard to Mr. Hoch to help him get this right.
    I don't think any of the existing Avants were available in manual to begin with.
    2017 S6 | Sepang Blue | Prestige | Black Optics | Sport Package | Driver Assistance Package | LED Headlights | Carbon Inlays | Cold Weather Package | EPL S2 ECU/TCU | AMS Downpipes | RS7 Intake
    2017 SQ5 | Sepang Blue | Black Optics | Technology Package | Napa Leather Package | Towing Package
    2003 A4 Avant | Polar White | 2.7T Swap | 6sp O1E Swap | RS6 Turbos | ERs | S4 Recaro Interior | TD1 Package

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by nefkntym View Post
    I don't think any of the existing Avants were available in manual to begin with.
    Not in North America, but elsewhere, yes, they are available with a 6-speed manual.

There would not be much point to just de-cladding the Allroad and offering it as A4 Avant without a manual transmission. I hope that Barry Hoch's comments don't simply mean that Audi will re-introduce an A6 Avant with S-tronic and call it mission accomplished for the wagon aficionados.
    2005 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Avant / 6-speed / Ultrasport - Unicorn rescue operation in progress.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    a bunch of tools
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by eljay View Post
    Not in North America, but elsewhere, yes, they are available with a 6-speed manual.

There would not be much point to just de-cladding the Allroad and offering it as A4 Avant without a manual transmission. I hope that Barry Hoch's comments don't simply mean that Audi will re-introduce an A6 Avant with S-tronic and call it mission accomplished for the wagon aficionados.
    I hope it means RS6 avant, I would trade my '17 S6 for that in a heartbeat.

As for the manuals, my existing Avant is a manual, I love them. But for a new Avant, if manual was the only option I would probably think twice about it and most likely not get it. I was posed with that option when I bought my '13 S4. Went with DSG at the last moment and never regretted it. S-Tronic and the ZF8 tips are so much stronger and faster than the manuals nowadays. It is kind of hilarious. Either way the Avants I am interested in were never offered in manual anyway. Basically the C7 Avants with the bigger engines.

I guess the answer to the manual question is if the new S4 and S5 get a manual here in the states. If it doesn't happen for them, you can pretty much count on it never happening for an Avant.

AZ Member #

Well, at least VW is listening to customers and bringing a manual to the Golf Alltrack in Canada after offering it in the States.
    Paired with the new "1.8TFSI can nevar lose" engine, it's nice enough to warrant a look for manual wagon lovers.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A4 Avant, 05 Silver S4 2.7t swap
    Items for Sale

It would seem that enthusiast requests don't drive car sales. As the owner of an 08 A4 Avant with a manual transmission, I will continue to rebuild, replace, re-whatever to hold onto it. I am at 186k miles and counting.