Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Leaking Transmission pan, anyone use this one from ECS

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I just did my transmission fluid at 142,000 and shes shifting better overall which is a pleasant surprise. However the new gasket is leaking. I used a Meyle filter and gasket kit.

I did not let the pan hang at all on any of the bolts, I tightened in a star pattern, and I tightened to 10NM of torque. But It has a slow leak. About a drop or two an hour. I went around and torqued them up to 15NM and it is still leaking. I am wondering If I have to drop the pan again I should just used this pan from ECS.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-mtc-part...1v321359b~mtc/

It's only $30. And what is every ones favorite gasket? Rubber, paper, cork, etc. The meyle one is paper. I had a rubber one on before and that did not leak.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Another thought was to give it a week or two and see if the fluid thickens a bit after driving. Maybe the leak would fix itself?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I would stick to the paper one. I changed mine a couple days ago but I used a very thin layer of hylomar on both sides of gasket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Audizine mobile app

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Kmccrac4 View Post
    I would stick to the paper one. I changed mine a couple days ago but I used a very thin layer of hylomar on both sides of gasket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Audizine mobile app
    So I drove to our nearest auto parts store to get a new gasket and some extra fluid. Our closest store is an hour away. Ran some errands, drove back so a solid 2 hours of driving. I have not had a drip since the trip. That was two days ago and I have paper towels under the car. Before it was seeping out consistently, I would wipe around the gasket and be able to watch fluid refill where I wiped. I am guessing the new fluid mixed with the fluid in the TC? Anyways I may be in the clear but I will keep a close eye on it.

Active Member Two Rings Xplycko's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 A6 2.7t 6 Speed, Nissan Xterra, Jeep CJ7

Sometimes a new gasket needs time to seat. I have had to retorque rubber gaskets many times in the past but I like them for their staying power and forgiveness with uneven surfaces. Just keep an eye on it, I bet it finally sealed from heat and expansion. The fluid would not make a difference in the leak. If anything the older broke down fluid would leak worse because it may have lost viscosity. Just my $.2

Sent from my ALCATEL A564C using Audizine mobile app

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Xplycko View Post
    Sometimes a new gasket needs time to seat. I have had to retorque rubber gaskets many times in the past but I like them for their staying power and forgiveness with uneven surfaces. Just keep an eye on it, I bet it finally sealed from heat and expansion. The fluid would not make a difference in the leak. If anything the older broke down fluid would leak worse because it may have lost viscosity. Just my $.2

Thanks man, my first pan drop.

Active Member Two Rings Xplycko's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 A6 2.7t 6 Speed, Nissan Xterra, Jeep CJ7

Yeah it happens. I least like the cork but some swear by it. Just recheck your torque in a couple days and keep an eye out for leaks. Its possible to sometimes get a bad gasket. I have had this happen in the past as well but not very common with paper or rubber.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Just make sure the fluid didn't leak to the point to where the fluid level is below the gasket level. Maybe that's why it stoped leaking. Or maybe it finally seated and sealed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings ECS Tuning-Audi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

May just needed a few heat cycles to seal up. Double check your level just to be sure it hasn't gotten to low. If your level is good and it's no longer leaking I would forget about it!

Jason

sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
    Customer Service Hours: 8:00AM to 8:00PM EST
    Sales Team Hours: 8:00AM to 11:00PM EST
    OEM Audi Part Number Search with Pricing<--- Click me!