Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Avants and RS?

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    The real problem is the differing vehicle legalization requirements that the US and the EU have. It's a massive inefficiency in the world. Why should Audi have to go through a separate legalization process with differing crash standards for the US? Why don't the US and the EU share common requirements for emissions and crash safety.

At the end of the day, a car needs to have some accounting for pedestrian impact,driver/passenger crash safety, and emissions/respect for the environment. This should be standardized across the globe. A car in europe should be no less crash worthy than one made for the US and vice versa. People are people no matter where they are from and the car should be safe for them to an equal and high standard.

Why is it different between US and EU. That is the real question. Audi already throws away a ton of money to legalize the cars that they do sell in the US (only because they can recover it through high volume sales). But i don't blame them not wanting to waste the time and resource to do it for an RS or RS Avant, when it's a low volume car with not enough profit margin in the US.

Veteran Member Four Rings AUDIMAN33's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi A4, Porsche Cayenne S, Mercedes Benz S430 4matic
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by A4Qwattro View Post
    The real problem is the differing vehicle legalization requirements that the US and the EU have. It's a massive inefficiency in the world. Why should Audi have to go through a separate legalization process with differing crash standards for the US? Why don't the US and the EU share common requirements for emissions and crash safety.

At the end of the day, a car needs to have some accounting for pedestrian impact,driver/passenger crash safety, and emissions/respect for the environment. This should be standardized across the globe. A car in europe should be no less crash worthy than one made for the US and vice versa. People are people no matter where they are from and the car should be safe for them to an equal and high standard.

Why is it different between US and EU. That is the real question. Audi already throws away a ton of money to legalize the cars that they do sell in the US (only because they can recover it through high volume sales). But i don't blame them not wanting to waste the time and resource to do it for an RS or RS Avant, when it's a low volume car with not enough profit margin in the US.
    What about the E-tron A3? You best believe that the RS3 hatchback would out sell that...
    Current
    2014 AUDI A4
    2003 AUDI A4 Convertible
    2004 VW Touareg V8
    Previous
    2010 BMW 328XI
    2002 BMW M5
    2013 JETTA SE 2003 MERCEDES-BENZ S430 4MATIC 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL LEXUS GS460, 2011 CHEVY CAMARO 2008 BMW X3,2000 Audi A4,2003 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1996 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1988,SCIROCCO16V

Senior Member Three Rings joe@dubaudi.com's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 S4 Avant / 2014 Allroad / 2015 Q7 TDI
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by AUDIMAN33 View Post
    @Audi don't ignore us
    seriously c'mon guys. I am, and have always been, a die hard avant fan. and I always will be... but no one really truly cares about avants including Audi or the NA marketplace. I have a b7 s4 avant and a new allroad and every time I see another avant I always hope that some cool avant dude is gonna throw me a huge thumbs up when he sees me in my shaggen wagon but it's the same scenario EVERY SINGLE time... A 70+ year old grandma cruising home from the garden center with her allroad full of chrysanthemums and organic potting soil. That is the demographic that wants audi wagons so let's please put this discussion to rest. Audi will never bring either RS4 or RS6 here and even if they did no one would buy them. Sure everyone says they would sell off their 2 kids and refi their house but they won't. Lease programs will be non existent, good finance rates won't apply and I know of maybe 1 person that actually has the means to spend the huge amount of money that either of these 2 platforms would call for. and if it came down to it I actually doubt he would pull the trigger if they did come here. Remember how many people ordered b6 and b7 avants from the factory when they were offered in a manual transmission in a 1.8T, 3.2 and 4.2??? Or how about when the B8 was offered in an avant? yea? no one did. Thats exactly the reason they stopped being offered. At this point I'd consider a vw alltrak before a new audi anything since it comes in manual. Anywho.. back to crickets from Audi.

Senior Member Two Rings dbuxton13's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I don't think we're going to get the desired level of detail in a response from this venue. Since Audi HQ (Germany), specifically their Quattro subsidiary (now known as Audi Sport GmbH), will only make the RS in a wagon body, the reply below is in regard to an S4 Avant, rather than an RS. I don't know what type of response anyone would expect, but here is an answer. The same considerations would apply to the RS4, only more severely due to even lower potential sales volume.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Audi of America, and your loyalty to the brand.

I would like to take a moment to answer your recent email. We welcome your feedback, and appreciate your comments for bringing the Audi S4 Avant back to the US. The Avant body design is an important part of Audi DNA and represents almost 50% of Audi vehicles sold in Europe. Although we have some, most American consumers do not seem to have as much enthusiasm for the so-called wagon configuration. This brings us into a dilemma when we want to bring Avant models into the US market. There are very significant homologation differences between the United States and Europe that translate into substantial development costs to bring cars into compliance. When we then consider the modest volume potential for cars of this configuration, the unfortunate conclusion is that it is simply not economically feasible.

I have documented your comments to be reviewed internally here at Audi of America. If there is anything else I can do for you, please let me know. You can reply to this email or contact me at (877) 615-XXXX, extension XXXX.

Kindest regards,

XXXX
    Audi of America
    Last edited by dbuxton13; 01-03-2018 at 01:20 AM.
    B9 S4

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by joe@dubaudi.com View Post
    seriously c'mon guys. I am, and have always been, a die hard avant fan. and I always will be... but no one really truly cares about avants including Audi or the NA marketplace. I have a b7 s4 avant and a new allroad and every time I see another avant I always hope that some cool avant dude is gonna throw me a huge thumbs up when he sees me in my shaggen wagon but it's the same scenario EVERY SINGLE time... A 70+ year old grandma cruising home from the garden center with her allroad full of chrysanthemums and organic potting soil. That is the demographic that wants audi wagons so let's please put this discussion to rest. Audi will never bring either RS4 or RS6 here and even if they did no one would buy them. Sure everyone says they would sell off their 2 kids and refi their house but they won't. Lease programs will be non existent, good finance rates won't apply and I know of maybe 1 person that actually has the means to spend the huge amount of money that either of these 2 platforms would call for. and if it came down to it I actually doubt he would pull the trigger if they did come here. Remember how many people ordered b6 and b7 avants from the factory when they were offered in a manual transmission in a 1.8T, 3.2 and 4.2??? Or how about when the B8 was offered in an avant? yea? no one did. Thats exactly the reason they stopped being offered. At this point I'd consider a vw alltrak before a new audi anything since it comes in manual. Anywho.. back to crickets from Audi.
    Demographic's differ from location to location.... Point Pleasant may have 70 year old woman driving Allroads, but in my neighborhoods we may have 30 year old babymommas driving them. The first Allroad was wayyy to far ahead of it's time. Audi wasn't "Something" back then. You wanted a wagon you got a Volvo. Volvo also offered V8's... People didn't order the new avants because they aren't special enough.
    Current
    2014 AUDI A4
    2003 AUDI A4 Convertible
    2004 VW Touareg V8
    Previous
    2010 BMW 328XI
    2002 BMW M5
    2013 JETTA SE 2003 MERCEDES-BENZ S430 4MATIC 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL LEXUS GS460, 2011 CHEVY CAMARO 2008 BMW X3,2000 Audi A4,2003 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1996 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1988,SCIROCCO16V

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by dbuxton13 View Post
    I don't think we're going to get the desired level of detail in a response from this venue. Since Audi HQ (Germany), specifically their Quattro subsidiary (now known as Audi Sport GmbH), will only make the RS in a wagon body, the reply below is in regard to an S4 Avant, rather than an RS. I don't know what type of response anyone would expect, but here is an answer. The same considerations would apply to the RS4, only more severely due to even lower potential sales volume.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Audi of America, and your loyalty to the brand.

I would like to take a moment to answer your recent email. We welcome your feedback, and appreciate your comments for bringing the Audi S4 Avant back to the US. The Avant body design is an important part of Audi DNA and represents almost 50% of Audi vehicles sold in Europe. Although we have some, most American consumers do not seem to have as much enthusiasm for the so-called wagon configuration. This brings us into a dilemma when we want to bring Avant models into the US market. There are very significant homologation differences between the United States and Europe that translate into substantial development costs to bring cars into compliance. When we then consider the modest volume potential for cars of this configuration, the unfortunate conclusion is that it is simply not economically feasible.

I have documented your comments to be reviewed internally here at Audi of America. If there is anything else I can do for you, please let me know. You can reply to this email or contact me at (877) 615-XXXX, extension XXXX.

Kindest regards,

XXXX
    Audi of America
    I don't think anyone asked for that Etron...
    Current
    2014 AUDI A4
    2003 AUDI A4 Convertible
    2004 VW Touareg V8
    Previous
    2010 BMW 328XI
    2002 BMW M5

AZ Member #

What about the E-tron A3? You best believe that the RS3 hatchback would out sell that...
    I don't think anyone asked for that Etron...
    LOL! You are not wrong.

Unfortunately that E-Tron as a plug in hybrid sits in a different marketing niche that allows Audi to have some presence in the hybrid/electric market, as well as padding their Corporate Average Fuel economy (CAFE) when it sells.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dbuxton13 View Post
    This brings us into a dilemma when we want to bring Avant models into the US market. There are very significant homologation differences between the United States and Europe that translate into substantial development costs to bring cars into compliance. When we then consider the modest volume potential for cars of this configuration, the unfortunate conclusion is that it is simply not economically feasible.
    This is what I was alluding to regarding certain Avant models. It's not Audi's fault. It's the governments, its the US, EU, all of the member nations of the United Nations.
    There is no reason that safety standards for a human being should differ. There is no reason that emissions standard in order to protect the environment should differ.

There is no change because it's all stuck in ancient legacy. One or both sides would have to invest money moving to the other's standard, or to a joint common standard.

If US and EU shared safety and emissions standards, every single model that Audi sells in Europe, would be available for special order to the US. Beyond the offerings that Audi NA decides to bring here for the dealerships.

Established Member Two Rings easy_button's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by A4Qwattro View Post
    This is what I was alluding to regarding certain Avant models. It's not Audi's fault. It's the governments, its the US, EU, all of the member nations of the United Nations.
    There is no reason that safety standards for a human being should differ. There is no reason that emissions standard in order to protect the environment should differ.

There is no change because it's all stuck in ancient legacy. One or both sides would have to invest money moving to the other's standard, or to a joint common standard.

If US and EU shared safety and emissions standards, every single model that Audi sells in Europe, would be available for special order to the US. Beyond the offerings that Audi NA decides to bring here for the dealerships.
    Response was a nice “we do not care what you want”, and realy did not answer the question. Allroad already satisfies most (if not all) of the homologation requirements for the A4 Avant platform; the motor is certified for the RS5... and they are using the ZF slush box across the family. Bringing over (especially as a special order) an RS version would not be a significant investment (hint- the RS4 will be sold in Japan and that market buys fewer wagons than the US, so the “investment” rationale seems a little disingenuous ). AoA wants to sell you both a sports sedan/coupe AND an SUV; not just a wagon.

Why sell someone one car they can do everything with, when you can create a situation where they “need” to buy two? One they like to drive, and one they can move their dog crate with. Headlights, side markers (both of which get swapped by some) and bumpers (which are a part, and swappable) are pretty much the differences between the markets now - lots of hand waving, not a lot of “investment” required.

Finally accepting the fact that I am likely part of the reason the RS4/6 don’t have a chance of coming over. Have an RS5 that I love to drive and a Jeep (that I actually hate now) to haul people, pets and stuff; if the RS4 were available, I would only have an RS4...

Senior Member Three Rings joe@dubaudi.com's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 S4 Avant / 2014 Allroad / 2015 Q7 TDI
    Items for Sale

Demographic's differ from location to location.... Point Pleasant may have 70 year old woman driving Allroads, but in my neighborhoods we may have 30 year old babymommas driving them. The first Allroad was wayyy to far ahead of it's time. Audi wasn't "Something" back then. You wanted a wagon you got a Volvo. Volvo also offered V8's... People didn't order the new avants because they aren't special enough.
    Well I spend a lot to time in new england and washington dc and every allroad is always driven by an elderly-ish woman/grandma. All the young mom's here (and seemingly everywhere) are driving GL 550's and Q7's.. Including my wife LOL.. They wouldn't be caught dead in a station wagon LOL..

Veteran Member Four Rings nefkntym's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    a bunch of tools
    Items for Sale

Well, in the past month, I was looking at replacing my S6 with an RS7. Thought about it long and hard, ultimately I decided to do some upgrades and buy a replacement wagon. I was leaning really hard towards going back to Volvo and getting a 2016 V60 Polestar, the last 6 cylinder model. The only reason I didn't was because I didn't want to travel to the east coast during the holidays to get it or more correctly, drive back from the east coast after getting it during the holidays. Ultimately, I ended up getting a loaded 2018 Allroad Prestige. I have to say, I really like it. Not a bad vehicle, not an RS4 (or Polestar) by any stretch. I would have loved to get an RS4, and I would have done so in a heart beat had it been available even if it meant going to Bangor, Maine to get it. For me and my wife, the wagon is a great car to go in between my S6 and her Q7. I would still get an RS4 if it was available even with already having an S6 and a Q7.

A lot of people like me are ready to take the plunge. Your move Audi...
    Last edited by nefkntym; 01-20-2018 at 09:26 AM.
    2018 TTRS Nardo Grey | Sports Exhaust | Dynamic Plus Package | Design Selection Interior | Carbon Inlays | Tech Package | Black Optic
    2018 SQ5 Prestige Azores Green
    2018 S5 SB Navarra Blue/Magma
    2003 A4 Avant Polar White | 2.7T swapped

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by joe@dubaudi.com View Post
    Well I spend a lot to time in new england and washington dc and every allroad is always driven by an elderly-ish woman/grandma. All the young mom's here (and seemingly everywhere) are driving GL 550's and Q7's.. Including my wife LOL.. They wouldn't be caught dead in a station wagon LOL..
    Q7 is a certified baby momma car...
    Current
    2014 AUDI A4
    2003 AUDI A4 Convertible
    2004 VW Touareg V8
    Previous
    2010 BMW 328XI
    2002 BMW M5

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Golf R

Keeping the conversation going... this really is the car that needs to make an appearance - even as a limited edition run, pre-orders only; pretty sure I can resist driving the Jeep into a lake for a year if there was a chance of replacing it with an RS4.

Veteran Member Four Rings crazytex21's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Avants and RS?

https://youtu.be/e81TjUHRRkU

Yes!! Bring it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tex lee

A lot of people think you want to race, when in reality, you just have to motor home because Chipotle.
    ~Shicky~

Veteran Member Four Rings pwdrskr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Anyone notice that the other European luxury auto makers (BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar an even Porsche) have performance wagons in their US line ups? Anyone at Audi see Porsche’s Sport Turismo? Or Mercedes’ e-class AMG wagon?

That Panamera appears to be a performance beast with turbo plus the hybrid setup (https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/p...turesandspecs/). So is the AMG Mercedes. The BMW and Jag aren’t as performance oriented but they do come in at least multiple configurations. Can’t say I care for the designs of those cars but that is why I drive Audi’s.

My point here is that clearly there must be someone buying these in the USA and therefore some kind of market. I don’t care if that market is largely made up of wealthy bimbo soccer moms, octogenarian gardeners or, like me, a middle aged “teenager” who eschewed kids so I could buy expensive toys and make so called bad financial decisions in a lifelong pursuit of automotive joy.

Audi is way behind and seems to be intent on staying there and that makes this mid life crisis poster child sad. Guess I’ll just buy another pair of skis, carbon fiber bike or mope in front of my PS4 and play Call of Duty WWII (or all of that).
    13 allroad/Prestige/ibis/blk, 20%, expel, APR K04, AWE DP, Eurocode FMIC/HFC, GFB DV+, R8 coils, NGK BKR8EIX plugs, 034 Trans & Rr Diff Mounts, Apikol Rr Diff Mount, Vogtland coils, Alu Kreuz, Stasis S4/S5 Rr Sway, Vorsteiner V-FF 104 (20x10/et30), Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06-275/30ZR20, Stoptech rotors, Hawk Ceramics, iJDMTOY 3000K Amber Yellow fogs, F/R e-codes, semi-dyn sigs, RS5 Pedals, Perf. Shift, load rail storage sys, under seat bins

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by pwdrskr View Post
    Anyone notice that the other European luxury auto makers (BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar an even Porsche) have performance wagons in their US line ups? Anyone at Audi see Porsche’s Sport Turismo? Or Mercedes’ e-class AMG wagon?

That Panamera appears to be a performance beast with turbo plus the hybrid setup (https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/p...turesandspecs/). So is the AMG Mercedes. The BMW and Jag aren’t as performance oriented but they do come in at least multiple configurations. Can’t say I care for the designs of those cars but that is why I drive Audi’s.

My point here is that clearly there must be someone buying these in the USA and therefore some kind of market. I don’t care if that market is largely made up of wealthy bimbo soccer moms, octogenarian gardeners or, like me, a middle aged “teenager” who eschewed kids so I could buy expensive toys and make so called bad financial decisions in a lifelong pursuit of automotive joy.

Audi is way behind and seems to be intent on staying there and that makes this mid life crisis poster child sad. Guess I’ll just buy another pair of skis, carbon fiber bike or mope in front of my PS4 and play Call of Duty WWII (or all of that).
    And don't forget the Volvo V60 Polestar, V90 and V90 CC.

Maybe Audi is just pinching the hose and waiting for the right moment to unleash... some day... some day... and when that day comes, I'll be first in line.
    Build thread: 2014 Audi Allroad
    Instagram: @ridesbypeter

Previous Audis:
    2004 Audi A4 Avant 3.0
    2003 Audi A3 Avant 1.8T

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

The E63 wagon is a very special case. The customers are Mercedes' most loyal and it's wealthiest. Even then MB still made the E63 wagon custom order only as they sell less than 100 nation wide. Mercedes sells a lot more E Classes that Audi does A6s, they can afford to niche cars; Audi can't.

The A3 E-Tron has the benefit of lowering CAFE, being eligible for government incentives, and is good PR for Audi (especially after the diesel scandal). I can see why they'd keep it.

Established Member Two Rings klquattro's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
    The E63 wagon is a very special case. The customers are Mercedes' most loyal and it's wealthiest. Even then MB still made the E63 wagon custom order only as they sell less than 100 nation wide. Mercedes sells a lot more E Classes that Audi does A6s, they can afford to niche cars; Audi can't.

The A3 E-Tron has the benefit of lowering CAFE, being eligible for government incentives, and is good PR for Audi (especially after the diesel scandal). I can see why they'd keep it.
    Why do you think Audi is content on keeping the all-road instead of say a performance oriented wagon ala RS4/6? I understand the A3 E-Tron as you mentioned but the all-road has always perplexed me as its not exactly a hot seller (3.2k for 2017). I would wager that a b9 RS4 priced right (in line with an RS5 or so) could probably get pretty close to that mark while helping promote the "we're kings of the avant" theme.
    '15 S4 - Mythos Black - 034 Stage 1 - AWE Track Exhaust

Active Member Two Rings BlackOptics's Avatar
    AZ Member #

In a more serious / practical / perhaps wishful note.

I would love an RS4.

...If it were electric.

While I am eagerly awaiting my new TT RS to arrive, I HOPE this is the last gasoline car I will buy. I will relegate it to museum use. (i.e. Sundays) ...Bygone era.

I believe a future "RS4e Avant" should be available that can do 300+ miles on a charge (ala Tesla), not be in the $100k+ USD range like the GT e-tron, and - if it has to perform like the legendary RS4's to earn the badge - has similar performance to the Tesla. Com'on, Audi, Tesla does this today, and the A3 e-tron is not enough. Not close.

I figure the costs for an e-tron would mean it be a car more expensive than an A4 or S4... Plus, the acceleration of electric has become very "RS-like".

Now, I realize Audi will e-tron-ise the Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5, Q6, Q7 and maybe even launch some of them in the US waaaaay before launching the RS4 e-tron Avant...

But still, I hope an RS4 e-tron Avant replaces my A4 Avant some time before I die.
    Last edited by BlackOptics; 01-22-2018 at 11:24 AM.
    2018 991.2 / 911T, GT Silver Metallic, LWBS, Sport Exh, Sports Chrono, LED's.
    2015 Q7 (4L) 3.0TDI, Glacier White, Prestige, S-Line, Black Optic, Tow, 21" Rotors
    2011 A4 Avant (B8) 2.0T, Ibis White, Premium+, Titanium Sport Pkg, Nav, B&O, 19" Rotors
    [Gone: 2017 TTS, 2003 A4 Avant]

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by klquattro View Post
    Why do you think Audi is content on keeping the all-road instead of say a performance oriented wagon ala RS4/6? I understand the A3 E-Tron as you mentioned but the all-road has always perplexed me as its not exactly a hot seller (3.2k for 2017). I would wager that a b9 RS4 priced right (in line with an RS5 or so) could probably get pretty close to that mark while helping promote the "we're kings of the avant" theme.
    Even though the Allroad is a low volume seller, Audi's obviously run the numbers and believes it'll sell more than a RS4. I've never seen Audi use the "King of avants" tag line anywhere. Maybe it's a European thing. People like vehicles that sit higher. They're easier to get in and out of, especially if you're loading a carseat.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    a bunch of tools
    Items for Sale

The Allroad (B9) started selling a over year before the RS4 was even available and people in the US are lazier than people in Europe.

The Allroad sales by itself are about 1200 units less than the A7/S7/RS7 combined. Audi isn't stopping those models for the US. The A7/S7/RS7 sales are 1/4th of the A6/S6 sales and the A6/S6 sales are half of the A4/S4 sales for 2017. If there is any place to wedge a new halo car, it would be there. For comparison, Audi sold 772 R8s for 2017. That is about a 1/5th of the Allroad sales at away higher price. That is not going away anytime soon. At least with the RS4 there a similar vehicle for crash testing in the form of the Allroad. There really is no reason to not offer it. Crash test it to make it legal, make it special order only if you want it and the make the deposit non-refundable except for extreme mitigating circumstances.

Give us, the people, the opportunity to put our money where are mouth is.
    2018 TTRS Nardo Grey | Sports Exhaust | Dynamic Plus Package | Design Selection Interior | Carbon Inlays | Tech Package | Black Optic

AZ Member #

The problem is, if the people don't put their money where their mouth is then Audi out a ton of cash. I'm sure they'd like to offer all their cars here but given a limited budget they can only pick and choose. They've run the numbers and determined that a RS5 Sportback will sell better than a RS4 station wagon.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    a bunch of tools
    Items for Sale

The problem is, if the people don't put their money where their mouth is then Audi out a ton of cash. I'm sure they'd like to offer all their cars here but given a limited budget they can only pick and choose. They've run the numbers and determined that a RS5 Sportback will sell better than a RS4 station wagon.
    If only the RS5 was desirable or A5 or S5 for that matter. Only the A5 and S5 have the sportback option, RS5 will be coupe only. As for the sportback option, it has half the cargo volume of the Allroad. That is comparing apples to oranges, the only thing remotely similar between the RS5 and RS4 is the power train. You can't compare a 2+2 coupe to a 5 door, 5 seater wagon and say that former is the alternative for the latter. If we are considered the land of SUVs, you are not going to woo someone away from buying an $80K SUV with an $80K coupe.

I know we will have to agree to disagree, but I am part of the segment that Audi is going after, later in age, established (house and kids) with disposable income. In the past month, my wife and I bought not 1 but 2 brand new Q7s. The first one didn't have the options we ultimately wanted (both were prestige, we only get prestige models), and I was thinking really hard about RS7s and S8s at the same time for me. Not once did a 2+2 coupe ever enter the equation, ultimately I decided to throw a ridiculous amount of money at my S6 and upgrade to RS7 turbos with all the fixings and bought a new loaded Allroad at the same time because not having 5 seats and 4 doors is not practical at all. There was never any point in time when we said or the sales people said, hey instead of that Q7 or RS7/S8 or S6 or Allroad, get an S5 (sportback or not) or wait for the RS5 because we might be missing the boat. Maybe Audi is secretly marketing their performance cars to DINKs here in the US and not saying so.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by nefkntym View Post
    If only the RS5 was desirable or A5 or S5 for that matter. Only the A5 and S5 have the sportback option, RS5 will be coupe only. As for the sportback option, it has half the cargo volume of the Allroad. That is comparing apples to oranges, the only thing remotely similar between the RS5 and RS4 is the power train. You can't compare a 2+2 coupe to a 5 door, 5 seater wagon and say that former is the alternative for the latter. If we are considered the land of SUVs, you are not going to woo someone away from buying an $80K SUV with an $80K coupe.

I know we will have to agree to disagree, but I am part of the segment that Audi is going after, later in age, established (house and kids) with disposable income. In the past month, my wife and I bought not 1 but 2 brand new Q7s. The first one didn't have the options we ultimately wanted (both were prestige, we only get prestige models), and I was thinking really hard about RS7s and S8s at the same time for me. Not once did a 2+2 coupe ever enter the equation, ultimately I decided to throw a ridiculous amount of money at my S6 and upgrade to RS7 turbos with all the fixings and bought a new loaded Allroad at the same time because not having 5 seats and 4 doors is not practical at all. There was never any point in time when we said or the sales people said, hey instead of that Q7 or RS7/S8 or S6 or Allroad, get an S5 (sportback or not) or wait for the RS5 because we might be missing the boat. Maybe Audi is secretly marketing their performance cars to DINKs here in the US and not saying so.
    The RS5 is coupe and sportback. Audi has pretty much confirmed it and we've seen test mules already.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...k-seen-testing

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    a bunch of tools
    Items for Sale

RS4, RS6, A1 and A2 exist in Europe too, that doesn't mean it is coming here. RS5 is already on Audi USAs website and has been listed in the future vehicles section for almost 2 years. The A5 and S5 sportbacks were there for a while too. There is nothing for an RS5 sportback there and here is a leaked picture of the Audi USA roadmap.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by nefkntym View Post
    RS4, RS6, A1 and A2 exist in Europe too, that doesn't mean it is coming here. RS5 is already on Audi USAs website and has been listed in the future vehicles section for almost 2 years. The A5 and S5 sportbacks were there for a while too. There is nothing for an RS5 sportback there and here is a leaked picture of the Audi USA roadmap.

That's an Audi Canada roadmap, they cropped the maple leaf in the bottom right corner:

In any case, we've had several sales people in Canada and the US on this forum and others all independently confirm that they were told at a dealer presentation in August that RS5 Sportback is coming to Canada and the US. It'll be in showrooms November 2018.

Here's one post:

Quote Originally Posted by m-ys4 View Post
    Hello all, below is the order guide and options sent directly to me from Audi Canada. I will update accordingly once pricing has been listed to us. For further inquiries please contact me directly through PM and I will reach out to you. Any questions feel free to reach out!

Color Options:
    - Mythos Black
    - Navarra Blue
    - Glacier White Metallic
    - Daytona Grey
    - Florett Silver
    - Misano Red
    - Nardo Grey
    - Sonoma Green (New)

Interior Options:
    - Black W/Red Stitch
    - Lunar Silver
    - Black W/Grey Stitch

Factory Options:
    - Heated Steering Wheel (Deletes Flat Bottom)
    - 20" Wheel, Milled Cut in 5 arm peak design, Anthracite Black Matt Finish
    - Heated rear seats
    - Carbon inlays
    - Front/no front license plate holder
    - Heads up Display
    - Engine compartment carbon package
    - Red brake calipers
    - Ceramic brake option (excludes red brake caliper option)
    - Audi Sport Package
    - Advance Driver Assistance Package
    - RS interior design package
    - Carbon optics Package
    - 20" 5 arm trapezoid design, silver finish
    - Premium Package

Coupe Arrival in Toronto - February 2018
    Sportback Arrival in Toronto - November 2018

Also..

May - A8 Redesign
    June-September - A6/A7 Redesign
    October - TT (refresh)
    November - Q8

AZ Member #

So, seems the cat is out of the bag...

Heard at a motor show.... Apparently, the 'secret' Scott K is working on (mentioned in this interview) seems to be the RS6.

https://www.motor1.com/news/228459/a...-confirmation/

I guess it is time to sell those children.
    2015 Q7 (4L) 3.0TDI, Glacier White, Prestige, S-Line, Black Optic, Tow, 21" Rotors
    2011 A4 Avant (B8) 2.0T, Ibis White, Premium+, Titanium Sport Pkg, Nav, B&O, 19" Rotors

AZ Member #

Here is a clip with Keogh talking about Audi and the RS models in particular. *Edit, just realized I was 5 minutes too late with the below

TL/DW; He confirms the RS5 SB will be coming to the US and then says "We have one other surprise we're working on, but I'll hold that one," Keogh said during the interview. "There's a cool European model that we haven't brought in yet, and it has been the number 1 car on my list. So maybe we'll get it."

We can speculate all we want but I would wager this would have to be an avant because what other model does Europe get that we don't? Could point to an RS4 or RS6. The RS4 being ready now, the RS6 coming post 2020 after the A6 line is redesigned.

He also doesn't say we're definitely getting this surprise model, only he is pushing to bring more RS models to the US, and succeeding so far at that imo.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    a bunch of tools
    Items for Sale

Awesome! I have read a couple of years ago that he is very fond of the RS6. I would agree that will most likely be the mystery car, especially with him being the top guy for Audi North America and he is driving an Allroad as his family car. This is great news!!

Veteran Member Four Rings DownhillA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Believe it when we see it...
    Formula1 died with the introduction of DRS and KERS.
    RallyNorthAmerica - Team Stop Texting
    IG: @downhill_a4
    @I_like_your_box

"If you are a true automotive enthusiast whom loves their car,
    you learn to catch rides to parties and leave your car at home."- dougyfresh

AZ Member #

Interesting, I wonder if he's using the E63 wagon as a model of how it could work. That said I'll be very surprised if Audi corporate gives the go ahead, but we'll see.

I was thinking about how he said that the A5/S5 is a "homerun" model for Audi. I've seen lots of A5s and several S5s but not very many A4s and no S4s.

Maybe the secret RS model will be the RS1.
    Last edited by JohnEnglish; 01-26-2018 at 05:36 AM.

AZ Member #

Interesting, I wonder if he's using the E63 wagon as a model of how it could work. That said I'll be very surprised if Audi corporate gives the go ahead, but we'll see.

I was thinking about how he said that the A5/S5 is a "homerun" model for Audi. I've seen lots of A5s and several S5s but not very many A4s and no S4s.

Maybe the secret RS model will be the RS1.
    It better not be an S4/5 Avant when its all said it done.

Reasons for an RS4: Adds another option to compete with the C63 & M3 class of cars; Lower entry price to attract more buyers in that segment
    Reasons against RS4: Already getting RS5 & RS5 SB; Would make 3 performance cars all rocking the same exact engine

Reasons for an RS6: Better compete with the E63 / Panamera; Would essentially be offering 1 RS car per "class" of cars in lineup (RS3, RS5/SB, RS6, RS7)
    Reasons against RS6: High price

The RS6 unfortunately (for me at least ) probably makes more sense than an RS4 simply because it would fill in more of a gap in the lineup than an RS4 would. It probably also makes sense to certify the RS6 as soon as it comes out rather than trying to certify the already out RS4, admittedly i dont know if that actually makes sense or just does in my head.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

I want the SQ7, that'd be a badass car
    Current
    2014 AUDI A4
    2003 AUDI A4 Convertible
    2004 VW Touareg V8
    Previous
    2010 BMW 328XI
    2002 BMW M5

AZ Member #

It better not be an S4/5 Avant when its all said it done.

Reasons for an RS4: Adds another option to compete with the C63 & M3 class of cars; Lower entry price to attract more buyers in that segment
    Reasons against RS4: Already getting RS5 & RS5 SB; Would make 3 performance cars all rocking the same exact engine

Reasons for an RS6: Better compete with the E63 / Panamera; Would essentially be offering 1 RS car per "class" of cars in lineup (RS3, RS5/SB, RS6, RS7)

The RS6 unfortunately (for me at least ) probably makes more sense than an RS4 simply because it would fill in more of a gap in the lineup than an RS4 would. It probably also makes sense to certify the RS6 as soon as it comes out rather than trying to certify the already out RS4, admittedly i dont know if that actually makes sense or just does in my head.
    My understanding was that the discussion was only about RS cars so the secret model would be a RS vehicle. I still would ideally want a RS4 sedan, but the RS5 Sportback is an acceptable substitute.

I think the price of the RS6 is a plus for it as it means higher profit margin.

Veteran Member Four Rings DownhillA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Either way, still won't be able to afford a $100k estate, weekend car, so i'll be buying them from all you guys in another 5-6 years after they depreciate. Thanks! :)
    Formula1 died with the introduction of DRS and KERS.
    RallyNorthAmerica - Team Stop Texting
    IG: @downhill_a4
    @I_like_your_box

"If you are a true automotive enthusiast whom loves their car,
    you learn to catch rides to parties and leave your car at home."- dougyfresh

AZ Member #

I have lusted for years for an RS6 Avant. But, a decade later, and with a Q7 to haul the family, and TTRS to play on the weekend, I don't see spending $120k for a high maintenance wagon.

(I am not sure I would dump the Q7 in favor of an RS6 - riding in snow/ice with ski gear and hauling camping/kiteboarding to far off locations, etc... just doesn't seem to sit well with a $120k uber sport vagon.)

However - I *would* splurge for an RS4 Avant. (A swap for my wife's current A4Avant. She would love it.)

So, while I am happy the rumor is an Avant is coming... And super excited that it might be the RS6... I honestly might have to skip.

(I am not ready to sell the not-yet-arrived TT RS and A4 Avant.. because an RS4 would be a great replacement/compromise.)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Real question, if the RS5 Sport back is coming it'll prob be upwards of 85k ( Low est ) Why wouldn't you get an RS7? or even an S7?
    Current
    2014 AUDI A4
    2003 AUDI A4 Convertible
    2004 VW Touareg V8
    Previous
    2010 BMW 328XI
    2002 BMW M5

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Golf R

If the RS6 slots in under the RS7 (even better, just under the E63), they have a sale; and no, it won’t be available after two years... Will likely have a low(ish) mileage RS5 available though. Just have hold my nose and keep the Jeep a little longer...

AZ Member #

Real question, if the RS5 Sport back is coming it'll prob be upwards of 85k ( Low est ) Why wouldn't you get an RS7? or even an S7?
    The RS5 Sportback will be priced in line with the RS5 coupe. There's a big price difference between the RS5 and RS7. Plus I prefer the styling of the RS5 and the S7 is too big.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

The RS5 Sportback will be priced in line with the RS5 coupe. There's a big price difference between the RS5 and RS7. Plus I prefer the styling of the RS5 and the S7 is too big.
    RS5 with options is going to be around 100k, the base RS7 starts at 113k. Now financing or leasing there will not be that big of a price difference per month... the S7 at the end of the day is still an 7, where the RS5 at the end of the day is going to still be a 5. Meaning that to the untrained eye you’ll be driving an A5 a pose to an A7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current
    2014 AUDI A4
    2003 AUDI A4 Convertible
    2004 VW Touareg V8
    Previous
    2010 BMW 328XI
    2002 BMW M5

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast