Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings westCOA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Newbie to the B7 sorry for the noob question.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So my story begins,

I bought a 2007 A4 2.0 awd 6 speed MT sline for $1250 (1000 if it doesn't need a bottom end). Its a one owner car with 105000 on it.
    Guy pulls into his drive way one night then goes to start it the next morning and crank no start. Indie shop tells him timing is off and needs the head rebuilt. I buy the car, tow it home, remove the valve cover and turn it over while watching each cylinder with a bore scope. We notice the intake cam isn't turning, figure broken cam chain, pull the rear cover and the chain is still on both gears, rotate engine and watch the intake cam gear just spining on the intake cam.

I removed the intake cam while leaving the exhaust in. I am replacing the intake cam, follower, chain and tensioner. My question is is there going to be enough slack in the chain without the exhaust cam valve adjuster removed to re time the cams?
    Last edited by westCOA4; 03-21-2017 at 06:24 AM.

Established Member Three Rings wriscolf's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1993 Nissan 240sx Convertible with Silvia Front

I have no clue on the machanic end but you just bought a Titanium edition for 1,250. Nice pick up. Even if you get a brand new motor, i think you still winning. I would suggest check electrical but since you are manually spinning motor, it doesnt seem like its that. Good luck.

Just to add. Last time my car didnt crank over after being fine was the relays under ECU. but again i doubt its that since you are seeing things not working.
    2007 Audi A4 S-Line Titanium Edition/Phantom Black/Magnaflow Exhaust/APR Stage 1/APR Carbonio Intake/Lots of Headaches/

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Surprised their is such a stress crack. Wouldn't think that would be the problem. Good catch and Nice car as Wrisolf said.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by yxri View Post
    Surprised their is such a stress crack. Wouldn't think that would be the problem. Good catch and Nice car as Wrisolf said.
    The crack goes all the way thru the cam gear and the gear just spins on the cam.
    Last edited by westCOA4; 03-21-2017 at 07:34 AM.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by wriscolf View Post
    I have no clue on the machanic end but you just bought a Titanium edition for 1,250. Nice pick up. Even if you get a brand new motor, i think you still winning. I would suggest check electrical but since you are manually spinning motor, it doesnt seem like its that. Good luck.

Just to add. Last time my car didnt crank over after being fine was the relays under ECU. but again i doubt its that since you are seeing things not working.
    How can you tell it's a Titanium edition?

Veteran Member Four Rings mcpcartier's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 A4 2.0T Q 6MT, S-Line, Ti Pkg, Black, 08 xB, 13 Ex Ltd

those are the wheels that come on a titantium...

is the interior trim piano black, the roof line anthracite (black/charcoal), red stitching on the steering wheel?
    2007 2.0T Q 6MT, S-Line, Ti Package, BB
    Revo Stage 2 | JHM Stage 1 Clutch | K&N Drop in | APR HPFP | 034 HFC | AWE Catback | OEM DV Upgrade | 034 SD Tranny & Motor Mounts | Neuspeed Snub | H&R Sport Springs | Bilsteins | Moog ACA | B5 Perches (removed) | RS4 RSB | ABT Drilled n Slotted Rotors | Podi Stepper Boost Gauge | H&R Spacers 15f/20r | Clear Corners w/Blackout | Smoked Frt Markers | Cupra R Lip | 20% Tint

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mcpcartier View Post
    those are the wheels that come on a titantium...

is the interior trim piano black, the roof line anthracite (black/charcoal), red stitching on the steering wheel?

Does this look right?

Senior Member Three Rings Ashtonts's Avatar
    AZ Member #

^^Definitely a TI package car, those always make me jealous haha!
    2005.5 A4 2.0T Brilliant Red | 6MT | Quattro | S-Line | K04 | DTM Skirts | DTM Rear | Recaro | ST Coilovers | Black Miro 111 19" | Carbonio | Maestro | S3 Injectors | IE Rods | JHM FMIC | Autotech HPFP | ECS Short Shifter | 034 Adj. UCAs | JHM Stg 2+ Clutch | CC + Joey Mod Bixenons | USP HFC | Custom Quad-tip Exhaust | S4 Brakes | RS4 Grille | Votex Spoiler | Shadowline Trim | LED Tails | A8 Rings | RNSe | 20% Window Tint

Senior Member Four Rings dalmation53's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B7

Damn what a steal. Mine was cheaper at $1000 with timing belt damage. Anyways one thing to look at is take the valve cover off and crank to tdc on cylinder #1. And look at the cam lobes in the rear they should be parallele to eachother. If is out of time then forget it. Either way what ever you do buy the chain, tensioner, cam follower,all new gaskets, and when you put it to tdc take a pic of the camshaft and let us see.

Sent from my C5306 using Tapatalk
    Ivan

Veteran Member Four Rings canadianA4B7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts
    Items for Sale

I'll have an oem intake cam out of my car soon. If you need one I'll sell it to you on the cheap!
    4 turbos (soon 5), 2 motors, 1 B7 A4

AZ Member #

I removed the intake cam while leaving the exhaust cam in with the timing belt on. I am replacing the intake cam, follower, chain and tensioner and all new bolts for the cam cradle. My question is, is there going to be enough slack in the chain without the exhaust cam valve adjuster removed to re time the cams? I am assuming that I can install the new tensioner ( leaving it compressed) put the new chain on the new intake cam and over the exhaust cam gear, and this when things get a little confusing. How I am I going to time the cams and secure the cam cradle? I saw a post in here where this has been done before but it goes "old intake out then new intake in with cam cradle".

Established Member Four Rings pezgoon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I can't help you but just wanted to say what a steal you got!!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Eric

2005.5 6mt A4 2.0(red T ) Silver metallic outside, Platinum inside.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by westCOA4 View Post
    How can you tell it's a Titanium edition?
    Wheels, the blacked out grill, the door doesnt have chrome and black interior. Unless prev owner did all that which i doubt since car looks stock and owner quit on car rather fast.

I also have the same exact car. From the pictures, i can tell its a phantom black also. ;)
    2007 Audi A4 S-Line Titanium Edition/Phantom Black/Magnaflow Exhaust/APR Stage 1/APR Carbonio Intake/Lots of Headaches/

AZ Member #

Thank you for all the info, like I said newbie to the Audi game.

Sent from my VK815 using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by pezgoon View Post
    I can't help you but just wanted to say what a steal you got!!

I am trying to explain this to the wife but hard for her to grasp since its not running but the parts will be here tomorrow then I have to wait for the sealnt on the cam cradle to dry. I didn't see any bent valves with the bore scope at least exhust side and all the intakes were fully seated so we will see. I figured it was worth the gamble..

Established Member Two Rings enizi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Hell of a deal, even if you need to buy/rebuild a motor for it

AZ Member #

Installed new intake cam, follower,chain and tensioner. Put 50 miles on it today.

Veteran Member Four Rings canadianA4B7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts
    Items for Sale

Awesome!!!!
    4 turbos (soon 5), 2 motors, 1 B7 A4

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

And that makes you less noob than 90% of us here. That's a steal. I'll give you double what you paid for the car. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08 ibis white A4 quattro 6 mt s-line

Veteran Member Four Rings mcpcartier's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 A4 2.0T Q 6MT, S-Line, Ti Pkg, Black, 08 xB, 13 Ex Ltd

Installed new intake cam, follower,chain and tensioner. Put 50 miles on it today.

nice....enjoy her...
    2007 2.0T Q 6MT, S-Line, Ti Package, BB
    Revo Stage 2 | JHM Stage 1 Clutch | K&N Drop in | APR HPFP | 034 HFC | AWE Catback | OEM DV Upgrade | 034 SD Tranny & Motor Mounts | Neuspeed Snub | H&R Sport Springs | Bilsteins | Moog ACA | B5 Perches (removed) | RS4 RSB | ABT Drilled n Slotted Rotors | Podi Stepper Boost Gauge | H&R Spacers 15f/20r | Clear Corners w/Blackout | Smoked Frt Markers | Cupra R Lip | 20% Tint

AZ Member #

Just rolled 150 miles and got a CEL with code P2181 engine cooling system performance. Screen shot says 162 degrees.

Veteran Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II
    Items for Sale

Thermostat
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,S6 19 inch rims. S4 mirror caps,RS4 Mesh Style Grill,LED tail lites
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd

AZ Member #

....How fun

Veteran Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II
    Items for Sale

....How fun
    Welcome to Audi ownership.....
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,S6 19 inch rims. S4 mirror caps,RS4 Mesh Style Grill,LED tail lites
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd

AZ Member #

Super cool oil filter design too...not. It has definitely been fun to drive though.

AZ Member #

Quick question for you. As you were replacing (or maybe you didn't have to ) your cam chain and tensioner,did you take off exhaust camshaft adjuster bolt? And if so....does it come off clockwise or counter clockwise? In other words while the engine is in and you are standing on the passenger side did you pull your breaker bar or push it? I know this seems silly but I've read contradicting info and want to make sure I don't mess it up.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by z_wrecker View Post
    Quick question for you. As you were replacing (or maybe you didn't have to ) your cam chain and tensioner,did you take off exhaust camshaft adjuster bolt? And if so....does it come off clockwise or counter clockwise? In other words while the engine is in and you are standing on the passenger side did you pull your breaker bar or push it? I know this seems silly but I've read contradicting info and want to make sure I don't mess it up.

Are you just replacing the chain and tensioner? If so then you would pull on the adjuster bolt standing on the passenger side. I had a crack thru the intake gear and had to replace it. After looking at both option i.e removing the timing belt, and the exhaust cam adjuster and possibly stripping the bolt or breaking one of the seals in the adjuster I chose to remove the cam cradle and not touching the timing belt or exhaust cam adjuster.
    Last edited by westCOA4; 03-27-2017 at 09:48 PM.

AZ Member #

Are you just replacing the chain and tensioner? If so then you would pull on the adjuster bolt standing on the passenger side. I had a crack thru the intake gear and had to replace it. After looking at both option i.e removing the timing belt, and the exhaust cam adjuster and possibly stripping the bolt or breaking one of the seals in the adjuster I chose to remove the cam cradle and not touching the timing belt or exhaust cam adjuster.
    So pulling it would mean it comes off clockwise. Ok great! Thanks!! Yes I am just replacing the cam chain and tensioner.

AZ Member #

So pulling it would mean it comes off clockwise. Ok great! Thanks!! Yes I am just replacing the cam chain and tensioner.

If standing on the passenger side and pulling towards you would be counter clockwise I always base it off if I am looking directly at the bolt.

AZ Member #

Newbie to the B7 sorry for the noob question.

If standing on the passenger side and pulling towards you would be counter clockwise I always base it off if I am looking directly at the bolt.
    Hmmmm no that would be clockwise, counter would be pushing it

Unless you've got right hand drive then your correct

I drew you a picture

Ignore the baguette 🥖 of a ratchet, but you should understand pretty well

I've no idea which way it needs to turn, but that's which way would be clockwise and counter clockwise

Eric

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Score on a good deal....good luck with it.

AZ Member #

This picture should be in every DIY! I was under the same impression that pushing it would loosen it, but I've read a few threads where people said they pulled on it rather than pushed

I drew you a picture

I've no idea which way it needs to turn, but that's which way would be clockwise and counter clockwise

AZ Member #

This picture should be in every DIY! I was under the same impression that pushing it would loosen it, but I've read a few threads where people said they pulled on it rather than pushed
    Yep I was confused

AZ Member #

I drew you a picture

Wow I was totally off on that

AZ Member #

I do the same thing you do. Visualize myself behind the bolt....or take a ratchet and put it in the same position so I don't just BDA (Big Dumb Animal) the crap out it
    Yep I was confused

AZ Member #

Haha, thank you thank you *bows*

Yep I was confused
    Wow I was totally off on that
    I do the same thing you do. Visualize myself behind the bolt....or take a ratchet and put it in the same position so I don't just BDA (Big Dumb Animal) the crap out it
    I do the same as well in both respects that's why I wanted to draw it out to clarify it, often times I just do the ratchet in my hand like you said to make sure it's heading the right way

I just wanna clarify, pushing the bolt may loosen it, I make no claims as to knowing whether the bolt is regular or reverse threaded, I simply wanted to show which direction was clockwise and which direction was counter clockwise

Again, you both may be right that pushing it loosens it \_(ツ)_/

Eric

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I drew you a picture

Oh my god! look at the definition on the bolt! this should be hanged up in a AZ hall of fame!

I am happy my twin in Colorado is up and alive!

AZ Member #

Oh my god! look at the definition on the bolt! this should be hanged up in a AZ hall of fame!

I am happy my twin in Colorado is up and alive!
    Hahahaha that's hand drawn too ain't no MS paint trickery

I almost redrew it cause the ratchet came out so terrible, although I was thinking of my 3/4" ratchet since everyone says the bolt is so tight and then realized halfway through that it is not representative of what most people have for the biggest ratchet (1/2") haha

I even drew the socket to look like this socket

https://www.europaparts.com/camshaft...metalnerd.html

That took me some time man! I was thinking about getting more detailed in the engine bay too but I figured it worked

Eric

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Hahahaha that's hand drawn too ain't no MS paint trickery

I almost redrew it cause the ratchet came out so terrible, although I was thinking of my 3/4" ratchet since everyone says the bolt is so tight and then realized halfway through that it is not representative of what most people have for the biggest ratchet (1/2") haha

I even drew the socket to look like this socket

https://www.europaparts.com/camshaft...metalnerd.html

That took me some time man! I was thinking about getting more detailed in the engine bay too but I figured it worked

You know what! I see it now! oh wow... Lets put this in The Met (Metropolitan Museum of Art) in NYC!

lol Pezgoon. You one cool dude. lol

AZ Member #

You know what! I see it now! oh wow... Lets put this in The Met (Metropolitan Museum of Art) in NYC!

lol Pezgoon. You one cool dude. lol
    Hahahaha I could use an additional source of income

Eric