Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 121 to 132 of 132

Thread: Avants and RS?

  1. #121
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 23 2015
    AZ Member #
    339002
    Location
    Michigan

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    The real problem is the differing vehicle legalization requirements that the US and the EU have. It's a massive inefficiency in the world. Why should Audi have to go through a separate legalization process with differing crash standards for the US? Why don't the US and the EU share common requirements for emissions and crash safety.

    At the end of the day, a car needs to have some accounting for pedestrian impact,driver/passenger crash safety, and emissions/respect for the environment. This should be standardized across the globe. A car in europe should be no less crash worthy than one made for the US and vice versa. People are people no matter where they are from and the car should be safe for them to an equal and high standard.

    Why is it different between US and EU. That is the real question. Audi already throws away a ton of money to legalize the cars that they do sell in the US (only because they can recover it through high volume sales). But i don't blame them not wanting to waste the time and resource to do it for an RS or RS Avant, when it's a low volume car with not enough profit margin in the US.

  2. #122
    Veteran Member Four Rings AUDIMAN33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 11 2014
    AZ Member #
    138724
    My Garage
    2014 Audi A4, Porsche Cayenne S, Mercedes Benz S430 4matic
    Location
    New York
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by A4Qwattro View Post
    The real problem is the differing vehicle legalization requirements that the US and the EU have. It's a massive inefficiency in the world. Why should Audi have to go through a separate legalization process with differing crash standards for the US? Why don't the US and the EU share common requirements for emissions and crash safety.

    At the end of the day, a car needs to have some accounting for pedestrian impact,driver/passenger crash safety, and emissions/respect for the environment. This should be standardized across the globe. A car in europe should be no less crash worthy than one made for the US and vice versa. People are people no matter where they are from and the car should be safe for them to an equal and high standard.

    Why is it different between US and EU. That is the real question. Audi already throws away a ton of money to legalize the cars that they do sell in the US (only because they can recover it through high volume sales). But i don't blame them not wanting to waste the time and resource to do it for an RS or RS Avant, when it's a low volume car with not enough profit margin in the US.
    What about the E-tron A3? You best believe that the RS3 hatchback would out sell that...
    Current
    2014 AUDI A4
    2003 AUDI A4 Convertible
    2004 VW Touareg V8
    Previous
    2010 BMW 328XI
    2002 BMW M5
    2013 JETTA SE 2003 MERCEDES-BENZ S430 4MATIC 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL LEXUS GS460, 2011 CHEVY CAMARO 2008 BMW X3,2000 Audi A4,2003 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1996 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1988,SCIROCCO16V

  3. #123
    Senior Member Two Rings joe@dubaudi.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 21 2010
    AZ Member #
    56400
    My Garage
    B7 S4 Avant / 2014 Allroad / 2015 Q7 TDI
    Location
    Point Pleasant NJ
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by AUDIMAN33 View Post
    @Audi don't ignore us
    seriously c'mon guys. I am, and have always been, a die hard avant fan. and I always will be... but no one really truly cares about avants including Audi or the NA marketplace. I have a b7 s4 avant and a new allroad and every time I see another avant I always hope that some cool avant dude is gonna throw me a huge thumbs up when he sees me in my shaggen wagon but it's the same scenario EVERY SINGLE time... A 70+ year old grandma cruising home from the garden center with her allroad full of chrysanthemums and organic potting soil. That is the demographic that wants audi wagons so let's please put this discussion to rest. Audi will never bring either RS4 or RS6 here and even if they did no one would buy them. Sure everyone says they would sell off their 2 kids and refi their house but they won't. Lease programs will be non existent, good finance rates won't apply and I know of maybe 1 person that actually has the means to spend the huge amount of money that either of these 2 platforms would call for. and if it came down to it I actually doubt he would pull the trigger if they did come here. Remember how many people ordered b6 and b7 avants from the factory when they were offered in a manual transmission in a 1.8T, 3.2 and 4.2??? Or how about when the B8 was offered in an avant? yea? no one did. Thats exactly the reason they stopped being offered. At this point I'd consider a vw alltrak before a new audi anything since it comes in manual. Anywho.. back to crickets from Audi.

  4. #124
    Established Member Two Rings dbuxton13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 20 2016
    AZ Member #
    372106
    Location
    Germany

    I don't think we're going to get the desired level of detail in a response from this venue. Since Audi HQ (Germany), specifically their Quattro subsidiary (now known as Audi Sport GmbH), will only make the RS in a wagon body, the reply below is in regard to an S4 Avant, rather than an RS. I don't know what type of response anyone would expect, but here is an answer. The same considerations would apply to the RS4, only more severely due to even lower potential sales volume.

    *****

    Thank you for taking the time to contact Audi of America, and your loyalty to the brand.

    I would like to take a moment to answer your recent email. We welcome your feedback, and appreciate your comments for bringing the Audi S4 Avant back to the US. The Avant body design is an important part of Audi DNA and represents almost 50% of Audi vehicles sold in Europe. Although we have some, most American consumers do not seem to have as much enthusiasm for the so-called wagon configuration. This brings us into a dilemma when we want to bring Avant models into the US market. There are very significant homologation differences between the United States and Europe that translate into substantial development costs to bring cars into compliance. When we then consider the modest volume potential for cars of this configuration, the unfortunate conclusion is that it is simply not economically feasible.

    I have documented your comments to be reviewed internally here at Audi of America. If there is anything else I can do for you, please let me know. You can reply to this email or contact me at (877) 615-XXXX, extension XXXX.

    Kindest regards,

    XXXX
    Audi of America
    Last edited by dbuxton13; 01-03-2018 at 02:20 AM.
    B9 S4

  5. #125
    Veteran Member Four Rings AUDIMAN33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 11 2014
    AZ Member #
    138724
    My Garage
    2014 Audi A4, Porsche Cayenne S, Mercedes Benz S430 4matic
    Location
    New York
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by joe@dubaudi.com View Post
    seriously c'mon guys. I am, and have always been, a die hard avant fan. and I always will be... but no one really truly cares about avants including Audi or the NA marketplace. I have a b7 s4 avant and a new allroad and every time I see another avant I always hope that some cool avant dude is gonna throw me a huge thumbs up when he sees me in my shaggen wagon but it's the same scenario EVERY SINGLE time... A 70+ year old grandma cruising home from the garden center with her allroad full of chrysanthemums and organic potting soil. That is the demographic that wants audi wagons so let's please put this discussion to rest. Audi will never bring either RS4 or RS6 here and even if they did no one would buy them. Sure everyone says they would sell off their 2 kids and refi their house but they won't. Lease programs will be non existent, good finance rates won't apply and I know of maybe 1 person that actually has the means to spend the huge amount of money that either of these 2 platforms would call for. and if it came down to it I actually doubt he would pull the trigger if they did come here. Remember how many people ordered b6 and b7 avants from the factory when they were offered in a manual transmission in a 1.8T, 3.2 and 4.2??? Or how about when the B8 was offered in an avant? yea? no one did. Thats exactly the reason they stopped being offered. At this point I'd consider a vw alltrak before a new audi anything since it comes in manual. Anywho.. back to crickets from Audi.
    Demographic's differ from location to location.... Point Pleasant may have 70 year old woman driving Allroads, but in my neighborhoods we may have 30 year old babymommas driving them. The first Allroad was wayyy to far ahead of it's time. Audi wasn't "Something" back then. You wanted a wagon you got a Volvo. Volvo also offered V8's... People didn't order the new avants because they aren't special enough.
    Current
    2014 AUDI A4
    2003 AUDI A4 Convertible
    2004 VW Touareg V8
    Previous
    2010 BMW 328XI
    2002 BMW M5
    2013 JETTA SE 2003 MERCEDES-BENZ S430 4MATIC 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL LEXUS GS460, 2011 CHEVY CAMARO 2008 BMW X3,2000 Audi A4,2003 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1996 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1988,SCIROCCO16V

  6. #126
    Veteran Member Four Rings AUDIMAN33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 11 2014
    AZ Member #
    138724
    My Garage
    2014 Audi A4, Porsche Cayenne S, Mercedes Benz S430 4matic
    Location
    New York
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by dbuxton13 View Post
    I don't think we're going to get the desired level of detail in a response from this venue. Since Audi HQ (Germany), specifically their Quattro subsidiary (now known as Audi Sport GmbH), will only make the RS in a wagon body, the reply below is in regard to an S4 Avant, rather than an RS. I don't know what type of response anyone would expect, but here is an answer. The same considerations would apply to the RS4, only more severely due to even lower potential sales volume.

    *****

    Thank you for taking the time to contact Audi of America, and your loyalty to the brand.

    I would like to take a moment to answer your recent email. We welcome your feedback, and appreciate your comments for bringing the Audi S4 Avant back to the US. The Avant body design is an important part of Audi DNA and represents almost 50% of Audi vehicles sold in Europe. Although we have some, most American consumers do not seem to have as much enthusiasm for the so-called wagon configuration. This brings us into a dilemma when we want to bring Avant models into the US market. There are very significant homologation differences between the United States and Europe that translate into substantial development costs to bring cars into compliance. When we then consider the modest volume potential for cars of this configuration, the unfortunate conclusion is that it is simply not economically feasible.

    I have documented your comments to be reviewed internally here at Audi of America. If there is anything else I can do for you, please let me know. You can reply to this email or contact me at (877) 615-XXXX, extension XXXX.

    Kindest regards,

    XXXX
    Audi of America
    I don't think anyone asked for that Etron...
    Current
    2014 AUDI A4
    2003 AUDI A4 Convertible
    2004 VW Touareg V8
    Previous
    2010 BMW 328XI
    2002 BMW M5
    2013 JETTA SE 2003 MERCEDES-BENZ S430 4MATIC 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL LEXUS GS460, 2011 CHEVY CAMARO 2008 BMW X3,2000 Audi A4,2003 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1996 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1988,SCIROCCO16V

  7. #127
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 23 2015
    AZ Member #
    339002
    Location
    Michigan

    Quote Originally Posted by AUDIMAN33 View Post
    What about the E-tron A3? You best believe that the RS3 hatchback would out sell that...
    Quote Originally Posted by AUDIMAN33 View Post
    I don't think anyone asked for that Etron...
    LOL! You are not wrong.

    Unfortunately that E-Tron as a plug in hybrid sits in a different marketing niche that allows Audi to have some presence in the hybrid/electric market, as well as padding their Corporate Average Fuel economy (CAFE) when it sells.

  8. #128
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 23 2015
    AZ Member #
    339002
    Location
    Michigan

    Quote Originally Posted by dbuxton13 View Post
    This brings us into a dilemma when we want to bring Avant models into the US market. There are very significant homologation differences between the United States and Europe that translate into substantial development costs to bring cars into compliance. When we then consider the modest volume potential for cars of this configuration, the unfortunate conclusion is that it is simply not economically feasible.
    This is what I was alluding to regarding certain Avant models. It's not Audi's fault. It's the governments, its the US, EU, all of the member nations of the United Nations.
    There is no reason that safety standards for a human being should differ. There is no reason that emissions standard in order to protect the environment should differ.

    There is no change because it's all stuck in ancient legacy. One or both sides would have to invest money moving to the other's standard, or to a joint common standard.

    If US and EU shared safety and emissions standards, every single model that Audi sells in Europe, would be available for special order to the US. Beyond the offerings that Audi NA decides to bring here for the dealerships.

  9. #129
    Established Member Two Rings easy_button's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 23 2012
    AZ Member #
    104594
    My Garage
    1992 VW Corrado VR6, 2013 Jeep SRT8
    Location
    NoVa

    Quote Originally Posted by A4Qwattro View Post
    This is what I was alluding to regarding certain Avant models. It's not Audi's fault. It's the governments, its the US, EU, all of the member nations of the United Nations.
    There is no reason that safety standards for a human being should differ. There is no reason that emissions standard in order to protect the environment should differ.

    There is no change because it's all stuck in ancient legacy. One or both sides would have to invest money moving to the other's standard, or to a joint common standard.

    If US and EU shared safety and emissions standards, every single model that Audi sells in Europe, would be available for special order to the US. Beyond the offerings that Audi NA decides to bring here for the dealerships.
    Response was a nice “we do not care what you want”, and realy did not answer the question. Allroad already satisfies most (if not all) of the homologation requirements for the A4 Avant platform; the motor is certified for the RS5... and they are using the ZF slush box across the family. Bringing over (especially as a special order) an RS version would not be a significant investment (hint- the RS4 will be sold in Japan and that market buys fewer wagons than the US, so the “investment” rationale seems a little disingenuous ). AoA wants to sell you both a sports sedan/coupe AND an SUV; not just a wagon.

    Why sell someone one car they can do everything with, when you can create a situation where they “need” to buy two? One they like to drive, and one they can move their dog crate with. Headlights, side markers (both of which get swapped by some) and bumpers (which are a part, and swappable) are pretty much the differences between the markets now - lots of hand waving, not a lot of “investment” required.

    Finally accepting the fact that I am likely part of the reason the RS4/6 don’t have a chance of coming over. Have an RS5 that I love to drive and a Jeep (that I actually hate now) to haul people, pets and stuff; if the RS4 were available, I would only have an RS4...

  10. #130
    Senior Member Two Rings joe@dubaudi.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 21 2010
    AZ Member #
    56400
    My Garage
    B7 S4 Avant / 2014 Allroad / 2015 Q7 TDI
    Location
    Point Pleasant NJ
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by AUDIMAN33 View Post
    Demographic's differ from location to location.... Point Pleasant may have 70 year old woman driving Allroads, but in my neighborhoods we may have 30 year old babymommas driving them. The first Allroad was wayyy to far ahead of it's time. Audi wasn't "Something" back then. You wanted a wagon you got a Volvo. Volvo also offered V8's... People didn't order the new avants because they aren't special enough.
    Well I spend a lot to time in new england and washington dc and every allroad is always driven by an elderly-ish woman/grandma. All the young mom's here (and seemingly everywhere) are driving GL 550's and Q7's.. Including my wife LOL.. They wouldn't be caught dead in a station wagon LOL..

  11. #131
    Veteran Member Four Rings nefkntym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 30 2007
    AZ Member #
    15262
    My Garage
    a bunch of tools
    Location
    Monument, CO
    Items for Sale

    Well, in the past month, I was looking at replacing my S6 with RS7. Thought about it long and hard, ultimately I decided to do some upgrades and buy a replacement wagon. I was leaning really hard towards going back to Volvo and getting a 2016 V60 Polestar, the last 6 cylinder model. The only reason I didn't was because I didn't want to travel to the east coast during the holidays to get it or more correctly, drive back from the east coast after getting it during the holidays. Ultimately, I ended up getting a loaded 2018 Allroad Prestige. I have to say, I really like it. Not a bad vehicle, not an RS4 (or Polestar) by any stretch. I would have loved to get an RS4, and I would have done so in a heart beat had it been available even if it meant going to Bangor, Maine to get it. For me and my wife, the wagon is a great car to go in between my S6 and her Q7. I would still get an RS4 if it was available even with already having an S6 and a Q7.

    A lot of people like me are ready to take the plunge. Your move Audi...
    Last edited by nefkntym; 01-05-2018 at 09:03 AM.
    2017 S6 | Sepang Blue | Prestige | Black Optics | Sport Package | Driver Assistance Package | Carbon Inlays | Cold Weather Package | RS7s | AMS Downpipes | AMS HX | RS7 Intake | MRC Carbon Inlets
    2018 Allroad | Scuba Blue | Prestige | Icy Hot Package
    2018 Q7 | Ink Blue | Prestige | Driver Assistance Package |Night Vision | Cold Weather Package | Towing Package
    2003 A4 Avant | Polar White | 2.7T Swap | 6sp 01E Swap | Tial 605s | ERs | S4 Recaro Interior | TD1 Package

  12. #132
    Veteran Member Four Rings AUDIMAN33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 11 2014
    AZ Member #
    138724
    My Garage
    2014 Audi A4, Porsche Cayenne S, Mercedes Benz S430 4matic
    Location
    New York
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by joe@dubaudi.com View Post
    Well I spend a lot to time in new england and washington dc and every allroad is always driven by an elderly-ish woman/grandma. All the young mom's here (and seemingly everywhere) are driving GL 550's and Q7's.. Including my wife LOL.. They wouldn't be caught dead in a station wagon LOL..
    Q7 is a certified baby momma car...
    Current
    2014 AUDI A4
    2003 AUDI A4 Convertible
    2004 VW Touareg V8
    Previous
    2010 BMW 328XI
    2002 BMW M5
    2013 JETTA SE 2003 MERCEDES-BENZ S430 4MATIC 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL LEXUS GS460, 2011 CHEVY CAMARO 2008 BMW X3,2000 Audi A4,2003 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1996 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1988,SCIROCCO16V

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.