Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '09 CC VR6 Sport
    Items for Sale

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    One of my boys picked up a new Jetta GLI Edition 30 a few years ago. It has the EA888 2.0L engine. It is rated for 200 HP and 207 torque but personally I think the output is considerably underrated. In purely stock condition that thing is pretty damn fast. He said he was going to chip it this summer. Once he chips it I have no doubt it will blow the doors off my B6. Granted it is about 400 lbs lighter and front wheel drive, but still.....
    Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L mixed flow turbo/ Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / FT 3" TIP / Bailey's DV / TyrolSport SMIC / FT High Flow Exhaust Manifold / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla Exhaust / Eibach ProKit Springs / Koni Yellows / H-Sport Sway Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi Boost Gauge / Neuspeed Snub / Plus a few more goodies

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Yea vag definitely fudged with the outputs for the ea888s. My wife's 2012 q5 2.0t feels noticeably slower than the otherwise identical 2017 q5 2.0t loaner we currently have (in for broken window and curtain airbag recall) despite the listed outputs being the same. I might do a bit of snooping and note the engine code of the loaner and compare what I can do that to my wife's cars engine code.

Anyway yea they definitely seem underrated. They're pretty fantastic engines and take to tuning VERY well.

The q5 gets horrific mileage though. 23 highway with a roof box driving to Montana where my b7 with the same roof box got 28. And the q5 has the ZF 8-speed so it doesn't have an excuse really.
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S plugs - Q5 Rear Aero Wiper
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

Established Member Three Rings eljay's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have yet to play with Maestro that came with my B6. It does seem so straightforward how to begin and I don't have any files or access to Eurodyne account from PO. I guess I have to log the car and then adjust what I have. I wish I had some base/backup file for my hardware in case I mess up.

On the topic of keeping my 175k B6, I constantly have crazy thoughts of selling it as my 12k miles ownership has been very very expensive. Then I realize that it is only expensive if I only use the 12k miles of all the money I put into it and the rational thing is actually keeping it. So, I put another $1000 in it and wait for the next $1k decision agony attack. The latest such expense is the A/C system refresh with new compressor etc.

Another thing that helps is that beyond a 2008, there is no manual Avant available and I must have an Avant and manual. Even my wife refuses to drive an auto. So, in the end, it's easier to keep the B6 as we both love it.
    I love the new Allroad and like even the new S5 Sportback. But we'd never spend that kind of money on a new car and they do not come with a manual option.

Perhaps, I need to keep an eye on a nice 2011ish BMW 328xi Touring as those still came with a stirring stick.
    2005 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Avant / 6-speed / Ultrasport - Unicorn rescue operation in progress.

Senior Member Three Rings cmiguel32's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4 1.8 QT MT

I recently came to a crossroads of keep the B6 or move on, and I decided to go with the engine swap route. I just couldn't find a German 4 door turbo/manual option that appealed to me at a price-point I wanted. I'm fairly brand-loyal to VAG at this point. Electronic steering really bothers me too. My girlfriends 2017 Q5 is comfortable, but just alien feeling to me.

As mentioned previously, the Golf R is a great choice. I'll get to drive my friend's manual MKVII all weekend at Wookies in the Woods in a couple weeks. If only they made the S3 in a manual option here in the states. That would be my go to.
    Chris

2L Stroker/Built AWM head with IE Cams - JHM 01E Trans/trio/stage 4 RS4 flywheel/clutch - SEM manifold - F21 Mixed Flow - Motoza MTC w E85 - Bosch 750cc - TR18T FMIC - 034 engine/trans mounts - Decorsa Exhaust - Koni adjustable coils - Hotchkis FSB/034 RSB - B5S4/B7A4 Brakes - Color DIS and VFIZ - Lots of S4 cosmetic & interior retrofitting - etc.
    EFR Build coming soon.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

A manual 8V S3 would be awesome. I love how they look and they're a really good size.

An etron hatch would be a killer commuter car as well but not very fun.
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S plugs - Q5 Rear Aero Wiper
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount

Veteran Member Four Rings A4SoftWalker's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    02A4 1.8TQMS, 05V70R, BMW535i

Quote Originally Posted by eljay View Post

On the topic of keeping my 175k B6, I constantly have crazy thoughts of selling it as my 12k miles ownership has been very very expensive. Then I realize that it is only expensive if I only use the 12k miles of all the money I put into it and the rational thing is actually keeping it. So, I put another $1000 in it and wait for the next $1k decision agony attack. The latest such expense is the A/C system refresh with new compressor etc.

Another thing that helps is that beyond a 2008, there is no manual Avant available and I must have an Avant and manual. Even my wife refuses to drive an auto. So, in the end, it's easier to keep the B6 as we both love it.
    I love the new Allroad and like even the new S5 Sportback. But we'd never spend that kind of money on a new car and they do not come with a manual option.

Perhaps, I need to keep an eye on a nice 2011ish BMW 328xi Touring as those still came with a stirring stick.
    I hear ya... my AC is in need of a refresh too. I dont blame it. System worked fine for 11years until I punctured the condenser (whole other story).

Any Avant beyond 2008 will need $$$ for me to enjoy it - would have to do a tranny swap. I need a "stirring stick" as well to feel connected.

I had my eye on the 505hp 2.9L twin turbo v6 Giulia. Was advertised with a man and auto option. Until it came time to deliver and the man was nixed for US market. Bad idea when we got the M5 in man and when many were set to have one of the few true 4dr sports sedans available here with a "stirring stick".

There are some spears of daylight though - VW Sportwagen AWD 170hp 1.8T...the way it was for us , Golf R 400... yeah right, Cadillac ATS V... did I just say Cadillac? Even Kia as you read this is introducing a twin turbo sports sedan that looks a lot like the Porsche Panamera and also WITHOUT a "stirring stick". A pretender to the throne. If that car had a manual it might have garnered a few more glances from the REAL car and driving enthusiasts and critics. Some people like to hang on to the wheel and just steer/go/stop. Others like to be more involved in the process.

But I degress...

HENCE we continue to "play with fire" like Fletcher in order to get a little closer to the vroom-vroom sandbox/play days our youth.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles.waite View Post
    A manual 8V S3 would be awesome. I love how they look and they're a really good size.

An etron hatch would be a killer commuter car as well but not very fun.
    Too bad the whole A3/S3 line are without "stirring sticks".
    'SOFTWALKER MODS
    Do U have a Bentley/Dealer Manual & Tools to work on UR car properly?
    Hit-or-miss expecting manna to fall from AZ?
    Personal Motto>Walk Softly Carry a Big Stick. YEAH I'M BACK!
    BUILD? Click & be Amazed!
    Avant>Sedan! Click

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by A4SoftWalker View Post
    I hear ya... my AC is in need of a refresh too. I dont blame it. System worked fine for 11years until I punctured the condenser (whole other story).

Any Avant beyond 2008 will need $$$ for me to enjoy it - would have to do a tranny swap. I need a "stirring stick" as well to feel connected.

I had my eye on the 505hp 2.9L twin turbo v6 Giulia. Was advertised with a man and auto option. Until it came time to deliver and the man was nixed for US market. Bad idea when we got the M5 in man and when many were set to have one of the few true 4dr sports sedans available here with a "stirring stick".

There are some spears of daylight though - VW Sportwagen AWD 170hp 1.8T...the way it was for us , Golf R 400... yeah right, Cadillac ATS V... did I just say Cadillac? Even Kia as you read this is introducing a twin turbo sports sedan that looks a lot like the Porsche Panamera and also WITHOUT a "stirring stick". A pretender to the throne. If that car had a manual it might have garnered a few more glances from the REAL car and driving enthusiasts and critics. Some people like to hang on to the wheel and just steer/go/stop. Others like to be more involved in the process.

But I degress...

HENCE we continue to "play with fire" like Fletcher in order to get a little closer to the vroom-vroom sandbox/play days our youth.

Too bad the whole A3/S3 line are without "stirring sticks".
    I know. Such a bummer. It's gotta have a clutch pedal or I'll never buy it.

I've also mulled over (not seriously, but mulled nonetheless) a b8 avant manual swap. I wager it could be as simple as on the b6/7. Simpler actually since the b8 doesn't have different crankshaft flanges to contend with. But I have no real evidence to back that up other than ETKA part number sleuthing and some educated guesses.
    -CP

Veteran Member Four Rings SleeperAvant's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I know. Such a bummer. It's gotta have a clutch pedal or I'll never buy it.

I've also mulled over (not seriously, but mulled nonetheless) a b8 avant manual swap. I wager it could be as simple as on the b6/7. Simpler actually since the b8 doesn't have different crankshaft flanges to contend with. But I have no real evidence to back that up other than ETKA part number sleuthing and some educated guesses.
    Im surprised no one has done that already...
    -Steve

2005 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro MT - Billet Comp Turbo 4756, AEB Head, JHM B7 RS4 Clutch, Meth, Maestro, Bilstein PSS9, B5 S4 Front Brakes, BBS RC - BUILT BY ALMOST RACING
    Dyno coming soon this June

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by SleeperAvant View Post
    Im surprised no one has done that already...
    Me too. My guess is part of it is cost and the other part is many of them still have warranties.
    -CP

Veteran Member Four Rings jjvwg's Avatar
    AZ Member #

There's 2-3 b8 avant manual swaps around, but one is a full s4 drivetrain swap. Id like to look into the manual swap for mine down the road.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by jjvwg View Post
    There's 2-3 b8 avant manual swaps around, but one is a full s4 drivetrain swap. Id like to look into the manual swap for mine down the road.
    Interesting. I've read the thread on the 3.0t swapped avant but don't follow the b8 section at all so I never knew about the others.
    -CP

Veteran Member Four Rings SleeperAvant's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Interesting. I've read the thread on the 3.0t swapped avant but don't follow the b8 section at all so I never knew about the others.
    Same here. Perhaps that would be my "new" car and its project
    -Steve

2005 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro MT - Billet Comp Turbo 4756, AEB Head, JHM B7 RS4 Clutch, Meth, Maestro, Bilstein PSS9, B5 S4 Front Brakes, BBS RC - BUILT BY ALMOST RACING
    Dyno coming soon this June

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MK3 VR6

Quote Originally Posted by A4SoftWalker View Post
    Cadillac ATS V... did I just say Cadillac?
    3.6L 464-hp Twin-Turbo producing 445 lb.-ft. torque, high-strength, lightweight titanium connecting rods, low-inertia titanium aluminide turbine wheels with optimized compressors and a patented low-volume, charge-air cooler create near immediate torque response. Yes please! I've been eyeing those as well Jo. Sick ride.
    2005 1.8T Quattro
    Motoza Stage 1+ / stock K03 Turbo / Bosch EV14 550cc injectors / IE intake manifold / Carbonio CF intake / BB Stealth cat-back exhaust / APR cast DV / Evolution Racewerks Competition FMIC / JHM short shifter + linkages / 034 street density motor/trans mounts, upper(adjustable) & lower control arms / Neuspeed snub mount / Bilstein PSS9 coilovers / Hotchkis S4 Sway bar set 35/27mm w/ 034 end links

AZ Member #

Yea vag definitely fudged with the outputs for the ea888s. My wife's 2012 q5 2.0t feels noticeably slower than the otherwise identical 2017 q5 2.0t loaner we currently have (in for broken window and curtain airbag recall) despite the listed outputs being the same. I might do a bit of snooping and note the engine code of the loaner and compare what I can do that to my wife's cars engine code.
    Maybe they under rated it 'new' to reflect it's actual output after carbon build-up :-)

My stock B7 2.0t is night and day compared to my previously stock B6 1.8t. The 2.0t has such a more useable torque curve.
    B6 2.7t --Stg 3F--Tuned by Bische Performance--
    B7 2.0t

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I came across a rumor that an Old Guy in Western Maryland somewhere was rediscovering his personal vehicle. Rumors must be true
    I hate it when my car acts like a little bitch, treating me like the bitch

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
    Maybe they under rated it 'new' to reflect it's actual output after carbon build-up :-)

My stock B7 2.0t is night and day compared to my previously stock B6 1.8t. The 2.0t has such a more useable torque curve.
    Oh yea. My current b7 is definitely slower than my old Stage 1+ 1.8t but it has so much more useable torque down low, its WAY WAY WAY easier to drive in the city. The 1.8t was nothing nothing nothing, then oh hey, the turbo finally spooled. God forbid you're on a hill and you actually need to accelerate without burning the shit out of the clutch. It made the gas pedal more or less an on-off switch when driving around the city (I live and (used to) work downtown so I had lots of traffic lights and hills to contend with). The 2.0t is just SO much more refined and easier to drive without feeling like you're wringing the damn engine out all the time.
    -CP

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Oh yea. My current b7 is definitely slower than my old Stage 1+ 1.8t but it has so much more useable torque down low, its WAY WAY WAY easier to drive in the city. The 1.8t was nothing nothing nothing, then oh hey, the turbo finally spooled. God forbid you're on a hill and you actually need to accelerate without burning the shit out of the clutch. It made the gas pedal more or less an on-off switch when driving around the city (I live and (used to) work downtown so I had lots of traffic lights and hills to contend with). The 2.0t is just SO much more refined and easier to drive without feeling like you're wringing the damn engine out all the time.
    Such high praise for the b7.
    Yet ur sooo fond of the b6 forum. Ironic.
    😝

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

It's a love hate relationship with my b7, haha.

Also I definitely still miss my USP...
    -CP

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

^Thought you had both a B6 and B7?
    I hate it when my car acts like a little bitch, treating me like the bitch

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

It's a love hate relationship with my b7, haha.

I believe that statement holds true for any older audi owner.
    Unless its a newer one with warranty. Even then u got to hassle with the service ppl at the stealership.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Playing With Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Seerlah View Post
    ^Thought you had both a B6 and B7?
    Nope, sold the b6 a few years ago (to one of A4Darkness's buddies) and took over DD duties of the b7 from my wife. Bought her a CPO 2012 Q5. Now I only have one car to wrench on.

I like my b7 but it's stock stock stock, not even tuned, so it's a wee bit boring.

And since I'm feeling nostalgic:

I miss that car.
    -CP