Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings Raacerx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '16 S3
    Items for Sale

Canon 70-300mm L USM IS - Any opinions?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Kind of a random quiet place to grab an opinion, but curious if anyone here has experience with the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM?

I'm looking for a relatively fast zoom lens that hits 300mm (at least). Less concerned about size and weight, more about autofocus speed and general speed (I tend to shoot in a lot of lower light environments). The 70-300 is relatively new, so I'm curious how it might compare to a 100-400 IS II (which I'd prefer, but is out of the price range @ $1800).

The only other lens I'm considering is the new Tamron 150-600 G2; totally different lens, but I'd love to move past 300mm and still be able to capture down to 150. My biggest concern is reliability over time, and there are a lot of comments about even the newer G2 being pretty slow with it's autofocus. Not going to work for moving wildlife.

Anyone? Didn't there use to be a camera section?
    The Best Things in Life Are Free... Or Heavily Discounted!

Site Moderator Four Rings OverSpun's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    F21L A4TQMS Avant | German Shepherd
    Items for Sale

I have a 100-400L. If you shoot in low light conditions, you need something with a lower aperture range. Or use a tripod.

Look at the 70-200L since it has f/2.8. I'd prefer to have the 70-200 f/2.8 IS w/ a doubler for 400mm. I feel like getting the 70-200 IS and 2x sometime. I use my 85mm f/2.8 prime for low light since I don't really need the range. I used my 17-40mm f/4.0L at night without an issue. It's basically a landscape lens anyway.

The Photo forum is still here but the rest were merged into GCC.
    Nick - Moderator | PM Questions or Comments

Current: '01 A4 TQMS Avant: GIAC | RaceTec FMIC | Frankenturbo | Milltek | PSS9s | 034 | Forge | V&S | Sportec | OEM+ | etc...
    Prev: '03 996 GT2 | '08 E92 335i | '05 A4 TQM USP | '01 A4 TQMS

B5 Parts For Sale

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '16 S3
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by OverSpun View Post
    I have a 100-400L. If you shoot in low light conditions, you need something with a lower aperture range. Or use a tripod.

Look at the 70-200L since it has f/2.8. I'd prefer to have the 70-200 f/2.8 IS w/ a doubler for 400mm. I feel like getting the 70-200 IS and 2x sometime. I use my 85mm f/2.8 prime for low light since I don't really need the range. I used my 17-40mm f/4.0L at night without an issue. It's basically a landscape lens anyway.

The Photo forum is still here but the rest were merged into GCC.
    Thanks Nick. Do you have the I or the II 100-400? I borrowed my buddy's original 100-400, and wasn't all that impressed (was still nice but I wasn't blown away by the autofocus), but may have just been old. I've heard the newer one is drastically better and faster, but who knows. It felt like an outdated lens to me. Reviews seemed to back that up after the fact.

I'm realistic with desires of the lens; when I say lower light, I mean broad daylight but maybe a bit cloudy, or in a shadow behind a mountain but still light out; ie not ideal, but not actual low light. 200mm definitely isn't enough for me, and I've always been skeptical of the range extenders. Plus, I generally only see the 1.4x and 1.6x? I tend to find that image stabilization is worth more to me than even going from 4.0 down to 2.8, since I tend to shoot in a lot of less than ideal situations.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

I have the IS I since I've had it for a long time. AF was quick enough on the track but I suppose the new one is better but it works good with my 5D MKIII still. I think mine was ~$1600 about 10 years back when I bought it. The new extenders are better though. I was also skeptical of those before they revised them.

This is what I would get. Pretty good reviews-

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...EF_2X_III.html

You should be able to adjust your camera settings for low light and it should work with any lens.

Current: '01 A4 TQMS Avant: GIAC | RaceTec FMIC | Frankenturbo | Milltek | PSS9s | 034 | Forge | V&S | Sportec | OEM+ | etc...

B5 Parts For Sale

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '16 S3
    Items for Sale

I have the IS I since I've had it for a long time. AF was quick enough on the track but I suppose the new one is better but it works good with my 5D MKIII still. I think mine was ~$1600 about 10 years back when I bought it. The new extenders are better though. I was also skeptical of those before they revised them.

This is what I would get. Pretty good reviews-

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...EF_2X_III.html

You should be able to adjust your camera settings for low light and it should work with any lens.
    Meh, picked up a used 70-300 for $700 (they were going to list at $900, with buyers waiting). It just randomly came in yesterday as a dude unloaded all his Canon gear, to move to Fuji?!? I work next to a S@my's Camera, they treat us really well. 2 year warranty was only 5% more. Giving the China knockoff Canon lens tripod mount a shot as well; $18 seems worth the test before forking over $175 for the freaking Canon one?! I was pretty impressed with the AI Servo already with cars coming at me. Going to play with it tonight, inspect some images.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Raacerx View Post
    Meh, picked up a used 70-300 for $700 (they were going to list at $900, with buyers waiting). It just randomly came in yesterday as a dude unloaded all his Canon gear, to move to Fuji?!? I work next to a S@my's Camera, they treat us really well. 2 year warranty was only 5% more. Giving the China knockoff Canon lens tripod mount a shot as well; $18 seems worth the test before forking over $175 for the freaking Canon one?! I was pretty impressed with the AI Servo already with cars coming at me. Going to play with it tonight, inspect some images.
    I rented a big telephoto at Samy's down here and it actually sucked. It could barely focus or do much. It was about 15 years back when I had my first DSLR (Rebel EOS). I guess I should have rented an L glass lens to see. You can look on this Canon forum for info and buy/sell used stuff-

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

I've been on there for a long time but I don't post much. Same username there.

B5 Parts For Sale

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '16 S3
    Items for Sale

Last edited by Raacerx; 04-26-2017 at 08:13 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Your pic is not showing up.

B5 Parts For Sale

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '16 S3
    Items for Sale

Your pic is not showing up.
    Darn. I can't figure out how to link Google photos to the public. Works for me but not others I guess. Updated the pic link.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

That worked, looks good. Sonoma Raceway?

B5 Parts For Sale

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '16 S3
    Items for Sale

That worked, looks good. Sonoma Raceway?
    Yeah, track weekend. Viper was doing 1:42's. Crazy. I do 1:58 hahaha.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Raacerx View Post
    Yeah, track weekend. Viper was doing 1:42's. Crazy. I do 1:58 hahaha.
    That's crazy. In your S3? I am not that familiar with the track since I have only done the Audi Experience event and Audizine's "Audirama" rally that included a little parade lap around the track.

B5 Parts For Sale