Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring S5droptop's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '12 Audi S5 cabriolet

Opinions on top, open or closed?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    When garaged and not driving for a few days at a time, what is your opinion, is it better to put the top up or leave it down? With the known issue of glass/fabric separation and the complicated choreography that goes on with the mechanism while opening and closing, which is the lesser of two evils, wear and tear on the mechanism or fabric from being folded/creased? Is there a recommended best practice? Appreciate any insight that can be offered. Also any recommendations on top preventative maintenance would be welcome.

Veteran Member Three Rings IslandHydro's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Sun EZ-Sport AX LWB Bent

I look at it this way: If there is any moisture, top is up so it can dry. Otherwise, the upping and downing is the major wear and tear, so do it as little as possible. If it's down, leave it down and if you have to raise it next time it goes out, so be it. When putting the top up/down, less is more. My cab isn't a dd, so I have the luxury of leaving it in the garage, top down till the sun shines next.
    B6 S4 Cabriolet
    Milltek exhaust w/ SW tips, H9 fogs (DRL), denison Ipod adapter.
    Debadged except the rings, TWM Leopard shift knob.
    TD Pro Race 1.2 Wheels, Continental Extreme Contact DWS.

Active Member One Ring S5droptop's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '12 Audi S5 cabriolet

Thanks for replying, your thoughts make sense and are pretty much in line with what I was thinking. My main concern is what is more stressful on the window/fabric connection, being folded up or the actual process of folding. I tend to agree that the less folding/unfolding the better.